VA
69 Road Runner Offline
master
69 Road Runner  Offline
master

VA
Quote:

Quote:

Here's an idea. When people preregister months in advance why don't you MAIL them their entry packet. It would be NICE to have a windshield pass so that you can drive right on into the event. I had to park a truck/trailer, walk over and stand in 3 different lines to finally get my packet, go back to get my car, affix the pass to it so I could then drive in. The system you have now where people drive in and short term park while they stand in line for a preregistration packet is just plain stupid. EVERY other decent show I go to would send your packet to you ahead of time so you can just get waived on in as you get there. Alleviates a lot of traffic problems. Come on and spend 45 cents of our entry fee.

I agree with you 100% and we ARE working on this. As a participant I never understood the process and also hated waiting in line. Now that I work here I understand it and I KNOW it can be better.

Just to let everyone know, it's not the cost of mailing the stickers. We don't do it that way because the cars actually get classified when they arrive and your class info is on that sticker. We are trying to move to a self-classification process because as most of you probably know, nobody actually looks at your car when you arrive at Gate 3. YOU tell US what car you brought and more often than not, YOU can find your class on the classification sheet faster than the person under the tent. Intentional misclassifications get corrected through one of two main methods. One, our staff sees your car is in the wrong class on the Showfield or two, you get ratted out by others in the class who know you don't belong there.

I'd like to just be able to say, "Here are the classes, pick yours when you pre-register." The problem is, I have to keep the classes fluid because they are always changing. Anyone rememeber when we used to have 12 PT Cruiser classes? That was because there were so many PTs that we needed that many classes. Now they have dwindled to the point where I have only have 2. Probably 98% of the classes remain constant but there are those classes that always change. Lately it's been the LX classes and the truck classes - basically anything that's in current production.

Wow, sorry for the long response but I wanted you guys to know that it's not the cost of the stamp and I am working on it.

Ed

Yes, please streamline this process. There's no reason to stand in 3 lines to register.

69 Road Runner Vert
Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: cudaboy340] #497142
10/15/09 10:20 PM
10/15/09 10:20 PM
PA
M
moparboy66 Offline
enthusiast
moparboy66  Offline
enthusiast
M

PA
Ed, I've made the four and a half hour drive each the last three years, and have some comments.

1. Do whatever it takes to keep Mel Major and his Survivors tent coming back. I really enjoying seeing the survivor cars, and talking with their owners. They're only original once.

2. Explain to the food vendors that ya DONT put tomato sauce on a philly steak and cheese, and PLEASE put a plastic glove on when you hand me the bun, with the same hand that just made change for that sweaty 10 spot peeled out the pocket of the guy ahead of me lugging the '62 Sport Fury bucket seat frames out.

3. I thought the porta johns were fine- no complaints at all with number or location or cleanliness (I was there Friday).

4. Keep the pop machines filled so I dont have stand in the food lines just to get a drink. Charge more per bottle- I'm ok with that.

I can only spend one day there, and I struggle every year to hit the complete parts swap AND the showfield. I've still not covered it all in the same day, so maybe an extra total half hour over the course of the day really means something!

5. Oh yeah.. the showfield.. the parts swap.. the car corral.. all great in my opinion. No complaints.

I'll certainly be back there again in 2010. Keep up the great work! It is appreciated.

Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: moparboy66] #497143
10/16/09 03:44 PM
10/16/09 03:44 PM
Yocumtucky,PA
moparbo Offline
enthusiast
moparbo  Offline
enthusiast

Yocumtucky,PA
I believe the give away car should be more interesting. I would personally be more interested in winning a desireable car that is a nice primered shell than winning a running C-body (no offense to anyone, this is just my personal opinion). It would be neet to see a Roadrunner or Charger up their that the winner can build his/her way and the car is solid to start with. This is supposedly the biggest Carlisle event, but it has the weakest give aways in my opinion. I also wouldn't mind seeing them do away with the guy who sells pirated movies under the grandstand. His illegal copies cost more than the real DVDs and don't even have the bonus material. That is one stand the FBI could have a field day with!!! Otherwise its the best Mopar gathering around!!!!

