01/10/10 01:39 PM
01/10/10 01:39 PM
Santa Rosa,CA USA
67dodgeracer Offline OP
enthusiast
67dodgeracer  Offline OP
enthusiast

Santa Rosa,CA USA
What has been everyone's experience with shortening front end travel to reduce reaction time on a stock front suspension car?Given that the car would still hook,does it make a big difference as opposed to having all of the travel?

Re: Front end travel vs.reaction time? [Re: 67dodgeracer] #578533
01/10/10 01:42 PM
01/10/10 01:42 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
For the best results on your car test that at the track

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Front end travel vs.reaction time? [Re: 67dodgeracer] #578534
01/10/10 02:15 PM
01/10/10 02:15 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
It seems that my RT's got a little quicker when I went to a tighter front shock. But I believe any differences will be small, maybe a hundredth or two.

Personally I never liked the idea of limiting the travel, just the rate.

Re: Front end travel vs.reaction time? [Re: Locomotion] #578535
01/10/10 02:24 PM
01/10/10 02:24 PM
Santa Rosa,CA USA
67dodgeracer Offline OP
enthusiast
67dodgeracer  Offline OP
enthusiast

Santa Rosa,CA USA
Cab,unfortunately our local track isn't worth a darn this time of year on test and tune days...so the only time I could try these things is on raceday.Trying to get as much real world info as possible in case I try things on race day when the tracks ok.

Myron,that was my next question...whether or not it was better to leave the full travel and tighten the shocks.

Re: Front end travel vs.reaction time? [Re: 67dodgeracer] #578536
01/10/10 02:35 PM
01/10/10 02:35 PM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

acworth / N. georgia - south e...
i agree with Myron...
leaving the front end travel will keep the car more consistant..(as long as the wheel stand isnt un manageable)

There are 3 issues..you can try to change..

first is where you put your car in relation to the beams,"THE STAGE"
any fixed part of the car that trips the stage and pre-stage beams..and how far you can roll out before activation of the timer..
shortening up this distance can inprove/reduce the time to trigger the clock.ie; front tire diameter,front spoiler height-lenght..ect..
or deep stage for instance..

2nd is your reference point ...
the trigger ...point at which your brain reacts. if you can pick a different point..it will change things.
most would leave off of the last yellow..or a slow car or long rollout you might try leaving earlier..

next is the mechanical Lash...or the time all the internal or moving parts take to load the driveline,the rear tire,load the rear suspension,unload the front suspension and move forward far enough to uncover the lights and activate the clock.
this last part seems to be where your question is pertaining to..
you may try more launch rpm, or changes in both front and rear shock settings...
a trans brake will quicken things up here..a bunch.although it may not fit class rules..

now one train of thought is to make all of these 3 issues as short as possible...
HOWEVER ...you might try elongating the #1 stage point/rollout...add a beam blocker under the chassis..to either infront of the front tire or behind the front tire..
then moving your trigger point sooner..
fwiw..multiple ways/ combinations to make/efrect a change.

fwiw. ive been entrigued by adding more rollout...ie a beam blocker behind the front tire
you could leave sooner..move first..and still not go red...
in theory youd have a head start..fwiw...or it could be looked at as a shorter distance to the stripe..
this may be off you point...but its a thought process to factor ...

cheapst

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: Front end travel vs.reaction time? [Re: 67dodgeracer] #578537
01/10/10 02:54 PM
01/10/10 02:54 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
Quote:

Myron,that was my next question...whether or not it was better to leave the full travel and tighten the shocks.

I must admit that I haven't tried both ways to get a solid comparison. But it seems that any abrupt stop in suspension travel may upset the suspension's ability to transfer weight and/or keep it transfered so the rear tires stay planted.

Ladder bar and 4-link cars tend to work better with limited front end travel because the rear suspension is more tuneable and does more of the work to begin with.

Re: Front end travel vs.reaction time? [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #578538
01/10/10 05:18 PM
01/10/10 05:18 PM
Mooresburg, Tn
'
'72CudaRacer Offline
top fuel
'72CudaRacer  Offline
top fuel
'

Mooresburg, Tn
Quote:

add a beam blocker under the chassis..to either infront of the front tire or behind the front tire..

fwiw. ive been entrigued by adding more rollout...ie a beam blocker behind the front tire
you could leave sooner..move first..and still not go red...
in theory youd have a head start..fwiw...or it could be looked at as a shorter distance to the stripe..

cheapst

This isn't leagal. "ground clearance minimun 3" from front of veh to 12" behind center line of steering axle, minimum 2" remainder except oil pan and headers"
"Stripe takers" are leagal, but must be at least 3" high.
Brian