03/30/23 10:31 AM
03/30/23 10:31 AM
California
biggE Offline
top fuel
biggE  Offline
top fuel

California
I was told by my insurance agent that Allstate and Geico have stopped writing policies in California and are basically looking to get out of the state. Not surprising to me

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: biggE] #3133621
03/30/23 12:37 PM
03/30/23 12:37 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Originally Posted by biggE
I was told by my insurance agent that Allstate and Geico have stopped writing policies in California and are basically looking to get out of the state. Not surprising to me

Between health, car and home insurance how will mortals be able to afford to survive. It's getting BRUTAL out here.

And do we all "chip in" with increased insurance costs when these costal areas get mowed down every year? I'm asking.

Also when I worked for "the man", I would be in places between Dallas and Atlanta. THOSE PLACES are mowed down nearly every month with tornados now. WTH? It's like the new Oklahoma. How do we all all pay a fortune in insurance to keep putting towns together that were torn down two years prior? Like New Orleans, some places werent meant to be inhabited. Some places should not be covered by the rest of us. Also here in DETROIT area, we pay like $200 or $300 PER CAR for uninsured drivers!?!?! The mayor of Detroit said 60% of the people have no car insurance. My son in law, a police officer, said its higher than that!!!!

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: 71TA] #3133625
03/30/23 12:45 PM
03/30/23 12:45 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline OP
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline OP

MI car insurance is high because of uncapped PIP coverage and their very unusual no-fault laws.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: not_a_charger] #3133663
03/30/23 02:55 PM
03/30/23 02:55 PM
Unfortunately back in New York
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

I just got dropped. Son rolled an 18 RDX and he backed into someone and took off. He 'allegedly' didn't know what happened. So the insurance company dropped us. I hope they're not expecting to be paid. Why should I pay if I have to go shopping for it. They can also s a d if they think I'm going to keep their homeowners insurance.

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: Nukechargerboy] #3133665
03/30/23 03:00 PM
03/30/23 03:00 PM
not_a_charger Offline OP

How old is your son, and how long have you been with that insurance company?

DBAP
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: not_a_charger] #3133671
03/30/23 03:31 PM
03/30/23 03:31 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
MI car insurance is high because of uncapped PIP coverage and their very unusual no-fault laws.

You aint telling me anythiung new! I pay like $8000 on 4 vehicles!!!!!!!!!!! We're 61, 61 and 23.
21 Ram 1500
21 Blazer
21 Ranger
17 Ram 2500

These aren't Ferraris or Rovers!

Over $1000 of that is paying for "uninsured motorists". And an uninsured motorist can actually sue YOU if you get in an accident with one of them. Is that nuts or what? This state really is a DISASTER. Did I mention the vast majority of the people in Detroit (and probably every other bigger city in MI) aren't insured. How is that even possible!?!?! I guess laws are only for law abiding people.

Right across the border in Ohio, 60 miles away, insurance is HALF what MI pays.

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: not_a_charger] #3133673
03/30/23 03:43 PM
03/30/23 03:43 PM
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

How old is your son, and how long have you been with that insurance company?

He's 19. We were with them at least 5 years. They forget they charged me to have a Lexus on there for a year while I was in Arkansas on USAA.

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: Nukechargerboy] #3133686
03/30/23 04:37 PM
03/30/23 04:37 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Geico is owned by one of the wealthiest people in the world. They never would offer me anything less than a metric ton more than other carriers. work I suppose that guy didn’t get all that money by offering cheap rates.

I want my fair share
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: 71TA] #3133818
03/31/23 08:58 AM
03/31/23 08:58 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline
master
MI_Custumz  Offline
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Originally Posted by 71TA

You aint telling me anythiung new! I pay like $8000 on 4 vehicles!!!!!!!!!!! We're 61, 61 and 23.
21 Ram 1500
21 Blazer
21 Ranger
17 Ram 2500

These aren't Ferraris or Rovers!

Over $1000 of that is paying for "uninsured motorists". And an uninsured motorist can actually sue YOU if you get in an accident with one of them. Is that nuts or what? This state really is a DISASTER. Did I mention the vast majority of the people in Detroit (and probably every other bigger city in MI) aren't insured. How is that even possible!?!?! I guess laws are only for law abiding people.

Right across the border in Ohio, 60 miles away, insurance is HALF what MI pays.

I personally think if you get hit by someone without insurance, they should be 100% at fault and be able to be sued for driving illegally. If you hit someone without insurance, you should just pay as if it's not your fault because they shouldn't have been on the road. People driving without insurance are one reason why the rates are higher.

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: MI_Custumz] #3133880
03/31/23 12:16 PM
03/31/23 12:16 PM
not_a_charger Offline OP

Most people who are uninsured are not collectible. Suing them is fruitless, and suspending their license rarely works because if they don't care about being uninsured, they don't care about whether or not they have a license either. We see it all of the time.

I get the sentiment about an uninsured person being automatically at fault, but it can't be that way. If I'm stopped at a red light, and someone hits me from behind, they are at fault and should be held responsible for damages/injuries. If I'm uninsured, then I should be penalized as the law allows, but I should not be left holding the bag if it wasn't my fault. The "shouldn't have been on the road argument" is an emotional argument, though very understandable. I feel that way in my gut about impaired drivers, but I know it's not feasible. The same argument could be also made regarding distracted drivers, unlicensed drivers, and other scenarios. The problem with that approach is that it lets someone who broke the law by being at fault in an accident avoid responsibility for that. I rear-end you, I broke a traffic law. I shouldn't be off the hook just because you broke a different law that did not impact the facts of loss.

