04/17/23 08:20 PM
04/17/23 08:20 PM
Ont, Canada
gygeneral Offline OP
super stock
gygeneral  Offline OP
super stock

Ont, Canada
I was on Rock Auto, looking for parts for my 2011 Ram, their dropdown list shows my year of Ram as the last year. Does this mean in a year from now they are going to drop 2011?
Its true car companies don't want to stock parts anymore, they rely on aftermarket.

Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: gygeneral] #3138859
04/17/23 08:59 PM
04/17/23 08:59 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Originally Posted by gygeneral
I was on Rock Auto, looking for parts for my 2011 Ram, their dropdown list shows my year of Ram as the last year. Does this mean in a year from now they are going to drop 2011?
Its true car companies don't want to stock parts anymore, they rely on aftermarket.

It's either a conspiracy to prevent the world from servicing old cars and to prevent anyone from making any money on the parts......

...... or....

..... 2011 was the first year for the RAM brand as opposed to the Dodge brand, RAM model.

Take your pick, but the first choice would follow traditional Moparts "Logic".

Personally, I love the access to reproduction parts that I do have, but I figure the day I stop being a parts scrounger is the day I stop being a Mopar guy.
The two go hand in hand and always have. But that's me and I'm nobody.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: PhillyRag] #3138873
04/17/23 09:55 PM
04/17/23 09:55 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by PhillyRag
It would appear that Parts Suppliers, like Car Makers, don't want to be bothered with stocking stuff past 10 years or so.
If it wasn't for the reproduction market these days, really doubt any cars past 20-25 years could be restored.
Use to be able to buy at least used parts for these older cars, but that's even drying up recently.
More people restoring certain cars these days, which would have been parts-cars some years ago.

I still have pretty good luck with Oreilly's locally on hard parts. They are usually in town or a day away. All of the others including Napa, Advance etc down

Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: moparx] #3138874
04/17/23 09:58 PM
04/17/23 09:58 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by moparx
i don't know how it is around you Larry, but the outfit i retired from [it was Rockwell International when i started there in 1973] after 45 years as a master machinist and shift supervisor, is, and has been begging for workers in all positions and shifts for years, and can't get workers.
even after raising starting wages to $15.50 per hour ! it took me 15 years to get to that wage, and when i retired, i was only making $19.90 per hour ! shruggy
my position pays $38.60 per hour now, after the latest company buy out. [eek] i asked my old boss for a company t-shirt, and he told me i don't work there anymore, so i was SOL. mad
beer

your old boss sounds like a roll of cheap but wipe 💩 beer

Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: ZIPPY] #3138890
04/17/23 11:15 PM
04/17/23 11:15 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX
Originally Posted by ZIPPY

It's either a conspiracy to prevent the world from servicing old cars and to prevent anyone from making any money on the parts......

...... or....

..... 2011 was the first year for the RAM brand as opposed to the Dodge brand, RAM model.

laugh2

I laughed way too hard at this comment.

*sigh*

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: moparx] #3138915
04/18/23 08:09 AM
04/18/23 08:09 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
i don't know how it is around you Larry, but the outfit i retired from [it was Rockwell International when i started there in 1973] after 45 years as a master machinist and shift supervisor, is, and has been begging for workers in all positions and shifts for years, and can't get workers.
even after raising starting wages to $15.50 per hour ! it took me 15 years to get to that wage, and when i retired, i was only making $19.90 per hour ! shruggy
my position pays $38.60 per hour now, after the latest company buy out. [eek] i asked my old boss for a company t-shirt, and he told me i don't work there anymore, so i was SOL. mad
beer

Wall Street Journal newspaper had a fairly long article a few days ago about companies that have recently switched to concentrating their hiring on OLDER WORKERS only, because their “work ethic” advantage outweighed their “aches & pains” physical limitations.

Is the best compromise to have
a 65+ age worker
directing a new robot that can lift 2000 lbs with one arm
but whose robot fingers have the dexterity to thread a needle?

Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: 360view] #3138961
04/18/23 11:07 AM
04/18/23 11:07 AM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by 360view
beer

Wall Street Journal newspaper had a fairly long article a few days ago about companies that have recently switched to concentrating their hiring on OLDER WORKERS only, because their “work ethic” advantage outweighed their “aches & pains” physical limitations.

a 65+ age worker
Read this as well. Talked about employers frustration with needy younger workers, and their lack of work ethic, focusing on their phones instead of work, and their overall concern with "me" over everything else while the older worker was ultra reliable, always on time and had far greater work ethic.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: gygeneral] #3138966
04/18/23 11:17 AM
04/18/23 11:17 AM
N.W. Florida
F
Fat_Mike Offline
master
Fat_Mike  Offline
master
F

N.W. Florida

For trucks older than 2011 you have to choose "Dodge" instead of "Ram."

Last edited by Fat_Mike; 04/18/23 03:30 PM.
Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: Fat_Mike] #3138970
04/18/23 11:33 AM
04/18/23 11:33 AM
here.
Remy-Z Offline
master
Remy-Z  Offline
master

here.
Unless you have the most popular versions of whatever vehicle you work on, you're SOL. That's why I'm about to bite the bullet and convert to an E-body HVAC system, Harley-Davidson secondary lights to replace my clouded and scratched marker light lenses, etc. And I'm really hosed if I have to re-do the sending unit in my fuel tank again. At least I can find hard parts (suspension, axles, brakes, engine) easily enough.

Maybe I should've built a Duster instead. rant

Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: Remy-Z] #3139004
04/18/23 01:43 PM
04/18/23 01:43 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
These exact reasons are why I scout ebay, craigslist and sites like this one and even if I don't need it "right now today" if it fits one of my vehicles and especially if it's something I've had to replace on one of my like vehicles in the past or expendable part's like brake, suspension, tune up, and it's a reputable brand from " back then" and it looks like it's in packaging from "back then" I buy it. I have enough old stock niehoff ignition parts for instance to fit /6 and small blocks to last me a lifetime. All the old stock moog I can find that fits my junk, same thing with the stories I hear about their current lineup all the time....
For HVAC parts I look for new but old Murray and 4 seasons stuff.

Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: TJP] #3139013
04/18/23 02:23 PM
04/18/23 02:23 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by TJP
beer

the correct spelling is BUTT wipe. biggrin
beer

Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: larrymopar360] #3139035
04/18/23 03:35 PM
04/18/23 03:35 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Originally Posted by 360view
beer

a 65+ age worker
Read this as well. Talked about employers frustration with needy younger workers, and their lack of work ethic, focusing on their phones instead of work, and their overall concern with "me" over everything else while the older worker was ultra reliable, always on time and had far greater work ethic.

when i was working, the ONLY time i was off was during vacation days, holidays [sometimes not even then !], and in the last couple of years before retirement, the very last day of inventory time when ALL of the paperwork was collected from the inventory and sorted. i still had to deal with the paperwork afterward, but at least i didn't have to climb all over it and the racks it was stored on, to retrieve the paperwork. the other time i unexpectedly took off, was when i contracted pneumonia. i was off for a little over three weeks that time. i probably should have been off more, but as there was no "paid sick days", i had to get back to work to pay the bills.
after one vicious snow storm in which we got several [3+] feet of snow, i mounted up an unmatched but same size [within an inch or so biggrin] set of new 14" [real] winter tires [bias ply at that] i had laying around for years, and installed them on my old '74 newyorker 2dr. i was running as my daily driver at the time. i did, however, leave the skirts off, in case i got REALLY stuck. off to work i went.......[remember, i worked midnight's !]
so on to the interstate i went, 18miles on it, then 3 miles to the parking lot at work. the interstate had been plowed before, but there was still a foot or more of snow on it, and the front bumper was "plowing" as i went, allowing those "real" winter tires to work, with a lot of help from the sure-grip rear with the 2.94 gears. i had to be real easy with the loud pedal, as just the tiniest bit too much, and the old 440 [with a ton of miles on it, but i don't remember just how many] would smoke them, er, break them loose in the snow.........
no traffic at all [no surprise there] and both truck stops [one each east and west bound] i passed were jammed with rigs, including many parked on both sides of the entrance an exit ramps, as well as on the berms leading to and coming from those stops for at least 1/2 mile.
i finally make it to work, on time no less, and early[er as i would normally be as well] ! not being surprised, i see no cars in the unplowed parking lot.
as i had keys to the building, unlocked the doors, fired up the compressor, started the coffee pot [the MOST important job of all ! coffee] and turned on all the equipment and machines to warm up getting ready for the shift's normal run time.
after 20 minutes or so, none of my guys showed and i got no phone call offs, so i started the show without them. that kept me humpin' all night to [at least try to] keep production up so the day shift could work !
my boss showed up about 6:30am, [he is usually here by 5:30-5:45] and as usual, i had HIS coffee on ! thumbs it's BETTER than the big pot i HAVE to get going for the REGULAR day shift guys............
anyway, he asks me what i'm doing there ? my shift was CALLED OFF.
HUH ????????????????? shruggy I DIDN'T GET ANY CALL...............
he said i "should have known better" [???????]..........but thanks [in a kind of underhanded way] for showing up and getting "something" for day shift "to do"......... mad [thanks.......BOSS........ realmad]
well, that ended up as water under the bridge, and after a few company buy-outs, i'm retired, he is still there [i think] and still has a few [10 maybe ?] years to go........... and did i mention my [former] position currently pays $38.60 and i didn't even "receive the shirt" ? flame
beer

Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: moparx] #3139046
04/18/23 04:18 PM
04/18/23 04:18 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by TJP
beer

beer
Oh you and your King's English laugh

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: larrymopar360] #3139063
04/18/23 05:30 PM
04/18/23 05:30 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
HAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!! up panic laugh2
beer

Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: TJP] #3139135
04/18/23 10:24 PM
04/18/23 10:24 PM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by PhillyRag
It would appear that Parts Suppliers, like Car Makers, don't want to be bothered with stocking stuff past 10 years or so.
If it wasn't for the reproduction market these days, really doubt any cars past 20-25 years could be restored.
Use to be able to buy at least used parts for these older cars, but that's even drying up recently.
More people restoring certain cars these days, which would have been parts-cars some years ago.

I still have pretty good luck with Oreilly's locally on hard parts. They are usually in town or a day away. All of the others including Napa, Advance etc down

And where do you think Oreilly's gets those parts to sell??
They don't make them.
When their source(s) are dried up, so will they.
YearOne did the same years ago, when they were selling NOS OEM parts.
But not so much these days.

Last edited by PhillyRag; 04/18/23 10:24 PM.
Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: larrymopar360] #3139139
04/18/23 10:33 PM
04/18/23 10:33 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by TJP
beer

beer

I was afraid it would get censored or I might get another no warning lockout 💩🙄😳

Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: SattyNoCar] #3139188
04/19/23 06:12 AM
04/19/23 06:12 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Originally Posted by Satilite73
Originally Posted by ZIPPY

...... or....

laugh2

I laughed way too hard at this comment.

*sigh*

grin

A memory you might enjoy...I know I enjoyed the look back:

451a.jpg

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: larrymopar360] #3139195
04/19/23 07:33 AM
04/19/23 07:33 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by TJP
beer

beer

Grow up with a Mother who was a substitute English teacher. whistling

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Current State of Restoration Parts [Re: AndyF] #3139491
04/20/23 12:01 PM
04/20/23 12:01 PM
The Grand State of Confusion-O...
SKR8PN Offline
master
SKR8PN  Offline
master

The Grand State of Confusion-O...
Originally Posted by AndyF
I've stopped building project cars because the cost is super high, parts are hard to find and most important, a LOT of reproduction parts are useless garbage.

I just got sick of paying top dollar and waiting for weeks for parts that were total garbage when they showed up. I'd say that roughly 90% of the reproduction stuff made in China is garbage. On my last project I threw a lot of parts straight in the trash rather than even trying to put it on the car.

This right here is why I am buying the nicest car I could find. It was not cheap but it was a LOT cheaper than messing around with another project. I am picking up the car the first week of May, will post pics then.

Karma has no menu. You get served what you deserve.
Page 2 of 2 1 2