Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 37 38
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: 68KillerBee] #506037
11/05/09 01:20 AM
11/05/09 01:20 AM
A collage of whims
topside Online content
Too Many Posts
topside  Online Content
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
My '70s were in L.A., and Wed, Fri & Sat nights we'd drive all over Van Nuys, cruising the Blvd and catching street races on parts of Chandler, Woodley Ave, Burbank Blvd, and a couple places up at the north end of the San Fernando Valley. At the time I had a '57 Chevy with a T-10 and 4.88s and a small block; the car had been built for D/MP and some of the street equipment (signals, heater, etc) were removed. I don't think I ever powershifted it lower than an indicated 7500RPM on the old Sun tach of that era. I was one of the first to run narrow "frontrunners" on the street. I drove that car every day to work & wherever, in spite of no registration or plates, and barely any mufflers. 70MPH on the 101 was about 5000RPM, IIRC, and for a year I did that for 20 miles a day. It could & did badly beat a 406 Galaxie, a Hemi RR, God knows how many other cars; undefeated for 2 years, which might be luck, but mid-twelves would get the job done back then. I'd get the occasional fix-it ticket, and got "temporary operating" stickers from the DMV instead of having to smog (!) & license it. That was a great period, but as L.A. got more crowded, it became obvious that I needed to quit before someone got hurt, and run at the track. Sold the car, new owner got beat, motor went into a '62 Corvette, and I last saw the '57 in Van Nuys sometime around 1980, parked on the street.
I'm still amazed at my good fortune to have been there at the perfect time; and don't get me started on Lions!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Qbird] #506038
11/05/09 09:58 AM
11/05/09 09:58 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Fountain has long been redeveloped and speed bumps introduced to the strip. A giant mall is right across the way on the other side of the killing fields.
I remember when the cops would find dead bodies out there in the weeds during the late 70's and 80's. I'm wondering if they were extras from the fatal crashes there. After our hey days and nights, the animals from Columbia St. came over and trashed the haunt with their stupid modern day racing antics, if you want to even call it that, hence the fatal crashes.

South is desolate and redeveloped also. A few out-houses have been built along the shut down area. That's my title for condominiums.
Siverado, the unmarked Grand Fury and its occupant must long be retired now.

The only action on a special notice situation is The White top, a name just to protect the not so innocent. $$$$ is the only language spoken there.

Newark's The Hole is on a special call of duty also. The last of the Diehards only run at these parts, because the track is now trying to court the streeters into getting it on at the track. Fun, but not exciting like the street.
Every one says the same thing. It's like covert poker in the basements of Chinatown compared to the legality of Vegas.

My little spot that is an icon from way back is the old Connecting. I've had a few runs there in the not so distant past and every now and then spot check my car there to make sure the cobs are out of the cogs. I feel like the Ghost of christmas tree past there.
Always nice to hear your intentions Tony. You are the best.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506039
11/05/09 10:12 AM
11/05/09 10:12 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

You know, come to think of it, in the early 90's, I remember saying to some cats that a street race show withholding the ID's of place and face would be a smash on TV. Cats laughed.
Who's PINK in the face now. I am, because I should have just gone and done it with a great proposal and bring the real DEAL OR NO DEAL to the screen. My art career gets in the way of some mischievous fun some times.

I think to bring some new jazz to the popular show on TV now is for a one episode special guest appearance by the TOP ARM DROPPERS of our time in major cities to guest DROP on the show. I know there is some of us out there still recovering from LONG ARM syndrome. LOL.
Kind of give a relief to Richard and make for real trash talking. I promise I won't upstage him.
I'd rep New YORK in a ZOO YORK minute. Ready for my close up. Tony, we in or what? LOL.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506040
11/05/09 10:46 AM
11/05/09 10:46 AM
boston mass-moving to long isl...
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

Quote:

. It was well and alive till 85-86. I was there and the designated starter for quite a few years.

guess it was then.. i left 'the rock'(staten island) in 74, and for a couple/few years prior to 74, south ave had died... there was the occassional race there, and arden ave, but when 'leo' would see a large group of muscle rummbling on forrest/richmond ave, they knew the destination and got there first.

