Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

ZIPPY
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 03:48 PM

Hey thanks for setting it up onebadsuperbird, and the name tags were cool!
It was good to see everybody, y'all remind me of summertime and I needed that

===================================

71T/A
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 03:52 PM

Hey was Zippy there?
I agree, real nice to get everyone together onebadsuperbird!

Cool putting faces to some of the names/handles!

=========================================

ZIPPY
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 03:56 PM

Heck yeah I was there, guess we didn't cross paths though Jim.
The fact I showed up 20 minutes late didn't help

Rich

========================================

QUICKB
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 03:56 PM
Name tags were a great idea. Good turn out.

efisixpack
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 04:00 PM

I had a blast too. It was great meeting so many of you. The only problem I had was that most everyone I met thought my father (who was there with my sig pic) was EFI SixPack and I was just his son until I pointed it out. We found it pretty amusing though. John - Thanks again for putting this together and great talking to you (and others)

drbill
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 04:02 PM

It was a great time on a snowy afternoon.
Thanks again John
We will have to do this again in warm weather so we can have are cars there so we won't need name tags.

Blowfish
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 04:05 PM

Did anybody get pics of the clan that showed up...?

Geezer
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 04:10 PM

Hey Zippy did ya drive the C-Body?Several months ago you said you were getting a new daytime gig,I missed the announcement,what is it?

onebadsuperbird
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 04:20 PM

Hey, I'm glad everyone had a good time! It was cool as all heck to see and meet everyone. We definitely will have to do something again when the weather gets nicer! Thanks to everyone for coming out and making this a cool event!
EFI, that's a good one! I seen your dad first and thought about it for a sec and cuz I knew ya was bringing your dad that that had to be him and not you! Hope your dad had a good time too!

==========================================

ZIPPY
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 04:22 PM

Geezer, the other potential daytime gig fell through, so I am still teaching guitar like I was before....hence the snail slow progress on the 451...
Yep, I drove the Polara, and have been driving it everywhere.

peelerboy
Moparts Member

Pix?... you guys want PIX??? Okay... here you go!

First one is with my brother inlaw Rich, standing there with Rich "ZIPPY"!(on the right)

Cool PW tow rig, or what?

Swamp Rat!!

onebadsuperbird (lower left) contemplating the 30cylinder tank engine for his Daytona project...

More pix coming in a moment...

It was really great to meet some of you guys! I had a blast!

Dale

And here's some more...

Check out the ancient 17" rims on the Hemi Daytona!

Hey, it's "FG7HEMIR/T"'s FG7 Hemi R/T!

And it was great meeting you today, 71 T/A! Your son was polite just like YOU!

By the way, ZIPPY... when we left to go grab something to eat, my buddy FG7HEMIR/T just HAD to roll by your car to check it out! Very cool daily car you've got there, man. It looks to be in super nice shape!

Dale

Blusmbl
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 05:04 PM

Crap, now I gotta go visit that exhibit...I've always lusted after Hot Rod Magazine's 57 Plymouth salt racer...
Nick
"in town 3 hours too late"

===========================================

ZIPPY
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 05:17 PM

Thanks Dale. She goes down the road pretty nice
Note to self: to avoid looking like a dork, do not wear name tag on collar

My favorites were the NASCAR early 70's Charger (complete with sloppy wiring, dirt/grime/grease/ corrosion, just like my GTX), and the
65 Coronet/65 Beledere I A990 cars sitting next to each other...those two cars were so bad, they made 'em sit together in the corner

Alex
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 05:26 PM

Wow, looks like you guys ad a blast, I wish I could come over and have a look at the exhibition. Well done John!!!!!!!!!!!!
On a side note, it's nice to see the "Lawman" Charger again, it was over here for years owned by a guy called Ian before Al Eckstrand bought it back and had it restored back over there, did anyone catch the vin on it?? it is a genuine Hemi Charger pilot car!!

