N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Originally Posted by A12
What's next, less innings, no 7th inning stretch, no mascots, no hotdog, mustard, ketchup, and onion races?? Man don't the stadiums realize how this is going to cut into BEER sales? Oh and how about the fans have to give the home run and foul balls back and no new baseballs if the baseball gets scuffed from a bad pitch, they have to use the same ball the entire game just like we did as kids laugh2 grin

I suppose you still wear a derby hat, suit and tie to the game like they did back in the day?

Ouch! come on Dave, didn't you read the sarcasm there? I've been to many a professional baseball game since I was a kid. Even got to talk to Roberto Clemente after a game at Forbes Field as he was the on his way home. Walked with him from the field exit to his red Cadilac convertible just the two of us, never forget that. How about this view of the game from season tickets, first base side for Cleveland games. Doesn't get much better. Oh and I should add to my sarcastic post, what are they going to do about rain delays and rain cancelations eating up TV network time, I got it make it so all baseball games are played in inside fields or stadiums. This rain delay with my son and I there ended in early AM and I had to go to work the same morning but CLE won with a come from behind Grand Slam I have a nice video memory of. Okay back to the insults and catfight "((((((((PLAY BALL))))))))"

Oh and I don't mind the length of the game, it gives me a chance to spend a long day with my wife and son, family or just friends, now they're going to take that away too just for giant TV networks airtime. Just wait for the arguments about the "clock". Go to some other sport and screw up decades of history on how the game is played. If you don't like how long the game is going GO HOME or turn the channel. Just record it and run through the parts you don't like just like watching Graveyard Carz laugh2 tonguue

Now where did I leave my derby hat and pocket watch? work wink

Mike

20150829_1941071d.jpg20150829_201756.jpg20150829_193938.jpg
Re: Changes to MLB [Re: A12] #3128532
03/11/23 06:14 PM
03/11/23 06:14 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
This never gets old:

I was going to post another photo of A&C but it has the old Cleveland team name big and bold above the jumbotron and I would have had to blur it out........yeah that part of the game was changed too "for the better" rolleyes rolleyes

20150829_201856.jpg
Re: Changes to MLB [Re: larrymopar360] #3128539
03/11/23 06:43 PM
03/11/23 06:43 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by larrymopar360
I know some of you don't care. I've dropped all professional sports except Baseball. For those who still watch MLB, I'm wondering what you think of the bigger changes to MLB this season. I'm not a fan of the larger bases, but I love the pitch clock! 15 seconds with no runners on, 20 seconds with runner/runners on. I'm not sure yet how I feel about the restriction on pitchers of only two pick-off throws to a bag per hitter. Another one I really like is the hitter can only step out twice per ab. This along with the pitch clock have changed the game, finally!!! Now the pitchers can't meander around the mound, rubbing the ball, playing with the rosin bag, adjusting their hats, while the world waits for them. And the hitters can't keep stepping out to adjust their batting gloves after every single pitch!!!.

I've recorder several Tigers games that were replayed in the middle of the night and it was amazing how I did not feel the need to hit the FF button any time except for commercials!!! This was long overdue IMO!!!

Another side benefit that had not occurred to me until it was actually implemented is that some of these broadcasters that drag onnnnn with their tangents can't now lol.

What are the penalties for these new rules like the 15/20 second delay of game clock........-5 yards like football? wink or is it an automatic "ball" call? This will be interesting.

Re: Changes to MLB [Re: HotRodDave] #3128575
03/11/23 08:34 PM
03/11/23 08:34 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline OP
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
I like the pitch timer, the only thing it has removed is 30 minutes of dudes scratching their hoo hoos... if you want to watch that there are other places you can go to watch that without inturupting my baseball game ever 30 seconds. This is really just a tweek to an existing rule that has been taken way too much advantage of in the last 30 years, the players asked for it. The only thing I wish they would do different is to shut off the clock with 2 outs in the 9th inning, other than that this was way over due.

Making bigger bases is stupid, what are they gonna do next to make it "safer" go to hitting off a T so the pitchers don't hurt their arm? I don't think the extra 3 inches is helping anyone steal more bases, just a psychological thing. Besides... scoring more runs is not gonna attract more fans, soccer is the fastest growing sport in America and a "good game" frequently ends tied 0-0, all my young friends on facebook post up how exciting games are when they end up 0-0 so I don't think more offense is gonna help. If someone really needs higher scores to be able to watch the game just count every run as 7 points like they do in football.
As far as bigger bases, they said that is to decrease injuries, especially at 1st base. There are a lot of injuries with the runner going up the line and the throw coming to first baseman, usually from catcher or pitcher and the runner and 1st baseman trying to avoid each other and a collision, or twisted ankles or knees most to runner when he hits the edge of the bag.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Changes to MLB [Re: A12] #3128576
03/11/23 08:35 PM
03/11/23 08:35 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by A12
I know some of you don't care. I've dropped all professional sports except Baseball. For those who still watch MLB, I'm wondering what you think of the bigger changes to MLB this season. I'm not a fan of the larger bases, but I love the pitch clock! 15 seconds with no runners on, 20 seconds with runner/runners on. I'm not sure yet how I feel about the restriction on pitchers of only two pick-off throws to a bag per hitter. Another one I really like is the hitter can only step out twice per ab. This along with the pitch clock have changed the game, finally!!! Now the pitchers can't meander around the mound, rubbing the ball, playing with the rosin bag, adjusting their hats, while the world waits for them. And the hitters can't keep stepping out to adjust their batting gloves after every single pitch!!!.

