09/26/08 12:48 AM
09/26/08 12:48 AM
Edgerton WI
D
Donny O. Offline
Donny O.  Offline
D

Edgerton WI
yes i would think windex could definitly be causing a problem. there are things like prepsol as frank said that are made to clean the surface before you paint. I usualy just did my sanding then rinsed good and wiped down a few times with mineral spirits and never had a problem!!

Re: Hi [Re: Scott Carl] #38455
09/26/08 10:35 PM
09/26/08 10:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have read a lot of this thread but not everypage.

My question is, I have a sodablasted 69 vw bug im interested in using the brightside method on. But i beleive it will need to be primered since it is all bare metal. What is the recommended primer to use with the brightside? the interlux brand, rattle can, rustoleum primer. Just not sure if anybody has painted a care with this method that had been completely stripped.

thanx

Re: Hi #38456
09/27/08 12:21 AM
09/27/08 12:21 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I don't know what's recommended, but I used brightside over rattlecan primer and it's fine.

You can put rustoleum over bare metal too, so a similar color rustoleum to your final goal of brightside would be a good base and would reduce the number of brightside coats.

Re: Hi [Re: Exit1965] #38457
09/27/08 01:34 AM
09/27/08 01:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One last question. Are you guys mixing all your paint and storing it. Or are you mixing paint with mineral spirits at each coating. in small batches?

Also would a better color match be acheived if all 3-4 qt cans of color were mixed in a large container and then divided back into smaller ones for storage. has there been any color differences noticable from a fender doen with one can and a hood fro another?

thanx

Re: Hi #38458
09/27/08 03:46 AM
09/27/08 03:46 AM
Edgerton WI
D
Donny O. Offline
Donny O.  Offline
D

Edgerton WI
Quote:

One last question. Are you guys mixing all your paint and storing it. Or are you mixing paint with mineral spirits at each coating. in small batches?

Also would a better color match be acheived if all 3-4 qt cans of color were mixed in a large container and then divided back into smaller ones for storage. has there been any color differences noticable from a fender doen with one can and a hood fro another?

thanx

I have been doing small batches in a seperate container, but thats jsut me. as for color matching the person that started all of this(69chargeryeehaa) said he did his bug then 3 years later bought another can and did the fender on the car and it matches perfectly so I don't think there would be an issue!!

Re: Painting the Door Jams #38459
09/27/08 11:47 AM
09/27/08 11:47 AM
San Francisco
M
Mercurymarc Offline
Mercurymarc  Offline
M

San Francisco
Quote:

Quote:

I have been reading these posts for several months and getting ready to paint my 63 Mercury Comet white with blue Shelby stripes. I plan on rollerizing most of the car and spraying the hard to get places, like door jams and trunk. I am still sanding and filling and have some time for planning... Just curious if the jams and hard to reach places are painted before or after the large panels are rolled?
Thanks!

Mercurymarc,

Frankly I wouldn't bother spraying the door jambs - I painted mine with a foam brush and they came out great. Too much hassle with masking and overspray by spraying them.

Good luck !
Frank.

Jerry and Frank-
Thanks for the advice.
-Marc

Marc in SF
63 Blue Comet 260 Sedan- White w/blue stripes
Done using the "$50 Paint Job" method!
Re: Painting the Door Jams [Re: Mercurymarc] #38460
09/28/08 08:44 PM
09/28/08 08:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have mixing small batches also.
Also I have been adding a product called 'Penetrol'. I am not sure if is available in the US under that name. Basically it helps paint spread and stick.
I mix 100ml batches using the following formula :
70ml paint
15ml Penetrol
15ml mineral turps.
Initially I wasn't using a primer, but I am using Interlux's own primer called 'Prekote'. What I did notice with this is that is really soaks up the first coat or two so you dont get a gloss finish until about the 3rd coat.
But I am thinking using a primer will give a better result in the end.
Cheers,
Frank.

Re: Painting the Door Jams #38461
09/29/08 12:17 AM
Ohio
P
pdqvsix Offline
pdqvsix  Offline
P

Ohio
Yes it is called Penetrol here in the states also,i've seen it at Lowes hardware / home improvement stores. I've never tried it though,i just use rustoleum and mineral spirits without any primer over bare metal.Painted my car with the roller using this method when the original thread first started and it still looks as good now as it did then.

HVLP turbine??? [Re: Donny O.] #38462

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Has any one thought about trying to spray the rustoleum with an electric hvlp rig like the one at harbor freight. I know this thread is all about rolling it on. But this would still be really cheap and fast!! i wonder if it would be better to thin with acetone than mineral spirits. there is an rx7 on youtube the guy sprayed with a conventional setup that looks like it came out pretty good

Re: HVLP turbine??? #38463
09/30/08 08:57 AM
09/30/08 08:57 AM
Des Moines IA
S
Soopernaut Offline
master
Soopernaut  Offline
master
S

Des Moines IA
If I paint the bottom of my truck should I paint full strength with Rustoleum or should I do thin layers? The appearance isn't a factor but would a thick layer ever become fully dry?

