11/18/07 03:45 PM
Diego-Town, CA
Diego_Ted Offline
master
Diego_Ted  Offline
master

Diego-Town, CA
Quote:

Too bad those will sit on a shelf for ten years.....doh!

Ouch that's going to leave a huge mark!!!

Diego

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: Diego_Ted] #48008
11/18/07 07:46 PM
11/18/07 07:46 PM
SoCal
Brian Hafliger Offline OP
master
Brian Hafliger  Offline OP
master

SoCal
Flow #'s are in first post....

Brian Hafliger
Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: Brian Hafliger] #48009
11/18/07 09:01 PM
11/18/07 09:01 PM
Now - Port Orange,Fla. Former...
MIKES_DUSTER Offline
master
MIKES_DUSTER  Offline
master

brian,

this is probably a dumb question but did you port them by hand or CNC??

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: MIKES_DUSTER] #48010
11/18/07 09:03 PM
11/18/07 09:03 PM
SoCal
master
master

SoCal
No cnc machine...all by hand

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: Brian Hafliger] #48011
11/18/07 09:29 PM
11/18/07 09:29 PM
MIKES_DUSTER Offline
master
MIKES_DUSTER  Offline
master

Quote:

No cnc machine...all by hand

NICE job!!!!!

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: MIKES_DUSTER] #48012
11/23/07 10:13 AM
11/23/07 10:13 AM
sweden
S
sshemi Offline
top fuel
sshemi  Offline
top fuel
S

sweden
Did you measure port volumes? if so please post.
I have ported my e-brocks myself and came up with 178 cc in & 79 cc ex.
I installed sleeves in the pushrod holes so the entrance is as big it could get without offset rockers.
I completly removed the headbolt bulge(?)wich also required sleeves.
I took out a lot of the bowlarea and polished the ports.

Not really knowing what im doing have i actally increased port flow?
Is it possible to improve flownrs without touching the short turn?
I will try to post some pics in a few days.

Joel

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: Brian Hafliger] #48013
11/23/07 11:50 AM
11/23/07 11:50 AM
Tucson, Arizona
clonestocker Offline
top fuel
clonestocker  Offline
top fuel

Tucson, Arizona
And your Magic Die Grinder matt

[img] [/img]
Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: sshemi] #48014
11/23/07 02:45 PM
11/23/07 02:45 PM
SoCal
master
master

SoCal
Quote:

Did you measure port volumes? if so please post.
I have ported my e-brocks myself and came up with 178 cc in & 79 cc ex.
I installed sleeves in the pushrod holes so the entrance is as big it could get without offset rockers.
I completly removed the headbolt bulge(?)wich also required sleeves.
I took out a lot of the bowlarea and polished the ports.

Not really knowing what im doing have i actally increased port flow?
Is it possible to improve flownrs without touching the short turn?
I will try to post some pics in a few days.

Joel

With the edelbrocks, the short turn is not only THE most critical part (usually true with most heads) but if you did almost nothing to it I can assure you it is stalling at .500 lift or before.
There's no need to sleeve the pushrod holes, but you have to be crafty about slowing the air down right there.
I can get it to 305fps but I have to flow each and every intake port to do it. Measuring is not accurate enough. That's when I charge!!
But it works awesome and these heads will make power for alot less money than other heads.
There is a TON of work on these heads, about 20 hours of porting, seat work and chamber work.

I don't really pour heads anymore, it seems to me that it's really useless because the castings will only allow so much but I would say they are not small! I have to sonic test the ports in some spots when I start cutting to make sure the port will allow my shape.
I'll say this...I spot check the intake ports at 36" from .500 to .700 to see how it works and at .600 it's fairly stable but after that it gets a little turbulent!!

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: clonestocker] #48015
11/23/07 02:47 PM
11/23/07 02:47 PM
SoCal
master
master

SoCal
Quote:

And your Magic Die Grinder matt

Ha ha ha...Merlin porting eh....

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: Brian Hafliger] #48016
11/23/07 03:55 PM
11/23/07 03:55 PM
sycamore,ohio
B
BobsProFab Offline
master
BobsProFab  Offline
master
B

sycamore,ohio
nice flow #'s
what type of bench do you have.

