Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #365557
07/06/09 02:36 PM
07/06/09 02:36 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Quote:

Quote:

With the camquest program, I can actually see what the car is going to be doing rather than trying to put cam names on a dart board. What's gonna be hard is trying to find a car that has a nice choppy to mild rough idle cause I know the good torque producing cars are low lift and don't have a very radical idle as say the other guy in the 500+ lift range.

Another thing, I'm heading out to the junkyard here in a few and am gonna be looking at heads. I know there's nothing wrong with my 346 heads, but if I come across a set of 915 or 516 heads you think it would be a better thought to go with closed chamber rather than open chamber heads?

Didn't you just post 12 hours ago that you were going with Stealths???

That's why I stated this thread is all over the place!Now he wants a rough idling cam that makes good torque is a 383? I think it's time to sit this one out,I'll just spectate

Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: CurYellowBird] #365558
07/06/09 02:40 PM
07/06/09 02:40 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Does the LSA play that big of a factor when using either headers or manifolds? The LSA on that 280 grind is 110* but I know that new 284 MP cam has 114 LSA along with the previous one that had 108* or so LSA.

That sucks that performer RPM intake doesn't clear cause I do plan on using the factory air cleaner. Has anyone used that M1 dual plane intake before? It looks kinda like the stock intake so I'm curious if the runners are larger and better air flow?

PS I'm the young gun

LSA matters alot with headers vs manifolds because LSA effects overlap. Overlap is the time that both the intake and exhaust valve are open between the ehxuast and intake stroke. The overlap helps out power at higher rpm because of scavenging created by the exhaust (kind of a vacuum created by the momentum of the exhaust moving out of the engine) which helps create a lower pressure in the cylinder and draw the intake charge in faster and stronger (thus getting more in). Headers create alot of scavenging, manifolds dont. So when you're running manifolds having alot of overlap just kills power because the cam isnt taking advantage of any scavenging, instead you're just bleeding off compression and burning exhaust like a large cam engine does at lower rpm.

Good luck with the cam, I'd reccomend Engle.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: 3twos] #365559
07/06/09 02:42 PM
07/06/09 02:42 PM
San Antonio, TX
CurYellowBird Offline OP
mopar
CurYellowBird  Offline OP
mopar

San Antonio, TX
No, the data I put into camquest was using HP manifolds. I want to keep the motor looking stock and give it a lot more than what the factory was giving.

With a 3.91 gear, wouldn't that be too much gear? I've seen how easy it is to break traction with a stick. Another issue with the 71' b bodies is that there is hardly any weight in the rear and is hard to get good traction. An owner of a 71' charger told me this and also said there was a brick weight that the factory put on some cars right above the axle housing in attempt to get better traction. This brick weight was only 25lb. though.

Cuda, wouldn't a set of 915's work just as good as stealths? The only difference is the weight. It would be nice to have a set of 915 or other closed chamber head on the side in case finances fall through for the stealth heads. I'm still leaning towards stealth because I'm keeping the AC so it will help compensate for that.

And who doesn't want their car to have a nice sound at idle? Comp cams claimed that the XE262 and XE268H both have choppy to mildly rough idles, so I'll just take their word for it.

Last edited by DarkRunner; 07/06/09 02:52 PM.

Project War Bird: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4 speed with air conditioning GY3 Curious yellow All original
Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: CurYellowBird] #365560
07/06/09 02:51 PM
07/06/09 02:51 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

No, the data I put into camquest was using HP manifolds. I want to keep the motor looking stock and give it a lot more than what the factory was giving.

With a 3.91 gear, wouldn't that be too much gear? I've seen how easy it is to break traction with a stick. Another issue with the 71' b bodies is that there is hardly any weight in the rear and is hard to get good traction. An owner of a 71' charger told me this and also said there was a brick weight that the factory put on some cars right above the axle housing in attempt to get better traction. This brick weight was only 25lb. though.

I think the brick weight is a tall tale myself...

