S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

Here's another vote for John. He was just getting his 4th car into the chase. As a fan I I see nothing wrong with that. Cruz shouldn't have let it come down to that. He blew his chance to take John out the round earlier.

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: Sport440] #462143
09/08/09 04:16 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Here's another vote for John. He was just getting his 4th car into the chase. As a fan I I see nothing wrong with that. Cruz shouldn't have let it come down to that. He blew his chance to take John out the round earlier.

If you were racing funny car in nhra,and Force did the same thing knocking you out of the chase would you still think it was ok???..or funny??...

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: Sport440] #462144
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Quote:

Quote:

Tony should have kept his mouth shut, 'cause he knows that's how the game is played.....

Force should have kept his mouth shut, 'cause now it's spilled over onto National TV.......and now it doesn't look good for either of them...

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: Monte_Smith] #462145
09/08/09 04:47 PM
09/08/09 04:47 PM
Western Michigan
68Fastback Offline
master
68Fastback  Offline
master

Western Michigan
I bet with all the hoopla on so many drag racing boards NHRA has gotta love it. Probably see some t-shirts or ads and put more people in the stands. Rather than add I will just say what BobR and Monte said is right on the money, they are in a closer position than most to know. I will say the way Tony acted was in bad taste.

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: Sixpak] #462146
09/08/09 05:09 PM
09/08/09 05:09 PM
KY
65pacecar Offline
master
65pacecar  Offline
master

KY
Quote:

[ Cause if Tony has benefited in the past, and I suspect so, he has no room to talk - he knows the inside games as well as anyone. Don't play that game in the first place, and then maybe you can say something...but glass houses and stone throwers....

Exactly, watch the 2007 Championship run for Tony, Cruz laid down for his brother at least three times late in the season, not quite as obvious as yesterday (and not at the Nats, which brought more attention), so Tony and Cruz have no room to talk. Also, last year when Cruz was closing in on Wilky, Tony had a Blower Belt break when facing Cruz in the Countdown to 1, which put Cruz on Wilkersons heels. The worst offender of the practice is probably the Schumacher teams when Tony was on his big run, several falls for the man during those years. Antron Brown laid down for Sampey on a couple of occasions in Bike and the worst ever was Hines missing a gear mid track after Kraewick (sp?) cut an amazing.284 light (no chance of redlight there) and Eddie passed him like he was sitting still (Hines basically was sitting still) and that led Eddie K. on to win the Points Championship without ever winning a single event the entire season. Unfortuantly, while it is racing, it's still a business and these guys have to pays the bills and keep the sponsers on board. I Used to be a fan of Tony P., but the last few years he has become a whiney jerk on a number of occasions and that is probably why one of the best crew chiefs in the game is at Al-Anabi now.

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: 65pacecar] #462147
09/08/09 05:24 PM
09/08/09 05:24 PM
Michigan
H
Hemiroid Offline
super stock
Hemiroid  Offline
super stock
H

Michigan
I still think most people can't see the forest for the trees. This isn't about whether Force should have done what he did in Funnycar in it's state. I would have, as that's what the current state of FC dictates. The question should be why is FC in the kind of state that would allow/encourage this in the first place?

The answer is that NHRA isn't about grass roots racing anymore at all. It's now a big money, corporate marketing business. I have to agree that in it's current form, Force made the right choice, just as Hulk Hogan made the right choice when he gave up his imaginary championship belt to the guy that Vince McMann wanted to have it

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: BobR] #462148
09/08/09 05:46 PM
09/08/09 05:46 PM
Salisbury North Carolina
8secDart Offline
pro stock
8secDart  Offline
pro stock

Salisbury North Carolina
Quote:

Quote:

Cruz pedregon is a [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] just like his brother. Tony even said it, there just the little guys. If anyone of you could put yourself in JF's shoes and not do the same thing your a downright f*&Kin lier. With the way everything is in the world today i know i would do everything in my power to make sure all my team is taken care of to be able to move forward. Tony had the chance aswell and screwed his brother outta gettin in the chase. TOO BAD

EXACTLY. I'm thinking that a lot of "racers" here aren't spending much money on their game. This is a business not a sport. Business decisions are made with other things in mind than who's to the finish line first. The bracket racers with a few thousand dollar yearly budget or the pseudo racer couch potato with the holier than thou attitude needs to walk a mile in different shoes before coming to these sanctimonious conclusions.

That's the way I see it.I hate people saying the fans got robbed.Do any of us true racers give a damn,not me.It's all bussiness get over it.If you want real racing go to a ADRl,10.5,or a radial race.That is racing at it's best.You guys are crying about John but NHRA is the one who made this mess happen,bicth at them.

