Ky.
D
dart67 Offline OP
super stock
dart67  Offline OP
super stock
D

Ky.
Well, I've worked on my dash now for 2 weekends. Primed it and was proud.....til I let the light hit it just right. Looks like an idiot did it!

5 different creases. Started out with 2. Only thing I can come up with is to sand it all down and start over. Maybe put filler over the whole section ( from 3 inches to the right of ignition sw. to about 5 inches from the end of the dash, left to right) and sand it all at the same time. Thoughts?

I refuse to quit.

TIA, Kevin

Re: Bodymen: I need some advice [Re: dart67] #373527
07/12/09 11:13 PM
07/12/09 11:13 PM
Texas
blewbyu2bad Offline
blewbyu2bad  Offline

Texas
I have just finished the dash for my 69 dart. I assume you have the dash out of the car. If so dis-assemble it all the way and work the areas as much as possible with a hammer and dolly. If its creased work them out then skim coat it. Doesn't matter how much you cover, the idea is to get a smooth level skim on it. Work that with a small flat block and 60 to 80 grit. I used a paint stick to get in small areas that my block would not work on. You may have to skim it 2 or 3 more times to get it just right. Stop sanding when you see the high spots (metal) show through and pick those down (doesn't take a lot of force or a lot of hits). Continue sanding with very frequent stops to feel the work. You can use a thin white cotton glove to feel the surface and it will magnify the highs and lows. Skim coat again and repeat until its all straight. Last pass you might step up to 150 grit. Use a catalyst high solids primer surfacer then guide coat and start the sanding with 180, prime and use 220 and finally prime and use 400 wet. Guide coat every new layer of surfacer. This has always worked well for me. If you ask 10 people you will get 10 ways to do it.
Good luck

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive GM