Is there a way to scuff and wetsand a factory textured roof? I guess I wouldn't have to wetsand between layers but maybe the final layer would benefit from it. It may be difficult to buff but I guess a textured roof doesn't need much of a shine to it anyway? I don't want to lose the texture. It looks decent now but if the rest of the truck is painted it may not look as good. I may also want to change the roof color. Would it even be possible to get full coverage without a nappy roller cover? I'm thinking a foam roller might only put the paint on the high areas although it would flow but maybe it would pool up in the low areas?

How well is a thin layer of paint going to protect from rust? The truck has had 1 paint job in addition to the factory paint. I will probably have to sand at least down to the original paint and I'm sure some areas will be bare metal. If I paint the first layer and the truck sits for a week will the thin layer be enough to protect it from flash rust?

1970 Dodge d100/eventually going on a 77 D100 frame
Re: HVLP turbine??? #38464
09/30/08 09:44 PM
09/30/08 09:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi Trimmer.
I guess it would work OK, but why bother ? You may as well use normal auto enamel BC/CC or acrylic.
I think the whole purpose of this was to avoid spraying - plus - in terms of using the Brightside paint, the point is that it can be rollered due to its self-levelling properties. I am not sure if Rustoleum is similar.
Spray painting takes some skill I believe - rolllering , once you trial and error a test panel and work out a good formula is pretty easy.
Hence the beauty of it.
My 2c of course.
Cheers,
Frank.

Wow #38465
10/01/08 12:25 PM
10/01/08 12:25 PM
Lake George
B
blue195 Offline
blue195  Offline
B

Lake George
Here's a funny story-
When I decided to roll on paint was after my son wrecked my car a couple years ago. The other party's insurance company gave me a big check for the car's repair, and I repaired it myself for under $500, including the Rustoleum safety red and all the paraphernalia to paint it. Pocketed the rest.

Fast forward one year, on the same week one year later, my son wrecked the car again, same panels involved as last time, again not his fault. This time I was working out-of-town and told him just take it to the body shop, and squared it all away with the insurance company, etc. by phone.

So, when he got there yesterday to pick up the car all the body shop people stopped working and came to the counter. The shop foreman asked him "Where did you get that paint?" My son said he didn't know, that his dad painted it. So the shop foreman asked the question everybody at the body shop wanted to know: "Well, we use a computerized camera system to match paint. The computer selects the year, make, and model of the car from a few photographic samplings of your car and matches them so we can custom mix the paint to each car. Where the hell did your dad get the Lamborghini Countach paint? Does he have one?"

I wish I had been there to tell them it was Rustoleum I rolled on with a roller and mineral spirits!

Re: HVLP turbine??? [Re: Soopernaut] #38466
10/03/08 12:24 AM
10/03/08 12:24 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi Soopernaut.
I cant picture the textured roof - is it like a vinyl roof ? I guess you could scuff it with a soft wire brush. It wont be a problem rollering it as long as you dont put too much paint on the roller.
The foam will contour to the texture as you roll I believe.
As for one thin coat on the bottom, that will prob be OK for flash rust, but in the long term it will be too thin to protect from stones etc.
I would go straight unthinned on the bottom - or maybe 5% thinned.
Cheers,
Frank.

Re: Wow [Re: blue195] #38467
10/03/08 12:27 AM
10/03/08 12:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

"Where the hell did your dad get the Lamborghini Countach paint? Does he have one?"

OMG wow that's excellent! too funny

Re: HVLP turbine??? #38468
10/04/08 01:40 AM
10/04/08 01:40 AM
Des Moines IA
S
Soopernaut Offline
master
Soopernaut  Offline
master
S

Des Moines IA
Quote:

Hi Soopernaut.
I cant picture the textured roof - is it like a vinyl roof ? I guess you could scuff it with a soft wire brush. It wont be a problem rollering it as long as you dont put too much paint on the roller.
The foam will contour to the texture as you roll I believe.
As for one thin coat on the bottom, that will prob be OK for flash rust, but in the long term it will be too thin to protect from stones etc.
Cheers,
Frank.

Thanks for the reply.

The roof has a simulated vinyl texture created with paint.

For the bottom I didn't plan on leaving just 1 thin layer. I just thought there could be a bit of time between the first and second layer and didn't know if the protection against rust would be there. I guess I'll put in on full strength because it probably won't matter if it doesn't fully harden. I'm not going to buff it or anything.

Re: HVLP turbine??? [Re: Soopernaut] #38469
10/06/08 07:17 PM
10/06/08 07:17 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Cheers,
Frank.

OR... what you could do is this. Most cars have a rockguard or chipguard type coating on their lower panels. It is a clear plastic coating that looks somewhat like a smooth ornage peel with a plastic coating over it.

Sooooooooo... what I would do... I paint the lower sections at the same time as you paint the upper panels BUT NEVER go back and sand those lower panels. This way you will build up a faster and thicker layer of paint on those lower panels. You would continue as usual to do all the proper sanding and finishing on the upper panels.

