Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hemi Cross Ram intake Explosions?? !!!Max Maniac!!! [Re: moparphillie] #448542
08/31/09 02:49 PM
08/31/09 02:49 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
That deal with Kyle was a scary, scary, evening. There was a heck of a fire going.....and a garage full of race cars and collector MoPars. It could have been real bad. We had an extinguisher, and there were some guys around. But, if something like that had happened inside an enclosed trailer....it makes my blood run cold.

I think on that deal part of the problem is that the MSD box had gone bad, and caused it to cough up through. Whatever the cause, it was a bad deal. He has the intake working well, now, though, and the car idles and drives as well as your new 300. But, he does have the Wilson sneeze valves on it, now.

Bob could probably answer this better than I, but I think the Indy intake and the old Rat Roaster had the most problems with this. I've heard of it happening with the regular cross ram, but not very often. I think the fact that the new MP crossram has core plugs on each end would be helpful. I think the older ones, especially the Diamond Elkins deals could do it if you weren't careful.

I use the new MP crossram with no issues, but I don't street drive it. It doesn't idle around much, or spend a lot of time where it could load up and cause an incident.

Bob, I'd love to see you put a cross ram on that 65, a set of headlights, and get out there with us. I understand why you are hesitant, but you belong out there with us Geezers. That car has NSS written all over it.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: Hemi Cross Ram intake Explosions?? !!!Max Maniac!!! [Re: Steve1118] #448543
08/31/09 03:13 PM
08/31/09 03:13 PM
KYbywayof WV
F
Frito Offline
top fuel
Frito  Offline
top fuel
F

KYbywayof WV
Poppa J, Chime in here. Was yours a crossram or the Indy style??

I remember the first one I saw was on Teuton's car several years ago. They had it fabricated by Mark Oswald.

Re: Hemi Cross Ram intake Explosions?? !!!Max Maniac!!! [Re: moparphillie] #448544
08/31/09 03:38 PM
08/31/09 03:38 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

This post is directed to Bob George... Is this potential problem isolated more to the Rat Roaster style of Cross Ram Intake ? The reason for this question is that I just installed a new M/P Cross Ram Intake ( M/P part number p5007534 ) with the two top access panels on my 472 Crate Engine. It will be a street car only. This talk of intake explosions has me concerned enough to look into the Wilson Manifold Pressure Relief Valves. Would it be necessary for this later style of intake ? If I do install two ( 2 ) of these pressure relief valves, where would be the best location on the intake to mount these valves ?
Thank you in advance for your response...

It is not necessarry on the factory X-rams,hemi or wedge that have the expansion/core plugs and the manifolds are more rigid. Large open plenum box style manifolds like Indy and Rat roasters with areas that can puddle fuel are more prone to blow apart.Indy uses the small bolts for just such reason and large open manifolds with no center connecting rib top to bottom with out any attachment bolts are also prone to pop.Letting the top lift causes the attaching bolts and thread bores to break,but the fire after the explosion is what worrys me.Also letting the top "lift" can do a lot of other damage especially if it pulls a fuel line off and the pump feeds the fire.In Kyle's incident the hood was open and the manifold top as well as carbs launched and ended up on the rad support.Only quick thinking and appropate action prevented it from being a disaster.And Russ's in trailer pop could have been the same.That anyones comments that it will or never happen to them doesn' need insurance since they will never have an accident.But to answer the question about the stock factory style including the new MP X-ram,no you don't need the "Snezzer"valve.

Re: Hemi Cross Ram intake Explosions?? !!!Max Maniac!!! [Re: B G Racing] #448545
08/31/09 07:46 PM
08/31/09 07:46 PM
Michigan
B
BigFish69 Offline
mopar
BigFish69  Offline
mopar
B

Michigan
So do we need two of these valves ?? or is one sufficient on the top lid between the carbs on the indy inline.

Re: Hemi Cross Ram intake Explosions?? !!!Max Maniac!!! [Re: Frito] #448546
08/31/09 08:25 PM
08/31/09 08:25 PM
DFW
M
mr_340 Offline
master
mr_340  Offline
master
M

DFW
Quote:

I remember the first one I saw was on Teuton's car several years ago. They had it fabricated by Mark Oswald.

This one?

5453398-TeutonIntake.JPG (205 downloads)

Floyd Lippencott IV
Re: Hemi Cross Ram intake Explosions?? !!!Max Maniac!!! [Re: mr_340] #448547
08/31/09 09:12 PM
08/31/09 09:12 PM
KYbywayof WV
F
Frito Offline
top fuel
Frito  Offline
top fuel
F

KYbywayof WV
Quote:

Quote:

This one?

YEP!!!

Re: Hemi Cross Ram intake Explosions?? !!!Max Maniac!!! [Re: Frito] #448548
09/01/09 12:05 AM
09/01/09 12:05 AM
pa
K
Kyle Reasbeck Offline
enthusiast
Kyle Reasbeck  Offline
enthusiast
K

pa
Yes the night i almost burned the garage down while blowing up my intake sucked. Though there were other contributing factors, i feel it was also partially self inflicted as we had it loaded with fuel. I'm not sure if the (2) valves i have on my intake would expel enough pressure or not i figured it sure as heck can't hurt. Like bob said, the problem isnt the initial explosion (although it sucks to damage stuff) its the fire afterwards. You can't shut the fuel off fast enough. In my case the intake landed upside down on the core support after it ripped the fuel line off and dented the factory steel hood (as it was up) I do like the idea of the plastic bolts as well. I think the INDY is the most prone. We had a rat roaster on my dad's car before and i started it ever since i was 8 yrs old. It'd hiccup through the carbs but never pop. I really think its all due to those way too short bolts INDY give to attach it. 1/4" and on average only 2-3 threads are engaged..not even 1D. The top can come off pretty easily. I put studs in mine now and it did hiccup once , never popped the valves just came up through the carbs, like you'd expect it to. I realize there are exceptions that will split the intake if full of gas and powerful enough, but i feel these are far and few between. The valves MAY not be necessary, but to spend 140 to save $2000 (1200 dollar intake and 800 in carbs, not to mention time) is a no brainer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2