TX9AAR
posted 12-28-2002 05:29 PM

HI,It was great to see all of you guys .And John did a great job with the tags and organizing.(How did you get Frank out of the garage!)My wife enjoyed chatting with Dave and Dale. My favorite moment was when my son saw the plain unibody K car platform upstairs ,and said that it was just like daddies car. After that I went to the silverdome gun show wich was very weak ,but I hooked up with Mopar guy Mike Ricketts .He mentioned having a Mopar BBQ this summer! He currently has 2 wo23 cars and a slew of drag cars also at his big place on Gratiot. This might be Moparts summer get together?

=======================================

6t5mopar
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 06:18 PM

Hey John!
Thanks for setting that little gig up. We all owe ya one, or two.

murfman
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 06:59 PM

YES without a doubt a good time was had by all! Agreed a special thanks to John as I think this little trip will stave off the Winter crazys for at least another week! Course this is Michigan and who knows another week and we might even have a day we can get the old cars out of hibernatin! I'm hearing 40+ in the next couple days---HEATWAVE! See ya at the swap meet! Thanks again! Wife and kids loved the name tag!

jamer1jamer1
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 07:24 PM

thanks superbad for a good time. it was a good show. i met some nice people, wish i could of talked to all of you.
we wont mention who knocked over the big sign by the new dodge ram!

PYSCHO Ward
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 09:18 PM

nice pic's glad everyone had a good time.
IP: Logged

Bryan Plotkowski
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 09:47 PM

Hey! I was on the other side of the fence when that sign went down!!
BTW, Me and the boys had a really good time and putting faces to I.Ds sure helps. Thanks again John.

Sunroofcuda
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 09:59 PM

My girls & I had a blast - thanks for orchestrating it John! Good to see Paul Petcou, Peelerboy, Randy, 71T/A Jim, David H. & his stunning original '71 R/T-Superbee F-8 car, Unlawfl, & the guy from White Lake with the '74 Cuda 360 - enjoyed talking with & meeting you! Looking forward to a spring fling where we can drive our cars out - that's a GREAT idea!
We need to take a few minutes at the next event & everybody introduce themselves. This was a blast.

peelerboy
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 11:06 PM

Good to see you too, Eric! It's been quite a while. Your girls are getting BIG! They're so darn cute, too. Obviously get their looks from mom! Hee hee! Oh, and by the way... Dave's `71 Hemi R/T is FG7! Or is it GF7? Whatever! It's not F8! It certainly is a gorgeous car regardless, isn't it? Hopefully see you out at Unlawfl's BBQ come the middle of July `03!
Dale

mr belvedere
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 11:20 PM

I wish I could have been there. I had Christmas w/ the inlaws this weekend. Oh well, still had fun. Anyone know how long the hemi exibit will be in the museum?

duster john
Moparts Member
posted 12-28-2002 11:27 PM

nice job john!

onebadsuperbird
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 02:45 AM

Man, thanks for all the kind words y'all! Trust me, I had a lot of fun putting this together and meeting everyone.
Dale, them were some great pics!

I think the museum folks were pretty happy with the number of people we brung in there today.

Anyways, a BIG thanks to everyone who came out and can't wait to do something again. Warm weather ain't THAT far off is it?

John

michigandon
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 03:15 AM

Looks like a great time! I would have loved to have attended, unfortunately the powers that be dictated that I had to work this weekend. Must get up to that place. It's been on my to-do list for at least three or four years now!
Don

Unlawfl
Moparts
posted 12-29-2002 10:25 AM

It was a great time for sure!! John did a knockout job on the name tags. Also, much thanks to John for pointing out that the petty blue Superbird 1/18 scale models got their decals eliminated due to the Warner Brothers thing.. I bought the Vitamin-C one instead.. Mopargord got the last 426 Hemi model!! Those things are great. All and all, a great afternoon.... Great to meet a few new members, 71T/A, you did the incognito thing AGAIN!!!!!

onebadsuperbird
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 11:54 AM

Yep, it sure was a blast!
Gary, Not only did the Warner Brothers deal affect the Superbirds, it affected ALL Road Runners. We won't be seeing anything out of Ertl with the name "Road Runner" on it. Ahhhhh...the wonderful world of corporate greed!