Closed chamber heads can be thought of as different things I guess, because the Stealth heads are in the 84cc range...
The aluminum will have to be accounted for as well as it will remove heat from the combustion chamber more than an iron head. I think the Stealth heads should have had a slightly smaller chamber to be considered "interchangeable" with iron heads for comparison purposes....

Don't use ANY kind of computer program as gospel. They will give good ideas, and general answers, but many can be wrong, tricked, and if the input isn't exact the outcome of the computer program won't be exact either.
Enter a compression ratio "as claimed" would be a guess IMO, and not an exact figure.
Same goes for head flow, combustion chamber cc, etc...

You can search for answers for a month before choosing a cam, and while you will most likley be ballpark in what you end up with, the experience will help you choose the next cam. And so on...

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: CurYellowBird] #365561
07/06/09 02:54 PM
07/06/09 02:54 PM
Suffolk,VA
I
ireland383 Offline
super stock
ireland383  Offline
super stock
I

Suffolk,VA
The only way they'll work is if you sink a lot of money into them for the bigger valves,hardened seats and the milling that needs to be done to achieve a higher CR.

Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: CurYellowBird] #365562
07/06/09 02:55 PM
07/06/09 02:55 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

Cuda, wouldn't a set of 915's work just as good as stealths? The only difference is the weight. It would be nice to have a set of 915 or other closed chamber head on the side in case finances fall through for the stealth heads. I'm still leaning towards stealth because I'm keeping the AC so it will help compensate for that.

915s have 1.74 exhaust valves, but many heads with closed chambers came with 1.60 exhaust valves, not that there is anything wrong with 1.60's on a 383. They COULD be opened up to 1.74 anyways....
The wreckers have been picked over pretty good in the years gone by, finding 915s might be tough, I'm not sure in your neck of the woods...

Quote:

And who doesn't want their car to have a nice sound at idle? Comp cams claimed that the XE262 and XE268H both have choppy to mildly rough idles, so I'll just take their word for it.

My 268 Comp in a 400 had a burble at idle, but I wouldn't call it "choppy"... Nice idle, nice power from idle on up, I liked it. It pulled hard.

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: CurYellowBird] #365563
07/06/09 04:26 PM
07/06/09 04:26 PM
Bloomington, Illernoise
cptn60 Offline
super stock
cptn60  Offline
super stock

Bloomington, Illernoise
you have posted on here all about different things regarding your motor. You haven't addressed the driveline and chassis at all. you are gonna need Caltracs, subframe connectors, torqueboxes and good axles. Blueprint your frontend; go to manual steering and you are definitely going to need more than 3.23s to achieve your et goal. Even, even, EVEN IF your engine cranks 400 horses at the flywheel, you need to remember MoPar built cars as packaged vehicles; THAT was the secret to success in the 60's. you aint building a shivverlay, so throw that stuff out the window. Build your motor like you say you want to, and then we will help you find the 2 seconds of et you are missing.

This space available for rent
Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: cptn60] #365564
07/06/09 06:08 PM
07/06/09 06:08 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
I could swear the XE268 was one of the choices from the beginning...lol. The 268 will have a slight chop with manifolds. It's smooth with headers and static around 9.8:1. Better heads can use smaller cams well, and fora car with full exhaust you want more lift and duration on the exh side because the scavenging isnt as good with them. That's the real basic stuff anyway. Hopefully some of you research told you that.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: moper] #365565
07/06/09 06:40 PM
07/06/09 06:40 PM
IA
L
landon1 Offline
mopar
landon1  Offline
mopar
L

IA
yup (that's the cam i suggested - i'm using it in my mild 440 build)....personally, the rough idle i never found to be all that great. on a racecar, fine, but on a street car it sounds ridiculous and you won't make power till 2500 or more RPMs.

i chose the XE 268 because, using camquest it was the best cam for my application (highest HP and TQ (compromise on torque, but not by much), it fit into my powerband (from 1500-5800 i believe are the specs), and i didn't want to change my converter. comp claims a slightly rough idle - idk if that's true or not. if so, fine, but if not it's not a big deal. if you get on youtube, there is a vid of a 71 GTO big block with a XE 268...it think it sounds healthy, not an over-cammed starving for air sound.

