04/03/23 04:51 PM
04/03/23 04:51 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
A neighbor of ours had a Volt and he loved it. To me Hybrids would be more realistic because at least you don't have to worry about running out of juice or the length of your drives and for local driving he was charging it with a normal outlet. Plus he said in the winter it used the gas engine to bring the heat up. But it shows how biast they are against anything that burns fuel when they push so hard for EVs.
Oh, and he was spending a fraction of what just one of my fill ups cost a year on gas so it's not like that was polluting.

Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: 5thAve] #3134838
04/03/23 06:00 PM
04/03/23 06:00 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by 5thAve
A neighbor of ours had a Volt and he loved it. To me Hybrids would be more realistic because at least you don't have to worry about running out of juice or the length of your drives and for local driving he was charging it with a normal outlet. Plus he said in the winter it used the gas engine to bring the heat up. But it shows how biast they are against anything that burns fuel when they push so hard for EVs.
Oh, and he was spending a fraction of what just one of my fill ups cost a year on gas so it's not like that was polluting.

And, how many of the Chevrolet Dolts do you still see on the roads and what are used ones selling for. People avoid used hybrids like the plague.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: oldjonny] #3134849
04/03/23 06:42 PM
04/03/23 06:42 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
I'm wondering where this "real world" place is. Not here.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: Tom_440] #3134881
04/03/23 07:55 PM
04/03/23 07:55 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by Tom_440
Originally Posted by AndyF
I drove a 2014 Leaf for 5 years with no noticeable reduction in battery capability. Dealers were asking more for that car when I sold it than when I bought it. First time I've had a daily driver appreciate in value as I drove it. I traded it in recently for a 2020 Leaf. The 2020 has twice the range and significantly more power as well as a ton of extra features.

You got the good Leaf! I have a 2011 Leaf I bought used about 4 years ago for $3,500. Drove it a lot but down to 8 bars and driving to work and back on a single charge is iffy (Just 32 miles). Useless. With no thermal management that 24KW battery is a dog in the desert. The prior owner replaced the battery in 2017 and its due again. Dealer said they "might" warranty (or not), but also said a new battery in today's market is $15K. No thank-you.

I know the new batteries w/thermal management are much better but.....that thing gets a new batt every 5-6 years. What happens to the old ones? A new one is 15k so it's 5x what you paid for the car? The car ends up in the bone yard cause nobody is going to spend the money to put a battery in it. How is ANY of that scenario good for the planet??

Much like the LEDs I had put in my kitchen. 1 took a dump in a couple years. No replacement parts available, the fixture was discontinued. So instead od throwing away 1 incadescent bulb I had to replace 2 complete fixtures.....the old ones went in the landfill!! Saving the planet!!!

Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: Dcuda69] #3134890
04/03/23 08:12 PM
04/03/23 08:12 PM
st.cloud fl
D
d-150 Offline
Smarter than a 5th grader?
d-150  Offline
Smarter than a 5th grader?
D

st.cloud fl
Of mass produced that lithium will be a major pollutent. I seen some ls1 stuffed into Tesla's on u tube

Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: Tom_440] #3134891
04/03/23 08:14 PM
04/03/23 08:14 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by Tom_440
I drove a 2014 Leaf for 5 years with no noticeable reduction in battery capability. Dealers were asking more for that car when I sold it than when I bought it. First time I've had a daily driver appreciate in value as I drove it. I traded it in recently for a 2020 Leaf. The 2020 has twice the range and significantly more power as well as a ton of extra features.

You got the good Leaf! I have a 2011 Leaf I bought used about 4 years ago for $3,500. Drove it a lot but down to 8 bars and driving to work and back on a single charge is iffy (Just 32 miles). Useless. With no thermal management that 24KW battery is a dog in the desert. The prior owner replaced the battery in 2017 and its due again. Dealer said they "might" warranty (or not), but also said a new battery in today's market is $15K. No thank-you.

Yeah, the Leaf's had big problems with heat. I live in Oregon and kept the car in a garage so it was protected from both heat and cold. I drove my Leaf for 5 years and the battery stayed at 11 bars the whole time I owned it. Range was always right around 70 miles fully charged. The range was too short to leave town, but I could run all my errands in town every day and then charge at night. I dated a gal who lived 15 miles away and it took about 60% charge to drive back and forth to her place so I had to keep the car charged up if I wanted to go see her.

Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: MarkZ] #3134892
04/03/23 08:17 PM
04/03/23 08:17 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by MarkZ

How much of a difference in range do you see between the summer and winter months?

