05/30/07 10:21 AM
05/30/07 10:21 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
i went to the book store last night looking for the hotrod article and i couldn't find it, anyone have a copy they can scan and post?

thanks

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36535
05/30/07 10:55 AM
05/30/07 10:55 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just throw my satin spraying experiences in the mix...
I used 4:1 as a Paint:Thinners ratio, and 40psi. I opened the garage door, and that was it as far as ventilation goes. Using mineral spirits meant it wasn't too smelly - so I actually got NO complaints from my wife!! Try that with a Urethane...
And the same comments apply re runs - if you get any, just quickly wipe them (and the roller idea sounds better than my finger) and let the coat self level. You can rub them out when the coat's dry anyway...

It depends on the size of your car and the size of your garage, but I'd think that a 20 foot hose might not be long enough, and you don't want to drag the hose across a freshly painted panel...

One thing I did find when I was using a touch up gun for door jambs etc was that the paint would dry at the tip of the gun, and therefore the paint supply disappeared. The cure was to periodically wipe the tip. That only happened on the touch-up gun however - probably because the nozzle was SO much smaller than the 1.2 I used with the real gun.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36536
05/30/07 12:03 PM
05/30/07 12:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I used 4:1 as a Paint:Thinners ratio, and 40psi. I opened the garage door, and that was it as far as ventilation goes. Using mineral spirits meant it wasn't too smelly - so I actually got NO complaints from my wife!! Try that with a Urethane...
And the same comments apply re runs - if you get any, just quickly wipe them (and the roller idea sounds better than my finger) and let the coat self level. You can rub them out when the coat's dry anyway...

It depends on the size of your car and the size of your garage, but I'd think that a 20 foot hose might not be long enough, and you don't want to drag the hose across a freshly painted panel...

One thing I did find when I was using a touch up gun for door jambs etc was that the paint would dry at the tip of the gun, and therefore the paint supply disappeared. The cure was to periodically wipe the tip. That only happened on the touch-up gun however - probably because the nozzle was SO much smaller than the 1.2 I used with the real gun.

1.2mm tip for the car? Cool- Thanks for the info. My garage is very tight- I might have to spray one side, front and back. Wait for it to dry then move the car and spray the other. I dont think i will but would this affect the job?

What filters/water traps did u use? I had to replace the one I had on the compressor as it was an oiler/filter... I mainly used it for air tools.

Also I'm getting a 50 foot hose today aswell as a p/s reg- thanks!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36537
05/30/07 12:52 PM
05/30/07 12:52 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

1.2mm tip for the car? Cool- Thanks for the info. My garage is very tight- I might have to spray one side, front and back. Wait for it to dry then move the car and spray the other. I dont think i will but would this affect the job?

What filters/water traps did u use? I had to replace the one I had on the compressor as it was an oiler/filter... I mainly used it for air tools.

My HVLP gun had a 1.5mm tip, that seemed good for anything, single stage acrylic enamel, BC/CC, and tremclad, just make sure you have no water in your system, and i allways like to clamitize my compressor just prior to paint, putting the tank pressure to 5/10psi and putting an elastic on the paint gun trigger which is empty and let it run for 20 mins or so, then clean the gun, and blow out the hose really well, i find that it reduces the amount of water that condenses in the compressor, i also drain all the water out of the tank after running it dry like that. Also i ususally keep the compressor out of the garage, otherwise the intake will get really plugged. I paint typically with 30-45psi on the HVLP gun. You could also do a dry practice run, with no paint in the gun and plan out your spray technique, basically going thru the motions without painting the car just planning your attack of all the pannels, you may find depending on the car your painting, that you've left an area for too long before getting back to it, and you can alter your order of painting. ALso, one big issue you'll have painting in your garage, is fall-out, the paint in the air that likes to settle on your hood and roof, i try to do the sides first, then avoid the roof/trunk/hood, and let the air clear for a bit, and tack the roof/trunk/hood with a tack cloth and then paint the flat surfaces, otherwise you may end up with some fallout on your pannels, espically with single stage paints. With tremclad/rustoleum i did'nt have that problem as much almost not at all. I find the tremclad/rustoleum does'nt linger in the air as long, and smells about 90% less than single stage auto paints.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36538
05/30/07 02:37 PM
05/30/07 02:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As far as the 1.2 tip goes - it was not through any real planning - it was just the one that was on the gun!
But it seemed to work OK.
And as for water traps....er....I didn't use one. I know that's wrong, and maybe I was just lucky as I didn't get any drips through the gun. That said, I would use one as insurance when I do another car.

And as for painting half the car at a time - you've gotta do what you've gotta do! With a satin finish it'll be more forgiving when you get overspray (as you will when you do the horizontal parts), but you just have to deal with what happens when it happens! Again - don't let it put you off.
I have no idea why, but I definitely didn't get as much airborne paint dust with the Tremclad as I have in the past with single stage urethanes.
The tip about moving the compressor outside is a good one - if your neighbors don't mind the noise!

