05/28/07 04:34 PM
05/28/07 04:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can anyone tell me if inital prep needs to be perfect? I am just done sanding 150 grit and some parts are not that dull yet.

I will be doing 320 grit before painting.

Does the paint stick to parts that are still clear?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36495
05/28/07 06:14 PM
05/28/07 06:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i dont know if i did something wrong but the clear didnt stick. i let it dry for a week then wetsanded then buffed then today i did some trim work and when i pulled the tape of slowly the clear came right off with it in big sheets.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36496
05/28/07 09:06 PM
05/28/07 09:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't need primer for Brightside correct?

How has your Brightside held up without primer?? For people who have experience..

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36497
05/28/07 09:09 PM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
JDMspec,

Have you polished/wetsanded the final coat yet? If so, what did you use?

Quote:

Can anyone tell me if inital prep needs to be perfect? I am just done sanding 150 grit and some parts are not that dull yet.

I will be doing 320 grit before painting.

Does the paint stick to parts that are still clear?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36498

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My paint (Brightside) has been just great and I have only washed the car twice since I painted it.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: kenzo42] #36499
05/28/07 09:22 PM
05/28/07 09:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

JDM Spec,

I am not in the painting stage yet. More sanding to do, then bondo, then more sanding.

Plus I still have to purchase paint.

Last edited by My93Civic; 05/28/07 09:23 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36500
05/28/07 09:26 PM
05/28/07 09:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

My paint (Brightside) has been just great and I have only washed the car twice since I painted it.

Thank you Aussie Driver. I was watching the Interlux painting guide and noticed they used primer. But you guys haven't so it shouldn't be needed.

I am so excited! But I have to hold back my urge to paint because I need to sand, sand some more.

BTW: Awesome Miata you have! My brother just purchased a used 2002 Miata and its really nice!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36501
05/28/07 10:20 PM
05/28/07 10:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

...the clear came right off with it in big sheets.

Yikes! didn't expect that!! Did you use polish or wax or anything ever before you cleared? what was your base paint?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36502
05/28/07 10:25 PM
05/28/07 10:25 PM
Massachusetts
Faust Offline
top fuel
Faust  Offline
top fuel

Massachusetts
Ok, before I get started with removing the trim. What is the final opinion, does Brightside work as well as Rustoleum?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Faust] #36503
05/28/07 10:57 PM
05/28/07 10:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Ok, before I get started with removing the trim. What is the final opinion, does Brightside work as well as Rustoleum?

From what I've seen, Brightside is better that Rustoleum, and quite a bit more expensive. Since I'm on a major budget I went with Rustoleum Professional. I got a gallon of gloss black at Wal-Mart for $25. I think I read that Brightside is like $30 a quart, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36504
05/28/07 11:11 PM
05/28/07 11:11 PM
Massachusetts
Faust Offline
top fuel
Faust  Offline
top fuel

Massachusetts
Here is a little info on Brightside. Apparently requires its own thinner, and a max thinning of 10%.
Brightside Spec page

Here is what I am not following. Both Rustoleum and Brightside are "enamels". There is a lot of talk here about final sanding and buffing. I always thought that enamel had a "layer" of gloss, and if you went though that you lost the gloss.

Is that true anymore?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Faust] #36505
05/28/07 11:23 PM
05/28/07 11:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Here is a little info on Brightside. Apparently requires its own thinner, and a max thinning of 10%.
Brightside Spec page

Here is what I am not following. Both Rustoleum and Brightside are "enamels". There is a lot of talk here about final sanding and buffing. I always thought that enamel had a "layer" of gloss, and if you went though that you lost the gloss.

Is that true anymore?

brightside can be thinned with mineral spirits, and it doesnt need to be thinned much. i rolled it straight from the can at first, and thinned the last coats a lil bit. and obviously frm all the results that have been posted here, sanding and polishing brings out shine with these paints.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: kenzo42] #36506
05/28/07 11:26 PM
05/28/07 11:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

JDMspec,

Have you polished/wetsanded the final coat yet? If so, what did you use?

yes, i wetsanded up to 2000, and polished with a bunch of stuff lol.. meguiars cutting compound, turtlewax polish compound, scratch/swirl remover, mothers power polish, turtle wax super hard shell wax

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36507
05/28/07 11:44 PM
05/28/07 11:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

question about clearcoating.. with this type of paint or with bc/cc.. do u wetsand the paint b4 u clear? can you?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36508
05/29/07 01:47 AM
05/29/07 01:47 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I don't need primer for Brightside correct?

How has your Brightside held up without primer?? For people who have experience..

YES AND NO... it depends on the body surface you are going to paint.

If you have bondo work... then primer the body. Bondo sucks in paint like a thirsty wall.

If you are just scruffing the original paint on your car... then you can probably go straight to paint.

If you have a car of many colors ( where body parts of different colors have been installed on your car ) then get a primer on there to give one uniform starting color upon which to apply your paint color.

If your final prep work on the body still shows sanding scratches... then you might want to go with a primer layer just to fill in the scratches and to give yourself a better chance at beginning the paint job on as smooth a surface as possible.

