So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline
Why would you even post that?

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

We put them in a lathe, back cut under the cap, and then bevel the pushrod to re install. I did 3 sets this way with no issues. It really is quite simple

So you took pre-made pushrods(or ones with the cap already installed) and cut below the cap and then reinstalled the caps?

I have a lathe, and i was planning on using it to cut down my rods. im sure it will do a lot cleaner job than trying to do it with a bench grinder or something else.

Not only is it is a lot cleaner, its less time consuming, easier to duplicate, and more accurate.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: Cut to length Pushrods [Re: HealthServices] #609792
02/13/10 03:44 PM
02/13/10 03:44 PM
Alabama
Mopar-Al Offline
master
Mopar-Al  Offline
master

Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We put them in a lathe, back cut under the cap, and then bevel the pushrod to re install. I did 3 sets this way with no issues. It really is quite simple

So you took pre-made pushrods(or ones with the cap already installed) and cut below the cap and then reinstalled the caps?

I have a lathe, and i was planning on using it to cut down my rods. im sure it will do a lot cleaner job than trying to do it with a bench grinder or something else.

Not only is it is a lot cleaner, its less time consuming, easier to duplicate, and more accurate.

Make sure you measure twice n cut once Yeah it's no big secrete and simple to do. Just remember that after you press them back on and install them , that you need to check the adjustment again, they may seat in deeper after you start up, but hadn't had any go over 10 thou. or so.

Re: Cut to length Pushrods [Re: HealthServices] #609793
02/14/10 02:12 PM
02/14/10 02:12 PM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, if you have a lathe then use it. At the time all I had access to was a hack saw and grinder (and 12" dial calipers.)

Re: Cut to length Pushrods [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #609794
02/14/10 06:55 PM
02/14/10 06:55 PM
Michigan
MNobody Offline
master
MNobody  Offline
master

Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

Why not just buy ones that are the right length and be done with it?

Because there is no such thing if you have a milled deck, milled heads then combined with a large assortment of head gasket thickness choices.

Years ago i made 1/8" copper head gaskets to drop the compression on a 440 and used buick pushrods because they were the length i needed. If you know the length you need check other brand lengths they may work out instead of going custom or cutting your own.

Page 2 of 2 1 2