Oh, and ol MoparGord didn't end up with the last die-cast Hemi! When I made a sad face when the gift shop attendant informed me the Hemis were all gone, he told me to hold on and went and got one that was being saved for the museum volunteers. I told the attendant I couldn't take one that was being saved for a volunteer but he insisted that they would be getting more and to go ahead and take it! Was that cool or what?

By the way, I forgot to give out the U.S. and Canadian long distance awards! So if y'all can post the distances you traveled, we can figure out who gets em!

Thanks again to everyone that came out and I'm really glad everyone had a good time!

John
OneBadSuperbird

peelerboy
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 01:10 PM
Hey Dodge1! I saw that guy in the picture! He didn't have his pet piston with him, but I heard him muttering about forgetting his digital camera for the event! It was great catching up with ya'!
No sweat on the pix, John. I've got a few more, but they're not nearly as interesting. I should post that one I took of the `68 GTX's data tag since I got yelled at for taking it! (infringing on the boundaries of the display) It didn't come out really clear, but clear enough to decipher.

And a special thanks should also go out to Dave H. (FG7HEMIR/T) for the super cool goodie bags! He offered me one, but I declined because I wanted to make sure there was enough for everyone else (being the considerate guy that I am! ) and now I'm sorry I didn't take one! They had some cool little trinkets in there! D'oh! I'll be seeing him again soon enough and I'll make sure he gets me one.

Anybody ever hear what happened to STEFF??

Dale

STEFF
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 01:17 PM

Hey Dale,
I was wallowing in all things HEMI, working on my own Hemi.

onebadsuperbird
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 01:29 PM

Hey Dale, how nervous do you think the museum dude was when you were taking that data tag pic???
John
OneBadSuperbird

71T/A
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 01:30 PM

Dale, whats Dave H.'s name?
I'd like to hook up with him seeing he's on my side of town and seems to have some GREAT Mopar knowledge. He knew all the Mopar guys in my hood. Even mentioned one of the original Ramchargers guys lives right over here by me. I'll have to make a couple "passes" by the guys house next spring to draw him out to play

Oh and good to FINALLY meet you. I looked but didn't see a Schwin in the lot when I pulled up. Thought you wouldn't be there.

You can email me (or email Dave and have him email me) if his name "H." is a secret. So am I understanding it right that the green 71 Hemi Charge was HIS? And he also has the "Wayne State" Runner? Those Grosse Pointers!!!

peelerboy
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 05:11 PM

Hey 71 T/A! You've got mail! Here I go and write Jim this nice note telling him how I wasn't sure if Dave wanted me to "expose" him with his last name and GTSport69 plum went ahead and did it anyway! It's cool, though, because like GTS said, it's not as though his face hasn't been around enough for anyone to put 2 and 2 together! I really wanted to bring my Challenger out to the museum, but not only have I not been able to install it's new driveshaft, but the weather turned rather nasty anyway!
Hey John, that museum guy was TOTALLY TRIPPIN' out when I stepped across that little, 8" tall barrier thing to snap the data tag pic. He came swoopin' out of the shadows like a hawk setting in for a kill! He was quite polite despite being a bit OVERLY enthusiastic/protective. Although, if I had MY car in there, that's exactly the kinda' guy I'd want watching over MY stuff, too.

STEFF! You were working on your Hemi?? GOOD MAN! At least ONE of us was accomplishing something other than glorified bench racing!