and then as u say development happened,and the fat lady sang and that was the end...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: MikeyT] #506041
11/05/09 11:26 AM
11/05/09 11:26 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
In NYC you had plenty of "bad actors" running the streets & some were even good enough to turn pro or semi-pro. Those guys would prefer not to own up to that part of their past, but those of us who were there Remember & miss them. The "Mutt Bros" with Ronnie Lyles certainly desreves mention. Scott Shafiroff (YES, the engine builder) was out there, Bernie Agaman a VERY good S/S racer was there, "Brooklyn Heavy" (aka Rufus Boyd)who on occasion had Herb McCandless drive for him was there with his "Wild Pumpkin Race Team", A strange guy I only knew as "Hogan" with a red,white & blue '66 Chevelle was pretty good ---and these are only guys I remember after 30+ years! I'll give credit to most anyone who could street-race in NYC back then as it all was a combination of good car, good luck, mind-games & the fine art of BS'ing that earned you the respect of your peers. Sadly, all that seems to have disappeared. The young guys simply have lost the fine "art" of street-racing & its etiquette. But for a few of us old guys that are stilla round & occassionally square-off with each other,we still remember .
I'd love to hears some of the "pros" accounts of back then. I can remember seeing some of them haging around, trying to hide until they actually had to get in the car & race then just beating on the car like they were at the track, not caring if or when the cops would show up. I always believed they paid someone off, as the bets were too high & the rep/BSing was too long for the cops to simply not be there without them getting paid-off.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Mopar Grandpa] #506042
11/05/09 12:07 PM
11/05/09 12:07 PM
michigan
70 buzz Offline
top fuel
70 buzz  Offline
top fuel

michigan
Anyone from Marion Ohio? four way street through town which ran in a circle. Used to drag from one stop light to another. It was hard for the cops to catch us because we new which side of the loop they were on. We called it shooting the loop. Every make and model of muscle car was there on the weekends.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: 67Satty] #506043
11/05/09 12:21 PM
11/05/09 12:21 PM
minnesota
Kirby Offline
pro stock
Kirby  Offline
pro stock

minnesota
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Baddest of the bad, in it's own time and place, was my buddy's '67 Belvedere. In Minneapolis, in the mid-80s, for one or two summers, nothing would touch it. I'm talking 30 wins, zero losses record. It was a 440, .590 DC cam, tunnel ram, 3800 stall Turbo Action, 3.91s, SS Springs, subframe connectors, L60-15 street tires. But that thing would always hook hard on the street. The fastest it ever ran at the strip was low 12s but that was fast enough at that time and place to be untouchable on the street.

The body had been pulled out of a junkyard, and it had "Rock and Roll Machine" painted in big letters on the sides. Everyone laughed at it until they got stomped by it.

Big Al's gold one?

No, but I remember that car and guy. It was a gold '66 or '67 Coronet that used to cruise Central Ave. in northeast Minneapolis. I remember he was running aluminum rods on the street, something we considered pretty radical at the time. I don't think my friend ever raced him.

Big Al is a trip! He's like an idiot savant with a six pack set up- he's helped me tune my T/A, and A-12 Bee. He really knows his stuff- and a lot of tricks too. He still has the Coronet- and has rebuilt the motor again- now a very nasty set up- he figures he'll get into the 10's now. The one thing that blew me away about him- is that he's gotta have a burning in the ash tray at all times. I used to go on tour with the Dead in the 80's, and I have NEVER seen anybody get after it like that in my life. Great guy- he should have the Coronet back on the street by now- if not, spring for sure. He has TONS of street racing/cop ditching stories. One thing I think is nuts- is he has a nasty shot of NOS on his car- and a 4speed to boot. The car looks exactly like you remember it- as he's never restored it cosmetically- old school look still-

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506044
11/05/09 01:28 PM
11/05/09 01:28 PM
murfreesboro, TN
Q
Qbird Offline
mopar
Qbird  Offline
mopar
Q

murfreesboro, TN
Quote:

I'd rep New YORK in a ZOO YORK minute. Ready for my close up. Tony, we in or what? LOL.

Bro, I've thought about doin something pink for a while now...but my personal fleet is too dear to me, and dedicated race car cash goes into my Fuel Car a couple of dimes at a time...but I do think a few of us old school NY Street Rats could make that whole deal real interesting.
It sucks to hear that all the old haunts are built out and populated up. The scene we used to have was amazing...I think we took it for granted back in the day. There was always somebody to race somewhere. There were times I remember running the Fount early with one car, heading over to South Ave for the late shift with another car, and then going out to the Hole to check out their deal just before the sun came up, all in one night. I'd eat dinner, wash up, stash a few smokes in the lining of my jacket in case I got busted, and then GO RACING! 7 nights a week.
Remember those whack jobs down in Red Hook? That was one place I never had the stones to try. Narrow little strip of pavement that ended up in the drink. Fun stuff but I didn't have any scuba gear.
Man, I would do it all again in a heartbeat, but the scene just does not seem to exist anymore. Tell ya what Lee, and this is a promise. I've got one particular beast going together in my backyard that I think might be able to do some damage to that big asss Dodge of yours. I'm thinkin you and me, heads up, no break, three count on the pavement of your choice...sometime before one of us is dead. You down for that?