There's no "I" in team..........but there's "ME"
Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: moparbo] #497144
10/16/09 04:15 PM
10/16/09 04:15 PM
Carlisle, PA
C
cudaboy340 Offline OP
super stock
cudaboy340  Offline OP
super stock
C

Carlisle, PA
Regarding the giveaway cars, I'll just do a general post rather than quote or reply to any one in particular.

For anyone who doesn't know, my budget for the giveaway car is $5,000. We all know that doesn't buy much of a Mopar these days. In fact, each show's budget for a giveaway car is $5,000 and it's not too hard to find a decent 5.0 Fox body Stang or late model V-8 Camaro for that price so yes, those shows end up with a better giveaway.

I've been toying with the idea of a project car, roller, a "real" muscle car in rough condition, etc for a while but most people seem to want to win a car that they can simply take possession of the keys and enjoy. I've even talked to some trade schools about restoring a car for us but longtime employees here who have been involved in projects like that in the past have strongly cautioned me against it - ALL have said they were a nightmare!!

I've looked at V-8 Dakotas and really nice older FWD Turbo cars but then the die-hard muscle car guys cry foul. Obviously I'll never please everyone with the giveaway but I try to find the most common ground.

I'm not making excuses and I don't want anyone to think that I am trying to dismiss the posts about the giveaway cars. In fact, this is the one area where I receive the most complaints and I know it needs to be addressed. I don't think I'll ever get my budget increased so I have to look for a creative alternative. I thought I had found one when I came up with the idea of having a trade school do the resto but the voices of experience here are telling me not to do it.

Please keep the suggestions and comments coming - even on the giveaway cars! Oh, and thank you to everyone for not turning this into a Carlisle VS The Nats thread. We don't need any of that

Ed

Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: cudaboy340] #497145
10/16/09 06:05 PM
10/16/09 06:05 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Hi Ed,....while the mere fact that Carlisle gives away a car prize is awesome, and I know you can't please everyone with the choice or quality of the vehicle chosen,......why not just do away with the "program", and take the money allocated, and offer it in a "voucher" form to the winner towards purchaseing the parts or maybe service one may need in the restoration of ones own vehicle, demographics show most mopar owners are multi car owner/collectors unlike other margue hobbists,....I would think the last thing a "mopar guy/gal" needs is another project! ....I'd rather have a "cash voucher" to spend at Year One, or Megaparts, Hughes Engine, Keisler, etc, etc, ....basically anyone of my choosing, perhaps from a list of Carlisle sponsors, or approved automotive parts/service suppliers in the industry?......the possibility of further participation from some "approved" vendors in this might bring in more $$$ or merchandise for the giveaway, as it spotlights the vendors/manufacturers, .......the enthusiasts are at Carlisle to see cars, and procure parts, new repro or used to finish their projects,....I would think someone would rather go home knowing that they won a cash voucher for a shopping spree to one or several companies that could help complete, or further their project's completion down the road, ...just my

Mike

Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: DAYCLONA] #497146
10/16/09 06:24 PM
10/16/09 06:24 PM
East Setauket, Long Island
S
superbeeadam Offline
master
superbeeadam  Offline
master
S

East Setauket, Long Island
Instead of giveaway car make it "Carlisle Cash" good at any vendor on the showfield huge win all around

Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: superbeeadam] #497147
10/16/09 06:51 PM
10/16/09 06:51 PM
Near Reading PA USA
pinkduster Offline
master
pinkduster  Offline
master

Near Reading PA USA
I really don't have any complaints about the show. However, like others, I think the give away cars have really been weak the past couple of years. I mean, all the money that place rakes in throughout the year and they only budget 5k for the give away cars. What a joke. Sounds like a bunch of tight wads to me. I'm sure they spent more on the green A12 Bee and the black Superbird years ago when they were taking in less money because they had less shows and the shows that they had were smaller.

Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: cudaboy340] #497148
10/17/09 09:16 PM
10/17/09 09:16 PM
Beeton Ontario. Canada
B
BigSugar Offline
BigSugar  Offline
B

Beeton Ontario. Canada
Hi Ed:

I really have no complaints You guys put on a great show , Not just for Mopars but your other shows are just as good, By comparison we have a large Mopar show in Southern Ontario (Canada).called Moparfest, it's been running usualy the 3rd week of August for 30 years now, They pull Mopars in by the thousands over the two day event, No local track, No Burnout competion,No Bikini contest. They do have a "cruise in" at a Chrysler dealership about 1/2 hour away.
Odd thing is they normanly have two Givaway cars
that weekend, one is for car show participants and one is available to all visitors. They also have a Engine prize as well but that is a sponsership prize from Chrysler.
The Give away cars are significant prizes usually valued +/- $45000. The show is equal to your show but on a smaller scale. you would be hard pressed to find a unhappy participant.
The Show falls on the same weekend as Michigans Woodward Dream Cruise and still pulls in a full house.
I'm just mentioning this because I feel it's important to see all sides of other events as well.
May be worth the 8 hour drive, C'mon up next year and check it out.

http://www.moparfest.com/

Ron

Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: BigSugar] #497149
10/17/09 09:22 PM
10/17/09 09:22 PM
Gloucester,VA STOP MOVING HERE
RangerDan440 Offline
I Live Here
RangerDan440  Offline
I Live Here

Gloucester,VA STOP MOVING HERE
Carlisle is about as close to perfect as a major car event can get-fair prices for admission and show and vendor spots, clean restrooms, good food, relatively central location (for the east coast anyway) the staff is 'generally' courteous and friendly. I cant think of much Id want to change. More bikini contests maybe?

I could care less about the give away car btw, it has no bearing on the show.

Will Chrysler or Mopar performance be there in 2010?

68 Valiant 408
69 Charger 318
69 Cougar 351W
70 Torino GT 351C
71 Country Squire 351W
71 Road Runner 440+6
71 Satellite sedan 318
73 Duster 318
73 Challenger 383
77 Grand Prix 455
83 Malibu 9C1 383
84 Delta 88 403
87 Grand National
96 Ram 360
09 Crown Vic
10 Challenger R/T M6
15 Challenger Hellcat M6
Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: RangerDan440] #497150
10/17/09 09:36 PM
10/17/09 09:36 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Quote:

More septic tank jumping contests maybe?

Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: 69 Road Runner] #497151
10/17/09 10:38 PM
10/17/09 10:38 PM
central new york
pettyblue440 Offline
master
pettyblue440  Offline
master

central new york
As already mentioned the only thing I would like to see different is the registration process. Rolled in at 8:00 thurs and the tent wasn't open. Had to come back out @ 10 and wait in line for 45+ minutes to get my car inside.

Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: pettyblue440] #497152
10/18/09 10:16 AM
10/18/09 10:16 AM
northeast pa
3wracing Offline
mopar
3wracing  Offline
mopar

northeast pa
IT WOULD BE NEAT TO SEE A COLLECTION OF ALTERED WHEELBASE CARS @ CARLISLE OR SOME OF THE STRANGER OLDER DRAG CARS. hoW ABOUT THE COPS FROM ADAM 12 IN A MOPAR BLACKAND WHITE!!! How about a food stand staying open a little later.How about a contest where someone brings a car in thats less than perfect , maybe needs a few things and he or she is given cash to fix the car up while its on display somewhere on the fairgrounds ? For the first time this year i got thier on thursday morning and it was great to enjoy the show an extra day. Being 50 years old one of my favorite things to do is sit outside gate 3 and watch these cars drive in in the morning , thier is simply nothing like it
GENE
PS KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: 3wracing] #497153
10/18/09 11:49 AM
10/18/09 11:49 AM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
the registration has to be fixed.

this year was the worst yet.

get in one line to say "i'm here"

get in the next line to get your paperwork

then yet another line to get your goody bag and window decals.

there has to be a more efficient way to do it.

i also think the Manufacturer midway should be put up on the hill. leave the flat spots for the cars that "make" the show.

also would love to see come kind of cruise in town or somewhere close.

i'll popst more as they come to me. glad to see your out looking to make a great show better. and your doing it way in advance so you can implement any good ideas in 2010's show. now if only the idiots at e-town could figure this out.

Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: cogen80] #497154
10/18/09 12:16 PM
10/18/09 12:16 PM
lancaster pa
N
nitrohemi Offline
nitrohemi  Offline
N

lancaster pa
it seems like years before their were more rare hemi cars or anhy car for that fact. it looks like the collecters buy them up at barrett jackson and stuck them away and now we will never see them again. I like the year the two purple charges were there. only two made. one restored and one not. just seems like their are only a few 1 0f few cars their. don;t know what happend to them all.

also maybe have a class for original owners. if the car still has the original owner but them together. just a neat thing these days. also all the hemi cars in on class. restored to factory original. that way all the fender tag decoders have on place to stop.

great show its nice to see more street rods there every year also. maybe their can be a pace car reunion sometime as a feature. or even another super stock hemi reunion

31 dodge 3 window coupe 67 hemi gtx 2000 prowler 1949 dodge shop truck
Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: nitrohemi] #497155
10/18/09 02:05 PM
10/18/09 02:05 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
I think the fact your posting on a message board for ideas to move it in a positive direction is a major plus in my mind.

I'm a vender so I don't get to see much of the show as a whole.
My own personal issue is ,in order to keep the vehicle I drive in close by is to put in in one of my spaces.( at $85 per space) As opposed to the Nats supplies a free vender parking space just outside the vender gate. But seeing as how Carlisle is layed out I don't have an answer to remedy this.

Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: nitrohemi] #497156
10/18/09 02:21 PM
10/18/09 02:21 PM
SE Pa.
L
LimeliteAero Offline
master
LimeliteAero  Offline
master
L

SE Pa.
Quote:

also all the hemi cars in on class. restored to factory original. that way all the fender tag decoders have on place to stop.

up until a few years ago the HEMI cars did get their own class. I guess there arent enough of them to support a seperate class now.

Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: cudaboy340] #497157
10/18/09 05:23 PM
10/18/09 05:23 PM
central CT
cudazappa Offline
super stock
cudazappa  Offline
super stock

central CT
how's about putting the autocross course you have for the Corvette event out for the mopar event... This way guys can take their pro-touring cars out, and even guys like me with a bucket of bolts, sticky tires, and a helmet can play...

1971 Challenger
Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: cudazappa] #497158
10/18/09 05:51 PM
10/18/09 05:51 PM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
here is one idea. i say screw the hemi and 6bbl cars ands lets feature the restored slant six and 318 cars. after all since everyone builds a hemi or 6bbl colne any more it would be a nice change of pace. and hell its probably harder to restore a slant or 318 car these days.:)

Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: cogen80] #497159
10/18/09 10:41 PM
10/18/09 10:41 PM
restos just aren't my thing
gtsuperbee Offline
top fuel
gtsuperbee  Offline
top fuel

restos just aren't my thing
I enjoy your show a great deal. The worst thing about it is the drive there. It would be nice to be able to pic up your trophy on saturday. And by the way, if you are looking for a sweet barn find (complete with pics while covered in crap in the garage) PM me and I'll give you my number or grab it from Dennis Kohr. I picked up a LOW mileage one owner stick dart. To bad it's a 4 door, but it is spotless and has a manual tranny. Oh yeah, and it's cheap.

Restoring a car to look "only" as good as the factory made it is like getting a boob job for your wife and having the doctor make them two different sizes to seem more natural
Re: Ideas for Carlisle 2010 and beyond [Re: cudaboy340] #497160
10/18/09 11:18 PM
10/18/09 11:18 PM
Willow Grove PA
71sat440 Offline
I Live Here
71sat440  Offline
I Live Here

Willow Grove PA
My biggest Carlisle gripe is that the places with food or smoothies either run out or close early.
Seems like half the places are out of stuff or closed before it even gets to 5pm.
Guess I'll just have to eat twice as much earlier to make up for it

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6