I've recorder several Tigers games that were replayed in the middle of the night and it was amazing how I did not feel the need to hit the FF button any time except for commercials!!! This was long overdue IMO!!!

Another side benefit that had not occurred to me until it was actually implemented is that some of these broadcasters that drag onnnnn with their tangents can't now lol.

What are the penalties for these new rules like the 15/20 second delay of game clock........-5 yards like football? wink or is it an automatic "ball" call? This will be interesting.
One warning, second is ball on hitter. As far as you not minding the length of the game; when you're talking being at the game in the park, that's different. But 99.9% are not at the park and the complaints are when watching on TV for three hours or more and too large of a percentage is no action. And that's the problem A12, people have been turning the channel. Players created this problem. MLB didn't use to be like this. Pitchers got the ball, stayed on the rubber, and fired their next pitch. Slowly started the meandering around the mound, the adjusting the hat, adjusting the cup, rubbing the ball, circling the mound again. And then the hitter stepping out after every single pitch! The greats of the past didn't do this. That's why the average MLB game time has increased over the past two decades The fans have spoken. MLB is reacting.

Re: Changes to MLB [Re: larrymopar360] #3128579
03/11/23 08:46 PM
03/11/23 08:46 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
In 1968 the average game was 2:27

In 2021 it was 3 hours, 3 minutes

See a problem here?

If a hitter had kept stepping out on a pitcher like Bob Gibson for example, back in 1968, he'd have knocked them on their azz.

Re: Changes to MLB [Re: larrymopar360] #3128620
03/11/23 10:24 PM
03/11/23 10:24 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline
master
mopowers  Offline
master
M

Sac, CA
I'm looking forward to to the pitch clock. I'm also a fan of eliminating the shift and the limitless throws over to first with a runner on.

Are you guys watching any of the WBC?? Columbia - Mexico was a heck of a game earlier today. The American lineup is absolutely loaded this year.

Re: Changes to MLB [Re: larrymopar360] #3128675
03/12/23 06:29 AM
03/12/23 06:29 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Online mad
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Online Mad
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Puttin' on the foil in Charles...

See a problem here?

If a hitter had kept stepping out on a pitcher like Bob Gibson for example, back in 1968, he'd have knocked them on their azz.

My least favorite aspect of baseball. A grown man gets his feelings hurt and responds by standing 60 feet away from the grown man who hurt his feelings and throwing a ball at him, and this is somehow viewed as tough or macho.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Changes to MLB [Re: not_a_charger] #3128690
03/12/23 08:45 AM
03/12/23 08:45 AM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX

Slightly off tangent here, I've always said pay players a teacher's or cop's salary and see who REALLY plays for the 'love of the game', THEN I might be interested.

Anyways, back to topic...........................

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......đŸ˜„
Re: Changes to MLB [Re: mopowers] #3128745
03/12/23 12:50 PM
03/12/23 12:50 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by mopowers
I'm looking forward to to the pitch clock. I'm also a fan of eliminating the shift and the limitless throws over to first with a runner on.

Are you guys watching any of the WBC?? Columbia - Mexico was a heck of a game earlier today. The American lineup is absolutely loaded this year.
Oh yeah, I forgot about eliminating the shift! I'm a big proponent of that too! It had gotten ridiculous with how often it was used! Enough already with the shift.

Re: Changes to MLB [Re: SattyNoCar] #3128746
03/12/23 12:53 PM
03/12/23 12:53 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by Satilite73

Slightly off tangent here, I've always said pay players a teacher's or cop's salary and see who REALLY plays for the 'love of the game', THEN I might be interested.

Anyways, back to topic...........................
The salaries drive me nuts too John but they do have caps on teams and revenue sharing. If a team goes over they pay a fines and the money is distributed to other teams. I don't know what the answer is to lower salaries other than fans going away and that won't happen entirely. The only reason I still watch MLB cannot be mentioned here. It'd have to go in the unmoderated section. But I can say MLB has not gone the way of the NFL which I have completely abandoned.

Re: Changes to MLB [Re: A12] #3136762
04/09/23 04:17 PM
04/09/23 04:17 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by A12
What's next, less innings, no 7th inning stretch, no mascots, no hotdog, mustard, ketchup, and onion races?? Man don't the stadiums realize how this is going to cut into BEER sales? Oh and how about the fans have to give the home run and foul balls back and no new baseballs if the baseball gets scuffed from a bad pitch, they have to use the same ball the entire game just like we did as kids laugh2 grin

The Brewers will now allow alcohol to be sold until the end of the eighth inning, via Adam McCalvy of MLB.com. The MLB standard usually ends alcohol sales after the seventh inning. However, at least on an experimental basis for now, the Brewers have decided to buck the trend.