Last edited by Qbird; 11/05/09 01:29 PM.
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Qbird] #506045
11/05/09 02:01 PM
11/05/09 02:01 PM
Sebring, Florida
M
Mopar Grandpa Offline OP
top fuel
Mopar Grandpa  Offline OP
top fuel
M

Sebring, Florida
[ I'm thinkin you and me, heads up, no break, three count on the pavement of your choice...sometime before one of us is dead. You down for that?

And for the entertainment of you young pups.....this is how it all began. A little trash talk, a little dare and the race is on. Just let me know the place and time and I'll flag you. LOVE IT! (In all seriousness, take it to the track where it's safe.)

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Mopar Grandpa] #506046
11/05/09 03:03 PM
11/05/09 03:03 PM
michigan woods
imfixinmopars426 Offline
master
imfixinmopars426  Offline
master

michigan woods
couple of cool memories are in the fall of 76,riding on the school bus,i kept seeing,in one of yards of the homes we passed, a really bad looking 55 chev,straight axle,flip front and "mighty mouse" painted on the 1/4's. now that was the start of me needing a fast car!
another in 1978 or so,my dad had a insurance agency uptown,and i mowed grass,and walking to the near gas station,i heard a fantastic engine start up,and clear out! i spun around to see a faded,but clean maverick leaving the gas station,cragers,open headers,and tom lipman driving.the local wildman,now dead druggie. he left the station,banging gears,and front end looking a little light,and posi's all over the mainstreet. later i found out,that his dad had a boss 302 wrecked,and they cobbed it into the maverick,man i can still see that bad machine,and toms wild look.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506047
11/05/09 03:06 PM
11/05/09 03:06 PM
GA
S
steved033 Offline
steved033  Offline
S

GA
Quote:

You know, come to think of it, in the early 90's, I remember saying to some cats that a street race show withholding the ID's of place and face would be a smash on TV. Cats laughed.
Who's PINK in the face now. I am, because I should have just gone and done it with a great proposal and bring the real DEAL OR NO DEAL to the screen. My art career gets in the way of some mischievous fun some times.

I think to bring some new jazz to the popular show on TV now is for a one episode special guest appearance by the TOP ARM DROPPERS of our time in major cities to guest DROP on the show. I know there is some of us out there still recovering from LONG ARM syndrome. LOL.
Kind of give a relief to Richard and make for real trash talking. I promise I won't upstage him.

Along these lines...

So how cool could it be to have the next "fast and the furious" installment be set in about 1972?

Same characters (maybe playing their parents?)

sjd -- threadjacker!

'71 GTX, Tawny Gold, Ember Gold interior.

Pics: 1971 GTX
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: imfixinmopars426] #506048
11/05/09 03:20 PM
11/05/09 03:20 PM
michigan woods
imfixinmopars426 Offline
master
imfixinmopars426  Offline
master

michigan woods
1982,i was cruising in the 69 gts to the left,383,big cam 850,headers,and 4.56's...i keep seeing a black 340 dart pacing me from behind,through town. i thought to myself,i have him covered big time,so why not? finally we line up on the last light leaving town...now mind you,my dad has the biggest insurance agency in town,and is the bailbondsman,and he told me"dont EVER call me to get bailed out"...so usually i was careful,but...well you know,no punk in a 340,can get away with,that look,that smirk.so we rev'd,and i like to leave strong,so we do,and through my first,we are side by side,i powershift into 2nd at 6500,and pull on him HARD.as my eyes drift away from the tach,i look to the left,then hard to the left!....i failed to see the white,and black chevy suburban sitting at he light we just passed....opps,local sheriff dept! i let the dart pass me,and slide behind him,and like right now,the cops are pushing me to the curb,HARD! they cut me off,and blocked me,like they just busted the mob or something,and the passenger gets out,screaming at me,long story,short,RECKLESS DRIVING! so i tell dad,and all he says is fight it,it wont cost any more,so i did,and see the dart kid there to testify against me.after a hour,the clerk comes to tell me,the cop didnt show,and charges are dropped,and all dad did is smile...thanks dad! miss him bad,lost him in 1988
somehow i cant get the attach pic to come up,after i resize

Last edited by imfixinmopars426; 11/05/09 03:32 PM.
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506049
11/05/09 03:38 PM
11/05/09 03:38 PM
murfreesboro, TN
Q
Qbird Offline
mopar
Qbird  Offline
mopar
Q

murfreesboro, TN
Quote:

Bro, I've thought about doin something pink for a while now...but my personal fleet is too dear to me, and dedicated race car cash goes into my Fuel Car a couple of dimes at a time...but I do think a few of us old school NY Street Rats could make that whole deal real interesting.
It sucks to hear that all the old haunts are built out and populated up. The scene we used to have was amazing...I think we took it for granted back in the day. There was always somebody to race somewhere. There were times I remember running the Fount early with one car, heading over to South Ave for the late shift with another car, and then going out to the Hole to check out their deal just before the sun came up, all in one night. I'd eat dinner, wash up, stash a few smokes in the lining of my jacket in case I got busted, and then GO RACING! 7 nights a week.
Remember those whack jobs down in Red Hook? That was one pla

