09/26/10 05:55 PM
09/26/10 05:55 PM
Poteau, OK
O
OkieOFT Offline
OkieOFT  Offline
O

Poteau, OK
Coaxed a little bit more shine out of her today with some Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish and a coat of Liquid Glass.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III *DELETED* [Re: batjac] #39435
09/26/10 11:31 PM
09/26/10 11:31 PM
Iowa
66Hemiwagon Offline
66Hemiwagon  Offline

Iowa
Post deleted by 69DartGT

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 66Hemiwagon] #39436
09/27/10 07:56 PM
09/27/10 07:56 PM
NY
J
joeshmo Offline
joeshmo  Offline
J

NY
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If painting a car was as easy as using a roller or a spray can I would be out of business. It kills me to think how much time and money people waste trying to save money. A simple paint job on a car with body work additional is a minimum of 5k. I run a shop that does mostly insurance work and some restoration work. There is a reason why spray cans and rollers dont work, they are CHEAP!!!!!!!!!

I don't have 5K or more for a paint job. Does that mean I should just tow my car to the junk yard? Drive it with crappy paint until it rusts out? Take it to an inexpensive "professional" paint place? (Did that. Cost me $1000 and after a year the paint's oxidized and flaking.) Just give up and take the bus to work?

You're essentially posting on a thread that's somewhere around 160-170 pages long in three parts. Before you speak, go back through ALL the previous posts and look at the paint jobs. I've also seen hundreds of posts about rolling on the Honda Tech forum, the Miata forum, a couple of VW forums, RolledOn.com, and a couple of other individual websites. I'm sure there are many more forums with $50 Paint Job threads that I've never seen. There are many people with 200 hours to do the rolled on paint job to excellent results, that don't have 5K of free money laying around. That's the reason for the rolled-on/sprayed-on Rustoleum/Brightside/"name-your-favorite paint" method of painting. It's trading time for money. Simple logic.

When I read your post, all I saw was someone who makes his living painting cars, and is either: a) pissed that he's losing business to the Do-It-Yourselfers, b)afraid of losing business to DIYers, c) worried that people will see that painting a car isn't a job that only professionals with years of experience can perform for exorbitant amounts of money, or d) just a paint snob who looks down on anyone who doesn't do it the way HE thinks it must be done.

Over the four years and eight months since this thread started (on 01/23/06), I've read dozens of people say that this method is for cheap a**es, won't last, is stupid, is for people who don't care about their cars, is for....... I've also seen MANY excellent paint jobs done this way. Before you make negative comments on this thread, and nothing you've said hasn't been said many times on all the rolled-on paint threads, go back and look at all the previous posts. They'll tell you who reads this board, why they read it, and what they're capable of accomplishing. Your previous comments are, to me, the same as a Chevy person coming on here and saying that Mopar cars are crap. I'm 47, and I've seen a lot of Mopars in that time that WERE crap. But I don't call all Mopar crap. And I don't do it on a board or a thread that is for Mopar lovers.

You make your living painting cars. Good for you. In this economy I'm happy for anyone who is gainfully employed. But I have no patience or respect for someone crapping on other people's efforts.

'nuff said.

Did you miss what he said? He spent 1k for a professional paint job with, I'm assuming, 2K paints. With adequate waxing and care, rustoleum can last 5 years, at LEAST 2 years. Auto paint, even a 5k paintjob, exposed to sun and rain and snow every day is likely to be fairly deteriorated after 10. Especially in the salt states. Now let's do the math.

Your paint job costs 5k. Looks great for 10 years and then will need another job(likely less than 10 years in my state).

My paint job costs $60. Looks great for 2 years at least. If I choose to repaint my car (which was made in 1992, guess the resale value on that) every 2 years:
Labor: 40 hours TOPS for a rustoleum paint job with my cheapo HVLP gun and rotary sander/buffer. Even at 20 dollars an hour (which is way more than I make), my labor cost would be 800 dollars.
If my paint job lasts roughly 1/5 the length of a professional paint job:
5x860=$4300. That's 700 dollars for gas, parts, and ect. The benefit becomes even MORE apparent when my transmission dies in 4 years. Rather than sticking a new transmission in a dieing car just because I spent 5K on the paint job, I can sell the car for parts and buy another car. Another benefit: I can repaint dents, dings, scratches and rust all myself for next to free.Just think about the other side of the argument before you try to tell everyone that it is a terrible idea.

