Western Md.
skicker Offline
"The Champ"
skicker  Offline
"The Champ"

Western Md.
Originally Posted by 71TA
Originally Posted by moparmarks
Sounds like a good time for self employment.

I agree!!! Eff working for the man.

Ditto... up

You'll soon find out if you are the problem or not...

...FAFO...
Re: Looking for a new job (again) [Re: skicker] #3134043
03/31/23 09:01 PM
03/31/23 09:01 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
The reason I became self employed was because I was a lousy employee with a bad attitude.

Ran my own business for 30 years. Didn't much like that boss either, but at least he couldn't fire me! whistling The customers were a different story, telling them how you really feel sometimes isn't the best idea, but you can't let them walk all over you either. Its a balancing act. Dealing with people is always a challenge. Unless banking is your business, don't owe the customer (rob Peter to pay Paul) and don't extend credit to the customer. Contrary to what some will tell you, you don't have to do that to have a business.

Self employment is very hard the first 3-5 years. It takes time to figure out you can't spend every dime that comes in the door. One week you might make a fortune, but the next 3 weeks you might not make a penny total! If you don't have an understanding on how to manage money, self employment will be a bigger challenge. It often gives you much more understanding as to why all those bosses ran their businesses the way they did.

Self employment is the biggest challenge you will ever face, but it carries some of the best rewards.

Re: Looking for a new job (again) [Re: poorboy] #3134045
03/31/23 09:09 PM
03/31/23 09:09 PM
Arlington, Texas
B
bobby66 Offline
master
bobby66  Offline
master
B

Arlington, Texas
Originally Posted by poorboy
The reason I became self employed was because I was a lousy employee with a bad attitude.

Ran my own business for 30 years. Didn't much like that boss either, but at least he couldn't fire me! whistling The customers were a different story, telling them how you really feel sometimes isn't the best idea, but you can't let them walk all over you either. Its a balancing act. Dealing with people is always a challenge. Unless banking is your business, don't owe the customer (rob Peter to pay Paul) and don't extend credit to the customer. Contrary to what some will tell you, you don't have to do that to have a business.

Self employment is very hard the first 3-5 years. It takes time to figure out you can't spend every dime that comes in the door. One week you might make a fortune, but the next 3 weeks you might not make a penny total! If you don't have an understanding on how to manage money, self employment will be a bigger challenge. It often gives you much more understanding as to why all those bosses ran their businesses the way they did.

Self employment is the biggest challenge you will ever face, but it carries some of the best rewards.

Honesty. Hard to come by these days. Good luck! up

Re: Looking for a new job (again) [Re: not_a_charger] #3186153
10/24/23 11:53 AM
10/24/23 11:53 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Originally Posted by GY3
Walk away from the insurance industry!

I've done everything from owning my own agency to selling aircraft insurance.

At the end of the day none of them want to pay you what you are worth and don't like the idea of paying renewal commissions long term.

I took a completely different path after selling my agency when a friend asked me to come and help out with an HVAC distribution business.

I'm an employee owner and, honestly, I couldn't be happier! It's funny how there are a lot people at my job that were also in the insurance business and left for the same reasons.

It's hard to hit the reset button on employment the older you get. Hang in there!

Selling insurance as an agent is a tough gig, no doubt.

An UNDERTSATEMENT and more so in the current conditions. twocents
Sorry to hear frown In the meantime chin up and when a door closes, a window opens. I've always responded that window can be damn hard to find in a dark room but it's always there, one just has to find it I'll be back in later with more commentary wink beer

Last edited by TJP; 10/24/23 11:59 AM.
Re: Looking for a new job (again) [Re: 11secdart] #3186367
10/25/23 10:49 AM
10/25/23 10:49 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by 11secdart
I agree with some of Stantons comments at my last job I worked there for almost ten years but never really got along with the couple that owned the company mainly due to work ethic , they chose to focus on the slackers thinking they were the greatest employees on earth when in reality they were getting over on the company every day. I worked my butt off doing three different jobs , while they hid all day , at 65 years old at the time I out worked guys there half my age , was never late for work or called in sick. No matter how much I did from doubling their packaging output in my first year to spending 16 hours some days behind the wheel delivering their product it was never good enough . They claim I had an attitude : yes I do .. I expect my co workers to work as hard as I do I know thats not reality but thats how I felt. Three years ago I was called in the office and was told " we are afraid you are going to get covid so we are laying you off " ( I never got covid ) in my case it was sort of a forced retirement as I was going to turn 66 in another month and had received my first social security check a few weeks before my lay off. Financially I was better off not working and I now have a part time job I really enjoy and I am appreciated . I probably should have filed an age discrimination law suit against the company but with the whole pandemic I didn't know my legal recourse. I am still upset with myself for giving so much effort and ten years of my life to such unappreciative idiots and its been three years since I was laid off

They figured out your age was going to cost them on insurance calculations so they looked out for themselves on that deal.

I want my fair share
Page 2 of 2 1 2