'71 Satellite Sebring 440
Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: landon1] #365566
07/06/09 08:29 PM
07/06/09 08:29 PM
San Antonio, TX
CurYellowBird Offline OP
mopar
mopar

San Antonio, TX
Quote:

you have posted on here all about different things regarding your motor. You haven't addressed the driveline and chassis at all. you are gonna need Caltracs, subframe connectors, torqueboxes and good axles. Blueprint your frontend; go to manual steering and you are definitely going to need more than 3.23s to achieve your et goal. Even, even, EVEN IF your engine cranks 400 horses at the flywheel, you need to remember MoPar built cars as packaged vehicles; THAT was the secret to success in the 60's. you aint building a shivverlay, so throw that stuff out the window. Build your motor like you say you want to, and then we will help you find the 2 seconds of et you are missing.

I know the rest of the car needs to be brought up to specs with the engine once it's done. The car is already manual steering from the factory so I'll just check that off the list . As i mentioned before, I think the 3.55 or 3.73 gear is a good top and bottom gear, and what spline axles did the b bodies come with in those sure grip rear ends?

As far as the sound goes, if it has a nice roar to it thats fine. I'm not going for the dragster idle cause the motor won't be designed for that. I'm looking at getting more torque while getting the hp at 400 at the fly wheel. And why do 383 motors like to rev? I've heard that line a lot here on Moparts.

Project War Bird: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4 speed with air conditioning GY3 Curious yellow All original
Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: CurYellowBird] #365567
07/06/09 08:36 PM
07/06/09 08:36 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
And why do 383 motors like to rev? I've heard that line a lot here on Moparts.

the 383's had a 3.375 stroke compared to the relatively long stroke (3.75) of the 413-440's.

Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: CurYellowBird] #365568
07/06/09 11:58 PM
07/06/09 11:58 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Online content
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Online Content
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

You're right greenhorn, YOU started the arguement when you first came on here with the whole thread to begin with. Anybody not worshipping the MP junk is a fool in your eyes.

You must be reading a playboy when your typing this cause you sure aren't reading the posts on this thread. Yeah I'm a real greenhorn after building 6 engines.

I don't know why you have such a piss poor attitude but you do. You obviously don't need our help, yet you are on here asking all of this stuff. SO which is it? Are you new to this or are you are ready to join up with John Force's team?

I'm not the only that has noticed you have this negative view of the collective advice here. I'm just not as nice as others and have no problem telling you that you have no reason to snap at those that have done this a time or 20.

Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: SomeCarGuy] #365569
07/07/09 01:52 AM
07/07/09 01:52 AM
San Antonio, TX
CurYellowBird Offline OP
mopar
mopar

San Antonio, TX
Piss poor attitude? I've thanked everyone for their advice and apparently I did listen cause I picked out two comp cams to go with. I haven't snapped at anyone.

So lets make this clear, I'm not pissin in anyone's cup a coffee here. YOU and ME aren't makin any impression on the rest of the guys on this forum by playing this "battle of messages". If your gonna keep jackin on me cause I'm 18 just to make yourself feel better than knock yourself out cause this isn't phasing me a bit.

I basically agreed with your first post on page 1 of this thread by saying I was going with the XE268H or XE262. I just preferred using camquest cause that shows the numbers rather than picking a cam out of a hat.

PS Force's team does sound pretty cool lol. Who wouldn't wanna be on that team?

Last edited by DarkRunner; 07/07/09 02:00 AM.

Re: 383 cam suggestions (4 speed owners chime in plz) [Re: CurYellowBird] #365570
01/02/10 12:42 PM
01/02/10 12:42 PM
sweden
C
cuda-sweden Offline
mopar
cuda-sweden  Offline
mopar
C

sweden
hi,what cam did you go for

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5