Dale

Unlawfl
Moparts
posted 12-29-2002 05:20 PM

Well, since the cat is out of the bag!! Yeah, thanks Dave Hakim for the cool goody bags. I talked with Dave quite a bit about his sweet '71 Hemi Charger R/T. We discovered that we are cousins!! (Dave will read this and know what I'm talking about )
John, the guy behind the counter gave Mopargord the same story although he was saving it for a friend. Glad you got one! BTW, EXCELLENT videos!! Did you like how I gave you thumbs up and said "5 star video" in the parade lap at the Nationals??

onebadsuperbird
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 05:29 PM

Dale, sounds cool, I reckon the museum guy was doing his job quite well. Hope his heart didn't skip a beat or two though!
Gary, glad y'all liked the videos! And yep, I liked the thumbs up! That was cool! If folks only knew just how much fun I have making these videos. Yeah, it's a lot of work and sometimes in some very loud and dirty working conditions (burnout box!) but it is too cool to be hanging out at all the shows and seeing all the finest Mopars up close and personal! I ain't never gonna get rich doing this but it sure is fun! Sounds like the museum gift shop guy had his speech down pretty good with all them "last" die-cast Hemis!

John

Re: Moparts get together @ Chrysler museum #5
02/10/03 08:58 AM
02/10/03 08:58 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Page Two

mopargord
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 06:40 PM

I've got a lot of thankyou's to say! First to John for a splendid effort in organizing this much needed get-together to ward off the winter blahs and for such a great job on the name tags Thanks a bunch John!! Next, too Mr. & Mrs. Unlawfl, thanks for being such generous hosts AGAIN! Joan and I enjoy seeing you guys and the "pups" so much.
It was great to meet a few more moparts members and to catch up with a few familiar faces.
We had a great time all weekend and hope to see more of you guys and gals at future moparts get togethers.
Thanks again John!

===============================

onebadsuperbird
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 06:52 PM

Gord, you're very welcome! Glad y'all had a good time and a safe trip home! Hope to see y'all again soon!
John
OneBadSuperbird

===========================

Dart Girl
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 06:57 PM

I really wanted to be there and I think I might have been in "spirit" if anything.
Hey Jon, I'm glad no tornadoes or other natural disasters occured. Maybe it's best I did stay away...I have a vision of the museum floating away into a wicked twister and me just stading there with my hands in my pockets going "damn!"

I'm glad you guys had a good time. I hope to be at the next one of these get togethers wheater you guys like it or not....

==============================

onebadsuperbird
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 07:05 PM

DG, oh trust me, you were there in spirit alright! When I came up out of the basement of the museum, which is where the Hemi display is, the first thing I thought of was you when i looked out the window and seen that it was snowing! It may not have been a tornado but somehow you managed to affect the weather again!
And, yes, I can quite easily picture you standing there saying "damn" as the entire rest of the museum swirled away!

Actually though, we did miss not having ya there. It was a lot of fun and you definitely would have spiced up the afternoon some!

John
OneBadSuperbird

71T/A
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 07:43 PM

Was cool talking with Dave "H." since he was from the hood, I didn't know and not overly concerned that his is a shooter at MP. Just a friendly guy with an unusual amount of Mopar info that "caught my full attention".
Like I emailed Dale, a couple years ago I was pushing my daughter on a swing and talked to another guy for a 1/2 hour while he was pushing HIS daughter. Nice guy. Kinda quiet. We talked about kids and the neighborhood. As I was leaving the park I bumped into another neighbor who said "Jim! That was Steve Yzerman (SP?)". Yeah so. Seemed like a nice guy and since I am REALLY not into sports he probably appreciated the chat without all the usual baggage. Too bad he moved to Bloomfield Hills. Nice guy.