In the end... if you follow this pattern of painting and not sanding the lower panels, the paint accumulated will be at least twice as thick as the uppper panels.

When the entire paint job is finished and you have been able to let the paint job fully cure... you could go to your automotive jobber shop and buy a can of the clear plastic 'chipguard' or 'rockguard' or whatever they call that stuff. Then you would just roll a layer of that coating over the unsanded lower panels... sealing the paint under the safety of the plasticky and fairly durable chipguard coating.

NOW... if you car was painted black... you might be able to cheat a little... by buying a can of that Rhinoskin ( or Rhinoguard ) or whatever the heck they call it. It is a black plasticky coating that they sell to protect the bed of the pckup trucks. It has great adhesion and it is more then durable enough to withstand rock gravel that may bounce off it. I am not sure... but I think it only comes in BLACK. That is why I was suggesting that it might be a good alternative coating for the lower panels on a black vehicle.

Last edited by Marq; 10/07/08 09:42 AM.
Pics of my car. [Re: Marq] #38470
10/08/08 12:58 AM
10/08/08 12:58 AM
Laurens, SC
R
Radio Joe Offline
Radio Joe  Offline
R

Laurens, SC
I havent been around in a while. I have been painting the car on and off when I could. I still would like to put one more layer on both the red and the black and I havent polished it yet but its lookign pretty good.

4736692-roof1.jpg (249 downloads)
Last edited by Radio Joe; 10/08/08 01:01 AM.
Re: Pics of my car. [Re: Radio Joe] #38471
10/08/08 01:01 AM
10/08/08 01:01 AM
Laurens, SC
R
Radio Joe Offline
Radio Joe  Offline
R

Laurens, SC
More pics

4736696-back.jpg (314 downloads)
Re: HVLP turbine??? [Re: Marq] #38472
10/08/08 01:46 PM
10/08/08 01:46 PM
Des Moines IA
S
Soopernaut Offline
master
Soopernaut  Offline
master
S

Des Moines IA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Cheers,
Frank.

OR... what you could do is this. Most cars have a rockguard or chipguard type coating on their lower panels. It is a clear plastic coating that looks somewhat like a smooth ornage peel with a plastic coating over it.

Sooooooooo... what I would do... I paint the lower sections at the same time as you paint the upper panels BUT NEVER go back and sand those lower panels. This way you will build up a faster and thicker layer of paint on those lower panels. You would continue as usual to do all the proper sanding and finishing on the upper panels.

In the end... if you follow this pattern of painting and not sanding the lower panels, the paint accumulated will be at least twice as thick as the uppper panels.

When the entire paint job is finished and you have been able to let the paint job fully cure... you could go to your automotive jobber shop and buy a can of the clear plastic 'chipguard' or 'rockguard' or whatever they call that stuff. Then you would just roll a layer of that coating over the unsanded lower panels... sealing the paint under the safety of the plasticky and fairly durable chipguard coating.

NOW... if you car was painted black... you might be able to cheat a little... by buying a can of that Rhinoskin ( or Rhinoguard ) or whatever the heck they call it. It is a black plasticky coating that they sell to protect the bed of the pckup trucks. It has great adhesion and it is more then durable enough to withstand rock gravel that may bounce off it. I am not sure... but I think it only comes in BLACK. That is why I was suggesting that it might be a good alternative coating for the lower panels on a black vehicle.

Thanks for the reply. I was actually refering to the bottom of the floors not the bottom of the side panels. This will be painted separately probably in a different color.

Is this Rhinoskin something you roll on or spray on? I think Rustoleum paint would serve the same purpose and may be cheaper so I'm leaning that direction.

Re: HVLP turbine??? [Re: Soopernaut] #38473
10/08/08 08:36 PM
10/08/08 08:36 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I was actually refering to the bottom of the floors not the bottom of the side panels. This will be painted separately probably in a different color.

Is this Rhinoskin something you roll on or spray on? I think Rustoleum paint would serve the same purpose and may be cheaper so I'm leaning that direction.

Oh... ok... well the bottom of the floors needs some clarification then...

Do you mean bottom of the floors... ie the part of the floor pans that you feet touch and that face inward in to the cockpit of the vehicle... or

Do you mea bottom of the floors... ie the part of the floor pans that face down towards the ground ( ie underneath the vehicle ).

If it is the interior floor pan... you could slap on the paint normally ( not thinned ) and just do two coats... You could also use that truck box liner paint on the interior floor. It would probably hold up better over the long run because carpets can get wet and it would be nice to have a surface coating that repeals water because of its platicky properties.

IF you were talking about underneath the car.. you could spray on Rustoleum paint straight out of the can.. and nail it in one or two coats. It would probably provide excellent anti-rust protection.. but eventually the road rocks would chip away openings to the metal surface below. You would have to plan on repainting the undercarrage every couple of years to ensure that your surface remains sealed. I would not use the Rhinoskin type stuff on the undercarriage... just because of the cost...

Page 108 of 167 1 2 106 107 108 109 110 166 167