Last edited by 8secDart; 09/08/09 06:02 PM.
Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: Hemiroid] #462149
09/08/09 06:01 PM
09/08/09 06:01 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

I still think most people can't see the forest for the trees. This isn't about whether Force should have done what he did in Funnycar in it's state. I would have, as that's what the current state of FC dictates. The question should be why is FC in the kind of state that would allow/encourage this in the first place?

The answer is that NHRA isn't about grass roots racing anymore at all. It's now a big money, corporate marketing business. I have to agree that in it's current form, Force made the right choice, just as Hulk Hogan made the right choice when he gave up his imaginary championship belt to the guy that Vince McMann wanted to have it

if the NHRA had not started this stupid chase crap we wouldn't even be talking about this. the car that goes the most rounds over the year should be champ not this crap they dreamed up.

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: 8secDart] #462150
09/08/09 06:12 PM
09/08/09 06:12 PM
alaska,usa
9secondsatellite Offline
mopar
9secondsatellite  Offline
mopar

alaska,usa
tony of all people should not say a word. if it weren't for force he wouldn't have gone this far on his own. i also remember being at the finals in pomona one year where john and tony were in the finals and if john won then tony would end up 3rd and if tony won he would end up 2nd. amazingly john went up in smoke. i didn't hear tony complaining then.

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: DCI] #462151
09/08/09 06:26 PM
09/08/09 06:26 PM
Tennessee
727builder Offline
super stock
727builder  Offline
super stock

Tennessee
Quote:

Quote:

Still cheating no matter how you look at it,thats one of the biggest problems with this country cheating is accepted, win at any cost no matter what,really sad thing to be teaching our kids that follow racing.. I hope Tony wins the championship and sticks the "wally" right up Forces behind...

Yes but Tony won enough rounds early on to not be in either Cruz or Roberts situation. Short of Force being 00 and setting low ET of the round he would have been accused of throwing it. I would just tell my kid it is a business nothing more and nothing less. Think Trump got to where he is doing everything fair to the other guy? What about Microsoft, the big O or even you in your life! Did you give up that promotion so the guy behind you could get ahead or be equal to you????

How many people here think that every sponsor deal out there now has an extra $$$ bonus for making the chase???? All of them??? So why in the world would you throw that money away??? You know you would have done the same thing if you owned the team and were sitting behind the wheel...and until you foot the bill you have no right to judge his(or any other owner/drivers)situation.

Best post so far on the topic.

Too bad the sport has come to this. I believe in life if you do something wrong? One day it will come back on you. Makes me wonder why Force racing had so much bad luck over the past few years??? If i can't win honest? I sure wouldn't want it handed to me like that.

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: 9secondsatellite] #462152
09/08/09 06:49 PM
09/08/09 06:49 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
John Force gets my respect,if he really took a dive,who better than for his team and his kid.John has nothing to prove,he has done it all throughout his career and gave many other racers an a boost in their careers along the way.He came from humble beginnings and worked hard to earn his place.As far as I'am concerned he ranks with the best in the sport.I applaud him for not beating Tony P's butt on national TV.My money and respect would have me giving all the odds in John Forces favor.I used to have respect for Tony but he choose to make an issue for the media.A real man would have approached John privately,Tony was talking bad and no one was holding him so as far as I'am concerned,"Tony is all mouth" and his attempt to make John look bad only showed what a dork he is.John Force backed his family and his team that's a real American sportsman,real man and a person than everyone should be proud to respect and know.To John Force,his family and team,

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... #462153
09/08/09 07:10 PM
09/08/09 07:10 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
If you were racing funny car in nhra,and Force did the same thing knocking you out of the chase would you still think it was ok???..or funny??...

Tony KNEW what was going to happen... so why cry about it,
he's been on the other end of the stick before

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: B G Racing] #462154
09/08/09 07:18 PM
09/08/09 07:18 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
2009 U.S. Nationals Funny Car Semi and Final VIDEO {{{{{{{{{{click here}}}}}}}}}}

Contrary to popular belief a sponsor doesn’t care (as much as people think) about individual racer’s results or team championships, they care about SELLING THEIR PRODUCT! Take the best of the best at anything and if they have a bad image or they create one and it has a negative affect on the sponsor’s product sales guess what...see ya later All involved should sit down and think what they were just a part of, they should have ALL just walked away and some should have done a better job of doing the obvious

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #462155
09/08/09 07:20 PM
09/08/09 07:20 PM
Columbus, Ohio
wheelsup68dart Offline
master
wheelsup68dart  Offline
master

Columbus, Ohio
Not much respect for JFR right now. He should just man up and admit things instead of lying about it on TV. Everyone knows he laid down for Robert. Personally I woulda loved to see Robert go red proceeded by John Force crossing the centerline . Next thing they will add to the cars is a steering input sensor so they can see the driver turning the steering wheel 45* to the right .9 seconds down track.