Hope to bump into Dave H. again. He said he and some other Mopar guys grab a coffee at a local coffee shop sometimes. He was also mentioning an origianl Ramchargers guy that lived in Grosse Pointe Park. THAT might have been the guy I spoke to on the phone and emailed a couple times before I bought my Challenger. He had a 70 Hemi Cuda for sale for $62K. I just called to ask if he was the guy on Lincoln Rd in Grosse Pointe that has a B7 AAR in the garge and local rumor (actually a casual friend who own a realestate company over here) has it, this Chrysler exec/eng had stored a dozen Mopars in neighbors garages. It wasn't him but he DID invite me over to see the car's he said he presently had. Said he had gone thru DOZENS of very high profile Mopar muscle cars over the years. MUST be the Ramchargers guy. I remember searching his name on Google and saw he went to Liggett (a private school on this side of town) with Art Van's boys. Only info I could find on this anonymous "Mopar" person. You would think if he was a Ramchargers guy it would turn up on the net. I JUST DON'T remember the name now. Maybe Dave H. can help me with it.

=================================

1967gtx440
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 08:04 PM

Carol and I just want to say "THANKS" for the great time and the great name tags I put ours in the GTX all ready for future use. Wish we could have stayed longer and meet more people but we had to be back home by five o'clock. I am planing on going to some cruise's this summer in Mich.hope to see and meet more great Mopar and Mopart people.
"HAPPY NEW YEARS" and all the best.
Murray & Carol Lewis

peelerboy
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 10:23 PM

Hey Dean... no sweat whatsoever. It's just after talking to Dave that I got the impression he was going to let everyone else know who he worked for at his own speed. Like I had told Jim (71 T/A), Dave just didn't want anyone copping an attitude towards him since he worked for MP/Chrysler. (good, bad or indifferent) NOOO problem. Really.
Dale

Todd DesMarais
Moparts Member
posted 12-29-2002 10:45 PM

Hey everyone, I had a great time. Thanks to John for setting it up! I had an encounter with one of the museum folks. I was looking real close at the 66 belvII( for obvious reasons) and the heavyset woman literaly came sprinting over to me saying to get back. I was on my side of the barrier, but was pointing close to the side moulding. She calmed down when she realized I wasn't touching, then said "I bet you are restoring one of these". Did my enthusiasm show that much??
As for David H. I knew who he is, but never take advantage of peoples positions. The volunteers were talking about him owning the green charger, but had no idea of who he is. I had to let them in on the secret. Sorry
Any idea when the W.P.C. swap is??
T.

p.s. for those who didn't meet me, I was the one wearing the leather outback hat.

================================

TX9AAR
posted 12-30-2002 01:01 AM

I remember thinking Dave Hakim was so cool cause he had a GLHS Omni when he was at Mancini. My best friend had his car (1970 440-6 challenger) in the Mancini exhibit at the Autorama in 1988? I met Dave there and he gave me tips for my lowly GLH turbo.I was only 16 but I still remember drooling over that car in the parking lot.I also remember sneaking a few too many beers from their cooler!Fast forward 14 years and I am parking next to his R.R. at Woodward in the Chrysler display,and drooling over his hemi at the museum .Still the same down to earth guy.This time he didnt have any beer to sneak!

onebadsuperbird
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 01:39 AM

Hey, it's way cool that everyone had a good time! We definitely gotta do something again in the spring!

John
OneBadSuperbird

peelerboy
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 11:27 AM

Yeah! It was nice meeting you Todd!
WPC swap meet is almost always Superbowl Sunday. At least it has been for the last decade or so. Am I right, John?

That was a funny story about Dave Hakim, Randy. Dave is definitely a down to earth guy.

Dale

montyq
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 01:10 PM

I missed all the fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The WPC swap meet is the last Sunday of Jan., at the college ,same place as last year,have the info somewhere,someplace will post when I find,maybe a mini-meet there??????

Paul
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 01:45 PM

Looks like you guys had a great time, unfortunately I had family obligations which prevented me from attending Saturday... although, I did get to visit Henry Frod Musuem over the w/e. They have a great automotive exhibit there as well... future Moparts round up?
John, definately yes, another planned get together in the spring would be fantastic.

onebadsuperbird
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 03:43 PM

Dale, yep the last Sunday in January it is!
Paul, bummer that ya couldn't make it but I'll think real hard later on and see what i can come up with for some sort of cool event for the spring. Anyone have any suggestions? I think I know where we could get some nametags made up...