Last edited by 69DartGT; 10/18/10 02:38 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III *DELETED* [Re: joeshmo] #39437
09/28/10 12:36 AM
09/28/10 12:36 AM
Iowa
66Hemiwagon Offline
66Hemiwagon  Offline

Iowa
Post deleted by 69DartGT

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 66Hemiwagon] #39438
09/28/10 09:07 PM
09/28/10 09:07 PM
middleOnowhere CA
THEYOUNGGUN53 Offline
enthusiast
THEYOUNGGUN53  Offline
enthusiast

middleOnowhere CA

sadly I don't have pictures of my finished car but after driving it around for one day I already got plenty of questions about the paint. 2 of them "professionals" asked me if it was single stage.

"you get what you pay for" may apply to the mainstreem way of painting, but here its "you get what you put into it"

I spent a year doing the paint job, but I only spent $30 in paint, and maybe $30 in supplies. I feel much better about doing the work my self and paying as little as I did.

Honestly, I'd feel ripped off if I'd gone to someone like you. Your the perfect example of a greedy shop owner who sits behind his desk counting his money and thinking about the sucker he just milked dry.

Now if you'd be so kind as to stop being an internet troll and leave us to our hobby I think we'd all be greatful.

Last edited by THEYOUNGGUN53; 09/28/10 09:14 PM.

a car is never "done"
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: THEYOUNGGUN53] #39439
09/29/10 12:38 AM
09/29/10 12:38 AM
Iowa
66Hemiwagon Offline
66Hemiwagon  Offline

Iowa
Quote:

sadly I don't have pictures of my finished car but after driving it around for one day I already got plenty of questions about the paint. 2 of them "professionals" asked me if it was single stage.

"you get what you pay for" may apply to the mainstreem way of painting, but here its "you get what you put into it"

I spent a year doing the paint job, but I only spent $30 in paint, and maybe $30 in supplies. I feel much better about doing the work my self and paying as little as I did.

Honestly, I'd feel ripped off if I'd gone to someone like you. Your the perfect example of a greedy shop owner who sits behind his desk counting his money and thinking about the sucker he just milked dry.

Now if you'd be so kind as to stop being an internet troll and leave us to our hobby I think we'd all be greatful.

Im 33 yrs old and work in my shop everyday for 10-12 hours a day including weekends to pay for my mopar habit. 65 dodge 2dr post drag car and 70 challenger street car that I bought and redid both myself. As for ripping people cant help you there but I unlike most "mopar guys" I have only owned and drove mopars. 69 rr,70rr,70 challenger, 67 belvedere and a 97,02, and currently 05 3500 dually. I am greedy though I enjoy spending as much time with my two girls as I can.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III *DELETED* [Re: THEYOUNGGUN53] #39440
09/29/10 12:47 AM
09/29/10 12:47 AM
Iowa
66Hemiwagon Offline
66Hemiwagon  Offline

Iowa
What part about this thread being about roller paint jobs did you miss? Why stir up crap just because you don't roller your car, there are plenty here who have and are happy with it and don't care to read about your $5000 paint job which I'm sure looks great, but you missed the point its about roller paint jobs.

Last edited by 69DartGT; 10/18/10 02:44 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 66Hemiwagon] #39441
09/29/10 10:15 AM
09/29/10 10:15 AM
PA
J
jimwankers Offline
jimwankers  Offline
J

PA
Here is the 69 Tempest that I painted last year around this time according to the information laid out on this thread. I can report on durability because this car saw almost a year of street driving and was never inside. We use it as a daily driver beater automobile.

6222883-P1010005.JPG (264 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: jimwankers] #39442
09/29/10 10:28 AM
09/29/10 10:28 AM
PA
J
jimwankers Offline
jimwankers  Offline
J

PA
The car was completely apart and was built from scratch using whatever spares and extras I had so its not a 'survivor' or barn/garage kept little-old-lady-car. I decided to paint it with a roller and Rustoleum because I thought it would be the perfect car to try this technique on. The paint-job was labor-intensive and there were many times I regretted doing it this way because of time constraints. However, there were also many times I painted at night or during poor weather when I could not have sprayed. The painting really was not a problem, it was the wet sanding between coats that proved to be the time killer. The paint has held up reasonably well in the last year. There are some chips and its VERY easy to scratch. There are many areas that did not have complete coverage, probably also due to me rushing the job near the end and not really applying as much paint as I should have. Where the paint gets sandblasted from road grit, it wears away quickly and surface rust forms. This car was driven in the winter in the snow, slush and salt spray and those 'thin' areas show up fast. Overall, its a good-looking car from a daily-beater point of view but there is no way I would claim 'show-finish' or 'professional results' from this technique. The advantages are clear: I did not have to breathe isocyanates in or build a booth for spraying and its dirt-cheap. The dis-advantages are also clear: time-consuming wet sanding and rolling and relatively 'soft' paint. It's pretty cool when someone comes over to admire the car and I tell them I painted it with a roller and Rustoleum!!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 66Hemiwagon] #39443
09/29/10 10:56 PM
09/29/10 10:56 PM
middleOnowhere CA
THEYOUNGGUN53 Offline
enthusiast
THEYOUNGGUN53  Offline
enthusiast

middleOnowhere CA
Quote:

Quote:

Im 33 yrs old and work in my shop everyday for 10-12 hours a day including weekends to pay for my mopar habit. 65 dodge 2dr post drag car and 70 challenger street car that I bought and redid both myself. As for ripping people cant help you there but I unlike most "mopar guys" I have only owned and drove mopars. 69 rr,70rr,70 challenger, 67 belvedere and a 97,02, and currently 05 3500 dually. I am greedy though I enjoy spending as much time with my two girls as I can.

fasinating, I'm 17 and I have no cash. I had to build a respectable car on my parents budget, which was quite small.

This topic accepts all car owners, we work together as a team to create something we can be proud of.

I really don't understand what type of point your attempting to prove but your really not getting anywhere, I highly doubt you will convince anyone otherwise about this process by trolling. Thats what Youtube is for.

a car is never "done"
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: THEYOUNGGUN53] #39444
10/05/10 07:27 PM
10/05/10 07:27 PM
Coventry UK
C
covkid Offline
covkid  Offline
C

Coventry UK
I'm new and across the water in UK. Just wanted to add that many of us are rollering VW Vanagons (known as the T25 in UK and T3 in Germany) and we recently created a 45 min DVD to explain how to do the $50 paint job from start to finish.

http://www.sickfly.virtualmidlands.co.uk/ - might be pricey to ship tho maybe not if it was several at a time.

The original article that spawned the DVD is at:

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Bodywork_and_Glass_Roller_painting

And theres a long-running thread at:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18751

Be interesting to see whether the paint is identical, What you call Mineral Spirits, we call White Spirit. Otherwise its Rustoleum Combicolor

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: OkieOFT] #39445
10/06/10 07:14 AM
10/06/10 07:14 AM
West Tennessee
R
rbstroker Offline
super stock
rbstroker  Offline
super stock
R

West Tennessee
I actually got a very acceptable $60.00 paint job on my race car by using Valspar paint, available at Tractor Supply Company. I did use a cheapo spray gun rather than a roller. Now that race season is over for me, I'd like to get some more durability and gloss by "clearing" the car. Is there any clear that is preferred to use over the enamel? What about a 2k clear. I have already water sanded with 600.

This is the land of the free because of the brave
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: rbstroker] #39446
10/07/10 12:01 AM
10/07/10 12:01 AM
NY
J
joeshmo Offline
joeshmo  Offline
J

NY
Quote:

I actually got a very acceptable $60.00 paint job on my race car by using Valspar paint, available at Tractor Supply Company. I did use a cheapo spray gun rather than a roller. Now that race season is over for me, I'd like to get some more durability and gloss by "clearing" the car. Is there any clear that is preferred to use over the enamel? What about a 2k clear. I have already water sanded with 600.

I am currently considering clearing my rusto for the winter with the cheapo 70 dollar a gallon martin senour paint line from napa. I also know that duplicolor makes their laquer line (called paint shop, available at autozone), that may add gloss and durability. Unfortunately, from what I have heard about the paint shop line, this may not last for long before it begins to deteriorate. I've also read about people using minwax spar polyurethane(like you'd use on wood floors) although I am skeptical and think it is likely to yellow.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: joeshmo] #39447
10/10/10 04:39 PM
10/10/10 04:39 PM
Sacramento, Ca
07RidgeRTL Offline
07RidgeRTL  Offline

Sacramento, Ca
Ok fellow rollers, I'm very intrigued about roller-ing my truck. It's a 1991 Jimmy, Full size, gold on black (currently). It's a west coast truck so it's rust free and the body on it is fairly straight. It's really straight for a '91. The truck will be very easy to pull apart, except for the top. It probably weighs 200lbs or better and it has never been removed. My question is this, I will be rolling it in my driveway as it's too tall to fit in the garage, would you guys recommend doing to top of the cab first since it will be the hardest? The paint will be going on in spring, as I don't want to fight rain and morning dew. I will be doing the truck in gloss black and as I learn, I may do so air brushed real flames in blue on the front. The nice thing about this paint, is if I screw up the flame job or just don't like it, I can redo the hood and fenders.

