A
a12superbee Offline
master
a12superbee  Offline
master
A

colorado
Quote:

The taper is designed to allow the lifters to rotate/spin in the bores.

Mike

I'm 'seeing' it right then. Thanks.

I can't afford this. mark
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #32579
12/23/06 11:00 AM
12/23/06 11:00 AM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

Mike, I want to bring up a few points that I think are worth clarifying for some of us. I think we previously established here that the 69 A12's had a standard 1 bolt cam and the nylon tooth timing gear with street hemi (black) valve springs. The 70 and 71 cams had the roller timing chains and I don't know if they were 1 or 3 bolt cams? Now I don't remember seeing this disputed in previous threads regarding the A12 cam but the A12 cam was not advertised as the same spec as the 383/440 HP cars. The A12 cam was advertised as 276-292 54 overlap (look at the 1969 Plymouth tells it like it is Sixbbl ad). The service manual lists a 383/440 HP "Power Pack" B-Body cam as a 268 284 46 cam (with red colored valve springs) The 383 Cuda's had yet a slightly different specification than the "Power Pack". The six pack's 292 exhaust duration would definitely give the A12 more rpm's, more torque at higher rpm's and the springs would help prevent valve float. The hot aftermarket replacement wedge cam of the time was the "Hemi" grind which had a 284 284 specification and was typically available with 3 bolts. I believe this ultimately became Chrysler's standard "Purple" cam. The A12 did have the same ratio rockers but were a tighter fit on the rocker shaft (round hole vs oval) and supposed to be heavier duty... but the sixpack cam is different. My

Is this one close enough?

Lift: Intake @Cam 3114 @Valve 467 All Lifts are based
on zero lash and theoretical rocker arm ratios.
Exhaust @ Cam 3294 @Valve 494
Rocker Arm Ratio 1.50

Cam Timing: TAPPET @.004
Lift: Opens Closes ADV Duration
Intake 26 BTDC 72 ABDC 278 °
Exhaust 80 BBDC 30 ATDC 292 °

Cam Timing: TAPPET @.050
Lift: Opens Closes Max Lift Duration
Intake 2 BTDC 40 ABDC 109 222 °
Exhaust 56 BBDC (2) BTDC 119 234 °

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Scatransit] #32580
12/23/06 01:17 PM
12/23/06 01:17 PM
Mid-Atlantic
S
Scatransit Offline OP
mopar
Scatransit  Offline OP
mopar
S

Mid-Atlantic
MAN! What an informative thread! I started it because I'm into the stock thing. I want to get the absolute most out of my engine while leaving it alone. Period. I'm not interested in fooling the tech inspection guys...I could care less about that stuff. I'm doing this for me, not them...

I am grateful that, as a result of this thread, I was able to contact Bob K. We spoke at length about what benefit his cam design would provide, with respect to what I was trying to accomplish. Bob was warm, generous, and was very intersted in the fact that I wanted to install his cam in my lowly little 383!

He treated me like an old freind on the phone, and I have NEVER met him! We simply don't know how lucky we are...This is a guy that was actually THERE - in Detroit - when these cars were making their mark! He got to rub elbows with some big names in the Chrysler Corp. His experiences as a youth are something that we would all give our left torsion bars to have been a part of!

The fact that he is still with us, is such a gentleman, and has no problem sharing with perfect strangers, makes him nothing less than a treasure.

As far as this Bigsqueeze guy goes, he's entitled to his opinion...This is, after all, an open forum. Personally I wish he would leave out the insulting comments.

Those of you interested in how Bob's cam does in a stock 383, stay tuned. I hope to have this thing together in the spring, and I'll post my results.

Merry Christmas to all!

[oo]======[oo]
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Scatransit] #32581
12/23/06 02:03 PM
12/23/06 02:03 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

MAN! What an informative thread! I started it because I'm into the stock thing. I want to get the absolute most out of my engine while leaving it alone. Period. I'm not interested in fooling the tech inspection guys...I could care less about that stuff. I'm doing this for me, not them...