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Qbird] #506050
11/05/09 03:52 PM
11/05/09 03:52 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Game!
or Game over when you line up against this Dark side of the force. LOL. Street car remember.
I've got a strip and it will only be revealed when we meet at the telephone booth on the corner. Ooohhhps, there isn't anymore telephone booths left, well........
How about we do it at Atco one day when it is packed, and we buzz up the crowd to bet on the cars. $ 1.00 a person or what ever they want to put in. Winner takes all and donates all 100% proceeds to the charity of their choice. Prefer it be for a Children's charity.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Qbird] #506051
11/05/09 04:03 PM
11/05/09 04:03 PM
Paducah, KY
bigsexy440 Offline
bigsexy440  Offline

Paducah, KY
So I am a young guy (funny to say that since I am 30) but Street Racing has been pretty much out of vogue in my driving days.

I love reading this stuff, because it makes me think about the nights when I was a kid standing around the shop with my dad and his buddies and they would be telling stories like this.

I just want to make a note about "idiot" kids today racing in town and "why the HECK dont they just go out in the country like we did???" from older guys like my dad, and most of you guys.

And without making excuses for them, because alot really are idiots, but the whole "going out in the country" part is pracically nonexistant anymore.

Back in the 60s and 70s you guys could go find a perfectly straight road in the middle of nowhere less than 5 miles out of town! Now adays, it takes dang near 30 minutes to just get out of a normal sized town, and then just TRY and find an empty road!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506052
11/05/09 04:07 PM
11/05/09 04:07 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

I was there one night on 150th where I saw and heard a ...............cop take a pay stub to allow them let it all hang out. He simply said, Get it off in three minutes because I have to report to the home base after that, and you'll all be in deep ....
You should have seen how quick both teams got the cars off the trailers, burned out, lined up, hung all four front tires in the air and squared off at the motel at the end. Nascar pit teams could never hang with them.

........Cop was watching the whole run from his reserved front row seat up above at the first overpass just before the finish line. CRAZY.
I have many .........

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506053
11/05/09 09:03 PM
11/05/09 09:03 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Funny you should mention 150th--I knew a Housing Authority cop, I won't mention his name 'cause he works for a well-known engine builder now, that lived near there & had a certain yellow Gremlin he streetraced alot. The neat thing was his "shop"(home) was right nearby. He was the first guy I knew that raced an automatic (Vitar to be specific)and did quite well for himself on & off the track. Last I heard he had an original S/S AMX he occassionally races at E-town.
But to get back to some stories--- one night at Connecting Hwy the cops tried to disperse everyone by opening the hydrants along the access road & let the water run down the Hwy, figuring no one would run on a wet road. My friend goes over & tries to shut off one of the hydrants & gets jumped by 2 NYPD Highway Patrolmen who arrest him for "Disrupting Govermental Justice" . His parents have to bail him out over by the precinct near Queens Blvd. I never figured out the "justice" of risking kids racing on a road soaked by "government officials" yet trying to prevent a potenntially serious wreck was "disruptive"

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506054
11/05/09 09:06 PM
11/05/09 09:06 PM
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

my bad... the guy on staten island with the fuelie vette and the 64 lemans was a fellow named johnny amanaro ... spelling mite be off on the last name... he was there in the late 60's/very early 70's...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: massdaytona] #506055
11/05/09 09:55 PM
11/05/09 09:55 PM
Sebring, Florida
M
Mopar Grandpa Offline OP
top fuel
Mopar Grandpa  Offline OP
top fuel
M

Sebring, Florida
I just remembered a guy named Joe, knew him but never really hung with him because he was a little older than us juniors and seniors in high school. Joe was a die hard Mopar guy and I think it was in 1967 he ordered a 4 door Coronet, Hemi, automatic, steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps. Guess how many people he fooled on the streets? Absolutely everyone and took a lot of wins from some pretty fast cars. The car looked like my grandma's car, other than the drive train.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Mopar Grandpa] #506056
11/05/09 10:12 PM
11/05/09 10:12 PM
Yes
S
sixpakdodge Offline
master
sixpakdodge  Offline
master
S

Yes
Quote:

I just remembered a guy named Joe, knew him but never really hung with him because he was a little older than us juniors and seniors in high school. Joe was a die hard Mopar guy and I think it was in 1967 he ordered a 4 door Coronet, Hemi, automatic, steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps. Guess how many people he fooled on the streets? Absolutely everyone and took a lot of wins from some pretty fast cars. The car looked like my grandma's car, other than the drive train.

Hmm. What color? Are you sure it wasn't a '66?

Page 5 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 37 38