6243135-jimmy.jpg (114 downloads)
Last edited by 07RidgeRTL; 10/10/10 04:40 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 07RidgeRTL] #39448
10/10/10 10:35 PM
10/10/10 10:35 PM
NY
J
joeshmo Offline
joeshmo  Offline
J

NY
Quote:

Ok fellow rollers, I'm very intrigued about roller-ing my truck. It's a 1991 Jimmy, Full size, gold on black (currently). It's a west coast truck so it's rust free and the body on it is fairly straight. It's really straight for a '91. The truck will be very easy to pull apart, except for the top. It probably weighs 200lbs or better and it has never been removed. My question is this, I will be rolling it in my driveway as it's too tall to fit in the garage, would you guys recommend doing to top of the cab first since it will be the hardest? The paint will be going on in spring, as I don't want to fight rain and morning dew. I will be doing the truck in gloss black and as I learn, I may do so air brushed real flames in blue on the front. The nice thing about this paint, is if I screw up the flame job or just don't like it, I can redo the hood and fenders.

Gloss black is a HARD HARD HARD color to get right.Prep work really makes it. Any little ding or sanding scratch will show through on the final coat. But yes, painting the hard areas first would be a good idea. You might even get an extension arm for the roller, that might help!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: joeshmo] #39449
10/11/10 12:25 AM
10/11/10 12:25 AM
middleOnowhere CA
THEYOUNGGUN53 Offline
enthusiast
THEYOUNGGUN53  Offline
enthusiast

middleOnowhere CA
well guys its been a long time waiting but here it is!!

I was participating in a recreation of the race in the first Love Bug movie, so I had plenty of expensive paintjobs to compare my car to. No one could tell the difference!

a car is never "done"
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: THEYOUNGGUN53] #39450
10/11/10 01:33 AM
10/11/10 01:33 AM
Sacramento, Ca
07RidgeRTL Offline
07RidgeRTL  Offline

Sacramento, Ca
Yes, I know.... but I'm ahead of the game as the truck is already black and shows all it's dents and dings. The whole truck will be blocked sanded before even getting it's first coat-- It's really straight now, actually, it has a good one on the hood from a rock, a small dent on the pass quarter and about two dings on the driver door. Of course, when I block sand it, I'm sure I'll find some more. Spending the time on the truck, isn't going to bother me much as it's not a daily driver. It's a weekend warrior so if it's down for a couple of months for paint, so be it. The biggest pain on this truck will be aligning doors and fenders, they just never fit quite right on these rigs, even when they were new, GM panel alignment was a joke. It gets worse if they have been "twisted" off road any and mine has.

As for the body, the previous owner took pretty decent care with this truck. I honestly can't find that many places where doors have hit it. Could be the nurf bars on the sides, could be that when you look at the truck, it looks like a charter member of the NRA owns it... I just don't know, but I'm telling ya, for a twenty year old truck, it's pretty dang good.

BTW: TheYoungGuns bug is just awesome... That is one clean ride! All the work you put in, really shows.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 07RidgeRTL] #39451
10/11/10 02:31 AM
10/11/10 02:31 AM
middleOnowhere CA
THEYOUNGGUN53 Offline
enthusiast
THEYOUNGGUN53  Offline
enthusiast

middleOnowhere CA
oh well thank you!

its been a 5 year labor of love, this forum has led me to accomplish my dream. Not to mention under a reasonable budjet!

a car is never "done"
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: THEYOUNGGUN53] #39452
10/18/10 02:01 PM
10/18/10 02:01 PM
Sw Ohio
A
ANeat Offline
ANeat  Offline
A

Sw Ohio
I would like to thank everyone for the motivation thru all these posts.

Here is my contribution. My poor old 84 D250 beater truck. I finally decided it was worth a try.

I wont bore you all with the details, basicly done over a 2 week period in the driveway. Just finished up last week.
I mixed some blue and white Rustoleum to get the final color.

Great old truck, just a little over 100000 miles. I got it about 7 years ago and havent really done anything to it. Looks like someones old farm truck, lots of surface rust and faded paint. One big dent in the side.

And finally with the bumpers

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: ANeat] #39453
10/18/10 02:45 PM
10/18/10 02:45 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
ANeat very nice work

Page 157 of 167 1 2 155 156 157 158 159 166 167