St. Catharines, ON
N
NewMemberAgain Offline OP
super street
NewMemberAgain  Offline OP
super street
N

St. Catharines, ON
I really was unsure how to make the title of this subject jump out and have people look at it.

What I have a 451 (.55 over 440 ) with 10:1 compression Eddy dual quad with two Carter 625', Shumacher headers and 2.5" exhaust out to a TA style muffler.

With the old exhuast system ( CPPA )and full exhaust the fumes were tolerable, but now with the short headers and exhaust right outside my door...

the fumes are HORRIBLE.

I am seeing alot of black smoke through the exhaust, so it would tell me it is running rich before now even more so.

So my big question is how do I take away fuel from these two carbs?

I have a slight stumble when it is cold and a big puff of black smoke off idle, and then when it warms up, the stumble goes away but you can still tell it is running rich.

I do not know much ( read nothing ) about the Carters, but sure would like to lean these out.

Off idle they scream!

Any directions? Is there a link to specs of these carbs?

I was thinking about maybe making it smaller cfm maybe by taking away fuel with the meter rods or shooters maybe.

Thanks!

Bryan

Re: How to make a DUEL Carter 625's deliver less fuel??? [Re: NewMemberAgain] #429164
08/05/09 01:25 PM
08/05/09 01:25 PM
closer to Canadian beer!
torkrules Offline
I'm neurotic
torkrules  Offline
I'm neurotic

closer to Canadian beer!
Quote:

I really was unsure how to make the title of this subject jump out and have people look at it.

What I have a 451 (.55 over 440 ) with 10:1 compression Eddy dual quad with two Carter 625', Shumacher headers and 2.5" exhaust out to a TA style muffler.

With the old exhuast system ( CPPA )and full exhaust the fumes were tolerable, but now with the short headers and exhaust right outside my door...

the fumes are HORRIBLE.

I am seeing alot of black smoke through the exhaust, so it would tell me it is running rich before now even more so.

So my big question is how do I take away fuel from these two carbs?

I have a slight stumble when it is cold and a big puff of black smoke off idle, and then when it warms up, the stumble goes away but you can still tell it is running rich.

I do not know much ( read nothing ) about the Carters, but sure would like to lean these out.

Off idle they scream!

Any directions? Is there a link to specs of these carbs?

I was thinking about maybe making it smaller cfm maybe by taking away fuel with the meter rods or shooters maybe.

Thanks!

Bryan

I have to dig way back into the memory vault. These carbs use a combination of jet/step rods/and springs. The jet/rod combination is what really changes the A/F ratio. The rod/springs act like an enrichment circuit when the engine is under load (like a holley power vavle). Lighter springs make the rods open quicker. Narrower rods will allow more fuel. In your case you probably want to try leaner jets and/or step rods. Incidentally you can pull the rods/springs without taking the air horn off (they are under little covers in the air horn)

The idle screws do just that-idle mixture. I'm not sure if the edelbrock tuning kit will work with the old carters. Maybe someone else could help with that question.

Re: How to make a DUEL Carter 625's deliver less fuel??? [Re: NewMemberAgain] #429165
08/05/09 02:29 PM
08/05/09 02:29 PM
Not2farfromNashville, TN
R
Rug_Trucker Offline
I Live Here
Rug_Trucker  Offline
I Live Here
R

Not2farfromNashville, TN

"The only thing to do for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"NUNQUAM NON PARATUS!"
Re: How to make a DUEL Carter 625's deliver less fuel??? [Re: NewMemberAgain] #429166
08/05/09 03:46 PM
08/05/09 03:46 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
The title was different sounding & needed to be checked out. Take the tops off & check your float levels & note the # on the jets in the floor and on the metering rods(which are removed before the top comes off) and the color of the springs which which may be worn off so have to eyeball how close the coils are to each other to ID them which is difficult, to get a baseline where you are at now & yes an Eddie strip kit will work on the old (2 step rod) afb's and possibly(no actual experience) on OE(3 step metering rod) avs's if you use the flat AFB metering rod covers. But I'm thinking more a high float level/choke issue rather than metering EDIT how much vacuum at idle as it might be into the PV system(ID those springs). MORE EDIT you might take out all 4 metering rod springs & put the metering rod assy's back in w the caps & see how it idles. I have not done this but it MIGHT ans the Q which is, is the PV system on at idle.(you'll know in 5 minutes)& dont even have to take the carb apart.

Last edited by RapidRobert; 08/05/09 09:31 PM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: How to make a DUEL Carter 625's deliver less fuel??? [Re: NewMemberAgain] #429167
08/05/09 09:32 PM
08/05/09 09:32 PM
S.E. Conn
Hoof Hearted Offline
top fuel
Hoof Hearted  Offline
top fuel

S.E. Conn
I have been playing with these Eddy / Carter carbs for a few years now, but I cheat. I use an O2 sensor and air/fuel gauge in the car.

I have a 496ci, 553" lift/284 dur. cam, 800cfm eddy, TM7, 3:23's and she has Awesome throttle response and great street manners, But: She'll begin to run richer at idle after a few minutes at a light or idling in the heat.

I've been told I get a big poof out of my 3" tail pipes when I gun it on the highway, but I attribute that to drilling out the accellerator pump sqirters to avoid lean spots when stomping it to the floor.

I'm no expert, but all I know is, she never runs lean and the vertical LED gauge in the car reads in the 2 orange bars slightly above center. when hot and idling to long, it'll creep up into one red bar richer, never two.

By the way, you didn't mention your cam specs, specificly the duration which might have a little to do with your richness.

by the way, you misspelled Dual. However, Duel is one of my favorite movies and one of the best cases to go with More Cubic Inches.

2005 300C Hemi
2014 Ram ProMaster 2500

I Rekey, Repin old Chrysler locks and cut keys by code
Re: How to make a DUEL Carter 625's deliver less fuel??? [Re: NewMemberAgain] #429168
08/05/09 10:17 PM
08/05/09 10:17 PM
Aurora, Oh.
M
max_maniac Offline
master
max_maniac  Offline
master
M

Aurora, Oh.

Thanks!

Bryan

You are on the right track. Change the metering rods and also there is a pump shot arm on the carb with 3 settings to pump fuel at the hit of the throttle, you can adjust that for the hit at the throttle to either lessen it or give it more.

Russ

Re: How to make a DUEL Carter 625's deliver less fuel??? [Re: Hoof Hearted] #429169
08/05/09 10:23 PM
08/05/09 10:23 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Duel is one of my favorite movies and one of the best cases to go with More Cubic Inches.

71 valiant 4dr right? and when they showed the iirc oil light on the dash flashing it was a correct 71 dash.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Dual Carbs Updated and spelled correctly and cam specs. [Re: max_maniac] #429170
08/06/09 08:52 PM
08/06/09 08:52 PM
St. Catharines, ON
N
NewMemberAgain Offline OP
super street
NewMemberAgain  Offline OP
super street
N

St. Catharines, ON
I will check into that. I found the phone # to the fellow that orginally rebuilt them about 4 years ago, so maybe I can have him take a look at them.

I noticed that the back one is leaking at one of the linkages ( ds when looking at the front of the motor, or ps when driving the car).

FYI;

The cam is an old Hughes Solid lift grind 538/545 272 duration 108 rings a bell. Crane 1.6 rockers.

It goes bumpty bumpty. Little or no vacuum last time I checked with the old M1 and 850 on it.

I don't suppose it is any better now.

Bryan