03/28/23 01:11 PM
03/28/23 01:11 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
First thing I tell people that ask about starting a business is save yourself the headache and find a CPA. My sister-in-law is a nanny for a CPA. He said he wouldn't be the right fit for me since he deals with comanies over $50M. He said most CPA's work in "brackets" for lack of a better term. He recommended one in the $1-5M "bracket" WHO HAS BEEN GREAT. They do my bookeeping monthy. Have access to my bank account and business credit card so they download and sort everything. Just ask a couple "what was that purchase?" occasionally. Probably spend less than $5000 with them and WELL WORTH IT. The first "accountant" gal I dealt with for 5 years was WAY over her head. She should have refused my business. She was only capable of filling our simple personal income tax stuff. Not setting up S corps and telling me to put cash on hand in CD's and money markets. My accountant actually helped me MAKE $XX,XXX extra per year.

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Originally Posted by poorboy
When I closed my shop in 2018, my accountant told me I needed to keep pretty much everything concerning taxes for 7 years, the IRS can come back on you for that long and you need to keep the records to cover your butt incase of an audit

For the record, I thought when I closed my little shop was all done, my tax stuff regarding the business was also done. But 2 years later, stuff connected to the shop was still turning up that still effected my income. It was with that filing for the 3rd year things involved with my shop was actually finished.

Now, if I could just get Google, and those people offering to file for Covid employee kick back for my business, to quit calling me (neither of which I had anything to do with), life would be good

I never officially had a business in the brick and mortar building, but just found out today my retired accountant never even filed my transport business as an actual business with the IRS! eek My new accountant told me that today, and when I gave him the paperwork for my sold building he about had an attack. Seems I now owe the State of Illinoise $4k and the Feds $3800 for the privilege of owning that building... mad

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Re: Closing down my business [Re: cudaman1969] #3133018
03/28/23 02:10 PM
03/28/23 02:10 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Throwing away paperwork and need to know how many years back of tax papers do I keep? What a choir, dad started in 65, partners since 85, outright owned since 93. A lot of memories going in the dumpster, very hard. Next thing is to sell the materials and machinery. Might have to take to scrap yard.

Great topic as I am in the process of winding things down myself. Will likely keep it going on a part time basis but at 69 YO I'm done with the major resto's beer

Re: Closing down my business [Re: Rhinodart] #3133158
03/28/23 11:33 PM
03/28/23 11:33 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
When I closed my shop in 2018, my accountant told me I needed to keep pretty much everything concerning taxes for 7 years, the IRS can come back on you for that long and you need to keep the records to cover your butt incase of an audit

For the record, I thought when I closed my little shop was all done, my tax stuff regarding the business was also done. But 2 years later, stuff connected to the shop was still turning up that still effected my income. It was with that filing for the 3rd year things involved with my shop was actually finished.

Now, if I could just get Google, and those people offering to file for Covid employee kick back for my business, to quit calling me (neither of which I had anything to do with), life would be good

I never officially had a business in the brick and mortar building, but just found out today my retired accountant never even filed my transport business as an actual business with the IRS! eek My new accountant told me that today, and when I gave him the paperwork for my sold building he about had an attack. Seems I now owe the State of Illinoise $4k and the Feds $3800 for the privilege of owning that building... mad

Accountant # 3 & just pay the taxes for the building buy/sell? Back taxes on the "supposed transport business" could be a real problem! I'd be suing that retired accountant, what exactly were you paying him for?

I 'm guessing that if that was all it cost you for the false tax documents your last accountant filed in your name, you are pretty lucky! Unfortunately, I foresee an audit in your future, hope you still have all those old records!

Re: Closing down my business [Re: cudaman1969] #3133237
03/29/23 10:54 AM
03/29/23 10:54 AM
Virginia
V
varunner Offline
mopar
varunner  Offline
mopar
V

Virginia
Good luck in retirement Mike. Is selling your business an option ? I finished building a house for my son last summer. Kitchen cabinets and countertops were a pain. I wish that there were more cabinet contractors in the area. At least you should have more time for the duster when the dust settles on your retirement.

