01/23/10 09:54 PM
01/23/10 09:54 PM
Minnesota, USA
M
minnesota guy Offline
minnesota guy  Offline
M

Minnesota, USA
YOur plugs sound about right..but try a lighter metering rod spring..and if acces to strip kit..got with a little thicker metering rod..This reduces jet circumference so it acts like a smaller jet at idle..

Once on the gas however vacuum is gone and the metering rods release so that jets get more fuel..

From my experience racing with this carb for 20 years, reducing or increasing jet size can make all the difference in the world...

In your case, if the metering rods dont do the trick, keep some extra jets on hand..
first -drop primaries down to .095--and keep secondaries the same at .095...

See if that helps your acceleration...if not, go back to what you had and keep some bigger jets on hand as well...

my experience is jet sizes are more sensitive to it running correctly than metering rods and springs...

Your fuel pump is fine..I have ran many of these on small and big blocks..they do not give too much pressure....It is a good fit for a 340...

Idling and revving in your garage is a poor indicator on fixing problems. You must get to an area to do bonzai runs....

Re: 625 AFB on 340 too rich, kinda long... [Re: 70AARcuda] #591458
01/23/10 10:08 PM
01/23/10 10:08 PM
Winlock, Wa
F
fshd4it Offline OP
fshd4it  Offline OP
F

Winlock, Wa
Tony...checked the springs @ idle, they're good. Posest...I'll get a gauge hooked up (even temporary) and see what my fuel pressure is. I took the car out for a run & remembered why it was parked so long. It used to try and die coming to a stop (not so right now), but it still has an annoying stumble when coming off idle. And while my butt dyno may not be the best, I know this thing has a lot more to give. I'm gonna spend some quality time making sure all the "little stuff" is right (choke, timing, distributor fixes, fuel press, etc) is right before getting too worked up. Thanks to all for your help so far

In order to know what you want, you'll probably have to find out what you don't want.
Re: 625 AFB on 340 too rich, kinda long... [Re: fshd4it] #591459
01/23/10 10:29 PM
01/23/10 10:29 PM
Montana
P
Posest Offline
super stock
Posest  Offline
super stock
P

Montana
My last venture with one was when it would run great then horrible then great again. It was very random. I eventually found out that tapping the top of the carb with a crescent wrench would make it run normal again. That is when I figured out that the pressure would stick the needle and seat open and flood the engine out at idle. Higher RPM and it would run like a top, it was mainly idle to half throttle that acted up.

Page 2 of 2 1 2