We hear similar complaints when a customer causes an accident while drunk, or texting, or driving recklessly. "You shouldn't insure people like that. Shame on you!" Well, the alternative is that they don't have insurance, which means the person complaining would really be screwed.

DBAP
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: not_a_charger] #3133896
03/31/23 01:02 PM
03/31/23 01:02 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
bringing up distracted drivers..........
it seems the auto makers are trying their best to cause this by the ever increasing screen size of the "infotainment" system that requires a bunch of screen touching to work almost every accessory. shruggy
and of course there are all of the "apps" your phone "needs" [?]..........
beer

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: moparx] #3134121
04/01/23 09:47 AM
04/01/23 09:47 AM
Minneapolis, MN
H
hemi70se Offline
top fuel
hemi70se  Offline
top fuel
H

Minneapolis, MN
My question would be... Do insurance companies tempt you to switch to them with a low initial rate only to start a year or so later sneaking it up to where they want it at? I kind of expect rate increases these last couple of years since new cars/trucks prices have really jumped and repairing one after a collision has jumped also.

Not-a-charger: Many thanks for taking the time to school us on the insurance industry that is your expertise!

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: hemi70se] #3134332
04/02/23 06:00 AM
04/02/23 06:00 AM
not_a_charger Offline OP

Do insurance companies tempt you to switch to them with a low initial rate only to start a year or so later sneaking it up to where they want it at?

No, because if they accurately assessed the risk when they earned your business, they want you to stay with them as long as possible. It costs a lot of money to acquire new customers. The best customer an insurance company can have is a good existing customer. Retaining those customers is the top priority.

DBAP
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: not_a_charger] #3134403
04/02/23 10:49 AM
04/02/23 10:49 AM
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

Do insurance companies tempt you to switch to them with a low initial rate only to start a year or so later sneaking it up to where they want it at?

No, because if they accurately assessed the risk when they earned your business, they want you to stay with them as long as possible. It costs a lot of money to acquire new customers. The best customer an insurance company can have is a good existing customer. Retaining those customers is the top priority.

I don't think that's entirely true. Since Hanover decided to dump us they told me I won't be getting a discount for homeowners insurance. I'm shopping it around now. My brother's in the business so he looks for the best rate for us. If I have to go to USAA, so be it. I would like him to get the commission but if I have to move on he understands. Insurance is a big scam anyway. I have paid out of pocket having teenager bumps and bruises because generally nobody wants to get screwed by the insurance companies. I have $1000 deductibles and it's just not worth the aggravation or penance you pay for a mistake.

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: Nukechargerboy] #3134405
04/02/23 10:53 AM
04/02/23 10:53 AM
not_a_charger Offline OP

It is 100% true. Retention of good customers is king. It's emphasized every day across the company. Your insurer canceled your auto insurance because of you son's driving record. They don't care about keeping your homeowner's insurance because that's not much of a money maker for them.

DBAP
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: not_a_charger] #3134409
04/02/23 11:07 AM
04/02/23 11:07 AM
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

It is 100% true. Retention of good customers is king. It's emphasized every day across the company. Your insurer canceled your auto insurance because of you son's driving record. They don't care about keeping your homeowner's insurance because that's not much of a money maker for them.

So paying right around $7000 a year for their coverage for over 5 years wasn't enough? Insurance is a scam. It's when they have to pay out where they put you on assigned risk and screw you. Wreck a car, now we want your balls. SCAM! Plus they didn't care they were charging me for a car that was covered elsewhere.

Last edited by Nukechargerboy; 04/02/23 11:10 AM.
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: Nukechargerboy] #3134414
04/02/23 11:33 AM
04/02/23 11:33 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Nukechargerboy

So paying right around $7000 a year for their coverage for over 5 years wasn't enough? Insurance is a scam. It's when they have to pay out where they put you on assigned risk and screw you. Wreck a car, now we want your balls. SCAM! Plus they didn't care they were charging me for a car that was covered elsewhere.

Then self insure

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: Sniper] #3134417
04/02/23 11:40 AM
04/02/23 11:40 AM
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by Nukechargerboy

Then self insure

I don't have that kind of money laying around. If I had millions I definitley wouldn't be in The Peoples Republic of New York.

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: not_a_charger] #3134628
04/02/23 11:56 PM
04/02/23 11:56 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't

Teaser rates are mentioned enough online and in person to me that I don’t think you can say it never happens. I’ve also been told by by more than one agent that they “can beat that rate” when they clearly cannot and do not. So I don’t think anybody can say for certain something is a given.

I want my fair share
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3134650
04/03/23 07:08 AM
04/03/23 07:08 AM
not_a_charger Offline OP

It is 100% true that they want to retain their good customers, and they don't do that by wildly increasing rates on those customers. I'm not saying that rates won't go up for any specific customer, but if an insurer earns your business, has your risk priced accurately, and you're a good customer, they want you to stay. By "good customer," I mean someone who pays their bill on time, has at minimum home and auto and preferably something else like boat/RV/motorcycle/etc, doesn't have a terrible driving record, doesn't leave a path of destruction in their wake. A ticket here, a fender bender there, and they're typically not doing a whole lot with your rate if you meet this description.

DBAP
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4