I am grateful that, as a result of this thread, I was able to contact Bob K. We spoke at length about what benefit his cam design would provide, with respect to what I was trying to accomplish. Bob was warm, generous, and was very intersted in the fact that I wanted to install his cam in my lowly little 383!

He treated me like an old freind on the phone, and I have NEVER met him! We simply don't know how lucky we are...This is a guy that was actually THERE - in Detroit - when these cars were making their mark! He got to rub elbows with some big names in the Chrysler Corp. His experiences as a youth are something that we would all give our left torsion bars to have been a part of!

The fact that he is still with us, is such a gentleman, and has no problem sharing with perfect strangers, makes him nothing less than a treasure.

As far as this Bigsqueeze guy goes, he's entitled to his opinion...This is, after all, an open forum. Personally I wish he would leave out the insulting comments.

Those of you interested in how Bob's cam does in a stock 383, stay tuned. I hope to have this thing together in the spring, and I'll post my results.

Merry Christmas to all!

i've also talked to bob about putting his cam in my 383 dart , i'll figure that one out when i actually get the new motor finally built

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Scatransit] #32582
12/23/06 02:50 PM
12/23/06 02:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

What "insulting comments" are you talking about? You must be confusing facts with "insulting comments?"

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Scatransit] #32583
12/23/06 03:34 PM
12/23/06 03:34 PM
Burlington,Ont.
77DragracerR/T Offline
top fuel
77DragracerR/T  Offline
top fuel

Burlington,Ont.
I haven't got time to read all the post here,so I'll just ask.Do you get a card to tell you what the cam is to be dialed in at and is this a direct replacement cam for the 6pk or do you have to upgrade the rockers as well?
Thanks,Brad
Merry Christmas

77 Aspen R/T 60'@1.41 10.76 @ 123.26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eya3Ue8KoZk
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32584
12/23/06 06:00 PM
12/23/06 06:00 PM
Mid-Atlantic
S
Scatransit Offline OP
mopar
Scatransit  Offline OP
mopar
S

Mid-Atlantic
"...I wouldn't walk across the steet to pee on one."

Sounds like an insult to me.

Our opinions may never agree, but injecting them with something that mean-spirited is never appropriate. Keep that junk to yourself.

'Nuff said.

[oo]======[oo]
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Scatransit] #32585
12/23/06 08:10 PM
12/23/06 08:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

"...I wouldn't walk across the steet to pee on one."

Sounds like an insult to me.

Our opinions may never agree, but injecting them with something that mean-spirited is never appropriate. Keep that junk to yourself.

'Nuff said.

It'd be an insult if I said that I wanted to pee on Bob....... I didn't realize that you could insult a cam....... If I told you that I wouldn't pee on an Edelbrock Street Master intake, I'm not bashing Vic.......

You conveniently forgot the part in front of that;

Quote:

It gives the impression that he's arrogant.....

I just said that by doing that, he's giving off an arrogant impression........Big deal....I feel like's he's insulting the intelligence of his customers by not telling them the cam specs up front....so, in actuality, he's insulting you.....

If you'll notice, nobody has disagreed with me about me saying that there's no reason to run that cam in anything other than a Pure Stocker........

Next time you talk to Bob, ask him if more lift or a solid cam in his car would make it go quicker with the same idle quality....... When he says what I know he'll say, why would you still run his cam, unless you're going to the Pure Stocks?

I'm one of those people that tells it like it is.....Some people can't handle the truth.......Don't take it personaly.......

Bob is a great guy and he's been a huge asset to Pure Stock racing, but that cam isn't what any professional cam grinder would recommend to anyone other than a Pure Stock racer........

Sometimes, if you're smart enough to take good advice, you don't need it......

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32586
12/23/06 09:10 PM
12/23/06 09:10 PM
B
Beeware Offline
enthusiast
Beeware  Offline
enthusiast
B

Ok Wayne,

I'll bite, using a solid lifter cam on a paint daub, dated coded or even nice stock or stock appearing car why would you want a solid lifter cam??? Who wants to hear the valvetrain and even if you wanted to race in say Fast or purestock its a No and for a restored show car that would turn me off to hear solids ticking away, really really kills the theme of stock, redlines and all!