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: Brian Hafliger] #48017
11/23/07 05:39 PM
11/23/07 05:39 PM
sweden
S
sshemi Offline
top fuel
sshemi  Offline
top fuel
S

sweden
With the edelbrocks, the short turn is not only THE most critical part (usually true with most heads) but if you did almost nothing to it I can assure you it is stalling at .500 lift or before.
There's no need to sleeve the pushrod holes, but you have to be crafty about slowing the air down right there.
I can get it to 305fps but I have to flow each and every intake port to do it. Measuring is not accurate enough. That's when I charge!!
But it works awesome and these heads will make power for alot less money than other heads.
There is a TON of work on these heads, about 20 hours of porting, seat work and chamber work.
I don't really pour heads anymore, it seems to me that it's really useless because the castings will only allow so much but I would say they are not small! I have to sonic test the ports in some spots when I start cutting to make sure the port will allow my shape.
I'll say this...I spot check the intake ports at 36" from .500 to .700 to see how it works and at .600 it's fairly stable but after that it gets a little turbulent!!

So your telling me all thework ive done on these heads are worth nothing?

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: Diego_Ted] #48018
11/23/07 05:40 PM
11/23/07 05:40 PM
CHULA VISTA , CA
J
J_GAMALA Offline
super stock
J_GAMALA  Offline
super stock
J

CHULA VISTA , CA
Quote:

Quote:

I forgot the flow numbers at work though, so I'll post them tomorrow nite.
Brian

Now that's what Gamala needs!!
Good Job Brian Nice looking ports, now lets get back to work on the Picoso motor!!

Diego

exactly my thought as well!!!

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: sshemi] #48019
11/23/07 08:33 PM
11/23/07 08:33 PM
SoCal
master
master

SoCal
Quote:

So your telling me all thework ive done on these heads are worth nothing?

No....I'm giving an overview of what I've seen after doing like 15 sets of these heads.
And on the street stuff we actually speed up the air if the lifts are low and it's a 340/360. I'll speed the air up so it's so fast it won't take much more than .550 lift but roll-on power is instant!
My porting is application specific, like any good porter's. I don't subscribe to the cnc "port the head to it's max" jobs because of this. Nothing against good cnc work, but every time I get a cnc'd head I can gain flow and sometimes alot without much work.
There's a guy out here that will digitize ports for me and create programs with really good Haas machine's for cheap as long as I supply him with monthly work, but I just don't want to give up the hands on application specific work that I like to do.
Call me old fashoned I guess...

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: BobsProFab] #48020
11/23/07 08:55 PM
11/23/07 08:55 PM
SoCal
master
master

SoCal
Quote:

nice flow #'s
what type of bench do you have.

It's a superflow 600. I have the same orfice plates that Curtis Boggs uses to verify the machine ever now and then.
I use the flow com computer and I have 4 different pitot tubes to play with.

I also forgot to add....I've changed my valve jobs in the last couple of years based on things I've learned and they have actually hurt my flow numbers a bit but I see more power from my heads. I flow all my intake ports in reverse just to see what they do from .100-.250 and it's crazy how much that changes with very little effort. My old valve jobs would allow 30-35% more flow backwards than my current work!

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: Brian Hafliger] #48021
11/23/07 10:01 PM
11/23/07 10:01 PM
detroit area
M
moderncylinder Offline
top fuel
moderncylinder  Offline
top fuel
M

detroit area
brian, do you really think that the engine see's a depression representative of 36" when the valve is at .500 lift or higher? i know alot of that stuff is guessing unless youre privilage to pressure sensor info from intake ports and combustion chambers, though that data would be respective to that particular combo. do you try for different air speeds if the same head was being used on a 408 or a 340, since the depressions that both those engines will run at with the same head are so different? do you ever try to influence the intake port when flowing backwards to compensate for inertia like when the engine is running, and how easy or not so easy it is to counteract the pressure you have in the intake port?

ive worked on super stock 318/340/360 combos with moving the pushrod pinch over,, i dont remember exact cross sections but i think we went from .950 across to 1.200 and the motor peaked the same within 100 rpm or so, but past peak made more power. if i remember a 9/1 360 thermoquad made 565 with the .950 pinch and then 570 with the moved pushrod wall both at about 6800rpm, but at 7400 was 40 hp better than with the .950 dimension. you can have too much air speed where fuel will fall out of the air stream but i think thats very uncommon,, or using the wrong parts for a particular combo like a 318 head on a 408 or something like that.

jeff

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: moderncylinder] #48022
11/24/07 02:55 AM
11/24/07 02:55 AM
SoCal
master
master

SoCal
Quote:

brian, do you really think that the engine see's a depression representative of 36" when the valve is at .500 lift or higher? i know alot of that stuff is guessing unless youre privilage to pressure sensor info from intake ports and combustion chambers, though that data would be respective to that particular combo. do you try for different air speeds if the same head was being used on a 408 or a 340, since the depressions that both those engines will run at with the same head are so different? do you ever try to influence the intake port when flowing backwards to compensate for inertia like when the engine is running, and how easy or not so easy it is to counteract the pressure you have in the intake port?

