02/08/10 11:27 PM
02/08/10 11:27 PM
North Carolina, USA
H
Husker1 Offline OP
Husker1  Offline OP
H

North Carolina, USA
i am rebuilding front suspension on my '65 b-body. i have purchased firm feels urethane kit with the lower pins that have grease fittings in them. after reading an older magazine article they said that the don't like the urethane because it does not retain the lca. does anyone have any thougts about this?

thanks

Re: LCA bushings OEM rubber or urethane? [Re: Husker1] #608369
02/09/10 08:03 AM
02/09/10 08:03 AM
Australia
D
dodgy Offline
dodgy  Offline
D

Australia
I myself have always fitted the rubber LCA bushes to my car's because i beleave rubber is the better product.
i've had them caster rod bushes and sway bar link bushes in urethane and with in 5 years they turned to crap (split,crumbley) but this may have had something to do with the brand of them as i have fitted another brand(nolathane) of caster rod bushes in urethane and they seem to be holding up quite well.

now with your LCA bushes, the rubber bush will only let the arm pivot in the rubber it's self while the urethane will have back and forth movement as well and this is what you don't wan't in that bush.
if you are set on the urethane LCA bush you will need to get the type that has the outer sleve like the rubber bush, they have them here in Australia so i'd say that you must have them over there aswell.
cheers Luke.

Re: LCA bushings OEM rubber or urethane? [Re: Husker1] #608370
02/09/10 02:04 PM
02/09/10 02:04 PM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
i rebuilt my front end 12 years ago - all poly except for the rubber lca's like you mentioned -

i went throught it last year - guess what was shot? the rubber lca's
This time I went with poly and have been very happy.

you should get new shafts, but i'd never go back to rubber again. The t-bar located the shaft, so the bushing does not retain anything.

Re: LCA bushings OEM rubber or urethane? [Re: DJVCuda] #608371
02/17/10 06:06 PM
02/17/10 06:06 PM
New York City
kingrichard116 Offline
kingrichard116  Offline

New York City
I myself have rebuilt my Dart's front end(using rubber bushings). Before purchasing any bushings I spoke with the guys at Firm Feel. The only thing they DO recommend with the poly bushings other than the shafts are adjustable strut rods. They suggest them because the poly bushing and greased lower pin have a tendency to push the LCA rearward slightly. Adding the adjustable strut rods will remedy this problem allowing more forward tension on the control arm. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting much load on those tiny locking clips at the rear of the cross member holding the torsion bars in. In the future if I retain my factory K-Frame I will go with the poly's/pins/rods.