“This is reflective of the fact that the games are shorter,” Brewers’ President of business operations Rick Schlesinger said. “From a time perspective, we’re probably looking at selling beer for the same amount of time by extending to the eighth inning.”
wink

Re: Changes to MLB [Re: A12] #3136774
04/09/23 06:08 PM
04/09/23 06:08 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
I remember when the push to end alcohol sales in late innings began. I think it was the 90's. A fan came down onto the field and if IIRC punched the first base umpire. That kind of was the last straw after a lot of violence in stadiums involving a-hole drunks.

The games have been so much better and much more like games of the past. None of this standing around the mound adjusting the cap, stepping off the rubber repeatedly. And no more of the hitters re-adjusting batting glove ten times as part of a ritual and walking around outside the box. The game moves now.

Re: Changes to MLB [Re: not_a_charger] #3136775
04/09/23 06:11 PM
04/09/23 06:11 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by not_a_charger

See a problem here?

My least favorite aspect of baseball. A grown man gets his feelings hurt and responds by standing 60 feet away from the grown man who hurt his feelings and throwing a ball at him, and this is somehow viewed as tough or macho.
I get it but remember this started way back before the DH and that pitcher had to step in the box himself, and still does in the National League. Also it was usually a response to something that had happened such as the opposing pitcher hitting or throwing at one of his teammates. Nobody is for head hunters but sending a message around the waist when called for is different. Even an occasional sticking one in their back pocket if their pitcher has been head hunting. Hopefully it is infrequent!

Re: Changes to MLB [Re: larrymopar360] #3136807
04/09/23 07:54 PM
04/09/23 07:54 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA

See a problem here?

I get it but remember this started way back before the DH and that pitcher had to step in the box himself, and still does in the National League. Also it was usually a response to something that had happened such as the opposing pitcher hitting or throwing at one of his teammates. Nobody is for head hunters but sending a message around the waist when called for is different. Even an occasional sticking one in their back pocket if their pitcher has been head hunting. Hopefully it is infrequent!

Yes but the only player on the field that has that power is one player, the pitcher! I think the batter should be allowed to let the bat fly out of his hands back at and over the head of the pitcher once in a while to even things up wink laugh2 (just kidding) grin

Re: Changes to MLB [Re: A12] #3136812
04/09/23 08:14 PM
04/09/23 08:14 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I went to a Cubs game for my birthday last Sunday and have this to say about the new rules. You have to pay attention much more now, things move fast! Also there is no cash at the fields now, all on cards and the vendors come by much less than the used to. I stopped at my buddy's bar across the street before and afterwards and he said that the vendors are not happy as they have less time to sell beer and hot dogs which means less money for them, and all the fru-fru foods available at the concourse have cut into their profits too. I did learn you can still tip them with cash though and they will come back to you more often if you do that... beer

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Changes to MLB [Re: Rhinodart] #3136903
04/10/23 09:39 AM
04/10/23 09:39 AM
Waddell AZ
A
azblackhemi Offline
super stock
azblackhemi  Offline
super stock
A

Waddell AZ
On eliminating the "shift" why can't these professional hitters beat it by going the other way? With the whole let side of the field open a routine groundball to short would be a double or triple. That would eliminate the "shift" really quick.

Re: Changes to MLB [Re: larrymopar360] #3137222
04/11/23 06:23 PM
04/11/23 06:23 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.

See a problem here?

There is a DH in the national league now also. There is only one pitcher left who still gets in the batters box.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Changes to MLB [Re: HotRodDave] #3137344
04/12/23 11:39 AM
04/12/23 11:39 AM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida

See a problem here?

There is a DH in the national league now also. There is only one pitcher left who still gets in the batters box.
I thought they were going to eliminate the DH in AL? I was hoping for that instead. I haven't watched an NL game this year. I'm a Tigers fan and there hasn't been interleague games yet. I guess Otani is the only one stepping in the box.

azblackhemi, I wish most were talented enough to beat the shift a majority of the time but I guess the percentages showed they weren't and it was not enjoyable to the fans. To me stacking infielders on one side was no different than a base runner going way outside the base path to avoid a tag.

Re: Changes to MLB [Re: larrymopar360] #3137719
04/13/23 01:41 PM
04/13/23 01:41 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.

azblackhemi, I wish most were talented enough to beat the shift a majority of the time but I guess the percentages showed they weren't and it was not enjoyable to the fans. To me stacking infielders on one side was no different than a base runner going way outside the base path to avoid a tag. [/quote]

I'm a tigers fan too and it's gonna be a looong summer. I wish too they would have got rid of the DH but they instead dug in and made it worse, even if they don't hit well they need to be in there to keep em honest. Regarding the shift it was far more fun to me watching the third baseman chase a bunted ball way down the line while the batter was racing from home to 2nd or 3rd than a homerun... the bunt double and bloop triple were some of the most fun ever in a baseball game, they should have never eliminated the shift. There has been plenty of interleauge play already (rays spanking Nationals along with tigers and A's, they have literally played the 3 absolute worst teams in all of baseball, heck even boston sucks).

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4