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... #462156
09/08/09 07:22 PM
09/08/09 07:22 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What you don't seem to understand is that the multi-car teams have this advantage. Everybody that races professionally understands this. Just because it's new to you doesn't make it wrong. It is what it is and gaining any advantage is what they ALL try to do.

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: wheelsup68dart] #462157
09/08/09 08:32 PM
09/08/09 08:32 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Not much respect for JFR right now. He should just man up and admit things instead of lying about it on TV. Everyone knows he laid down for Robert.

Ya, sure.. Go on and admit you broke the rules.. Then, the car you broke the rules for gets kicked out of the countdown, and most likely lose a multi million dollar a year sponsorship..

Sounds pretty stupid to me. If Force did that, I think someone would seriously have him seek professional mental help.

As far as you guys that think you need to earn every round.. The next time you get a bye run, drive over the centerline and get disqualified so you can earn it next time..

I grew up in So. Cal. and have been around Force outside of the race track.. As BG said he has earned it.. Was a truck driver back in the day... Down to earth and.. He really is a nice guy, and loves his girls..No matter how spoiled they are.

Chris..

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #462158
09/08/09 08:59 PM
09/08/09 08:59 PM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

You guys really dont think this is new...do you?
Manifest destiny ...happens all the time.
i can tell you 2nd hand about a race that took place at Atco in 70...i believe..
the week before Indy..
Mopar showed up with a superbird that had a lead wing,tripple thick back window.and a transmission set up to neutral drop....
they wanted to test it out for the next weeks battle at Indy..
this superbird was a "wringer" just so they could put out a car in the field and give mopar the advantage..
i have to look up the facts..as its been along time ago...but i think it was Jenkins they where trying to beat..
\they did their best to manipulate the et during time trials....to line up against him early..
take him out...then go red next round and trailer the car..so no one was the wiser..
as a caviat he was gonna go red in the superbird but ended up with a .00 light so he drove it almost onto the grass ....to guarantee the loss.
made for a pretty damn good story to tell the youngands...and IMHO...so was this saga..
a new story to tell my grandchildren.
some of you old timers know just who i am talking about 5-50
cheapst....

beat them to the finish line..and that will be all the talkin you need to do..FWIW !!!!

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #462159
09/08/09 09:21 PM
09/08/09 09:21 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
The SuperBird was owned and driven by Jack Werst, of Mr. 5&50 fame. It had a 484 inch Hemi, and a lead filled wing. It was built specifically to take out Ray Allen's Briggs Chevrolet SS/DA 454 Chevelle ragtop, another bogus combo. They were worried about the Chevelle getting into the eliminator, as it had been pretty successful. The idea was to take Allen early in class eliminations, and then purposely bulb to keep from going through tech as the class winner. Would of worked, too, but Allen got upset in the first round, so Jack just bulbed and it was over. The motor was then returned to Detroit, and the car never ran again, although it still exists.

As far as the neutral starts, they had been outlawed in 1967 after Dick Oldfield messed up the starting line at Bristol. Dave Wren found that "process" in testing, and before you know it, we all were doing it. Chrysler even showed up at Indy in 67 with a whole truckload of torqueflites specifically built for that, but we could not use them. There were big signs in the burnout box, "NO NEUTRAL STARTS".

I don't see how this relates to what happened on Monday, though.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: Steve1118] #462160
09/08/09 09:29 PM
09/08/09 09:29 PM
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

yup.....
my Dad's got a picture of Steve Kanuika in the lanes (dont know what track?) but a sign leaning on the tower wall says "no neutral starts"
as far as relating...its manipulation of the outcome of a race..
my point was...we brag about it today when we look back...
its a great story or memory..
we will be doing the same thing 30yrs from now about this very ordeal that took place at indy..
chepast

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #462161
09/08/09 09:37 PM
09/08/09 09:37 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
Well, I guess that I think that "bending the rules" to beat someone is one thing....but deliberately throwing a race is different.

That's just the way I see it.

By the way, Jack's SuperBird is still in existence. He's tried to buy it back, but the guy wants a fortune for it.

Steve Kanuika had a number of speed shops in the Philly-NJ area. Your dad's pic could have been taken at Maple Grove, Atco, Englishtown, or any number of the drag strips in that area. Some of them are no longer around.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11