Hydro Roller, yes they have a fast ramp, are you sure that a fast ramp is what you need??? (I'll let you figure that one out) also in a stock or near stock 69 440 six pack if you used a hydro roller with the same duration (idle quailty)you might be able to get .040 more lift before you would be marginal on your piston to valve clearance and I'll say in reallity .030 would be closer, and even with .040 you would pick up minimal duration, almost none but some, also with only .040 of lift how much do you think your going to gain on an unported set of heads, go ahead type it into desktop dyno or anylizer it would be minimal and the cost of the hydo roller cam and lifters would be outragious campaired to Bobs cam, so your wasting a whole lot of cash, and time,remember this would be an untried combo, and at best you would accomplish the same, remember this is a stock or Nhra specked 69 440 or close to stock, no porting ,no aftermarket notched pistons, true flattops!!
Wayne notice the wording I'm using STOCK,NHRA specks or very close to stock when you go this route you dont have the piston to valve clearance to get big lift its minamal, you wouldnt see a big gain if any and you just brokethe bank on your budget.

Wayne when we talked at Nats years ago you make it sound like its some kind of Voodoo or special tricks to run mid 12's on redlines its not,not at all!!!, your very sceptical both then and now, There is a guy who has been doing this 35 plus years and hes put out his combo and then theres always guys who dont believe it and put together a better more expensive combo to successfly slow down and wrench on them more!

To the post above about duriburibilty, everybody thats running one of Bobs cams on this board street drives there car, Jim(Hillybilly kid) Steve(Kidd Six) Jim S and many many others oh yes and my Super Bee, also my Challenger has a ring and bearing slam motor in it that was done in 1995 with 20,000 street miles and over 2000 dragstrip passes on it, still has the orignal cam it was assembled with in 95!!! My Sixteen year old son just ran it at the High School Nats on goodyear polyglass tires went a best of 12.49 eleven years after that motor was put together! Dont think duribilty is an issue. Many Many people use this cam as a six pack resto cam in trailer queen restos, aloha resto has used them in the past in customers cars.

Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!!!!!!!
Paul M Petcou

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Beeware] #32587
12/23/06 09:17 PM
12/23/06 09:17 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Paul , FYI switching to a solid in FAST is allowed even if the engine did not originally have one .

ok , back to the

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Beeware] #32588
12/23/06 09:45 PM
12/23/06 09:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Paul.......Good points.........

On a paint daub resto, those guys typically aren't interested in performace anyway.......so a stock replacement, Bob K's, or even a mild hydraulic cam is fine.....but, if you want performance, and you're not racing Pure Stock, you typically rebuild your motor with Ross or Diamond or Keith Black pistons.......They typically have pockets deep enough to accept .750 lift........so why would you limit yourself to .450 lift? If your heads flow 230CFM at .400 or even .500 lift, then why not have more lift to allow that much flow for a longer period of time?

BTW, Stockers sure get a lot of duration in their cams.......but it takes angle milling the heads to get the P/V clearance needed....

Solids are legal in FAST..... Have you heard Sandbagger's car idle? The valve train noise is barely noticeable.......and contrary to what most people think, solids aren't a maintenance nightmare, as long as you have a nice valve job........Look at slant 6's and Cummins motors.........

No, I don't think it's a big deal to make those cars run 12's on bias tires, on a properly prepped track.......10 years ago I was going 13.0's @ 105 with a low compressoin el cheopo rebuild A12 automatic Bee, stock converter, and stock replacement cam on a typical Tulsa prepped track, which isn't too impressive.......