And as for the 50' hose - it's worth it for sure, but they're a pain to roll up afterwards, and watch for kinks!!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36539
05/30/07 03:49 PM
05/30/07 03:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

also a moisture trap pu tin a bucket of ice when painting will help to remove water from your lines.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #36540
05/30/07 05:20 PM
05/30/07 05:20 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!

Flint, MI
Quote:

i went to the book store last night looking for the hotrod article and i couldn't find it, anyone have a copy they can scan and post?

thanks

IIRC V8Nut offered to host it if someone would PM him a scan. (Since there might be copyright issues if someone here in the states posted it).

I too have been looking for the mag and can't find it. BTW - its a crime that you were not prominently mentioned.

I still remember post like #8 in the original original thread where you posted your pic and the response was "Dude! You did that with a roller?!" That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the pic. Roller??? Whaaaat????

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #36541
05/30/07 05:28 PM
05/30/07 05:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

V8Nut offered to host it if someone would PM him a scan. (Since there might be copyright issues if someone here in the states posted it).

The offer still stands if anyone wants to scan it and email me it I will host it mcunild@gmail.com

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36542
05/30/07 07:13 PM
05/30/07 07:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for all the quick answers... Greatly appreciated.

Update:

Just ordered pressure switch from Grainger.. Was about $45 =( No one else had it...

That's not too bad though because I only got the compressor for $40 hehe. Now it will finally turn off at 125 instead of blowing the safety release every 5 minutes and me having to turn it off. Oh well.

This might be a stupid question but whats the difference between satin and semi-gloss? Is it a shade flatter?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36543
05/30/07 08:48 PM
05/30/07 08:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yea, satin is a flatter.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #36544
05/30/07 09:31 PM
05/30/07 09:31 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!

Ontario, Canada
Haven't seen the article yet, but if you aren't mentioned prominently in it, almost seems like a waste of time to read. I like to see credit given where it's due.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch...... Looks like I'm almost back to square one with the truck. I found the correct 78 box for it, mild rust in the wells, but clean and straight, front fenders, hood and doors. The only thing I don't have to repaint is the top of the cab
Looks like another summer of "rolling on down the driveway"
Good to see there is stil a lot of interest and input to this thread.

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36545
05/31/07 07:35 AM
05/31/07 07:35 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

V8Nut offered to host it if someone would PM him a scan. (Since there might be copyright issues if someone here in the states posted it).

The offer still stands if anyone wants to scan it and email me it I will host it mcunild@gmail.com

V8Nut, I just got the article, makes me really miss the 61 Falcon I had. Expect an email from me in the next few days.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #36546
05/31/07 02:50 PM
05/31/07 02:50 PM
St Andrews ,Manitoba ,Canada
C
C38coupe Offline
C38coupe  Offline
C

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My HVLP gun had a 1.5mm tip, that seemed good for anything, single stage acrylic enamel, BC/CC, and tremclad, just make sure you have no water in your system, and i allways like to clamitize my compressor just prior to paint, putting the tank pressure to 5/10psi and putting an elastic on the paint gun trigger which is empty and let it run for 20 mins or so, then clean the gun, and blow out the hose really well, i find that it reduces the amount of water that condenses in the compressor, i also drain all the water out of the tank after running it dry like that. Also i ususally keep the compressor out of the garage, otherwise the intake will get really plugged. I paint typically with 30-45psi on the HVLP gun. You could also do a dry practice run, with no paint in the gun and plan out your spray technique, basically going thru the motions without painting the car just planning your attack of all the pannels, you may find depending on the car your painting, that you've left an area for too long before getting back to it, and you can alter your order of painting. ALso, one big issue you'll have painting in your garage, is fall-out, the paint in the air that likes to settle on your hood and roof, i try to do the sides first, then avoid the roof/trunk/hood, and let the air clear for a bit, and tack the roof/trunk/hood with a tack cloth and then paint the flat surfaces, otherwise you may end up with some fallout on your pannels, espically with single stage paints. With tremclad/rustoleum i did'nt have that problem as much almost not at all. I find the tremclad/rustoleum does'nt linger in the air as long, and smells about 90% less than single stage auto paints.