John
OneBadSuperbird

fjr340gts
Moparts Reader
Reged: 01/19/03
Loc: Detroit, Michigan

Here's the motley crew at breakfast! MoparTony was the only brave soul to have the "breakfast" chili!! About 20 guys showed up for chow. Not a lot of deals at the Swap! Only a couple of members were walking around with parts purchases in their hands! I still can't believe the few guys that were selling parts off card tables OUTSIDE in the 10* weather!!!!!

fjr340gts
Moparts Reader
Loc: Detroit, Michigan

BTW: The elusive Ken Hull was doing business INDOORS this time! I have pictures to prove it!!

MPerry
Moparts Reader
Reged: 01/20/03
Loc: Leominster,Massachusetts 05-29-2000 Status: Moparts Member Total Posts: 3597

I see a few familar faces! ~Mike~

DynoDave
Moparts Member
Loc: Oxford, MI

I had a good time. It was nice meeting everyone for breakfast.

I found a few items. Picked up some publications. Also bought some vinyl dye. Picked up a few business cards for future reference. Got to meet Rob Wolf from MCG. And I saw Ken Hull too!

It was sort of strange standing around outside looking at parts.

Saw a few more parts that I could have used, but WAY too spendy for me. But I can say that, before I died, I got to lay my hands on the Holy Grail of Slant 6 items, a complete Hyper Pak intake and exhaust setup.

DUSTER_340
Moparts Stock
Loc: Armada MICH.

It was great to see some of you guys again, and really nice to meet some more of the other members.In addition to the great deal on some wheels I got, I did pick up a side marker light for my 68 barracuda.

GTSport340
Moparts Reader
Loc: formerly known as GTSport69

I think everyone in our crew had a good time.

I didn't see much to get excited about in the swapmeet, but might have if I was moving more on my Mopar projects.

The only deals I did were out in the parking lot with fellow Moparts members!! Fancy that, Moparts must be the best place for parts contacts. Thanks guys.

63CandyMatic
Moparts Reader
Loc: Grand Haven, Michigan

That's funny about Ken Hull. Over the years, I have bought more stuff from him while he had his van or trailer parked outside. He's definately a piece of work. Generally, I thought the swap was a little worse than last year, and the year before that, and the year before that...

MoparPhil
Moparts Reader
Loc: Southwestern Ontario Canada

Slim pickings in my price range. Best deals were within the first few minutes of entry and out in the parking lot. The hardcore stuff might as well be bought new for what the asking price was for used. Not the best year for me personally, but maybe I already have most of the required mopar parts to go relatively fast on a budget. I always wish there was more time to socialize.

Unlawfl
Moparts Member
Loc: Mi

I scored a TM-7 intake manifold in nice shape for $125. Also, I picked up a steering column coupler rebuild kit w/the good clamp for $25 from Flite727's brother, and member here "ekim". Renewed my subsciption to MCG and got the cool black Hemi T-shirt and a couple of axle seals that I dont need..

OneBadSuperbird
Moparts Member
Loc: Just NW of the Motor City -- Detroit, MI

Had the usual great time doing the meet 'n' greet with everyone and not really picking up much in the way of anything other than a couple model kits.

Besides the elusive Ken Hull, did anyone notice the notorious Gary Rollins on the prowl walking thru the swap? First time I'd seen him in a lot of years...

DUSTER_340
Moparts Stock
Loc: Armada MICH.

Wow Gary Rollins was there too , and I didn't have my autograph book, Darn!

OneBadSuperbird
Moparts Member
Loc: Just NW of the Motor City -- Detroit, MI

I know!!! Just think of all the unique autograph opportunities that could have been had yesterday!