05/26/09 08:28 PM
05/26/09 08:28 PM
JERSEY
RJS Offline
master
RJS  Offline
master

JERSEY
Reread, he didn't swap out your wires just the coil wire...

Re: FIRECORE WIRES and radio noise???????? [Re: RJS] #323987
05/26/09 11:26 PM
05/26/09 11:26 PM
Colorado
D
denfireguy Offline
top fuel
denfireguy  Offline
top fuel
D

Colorado
I cannot believe more of the communications guys on the board have not jumped into this topic.
There are a thousand things that can get ignition noise down to a minimum and some of them actually work. There are two paths: shielding or suppression. Shielding the interference by moving the antenna as already suggested or by bonding the hood to the body of the car with ground straps. This increases the shielding ability of the hood. Make sure the coax on the antenna has not rotted somewhere causing the shield to be broken. Replace it if it is old just because. Another trick is to bond the exhaust pipe in several places to the chassis because it will radiate noise the length of the car. The bonding I have used is the outside braid from communications coax such as 8298, RG 8 or any of the fat braid shielded cables. Amateur radio stores (NOT Radio Shack) have ground straps in stock that will work. They are not cheap.
A lot of the suppression suggestions are good ones. In my experience, resistive systems work best with the resistance distributed through the entire system: coil wire, spark plug wires, plugs.
Capacitors on the coil also help. Both on the positive and one on the negative ends.
If you have an old hand held AM transistor radio, try using it next to your engine and next to someone else's. If the noise is equal, then your antenna is probably bad. If yours is noisy, check for arcing. Look under the hood in the dark while the engine is running and look for sparking or corona.
I know the list is long but the problem is a pain in the rear (Yeah I know it is a family board).
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado
Re: FIRECORE WIRES and radio noise???????? [Re: sunroofgtx] #323988
05/27/09 12:13 AM
05/27/09 12:13 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

swapped out the firecore coil wire to the date codded supression wire and 85% of the noise is gone, i guess the rest of the wires swapped out will fix the noise. too bad the firecores fit nicely.

i guess Rick Gorski from Firecore will be glad when this post dies.

Why would I want it to die ? Chris, glad swapping out the wires worked for you. AM radio is cool. It's what I listen to half the time.Sorry I missed the post, but I've been at the racetrack a lot these days, and we are moving the factory into a new building. Too busy to be online a lot , anymore. I'm sorry the 8mm stock-looking wires don't work for you, Chris. We do have the in a 250 ohm, but thats another story. Good luck with cruizzzing, it really is a great-looking car.

So the 250 ohm would be better for radio playing but would it be noticeably different performance wise on the track or generally?

I want my fair share
Re: FIRECORE WIRES and radio noise???????? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #323989
05/27/09 01:16 PM
05/27/09 01:16 PM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland
Correct. You still get the benifits of a custom, machine-built, low-ohm, and 8mm solid black factory-looking set. We are not in the exact, OEM-looking wire business. We manufacture custom racewires, that look great and work great on automobiles. From Top Fuel to grocery-getters. The 250 will slow the current enough to suppress more EMI/RMI, but not enoiugh to damage any performance characteristics of 95% of the engines out there.

DenFireGuy, thanks for the info. Never thought of some of those things. Great input.

Join the quickest team in motorsports. Team FireCore. CustomWiresets.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2