Hi all, I have recently primed my 47 Chrysler Coupe in Tremclad grey Primer, it was reduced with 20% Automotive Enamel Reducer and shot with an HVLPgun at 35 to 40 psi. I put on 3 coats wet on wet. The body filler, and and other body work is to follow. I plan on topcoating with Tremclad and the roller method. Tremclad has a new color out, it's Pistachio, was thinkin of trying that color. I have been very impressed with what you guys have been accomplishing with your paint jobs..........C38coupe

3536630-maymorning(1).JPG (355 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: C38coupe] #36547
05/31/07 02:58 PM
05/31/07 02:58 PM
C
C38coupe Offline
C38coupe  Offline
C

Another pic from the rear, I know she doesn't look that great now, but you should have ssen what I started with, I hope to do all the bodywork and paint by the end of summer, right now I amsorting out mechanical and safety issues, it's all about time and money, which it seems I have very liitle to spare these days.C38coupe

3536649-may07(1).JPG (503 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: C38coupe] #36548
05/31/07 05:11 PM
05/31/07 05:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hey what's up guys, I'm from www.sr20forum.com, one of the members there recently painted their nissan maxima with rustoleum with great results, so that got me anxious to jump on the bandwagon. I will be rolling rustoleum black on the car as a sort of base (no primer, rolling straight over sanded/body filled surfaces), and topping it with Brightside black paint. I figure I could get by with 2 decent layers of Brightside over the entire car with 2 quarts.

I was wondering if any of you have tried clearcoating brightside? I called Interlux today and they said they did not recommend it, since the resins in the paint resist abrasion. However, I was actually able to put scratches on the surface of my Brightside paint lid (Brightside lids are tinted with the color of the paint) with my fingernail if I tried hard enough. I figure the entire car would look like scratched and swirled after a few months if the paint scratches this easily. I was thinking of buying some House of Kolor's polyurethane clear enamel, since I'm sure it would be compatible with Brightside. I originally wanted to go the Rustoleum route all the way, with a final topping of Rustoleum industrial clear, but I don't believe Rustoleum has UV inhibitors, and in Hawaii, the weather quickly beats up cars sitting outside.

Also, for anyone who's used Brightside, did you ever thin the paint before applying? I'm in high 70's to mid 80's weather, with decent humidity (I'm in Hawaii), so I hope I can get the Brightside on to my car with maximum gloss.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36549
05/31/07 06:52 PM
05/31/07 06:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Charger and V8nut, you have mail

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

V8Nut, I just got the article, makes me really miss the 61 Falcon I had. Expect an email from me in the next few days.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36550
05/31/07 06:57 PM
05/31/07 06:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey, Just wanted to say, Aloha Brah!! to WorldCrafter. It's the first time in all three parts of this thread that I've seen a brudah' from Hawaii on here.(I grew up in Honolulu). Okay then, Back to the discussion...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36551
05/31/07 10:03 PM
05/31/07 10:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thanks for the welcome The weather here seems decent enough to do the roller method without too many problems. I am doing this paint method on my 94 nissan sentra. I will be going over my current Earl Scheib paint job, which will be sanded/evercoat body filled prior to being painted. I have 6 coats of Rustuleom pro on my trunk at the moment. I noticed that it kind of greys up as it dries. Not sure if it's due to the odorless mineral spirits that I'm using, but I do not like this at all. I will probably end up top coating the trunk with brightside anyway--I want to get all the horizontal surfaces of my car coated with brightside, and I may just stick with rustoleum pro on the sides to cut costs. The Brightside here at the local West Marine store (their website is www.westmarine.com) is a whopping $38 bucks a quart. They also have Interlux perfection, Awl Grip, and West Marine Polyurethane paints available. Might have missed another brand name, not too sure, I was just amazed at their selection/shelf quantities (though quite depressed at the markups).

I am afraid that the paint will only last a little over a year here in Hawaii, but it should be very easy to repaint if necessary, once I get the bodywork nailed down.

I only have a month to do this before summer school starts. I really need to get moving

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36552
06/01/07 01:45 AM
06/01/07 01:45 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I am afraid that the paint will only last a little over a year here in Hawaii, but it should be very easy to repaint if necessary, once I get the bodywork nailed down.

I bet you'll be surprised, if you keep it washed and waxed I bet it(the paint) will do better there than you think. other than the salt in the air Hawaii is rather mild compared to the extremes here on the Mainland. My paint will have to withstand below zero temps in winter, 100+ in the summer, ice storms, hail storms, blizzards and high winds sometimes in excess of 60mph, with blowing dirt from the farm fields and 3 foot round tumble weeds smashing into it on the highway at 75mph. And I'm only using Rusto Pro. I'm betting your paint will far outlast mine if you take good care of it.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36553
06/01/07 04:14 PM
06/01/07 04:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My paint has been on going on a year. It's not faded or damaged in anyway. It's awesome. It's brightside. It sat in direct sun in 90-100 degree pa summer last year, sustained rain, sustained cold freezing, ice (and me scraping ice!), hail, and last but not least BIRD CRAP!

Paint looks as good as new. No fading. I'm repainting it next week because I hate the color but durability is AWESOME!

FYI it's been at the beach a bit it's a convertible.

Page 12 of 167 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 166 167