Re: Closing down my business [Re: varunner] #3133343
03/29/23 02:47 PM
03/29/23 02:47 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline OP
master
cudaman1969  Offline OP
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by varunner
Good luck in retirement Mike. Is selling your business an option ? I finished building a house for my son last summer. Kitchen cabinets and countertops were a pain. I wish that there were more cabinet contractors in the area. At least you should have more time for the duster when the dust settles on your retirement.

I tried selling the whole shebang even the box van for $40 grand, even the contacts. I hand them the key and walk away. 3 guys said they couldn’t afford it. I wanted to move it all to my house shop but it’s becoming a major deal by myself and the will is almost gone. I’ve become accustomed to being able to make stuff for the house if needed so I’d like some equipment at home but what do I take (I want it all lol) I’ve filled two 40 yard dumpsters so far with junk and can’t see the end yet, 55 years of junk (I’ll use it one day stuff) most of the machines is above the happy homeowner wants so no takers. I put the materials on FB, not a peep. So here I sit trying to get up to throw more away. A match is tempting.

Re: Closing down my business [Re: cudaman1969] #3133465
03/29/23 08:01 PM
03/29/23 08:01 PM
Virginia
V
varunner Offline
mopar
varunner  Offline
mopar
V

Virginia
Tough situation. Have you thought about bringing in an auction company that has experience with what you have ?

Re: Closing down my business [Re: varunner] #3133936
03/31/23 02:44 PM
03/31/23 02:44 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline OP
master
cudaman1969  Offline OP
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by varunner
Tough situation. Have you thought about bringing in an auction company that has experience with what you have ?

Yes a little

Re: Closing down my business [Re: cudaman1969] #3133978
03/31/23 04:28 PM
03/31/23 04:28 PM
N.W. Florida
F
Fat_Mike Offline
master
Fat_Mike  Offline
master
F

N.W. Florida
Advertise as a yard sale?

Re: Closing down my business [Re: Fat_Mike] #3144636
05/15/23 01:44 AM
05/15/23 01:44 AM
USA
J
JenniferLin Offline
JenniferLin  Offline
J

USA
Sorry to hear about your business closing down, dude. It's never easy to let go of something you've worked on for so long. As for your tax papers, it's generally recommended to keep them for at least seven years. That should cover you in case of any audits or legal stuff. Yeah, I know it's a pain to deal with paperwork, but it's better to be safe, ya know?
Selling the materials and machinery sounds like a solid plan. You could check out scrap yards in your area to see if they're interested. It might be a hassle, but hey, every little bit helps, right? If you're looking to promote the sale, you could consider using a guest posting service. They can help you get the word out and reach a wider audience.

Last edited by JenniferLin; 05/17/23 10:51 PM.
Re: Closing down my business [Re: JenniferLin] #3144691
05/15/23 10:38 AM
05/15/23 10:38 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Did you try and list the equipment here? work

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Closing down my business [Re: 71TA] #3144699
05/15/23 10:49 AM
05/15/23 10:49 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Online content
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Online Content
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by 71TA
First thing I tell people that ask about starting a business is save yourself the headache and find a CPA. My sister-in-law is a nanny for a CPA. He said he wouldn't be the right fit for me since he deals with comanies over $50M. He said most CPA's work in "brackets" for lack of a better term. He recommended one in the $1-5M "bracket" WHO HAS BEEN GREAT. They do my bookeeping monthy. Have access to my bank account and business credit card so they download and sort everything. Just ask a couple "what was that purchase?" occasionally. Probably spend less than $5000 with them and WELL WORTH IT. The first "accountant" gal I dealt with for 5 years was WAY over her head. She should have refused my business. She was only capable of filling our simple personal income tax stuff. Not setting up S corps and telling me to put cash on hand in CD's and money markets. My accountant actually helped me MAKE $XX,XXX extra per year.

This. I have a cpa in the family and they really do specialize in certain things. Some only do simple stuff that you could do without a cpa, like 1040ez. Some do small businesses. Some do large. Spme do oil and gas. Some file things whatever way you want so you don’t owe anything(illegal when you get caught and we know of one that for sure does this).

I want my fair share
Page 2 of 2 1 2