Norway
G
General 68 Offline OP
mopar
General 68  Offline OP
mopar
G

Norway
I just changed a 160 to a 180 in the 440 but do not notice any change on the temp gauge. With the 160 the radiator used to push some coolant through the went after filling the radiator one inch below the top. This does not happen with the 180 in it. I switched back to the 160 to check any difference on the gauge but it reads the same. And withe the 160 it pushes coolant out the went to a lower level again. I checked both thermostats by hanging them in a pan of water and heating up while measuring the temps when they started to open. Both stats opened at their correct temperature, maybe the 180 opened a tad more. Can anyone explain why the 160 makes coolant drain? There is no pressure felt inside the upper radiator hose with either of the 'stats.
I was thinking with the correct radiator cap it should run some pressure?

Re: Thermostats [Re: General 68] #329542
05/26/09 06:08 PM
05/26/09 06:08 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
No clue as to the reason for spitting coolant with the 160 over the 180 but I will tell you that if the engien wants to run at say 190 niether stat will stop it. It will run the temp it wants to run if that temp is above the stat rating.
The burping problem is the reason vehicle manufacturers instituted the coolant recovery systems on the vehicles. It was very common in the days prior to the advent of the recovery systems.

Re: Thermostats [Re: MoparforLife] #329543
05/26/09 06:27 PM
05/26/09 06:27 PM
El Cerrito, by San Francisco
L
last426 Offline
super stock
last426  Offline
super stock
L

Quote:

I will tell you that if the engien wants to run at say 190 niether stat will stop it. It will run the temp it wants to run if that temp is above the stat rating.

If I understand what you are saying, I disagree. So long as there is an adequate radiator and flow, the thermostat should keep the temperature below what the "engine wants". Kim

Re: Thermostats [Re: last426] #329544
05/26/09 06:33 PM
05/26/09 06:33 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
The thermostat has absolutely no effect after the engine reaches the stats full opening temp which is what it's rated for. It can't lower the engine temp only raise it to it's rating. It's only job is to keep the water flow down until it hits a certian temp. Then the water flows freely through the stystem. The reason for using one is that engines are not efficient until they reach 180*.

Last edited by stumpy; 05/26/09 06:36 PM.
Re: Thermostats [Re: last426] #329545
05/26/09 06:41 PM
05/26/09 06:41 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Quote:

I will tell you that if the engien wants to run at say 190 niether stat will stop it. It will run the temp it wants to run if that temp is above the stat rating.

If I understand what you are saying, I disagree. So long as there is an adequate radiator and flow, the thermostat should keep the temperature below what the "engine wants". Kim

Well you are wrong. The stat CANNOT control the temperature above its rating. The stat is in the system to maintain a cooling temperature no lower than the rating and to help the engine reach that temperature sooner than teh enign e would reach it with full circulation but if your enfine wants to run 200 degrees it will - even if you have a 160 stat in it.

Re: Thermostats [Re: MoparforLife] #329546
05/26/09 06:52 PM
05/26/09 06:52 PM
tennessee
P
pushbutton Offline
pro stock
pushbutton  Offline
pro stock
P

tennessee
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well you are wrong. The stat CANNOT control the temperature above its rating. The stat is in the system to maintain a cooling temperature no lower than the rating and to help the engine reach that temperature sooner than teh enign e would reach it with full circulation but if your enfine wants to run 200 degrees it will - even if you have a 160 stat in it.

Re: Thermostats [Re: MoparforLife] #329547
05/26/09 09:28 PM
05/26/09 09:28 PM
L
last426 Offline
super stock
last426  Offline
super stock
L

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Of course a thermostat controls the top temperature. As I said, so long as there is an adequate radiator and flow, then the thermostat modulates to keep the temperature around its rating -- not higher. An engine would want to run several hundreds of degrees but for the cooling system and the thermostat. The modulation of the thermostat coupled with adequate flow and radiator keep the engine around its most efficient temp.

Assume you take the thermostat out. The temperature drops considerably, to the point of the heater not working. The temperature that is dropping is the top temperature.

I think where the confusion comes from is you're statement of "It will run the temp it wants to run if that temp is above the stat rating" when you actually mean that if it has an inadequate cooling system, a thermostat cannot make it run cooler. Kim

Re: Thermostats [Re: last426] #329548
05/26/09 09:45 PM
05/26/09 09:45 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Do run the 180 instead of the 160 & maybe even a 195.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Thermostats [Re: last426] #329549
05/26/09 10:29 PM
05/26/09 10:29 PM
Toronto, Canada
D
dirtybee Offline
super stock
dirtybee  Offline
super stock
D

Toronto, Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Of course a thermostat controls the top temperature. As I said, so long as there is an adequate radiator and flow, then the thermostat modulates to keep the temperature around its rating -- not higher. An engine would want to run several hundreds of degrees but for the cooling system and the thermostat. The modulation of the thermostat coupled with adequate flow and radiator keep the engine around its most efficient temp.

Assume you take the thermostat out. The temperature drops considerably, to the point of the heater not working. The temperature that is dropping is the top temperature.

I think where the confusion comes from is you're statement of "It will run the temp it wants to run if that temp is above the stat rating" when you actually mean that if it has an inadequate cooling system, a thermostat cannot make it run cooler. Kim

ok

Re: Thermostats [Re: last426] #329550
05/26/09 10:32 PM
05/26/09 10:32 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

"It will run the temp it wants to run if that temp is above the stat rating" when you actually mean that if it has an inadequate cooling system, a thermostat cannot make it run cooler. Kim

No I don't mean that! I mean that if that engine want to or has a tendancy to over heat don't be too quick to blame the stat. The only way a stat can cause an engine to over heat or run above the stat rating is if it is faulty. Something else is causing the problem like you say inadaquate cooling system for one reason or another being gunked up cooling passages in the engine or radiator core, bugs and dirt in the radiator fins blocking air flow, etc. or in a modified engine just plain flat not enough cooling system but it won't be the stat causing it.