10/04/03 10:10 AM
10/04/03 10:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok, there was never an answer to the question about tube chassis cars. Are tube chassis cars going to be allowed or just stock framed ones?

The Haze would be VERY competitive in this competition and we are definitely willing to make the 2000 mile drive, but we HAVE to know if our car is going to pass the sreet car rules. The Haze can drive wherever you send it, it can do it on pump gas, and it can run back to back passes if that is needed, but IS IT A STREET CAR according to the rules?

Re: Announcing the HOT ROD Magazine Pump-Gas Drags #4003
10/04/03 10:13 AM
10/04/03 10:13 AM
NJ
440challenger Offline
master
440challenger  Offline
master

NJ
HAZE HAZE HAZE!!!!!

Re: Announcing the HOT ROD Magazine Pump-Gas Drags #4004
10/04/03 04:52 PM
10/04/03 04:52 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
Quote:

Nice chip on my shoulder? Hmm I didnt call you a wanna bee and reply like I had something against you from the start. I took that as a chip on your shoulder.

My car runs decent numbers and fits into the category they want. If they choose me you better believe I will be there.

Hmm and I never said anything about different car makes. I have a FORD guy as my mechanic and helper. Done all the work to my car side by side. I have no preferences on what type of car I drive or own. I like things that go fast and respect what other people have done. But hey then again I am just a wanna bee

You make a post on a board dedicated to a different brand of car....what did you expect? If I posted at a vette site with a pic of my Coronet, I would expect to get flamed bigger than a funny car explosion. Heck, your screen name practically asks to be flamed.

You may have a nice car, and that is fine but if it doesn't meet these requirements http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/ETQuickRef.html might as well not even bother. Running under 10 sec? better have a parachute and a bunch of SFI rated parts on that C5. That's where the wannabe part comes in. You may not fit completely in that category, but the guys that ignore safety for the sake of going faster certainly are wannabes in my books. Sure you can strip down a stock LS1 6 speed Z28, add a big nitrous shot and run some impressive numbers, but it is gonna require alot more than that to pass tech, certified cage, axles, 'chute, master cut off, etc etc.

That being said, I hope Hot Rod runs this shootout as a legit sanctioning body would. That means, if it does not meet the letter of the rules...it doesn't get in, none of this: "well, the rest of the car passes, so you can compete." I hope it will be: Got a stock harmonic balancer on there? good bye. See you when you have an SFI approved one.

Now. I hope that clears stuff up a bit. And the crack about mopar guys....this is from personal experience....no other message board I have been a part of, and this includes many of different makes, have been as supportative and inflamatory as the crew here at moparts.com.

Thanks for stopping by.... AIGF

-James

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: Announcing the HOT ROD Magazine Pump-Gas Drags [Re: BBR] #4005
10/04/03 05:18 PM
10/04/03 05:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

You make a post on a board dedicated to a different brand of car....what did you expect? If I posted at a vette site with a pic of my Coronet, I would expect to get flamed bigger than a funny car explosion. Heck, your screen name practically asks to be flamed.

You may have a nice car, and that is fine but if it doesn't meet these requirements http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/ETQuickRef.html might as well not even bother. Running under 10 sec? better have a parachute and a bunch of SFI rated parts on that C5. That's where the wannabe part comes in. You may not fit completely in that category, but the guys that ignore safety for the sake of going faster certainly are wannabes in my books. Sure you can strip down a stock LS1 6 speed Z28, add a big nitrous shot and run some impressive numbers, but it is gonna require alot more than that to pass tech, certified cage, axles, 'chute, master cut off, etc etc.

That being said, I hope Hot Rod runs this shootout as a legit sanctioning body would. That means, if it does not meet the letter of the rules...it doesn't get in, none of this: "well, the rest of the car passes, so you can compete." I hope it will be: Got a stock harmonic balancer on there? good bye. See you when you have an SFI approved one.

Now. I hope that clears stuff up a bit. And the crack about mopar guys....this is from personal experience....no other message board I have been a part of, and this includes many of different makes, have been as supportative and inflamatory as the crew here at moparts.com.

