D
DZJim Offline
enthusiast
DZJim  Offline
enthusiast
D

DuPont, Washington
Quote:

Summery: Synthetic motor oil does not break down like conventional motor oil and when kept clean by efficient filtration, can last considerably longer than oils/filters NOT designed for that type of use.

When extending oil changes past 3,000-miles, the accumulation of contaminates in the oil could be problematic if you’re using an oil filter NOT designed for that type of use. There ARE regular spin-on type oil filters available that can filter motor oil efficiently for extended periods of time without loading up and becoming plugged.

Click HERE for a real world independent oil filter comparison.

While some continue to condemn the practice of extended oil changes, there are others successfully doing extended oil changes and have independent laboratory analysis to show their motor oil, oil filter and air filter combination makes an extended oil change possible.

You also have proof in the independent laboratory analysis as shown below:

20,000 Mile Oil Change, 2004 Ford Crown Victoria - link

18,200 Mile Oil Change – 2006 Subaru Outback – link

15,708 Mile Oil Change, 2004 Toyota Sequoia - link

30,624 Mile Oil Change, 2003 Honda S2000 – link

See also, The 3,000-mile Oil Change MYTH - link

Amsoil pitch. Bobistheoilguy...hangout for cranks, crackpots, and nutcases...

Re: From standard oil to Synthetic [Re: DZJim] #549507
12/11/09 09:58 PM
12/11/09 09:58 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
This whole thing sounds like a government project where there is pore spent on analysis feasability studies than it would cost to just go ahead and do it.

Re: From standard oil to Synthetic [Re: MoparforLife] #549508
12/11/09 11:41 PM
12/11/09 11:41 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Or you can waste oil and drive up the cost for us all.

An oil change isn't cheap these days anyway, don't know where you all are buying cheap oil and quality filters at.

Re: From standard oil to Synthetic [Re: DZJim] #549509
12/12/09 12:05 AM
12/12/09 12:05 AM
Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
Quote:

Quote:

Summery: Synthetic motor oil does not break down like conventional motor oil and when kept clean by efficient filtration, can last considerably longer than oils/filters NOT designed for that type of use.

When extending oil changes past 3,000-miles, the accumulation of contaminates in the oil could be problematic if you’re using an oil filter NOT designed for that type of use. There ARE regular spin-on type oil filters available that can filter motor oil efficiently for extended periods of time without loading up and becoming plugged.

Click HERE for a real world independent oil filter comparison.

While some continue to condemn the practice of extended oil changes, there are others successfully doing extended oil changes and have independent laboratory analysis to show their motor oil, oil filter and air filter combination makes an extended oil change possible.

You also have proof in the independent laboratory analysis as shown below:

20,000 Mile Oil Change, 2004 Ford Crown Victoria - link

18,200 Mile Oil Change – 2006 Subaru Outback – link

15,708 Mile Oil Change, 2004 Toyota Sequoia - link

30,624 Mile Oil Change, 2003 Honda S2000 – link

See also, The 3,000-mile Oil Change MYTH - link

Amsoil pitch. Bobistheoilguy...hangout for cranks, crackpots, and nutcases...

Quote:

Amsoil pitch.

Actually the one oil change link I provided is Mobil 1 Extended Performance. There are many readily available motor oils that perform quite well past 3,000-miles.

Quote:

Bobistheoilguy...hangout for cranks, crackpots, and nutcases...

There is certainly no shortage of cranks, crackpots, and nutcases anywhere these days. At Bob Is The Oil Guy (BITOG), there are also Lubrication Engineers and others high up in the lubricants industry that are advanced in the topic of motor oil. For example, (Johnny Petree - link) , otherwise known as Johnny is retired from Pennzoil and is very knowledgeable. There are others as well.

Re: From standard oil to Synthetic [Re: SomeCarGuy] #549510
12/12/09 12:23 AM
12/12/09 12:23 AM
Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
Quote:

Or you can waste oil and drive up the cost for us all.

An oil change isn't cheap these days anyway, don't know where you all are buying cheap oil and quality filters at.

Good call SomeCarGuy.

Unfortunately, the cultural norm in America right now is spend more money when you don’t have to, and waste perfectly good resources when you don’t have to; it’s a throw away society.

On the bright side, there are many learning new ways of doing things and taking advantage of modern day technology as an alternative to tired and outdated recommendations that go back 80-years.

Extended life synthetic motor oils are generally a greater initial investment over conventional petroleum based oils, but can actually reduce operating expense and unnecessary waste over the long term of which has been proven by 30-years of in the field service and Used Oil Analysis.

Re: From standard oil to Synthetic [Re: CompSyn] #549511
12/13/09 11:33 PM
12/13/09 11:33 PM
federal way, WA
74chargr Offline
74chargr  Offline

federal way, WA
I noticed that I tend to have to add oil on extended oil changes. The extended mobile 1 seems to break down. I drive my cars like I stole them so that has something to do with it. But anyway that is the only difference I have seen. Synthetic is proven to reduce temp and wear. If it your engine wears a lot less why can't you run the oil longer? I run at least till 7.5k on my synthetic. The extended mobile1 is guaranteed up till 10k or one year. Modern technology why not put it to use? The cars seem to like it.

74 Charger SE 87 Shelby Lancer 80 1 ton bread box 71 Duster rest in pieces
Re: From standard oil to Synthetic [Re: 74chargr] #549512
12/16/09 09:28 AM
12/16/09 09:28 AM
Elk Grove, Calif.
B
bigblock340power Offline OP
master
bigblock340power  Offline OP
master
B

Elk Grove, Calif.
I've changed over now for a while and I think the car likes it. Can't get the grill to quit smiling. Seams to run quieter, smoother, and I can turn the radio on much easier . Windshield wipers work better, and the trunk opens smoother. Oh yeah, the seat heater warms up faster too .

Disclaimer:
All comments above may very with your particular application. Devices mentioned above (indicating working better) could only be wishful thinking. Do not pour any type of oil, synthetic oil, or any other liquid on any of the above mentioned automotive components. Price may very in your area.
OK, I think my a$$ (sorry, rear end) is covered now.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3