If you have bared metal... the choice is yours. All three paints can be applied directly to bared metal... or you can go 'old school' and primer just to absolutely ensure that those bare metal sections will not later have rust problems.

It all really depends on where your body is at...

Last edited by Marq; 05/29/07 02:07 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Faust] #36509
05/29/07 01:58 AM
05/29/07 01:58 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Is that true anymore?

NO. Brightside is a one stage polyurathane.

Rustoleum and Tremclad are enamels....

Both handle a final finishing equally... and both require about the same amount of work...

All 'glossy' paints have a glossy surface when freshly painted. But by wetsanding that final coat of paint you will be removing that 'gloss' while at the same time removing any surface imperfections and further smoothing and leveling the outer surface. As such... when you go to the polishing stage and waxing stage you will end up with a 'glossier' and 'shinier' surface because you have removed the surface imperfections. The smoother the top surface is, the shinier and better depth of gloss you will get.

Think of it this way. Have you ever seen what happens to stones when the gemologist guys put a bunch of rough rocks into a tumbler ( sort of like a small cement mixer type contraption ). After a couple of hours of being spun around in that tumbler the 'rough stones' end up with highly polished and smooth surfaces that are pretty enough to make into jewelery.

The final wet sanding, polishing, waxing and buffing are simply taking the painted glossy surface and further improving on it.

But in answer to your question... just about ANY paint or surface coating can be improved upon with some degree of wet sanding, polishing and waxing.

Last edited by Marq; 05/29/07 02:26 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36510
05/29/07 02:21 AM
05/29/07 02:21 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
I got a chance today to actually see the article about the $99 paint job that was in the Hot Rod magazine. I think they made an error in not making it their main story on the cover.

But I do believe that since they published that article, it may become one of the most sought after issues of their magazine as word of mouth spreads about it. Much the same as how word of mouth has spread this message thread on to other auto forums.

I think that article was a pretty decent representation of what has been going on here in this message thread. And as previously noted by one of the folks who first spoted that article in this month's Hot Rod magazine... they have validated that this paint method does work.

Sad to see that Charget didn't get mentioned... and even sadder that they used that beater of a Falcon for their paint job... compared to something sportier and snazzier.... but they did prove to themselves and their readership that folks can get a decent paint job by putting some sweat equity into their paint job and save bucks at the same time.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36511
05/29/07 02:38 AM
05/29/07 02:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

While looking at the interlux website I noticed a 2 part polyurethane paint that is also meant to be rolled on. The stuff is called perfection and is advertised as "The ultimate 2-part polyurethane gloss finish". Anyone tried this stuff or thinking of trying it? I might use it on my next project to see how well it works out

Interlux Perfection Brochure

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #36512
05/29/07 03:11 AM
05/29/07 03:11 AM
BC Canada
62440 Offline
enthusiast
62440  Offline
enthusiast

BC Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

SOMEONE IN THE KNOW PLEASE TEST YOUR PERFECT MIX WITH A VISCOSITY CUP!! Why are we all banging our heads on the mix issue? I've seen 50/50 down to 10%. C'mon, someone be a hero and help us out! This method would take into account everyone's local temps.
http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-0153165-VISCOSITY-CUP/dp/B00069P9KG

exactly, why is everyone banging their heads? its not that serious, just experiment a lil and u will find what works for you. there is not going to be any PERFECT percent mix that works for everyone, with every paint, in every climate.

i've allways said it is highly dependant on temperature and most importantly humidity. When i do the first few coats, if it's a new can of paint, i usually just use the straight paint (no mineral spirits), as i approach the final 4 coats, i typically add about 10%, and near the final coat i'm at about 15%, 20% MAX (regardless of climate). But i can say that there is no set mix, i've never exceeded 20%, and the conditions change as the can is used, so as the can gets older, and has been used i find you have to thin it more and more. But, it's more of a "feel" thing, i know when i'm mixing the paint in my tray, what consistancy i need, you either "got it" or you don't!!!!! I could just lie and say use 10% if that makes you all happy!!!

So the Way I See it , Basically You Just Keep the Paint the Same Consistency as it was when you First Open the Can. That makes Sense to Me because Tremclad say's Nothing about Thinning the Paint

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36513
05/29/07 05:05 AM
05/29/07 05:05 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

While looking at the interlux website I noticed a 2 part polyurethane paint that is also meant to be rolled on. The stuff is called perfection and is advertised as "The ultimate 2-part polyurethane gloss finish". Anyone tried this stuff or thinking of trying it? I might use it on my next project to see how well it works out

Interlux Perfection Brochure

The Perfection paint is amazing... but the problem with it for our purposes is :

a ) that you don't have anywhere near the wroking time to apply the paint before it starts curing on you. The reason it is 'two part polyurathane' is that one part is the paint and the other part is the catalyst to speed up the curing time and the hardness of the paint and ...

b ) it is not really designed to be thinned down.

That is why I went with the Brightside by Interlux - because it is a one part polyurathane. It gives you more time to 'work' the paint.. and it is compatible with thinners.

And to ice things off... Perfection cost even more than Brightside..

My suggestion would be to stick with a one stage polyurathane because it is more painter/roller friendly.

Page 10 of 167 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 166 167