Thanks for stopping by.... AIGF

-James

No my car doesnt run under 9.99 And the only reason I posted in here was this was where the Hot Rod Magazine thread was. I could care less about being different brand. Evedentey you are just a little threatened by my exisitance on the board. I really hope not all Mopar guys are like you. I like fast cars and once again could care less what make,model they are. Seems like you still have that chip

I *knew* I saw that car somewhere before! #4006
10/04/03 06:31 PM
10/04/03 06:31 PM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
Quote:

No my car doesnt run under 9.99 And the only reason I posted in here was this was where the Hot Rod Magazine thread was. I could care less about being different brand. Evedentey you are just a little threatened by my exisitance on the board. I really hope not all Mopar guys are like you. I like fast cars and once again could care less what make,model they are. Seems like you still have that chip

You know, your car looks really familiar. I think I know where I've seen it before. If you do show up to the drags, I'll be sure to sit way up in the stands...
My1Fast99C5 in action! (512K video mpeg)

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: I *knew* I saw that car somewhere before! [Re: calmopar] #4007
10/04/03 08:04 PM
10/04/03 08:04 PM
Upstate NY
Reddart Offline
super gas
Reddart  Offline
super gas

Upstate NY
Quote:

You know, your car looks really familiar. I think I know where I've seen it before. If you do show up to the drags, I'll be sure to sit way up in the stands...

Ouch! That guys car insurance payment must now be more than the cost of my dart!

Re: I *knew* I saw that car somewhere before! [Re: Reddart] #4008
10/04/03 08:23 PM
10/04/03 08:23 PM
Nevada
D
dezduster Offline
pro stock
dezduster  Offline
pro stock
D

Nevada
Hey tell me what happened to the corvette I cant see it dang modem crap.

Re: I *knew* I saw that car somewhere before! [Re: calmopar] #4009
10/04/03 08:55 PM
10/04/03 08:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Well I guess you old guys need glasses too. Sure isnt the same color as mine. But either way haters unite.

Re: I *knew* I saw that car somewhere before! #4010
10/04/03 09:12 PM
10/04/03 09:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you guys want to argue, do it somewhere else. It would be a shame to have to lock this thread because of it...

Re: I *knew* I saw that car somewhere before! #4011
10/04/03 09:37 PM
10/04/03 09:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If you guys want to argue, do it somewhere else. It would be a shame to have to lock this thread because of it...

Understood.

Re: I *knew* I saw that car somewhere before! #4012
10/04/03 09:51 PM
10/04/03 09:51 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

woooo GregZ flexing a little muscle.

Re: I *knew* I saw that car somewhere before! #4013
10/04/03 11:15 PM
10/04/03 11:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

hey greg, i just noticed the little M next to your name. congrats. now keep these boy's in line, LOL...

Re: I *knew* I saw that car somewhere before! #4014
10/05/03 01:08 AM
10/05/03 01:08 AM
Portland Oregon
69Dartman Offline
master
69Dartman  Offline
master

Portland Oregon
I don't like GM products myself but I'm not going to knock down people that do, besides it's a relevent thread about something any gear head would want to be involved in do lets play nice and stay on topic If you wanna stay c5 please do, always interested to hear what the other folks are up to. Now of course my tagline might ignite a few folks but a friend gave me that shirt after a minor altercation with a, well you'll see, it wasn't on purpose I can assure you..

Life's a little bit better when you hit a Camaro.
Re: I *knew* I saw that car somewhere before! [Re: 69Dartman] #4015
10/05/03 02:35 AM
10/05/03 02:35 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I don't like GM products myself but I'm not going to knock down people that do, besides it's a relevent thread about something any gear head would want to be involved in do lets play nice and stay on topic If you wanna stay c5 please do, always interested to hear what the other folks are up to. Now of course my tagline might ignite a few folks but a friend gave me that shirt after a minor altercation with a, well you'll see, it wasn't on purpose I can assure you..

Now thats what I am talking about. A racer who states his points objectively and still can be politicaly correct. And he came down to the one point. Racing and showing your hard work and money spent for a magazine and the TV. What could be better. Now theres the kinda people I am GLAD are still in this sport.

Re: I *knew* I saw that car somewhere before! [Re: dezduster] #4016
10/05/03 06:22 PM
10/05/03 06:22 PM
Upstate NY
Reddart Offline
super gas
Reddart  Offline
super gas

Upstate NY
Quote:

Hey tell me what happened to the corvette I cant see it dang modem crap.

Well, not so much what happened to the Corvette...there was a "human" pin, if the vette is the bowlingball....

Re: Announcing the HOT ROD Magazine Pump-Gas Drags [Re: Freiburger] #4017
10/05/03 07:02 PM
10/05/03 07:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dave, I hope you are still following this thread...