ive worked on super stock 318/340/360 combos with moving the pushrod pinch over,, i dont remember exact cross sections but i think we went from .950 across to 1.200 and the motor peaked the same within 100 rpm or so, but past peak made more power. if i remember a 9/1 360 thermoquad made 565 with the .950 pinch and then 570 with the moved pushrod wall both at about 6800rpm, but at 7400 was 40 hp better than with the .950 dimension. you can have too much air speed where fuel will fall out of the air stream but i think thats very uncommon,, or using the wrong parts for a particular combo like a 318 head on a 408 or something like that.

jeff

When I flow backwards I have played with both air speed and flowing it with the intake on. I haven't been doing it enough to have a strong data base for what I find, but I do refer to guy I trust that does great work.
I do change air speed for different applications, but I think on a fast port that might see 7000 rpm it's likeley it will see in excess of 28" of depression, however not steady that's for sure.
I do it basicly to see how the port reacts to higher air speed. I do it to everything just to see how it reacts.
Looking at your example, it would seem that if you took that engine and raised the compression and rpm point that the pushrod work would be worth alot more because of the demand on the intake tract. Infact, I bet it would double the power output that you gave.
Jeff...I'm not the best head porter out there, so not to worry! Just wondering why you would care about a little guy like me??

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: Brian Hafliger] #48023
11/24/07 10:40 AM
11/24/07 10:40 AM
On the south side of Nowhere
S
S/ST 3040 Offline
master
S/ST 3040  Offline
master
S

On the south side of Nowhere

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: S/ST 3040] #48024
11/24/07 01:00 PM
11/24/07 01:00 PM
detroit area
M
moderncylinder Offline
top fuel
moderncylinder  Offline
top fuel
M

detroit area
brain i wasnt poking at ya or anything... there are alot of things going on in an engine and its hard to test 100% accurately to see the effects of inertia, what air speeds are present and so on,, plus air speeds at the accleration rates of a fast drag car. its good to flow things up that high to see if the air is still stable,, but then with humidty, fuel in the air, it gains a cohesion to the walls and becomes more stable yet. reading some of your posts through the last few years i think youre a sharp guy and i like to talk about whats going on,, and theory of internal combustion engines and so on,, and noone usually welcomes that stuff here.

jeff

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: moderncylinder] #48025
11/24/07 02:27 PM
11/24/07 02:27 PM
Northern Indiana
Dunnuck Racing Offline
master
Dunnuck Racing  Offline
master

Northern Indiana
I like to read all the posts like that I can.Keep'em coming.By the way,Jeff,you should write a book,I'd buy it!

Re: Ported edelbrock heads.......pics [Re: moderncylinder] #48026
11/24/07 05:14 PM
11/24/07 05:14 PM
SoCal
master
master

SoCal
Quote:

brain i wasnt poking at ya or anything... there are alot of things going on in an engine and its hard to test 100% accurately to see the effects of inertia, what air speeds are present and so on,, plus air speeds at the accleration rates of a fast drag car. its good to flow things up that high to see if the air is still stable,, but then with humidty, fuel in the air, it gains a cohesion to the walls and becomes more stable yet. reading some of your posts through the last few years i think youre a sharp guy and i like to talk about whats going on,, and theory of internal combustion engines and so on,, and noone usually welcomes that stuff here.

jeff

That's what the happy face was for at the end of my post!! I know you weren't poking....or at least I'm glad you weren't

I have no problem with these kind of discussions, but you'll find that I don't have all the answers that's for sure!! I learn every day, and it's crazy to think I still have learning to do.
I appreciate it when guys like yourself want to talk about things I consider important. I've learned from really smart guys and I've learned from people that I would not have expected to learn anything from

Jeff you may find somethings you want to talk about may be over my head I'm still learning

So let me ask you a question...this was talked about over on speedtalk some, and I've heard mention of this before, but with no confirmation. Have you found that with an engine that's accelerating like a drag engine, that the depression is actually higher at low lifts than at higher lifts in the upper rpm ranges?
I've just started trying high depressions (36") at .100-.300 to see what happens. You ever try this or am I behind the times here????
I know pressure differentials change as the engine accelerates and I understand they are not linear from valve opening to valve closing but it's been said that because of the wave action inside the runner that there could be as much as 3 psi present as the intake valve opens at high rpm where the intake and exhaust lengths are in tune. What's your take on this??
Thanks Jeff, I for one look forward to you posting on this board!

Brian

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5