Winter driving can be a problem for EVs since the heater, defroster, lights, seat warmers, etc. all draw down the battery. Really hot weather is also a problem since the AC sucks up a bunch of battery power. I live in NW Oregon and EVs work pretty well here since it is rarely below freezing and rarely hotter than 90 degrees.

Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: AndyF] #3134893
04/03/23 08:21 PM
04/03/23 08:21 PM
st.louis,mo.
dart games Offline
mopar
dart games  Offline
mopar

st.louis,mo.
evs is built for 15 minute citys

Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: 360view] #3134954
04/04/23 05:40 AM
04/04/23 05:40 AM
USA
360view Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer

USA
The “about to retire” Chairman of Toyota gave a speech a few months ago where he said that for at least the next 30 years the world would be better served by hybrid drivetrains than all EV.

Instead it looks like a few Trillion $ will be wasted.

A few weeks ago I finished reading the book “Unsettled” by Steven E Koonin.

He goes out of his way to use plain language to explain complicated technical issues.

Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: 360view] #3134963
04/04/23 07:17 AM
04/04/23 07:17 AM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
After seeing this topic I started thinking about stuff in general and how long it took for the general public to accept/get used to it. Computers would be a good example. Learned along ago that the first electric computer was invented around WWII time period. Yet it realistically took until the 1990s before the public got them in their houses. Airplane travel. Yes, Hitler did it in the early 1930's and it was considered very novel. But the general public in the US didn't really fly until the late 1960's- or early 70's. Phones in cars were indeed available back in the day. They cost an arm and a leg and if in a car, took up the entire trunk with equipment. Really took about 20-25 years to get out in large numbers to the public. Now with EVs there is no reason to think it will be different. They may or may not become the "Thing". If they do, we still need leaps in tech. Computers took buildings intially, phones took complete trunks. Battery tech is still not where it needs to be as going electric with current designs means using more resources than exist. Infrastructure is not really out there. The "Beta" vs "VHS" battle has not happened yet leading to standardization of even charger plugs. Could 2050 be a viable target date? Who knows but when did the gov get to decide the tech and mandate it? In fact, when has the gov actually ever done the right thing or picked the correct winners? That is not the govs job. I know the left wants the gov to make all decisions for the people but amazingly, the market tends to do a much better and more efficient job.

I've heard that with the tech, we basically have made the ICE engine about as efficient as possible. Perhaps. My 09 corolla gets 40mpg and realistically, what does a person want or expect. Personally I'd say that is good enough. I don't see tech coming along doubling that and with current fuel prices, if they did, I'm not sure of what the payoff would be. Is there a "climate change" problem? Who really knows. The climate has always changed. But what there is and will be is a a population problem. Not in the US. But look at where folks live in the world. Google it. Google world population by decade. You will see that(off the top of my head) in the US 1970 we were 220m. 50 years later we have 320m+. Think there was a disaster in Eithiopia in 1980 with a famine? Take a look at their population now. Not feasible for India/China/Africa to have US living standard. This is why the left's Climate change battle is actually not about climate, it is an anti-human campaign. Want to stop man-made climate change? End man on the planet.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: klunick] #3135525
04/05/23 09:56 AM
04/05/23 09:56 AM
here.
Remy-Z Offline
master
Remy-Z  Offline
master

here.
I own a Volt, a 2017. Bought it used with 19,500 on the clock at "I stole it" price, currently just a tick over 50,000. Here's my take on it:

* Summer range: about 60 miles EV only. Winter range: about 48 miles EV only.
* Fuel mileage on "Hold" (engine only): 44 mpg average, with A/C on at typical Interstate speeds
* Issues to date: one set of tires at 45,000 miles, hood and roof painted surfaces are "crazing".
* My 6'3, 290lb backside fits just fine.
* For my everyday use (15 miles to work, 15 miles from work and one extra stop in town), I don't use the engine.
* Longest I've gone without refueling the car is 7 months.

We bought the Volt to replace the prior "economy car" in our fleet, a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 6-spd. That car was a headache and a money suck. So far, besides the tires, the only things I've paid for with the Volt are the tags, the fuel and the car washes.

Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: 360view] #3135533
04/05/23 10:29 AM
04/05/23 10:29 AM
USA
360view Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Wall Street Journal article Wednesday says Stellantis bargaining with Panasonic to build a USA Li battery plant.
Stellantis already has contracts with both LG and Samsung on Li battery plants and purchases.

In the past Tesla and Panasonic were “joined at the hip” on Li batteries, but Tesla is now buying a portion from non-Panasonic suppliers.

Panasonic’s new 4680 Li battery is mentioned, which is 46 mm in diameter and 80 mm high.
Musk has previously praised the potential of this battery.

Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: klunick] #3135549
04/05/23 11:17 AM
04/05/23 11:17 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by klunick
After seeing this topic I started thinking about stuff in general and how long it took for the general public to accept/get used to it. Computers would be a good example. Learned along ago that the first electric computer was invented around WWII time period. Yet it realistically took until the 1990s before the public got them in their houses. Airplane travel. Yes, Hitler did it in the early 1930's and it was considered very novel. But the general public in the US didn't really fly until the late 1960's- or early 70's. Phones in cars were indeed available back in the day. They cost an arm and a leg and if in a car, took up the entire trunk with equipment. Really took about 20-25 years to get out in large numbers to the public. Now with EVs there is no reason to think it will be different. They may or may not become the "Thing". If they do, we still need leaps in tech. Computers took buildings intially, phones took complete trunks. Battery tech is still not where it needs to be as going electric with current designs means using more resources than exist. Infrastructure is not really out there. The "Beta" vs "VHS" battle has not happened yet leading to standardization of even charger plugs. Could 2050 be a viable target date? Who knows but when did the gov get to decide the tech and mandate it? In fact, when has the gov actually ever done the right thing or picked the correct winners? That is not the govs job. I know the left wants the gov to make all decisions for the people but amazingly, the market tends to do a much better and more efficient job.

I've heard that with the tech, we basically have made the ICE engine about as efficient as possible. Perhaps. My 09 corolla gets 40mpg and realistically, what does a person want or expect. Personally I'd say that is good enough. I don't see tech coming along doubling that and with current fuel prices, if they did, I'm not sure of what the payoff would be. Is there a "climate change" problem? Who really knows. The climate has always changed. But what there is and will be is a a population problem. Not in the US. But look at where folks live in the world. Google it. Google world population by decade. You will see that(off the top of my head) in the US 1970 we were 220m. 50 years later we have 320m+. Think there was a disaster in Eithiopia in 1980 with a famine? Take a look at their population now. Not feasible for India/China/Africa to have US living standard. This is why the left's Climate change battle is actually not about climate, it is an anti-human campaign. Want to stop man-made climate change? End man on the planet.

So enjoyable to read a thoughtful post rather than another Kunkel v. Madscientist argument about God (oops) knows what.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: 360view] #3135572
04/05/23 12:16 PM
04/05/23 12:16 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by 360view

Musk is a carnival barker.

How many of his claims have not come to fruition? Either not hitting the time frame he claimed or the technology itself?

Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: Sniper] #3135613
04/05/23 01:48 PM
04/05/23 01:48 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted by Sniper

How many of his claims have not come to fruition? Either not hitting the time frame he claimed or the technology itself?

Tesla, Space X, one of the richest people in the world. That’s one hell of a carnival barker!

Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #3135660
04/05/23 03:25 PM
04/05/23 03:25 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda

Tesla, Space X, one of the richest people in the world. That’s one hell of a carnival barker!

A fool and their money are soon parted.

I, for one, do not understand why anyone believes anything he says, much less invests money in him.

Tesla and SpaceX have repeated missed major milestones yet the money rolls in. Any other company and the stock holder would have fired the CEO long ago. How about that autonomous driving? How's that going private working out for Tesla? How about Dogecoin's valuation?

Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: Sniper] #3135680
04/05/23 04:44 PM
04/05/23 04:44 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda

A fool and their money are soon parted.

I, for one, do not understand why anyone believes anything he says, much less invests money in him.

Tesla and SpaceX have repeated missed major milestones yet the money rolls in. Any other company and the stock holder would have fired the CEO long ago. How about that autonomous driving? How's that going private working out for Tesla? How about Dogecoin's valuation?

Have you ever failed? Do you have the wherewithall to keep failing upwards? More power to Musk, he will fail righteously a few more times, then look out! boogie

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: Rhinodart] #3135684
04/05/23 04:56 PM
04/05/23 04:56 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Rhinodart

Have you ever failed? Do you have the wherewithall to keep failing upwards? More power to Musk, he will fail righteously a few more times, then look out! boogie

Not a carnival barker so I have no ability to con suckers into spending more money on my failure.

Re: Survey of EV “realworld” battery lifetimes [Re: Sniper] #3135737
04/05/23 07:33 PM
04/05/23 07:33 PM
Nor here, Nor there
D
Dart 500 Offline
super stock
Dart 500  Offline
super stock
D

Nor here, Nor there
They just showed the Ram REV, said 500 mile range plus a extender model as well (gas engine as a generator)
650hp/650TQ

https://www.motor1.com/news/660742/2025-ram-1500-rev-range-and-specs/

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4