This sounds like it will be a great time. Considering that there are several obvious rule-driven "breaks" involved, will there be consideration for cars that can run 12.0 FLAT consistently (i.e. cars that do not have roll bars), and cars that run 10.0 FLAT consistently (i.e. cars that are not sub-ten second cars to avoid certification/NHRA licensing, or are Bracket II/Heavy/Pro bracket cars that cannot run quicker than 10.0 flat in class)?? Most likely, these cars will all be N/A (possibly some small-displacement cars with power adders, like 4-cyl turbo cars) and certainly pump-gas machines.

So, perhaps there should be three "classes" - quickest 12.0-up car, 10.0-12.0 sec car, and quickest "unlimited" car - 9.99 -and quicker. Certainly, fastest will come into play, too.

That being said, there could be 50 applicants with cars quicker than 9.99, and so once again, the true streeters with realistic budgets will be left out again (like Car Craft's so-called "Cheap Street" class -- nitrous-fed small blocks -- puLEEZ). hopefully, there will be enough variety in the applicants to allow a selection of a good cross-section of entrants in all three catagories I mentioned.

I anxiously await the Jan issue of HRM!

440shorty

Re: Announcing the HOT ROD Magazine Pump-Gas Drags #4018
10/05/03 09:12 PM
10/05/03 09:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

From the sounds of it, there is going to be a nice mix of cars based on the statements of awards given to 10, 11 and 12 second cars that best exemplify their class.

This whole thing sounds like alot of fun.

Hey David, can I throw in one suggestion for the rules? About 20 miles into the 30 mile cruise, have everyone shut their engine off for a period of 1 minute, and then re-start.

BTW, if youre giving everyone 15 gallons of gas, I'm telling you that I can do the 30 miles and 3 passes on 5 gallons, so, do you want the extra 10 gallons back? Or should I donate it to someone else who needs it? Actually, that brings up another idea... Make everyone drive the 30 miles BACK after running at the strip!! LOL Now THATS a true street car.

Re: Announcing the HOT ROD Magazine Pump-Gas Drags #4019
10/05/03 11:32 PM
10/05/03 11:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My car is not very fast, mid 14s but recently my wife and I drove it 175 miles one way (in the rain) with all the stuff I needed to race (including my slicks for the rear, tools, chairs, cooler, gas can, water bottle, spare parts and all the clothes we needed) in the trunk and back seat and spent two days racing at the Summit Series Div 5 Finals in Denver. Then changed the tires, filled up with pump gas and drove the 175 miles home over two 11,000' elevation mountain passes without a single problem!!!!

LET'S RACE!!!!! I probably don't qualify, (with the few minor mods planned for the winter, I should be running mid 13s next season) but if you'll promise me a spot, I'll slap on a new set of tires and drive my car the 1200+ or so miles from my house to Memphis.

THAT, IS STREET!!!!

Hey Un, maybe we should have a daily driver drag, huh!!!!????? LOL

Dan

Re: Announcing the HOT ROD Magazine Pump-Gas Drags #4020
10/06/03 02:27 AM
10/06/03 02:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

From the sounds of it, there is going to be a nice mix of cars based on the statements of awards given to 10, 11 and 12 second cars that best exemplify their class.

This whole thing sounds like alot of fun.

Hey David, can I throw in one suggestion for the rules? About 20 miles into the 30 mile cruise, have everyone shut their engine off for a period of 1 minute, and then re-start.

BTW, if youre giving everyone 15 gallons of gas, I'm telling you that I can do the 30 miles and 3 passes on 5 gallons, so, do you want the extra 10 gallons back? Or should I donate it to someone else who needs it? Actually, that brings up another idea... Make everyone drive the 30 miles BACK after running at the strip!! LOL Now THATS a true street car.

i can handle all that, stop for groceries, and run bottom 10's, count me in!

Re: Announcing the HOT ROD Magazine Pump-Gas Drags [Re: Freiburger] #4021
10/06/03 11:15 PM
10/06/03 11:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for all the support from the page! The haze will be there if the rules will allow. Dave, thanks for coming up with such a cool class - I can see why you have had such a rapid rise up the magazine ranks! For those of you who asked, we can run on pump gas and get pretty decent milage. The requirements will not be a problem, I just hope we are quick enough. Pump gas is a huge restriction, as it limits combustion pressures whether generated by nitrous or turbo, so this will equalize the class and make it competitive. I will look foward to seeing the full rules in Dec and trying to get ready!

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8