02/07/10 11:27 AM
02/07/10 11:27 AM
central CT
cudazappa Offline OP
super stock
cudazappa  Offline OP
super stock

central CT
I was wondering, does anyone sell aluminum rings (rim shells?) and inner "plates" for weld your own rims. I think I saw OzHemi with something like that?

Just wondering because 17x9 w/ 0 offset is not too common and generally expensive (except for the steel cragar versions) and I'm thinking 10" wide for the rear, too...

thanks in advance for any answers...

1971 Challenger
Re: 2 pc aluminum rims, make your own? [Re: cudazappa] #606886
02/07/10 01:16 PM
02/07/10 01:16 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
I buy them right from the manufacture in quantity. It has gotten harder to get the outers lately, since the major company that was doing them went under (Aleris) There is a smaller locally company doing them too, and I just buy as many as I can as they do runs. (Both soft lip and standard)

On the centers, it all depends on what you want? Most of the wheel companies out there will not sell components over the counter, but I mainly buy right from the guy making them again (or through him from another local wheel company he does casting and billet cnc ones)
Of course if you have a certain wheel in mind, you may not be able to get the centers to them. In that case it would be easier to just buy a set of the wheels and have the back spacing moved to what you want.

If you do get the outers and centers, the outers have to be warmed up before the centers go in, and make sure you have them in square of course. Best thing is to spin them to make sure the run-out is in check before welding them together too.

The ones I am running on my car.. This is a pic from when I got them, I have the front outers sitting near them too now Soon as I get the front end of the car together I can measure for backspacing and have them assembled.

I've got some 18" Boyds around (old style ones) and think they are near centered backspace

Re: 2 pc aluminum rims, make your own? [Re: OzHemi] #606887
02/07/10 02:16 PM
02/07/10 02:16 PM
Silsbee,Tx
-
-Cuda Offline
top fuel
-Cuda  Offline
top fuel
-

Silsbee,Tx
What kind of price do your custom wheels run Oz? Say 18x8 and 18x10 similar to those you got pictured or BBS type. I think my 'Cuda would look good with a setup like that. I also like those Foose Challengers but the price is crazy.

Re: 2 pc aluminum rims, make your own? [Re: -Cuda] #606888
02/07/10 03:33 PM
02/07/10 03:33 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
I'm not sure how many more centers like mine they have..it was a limited run they did awhile ago for some Porsche road race cars. (They are forged),would have to check and see on them for quantity left.

Most of the other billet ones I get end up around around the $450ish a piece area if I get them all ready assembled/ready to go this end.

Most of the time we just assemble them in Oz, since that way we can set up the offset for what ever they need to be. Get them assembled here now and then with a standard setup for first gen Camaro for example, since we sell alot of those too

The thing I do like about mine (aside from the look) is that they use a standard outer, where most of the billet stuff uses a soft lip outer. That does make the wheel look larger (since the ID is larger) but they are much easier to scratch, and the outers cost more (and harder to get for now too)

Re: 2 pc aluminum rims, make your own? [Re: OzHemi] #606889
02/07/10 03:37 PM
02/07/10 03:37 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
BTW...I was originally thinking about going with the same wheels I used on this car on mine...but once I saw the other ones, I changed my mind, just thought they had a cool and unique (and race bred) look too them. Had thought about trying the centers painted a charcoal color even

5789007-DSC02021.jpg (41 downloads)
Re: 2 pc aluminum rims, make your own? [Re: -Cuda] #606890
02/07/10 03:46 PM
02/07/10 03:46 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Oh, and one other thing I have found over the years, be it Aleris, Carlise (people who make Cragar amoungst others) or my local place for outers and centers.....wheel component suppliers all seem to work on the body-shop-guy rule....

They do stuff as they feel like it, and are never in a rush

I went around in circle with Carlise lately on 32 pallets of outers I ordered, and they were just dribbling along with 6 pallets, then 12, then 5,then... etc...like they don't want the money

I am still waiting on about 6 pallets worth actually from an order 2 months ago.

Re: 2 pc aluminum rims, make your own? [Re: OzHemi] #606891
02/07/10 03:58 PM
02/07/10 03:58 PM
Wichita,KS
B
Blakcharger440 Offline
top fuel
Blakcharger440  Offline
top fuel
B

Wichita,KS
I am liking the rims on your car also OZ! Hmmmm...maybe we could get a group buy going!