The only time I raced it here, Chris's car went 12.20's @ 112 spinning on a set of wore out drag radials........it's a stock motor with the exception of J&E pistons and a small custom ground solid cam......It has not had years and years of fine tuning......no tricky stuff......not even a jet change........Chris's car ran 13.0's @ 106 at Lebanon at a FAST race (I'd built the car before I'd ever heard of FAST).......that was the first time I'd driven that car on bias tires......I'd just bolted them on the day before leaving to go there.......I was bumbed that the MPH wasn't where I expected it to be.......I was hoping to be running low 12's/high 11's @ 115MPH.......(I'm not one to do a lot of work on my cars at the track. I believe in working on them at home, and then going to the track to see what happens)......I knew there was more MPH in it, so when I got home, I uncapped the exhaust and that's when it ran 112MPH.........Chris's changed the muffs since then......

I don't remember talking to you at the Nat's Are you sure I said something of that nature? Refresh my memory.....When and where did we talk? Did you have a car there that I'd remember? .........I must be getting old....

I haven't posted anything about that cam not being durable.......that was someone else......

Merry Christmas to you too.....

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32589
12/24/06 12:06 AM
12/24/06 12:06 AM
Detroit
Kidsixpack Offline
master
Kidsixpack  Offline
master

Detroit
The cam is awesome on the street! Very subtle and surprises the heck out of the people that I leave behind at the light! I just put one in my R/T and it looks like my 70 383 Bee will be getting one soon enough, and I drive that one a lot.
KIDSIXPACK

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32590
12/24/06 12:25 AM
12/24/06 12:25 AM
West Central Indiana
M
Mr.Runum Offline
Mr.Runum  Offline
M

West Central Indiana
I have been following this post, because I am working on a 69 RR 4-spd post Clone for the pure stock class. The one thing that I think that has failed to be mentioned, and someone correct me (like im sure this won't happen ) if Im wrong, but wasn't one of the big part of the 6bbl "hot" parts not so much the cam specs, but the "Mushroom" lifters? That had to be put in first and held in place with cloths pins? Where the base was larger than the bodies like a bullit casing whick would allow for faster ramping?, Or am I thinking of something else?

69 RoadRunner 383 4spd coupe, 06 Hemi Daytona Charger, 08 6.7 RAM QC short bed 3/4 4X4
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Mr.Runum] #32591
12/24/06 10:30 AM
12/24/06 10:30 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I have been following this post, because I am working on a 69 RR 4-spd post Clone for the pure stock class. The one thing that I think that has failed to be mentioned, and someone correct me (like im sure this won't happen ) if Im wrong, but wasn't one of the big part of the 6bbl "hot" parts not so much the cam specs, but the "Mushroom" lifters? That had to be put in first and held in place with cloths pins? Where the base was larger than the bodies like a bullit casing whick would allow for faster ramping?, Or am I thinking of something else?

you are thinking of something else , 69 6bbl cars didn't use mushroom lifters

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: JohnRR] #32592
12/24/06 11:58 AM
12/24/06 11:58 AM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Difference beween low taper and standard taper.

3159813-camlifter.JPG (282 downloads)
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: 62maxwgn] #32593
12/24/06 01:37 PM
12/24/06 01:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Where'd you find that pic? Is it a Mopar book?

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32594
12/24/06 02:52 PM
12/24/06 02:52 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Waayne,that is from the old 1980 Direct Connection Performance manual.Here is the rest.

Also,for what its worth I am doing a set of carbs supposedly tweaked by Bob K.His modifications are to the letter the same as the recommended modifications in the 1980 manual. Specs attached.

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: 62maxwgn] #32595
12/24/06 03:03 PM
12/24/06 03:03 PM
Phila Pa
S
scatpacktom Offline
master
scatpacktom  Offline
master
S

Phila Pa
That is because he wrote the book

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: scatpacktom] #32596
12/24/06 03:34 PM
12/24/06 03:34 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

That is because he wrote the book

I don't think so!

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: 62maxwgn] #32597
12/24/06 09:56 PM
12/24/06 09:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Waayne,that is from the old 1980 Direct Connection Performance manual.Here is the rest.

Thanks....That is really interesting......I had no idea that that cam used different lifters.......I just assumed that since the cam has less taper, that the lifter just broke into it....... Shows you what I know....

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8