Re: 2 pc aluminum rims, make your own? [Re: OzHemi] #606892
02/07/10 04:05 PM
02/07/10 04:05 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Online content
I Win
AndyF  Online Content
I Win
A

Oregon
It would be kind of cool if someone would make some Mopar specific wheels with the correct offset and center bore diameter. As far as I know, nobody sells a selection of Mopar rims that actually fit correctly.

Re: 2 pc aluminum rims, make your own? [Re: AndyF] #606893
02/07/10 04:10 PM
02/07/10 04:10 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

It would be kind of cool if someone would make some Mopar specific wheels with the correct offset and center bore diameter. As far as I know, nobody sells a selection of Mopar rims that actually fit correctly.

Getting the centers made that way would be easy...just have to specify to the guys when they are cut. The center bore hole is one of the first things machined, and the rough size hole before machining should be small enough to get the desired size. (I don't remember off hand what they start at, but would vary with different manufactures as well)

As for offset, most the custom wheel companies built them to suit as it is, so just tell them the offset you want ?

Aside from CNC cut billet centers, there is also a local wheel company who does cast stuff, makes the mold, pours and machines. He'll do custom stuff and make molds to suit, but just a matter of paying for it. (we thought about it before) but the guy is just real hard to deal with I have found in person..

Re: 2 pc aluminum rims, make your own? [Re: OzHemi] #606894
02/07/10 04:25 PM
02/07/10 04:25 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Here is a picture as well, for those not familiar with the soft lip vs standard outer different. You can see the standard ones here..

These were the most common type for a long time. You can see the step shape on the edge of the rim, and how the center sits up on the edge.

The more modern stuff has gone to the soft lip outer, which these are (ones on the orange Camaro) The center bore is larger (and hence uses a different size center) and make for a larger 'opening' and a more open looking wheel. All though again if you look at the edge, they are more prone to curb rashing too.. (and harder to fix if they get scuffed as well)

Re: 2 pc aluminum rims, make your own? [Re: OzHemi] #606895
02/07/10 05:03 PM
02/07/10 05:03 PM
central CT
cudazappa Offline OP
super stock
cudazappa  Offline OP
super stock

central CT
Quote:

I buy them right from the manufacture in quantity. It has gotten harder to get the outers lately, since the major company that was doing them went under (Aleris) There is a smaller locally company doing them too, and I just buy as many as I can as they do runs. (Both soft lip and standard)

On the centers, it all depends on what you want? Most of the wheel companies out there will not sell components over the counter, but I mainly buy right from the guy making them again (or through him from another local wheel company he does casting and billet cnc ones)
Of course if you have a certain wheel in mind, you may not be able to get the centers to them. In that case it would be easier to just buy a set of the wheels and have the back spacing moved to what you want.

If you do get the outers and centers, the outers have to be warmed up before the centers go in, and make sure you have them in square of course. Best thing is to spin them to make sure the run-out is in check before welding them together too.

The ones I am running on my car.. This is a pic from when I got them, I have the front outers sitting near them too now Soon as I get the front end of the car together I can measure for backspacing and have them assembled.

I've got some 18" Boyds around (old style ones) and think they are near centered backspace

Thanks, those are the rims I was thinking of! I actually like that style... Thanks for the input. So it sounds like a know a guy who knows a guy deal... and that I'd have to buy quantity (rather than 4 inners and 4 outers) ouch...

as for your 18s, the reason I haven't jumped is a) their 18s and I want to stay with 17s, and b) the 2 hole patterns won't pass tech here with the local club (I checked, they won't allow them at Lime Rock)

1971 Challenger
Re: 2 pc aluminum rims, make your own? [Re: cudazappa] #606896
02/07/10 06:22 PM
02/07/10 06:22 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
If you did want 4 outers, next time I put an order in for a bunch, I can just add 4 more on (I'll be getting another big batch next month...assuming they are in stock ) I will probably get with the company in the next couple weeks to see what sizes they are running on the outer machine to try and que up what I'll want.

My wheels (ones on the Torana/red car) have those other 5 small holes inbetween the lug holes..I asked the guy about them, since the wheel were purpose built in single bolt pattern...and he said they were just to save weight Being 'race' wheels they have no provision for center caps either. I thought of maybe having an interal o-ring groove machined into them to use the standard aluminum pop in cap like the twin spoke wheels do.

On the Boyds...I hear you on the dual drilled...but just got them that way
If you just want a "spokey" sort of 17" wheel, I can keep an eye out for some good used ones. I do come across them. After a good polish they come up great, just like the Boyds did. And even if the wheels were all 17" x 8"s for example, could just get the centers cut out and welded into some 10's