03/25/23 08:11 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline OP
master
That AMC Guy  Offline OP
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by lilcuda

My question is, why didn’t you do the work yourself and save the headache?

#1 I don't have a lift.
#2 I don't have a welder
#3 I'm a very poor welder even if one were provided to me.

In regards to the brakes:

#1 I don't have the tool to cut swedges
#2 I don't have a drill press to be able to cleanly drill out the old studs
#3 I figure since it was at the shop to get some welding done.... why not?

And this has been the crux of my existence. I have the skill to do all the mechanical stuff, but I lack the tools necessary to do so. I wish I were rich enough to afford all this stuff and maybe that's why I'm thinking about staying where I am. Sure, it's minimum wage, BUT the boss has said he'd consider giving me Saturday's off to attend car show stuff AND the staff discount we get is cost +10%. That's on both auto parts AND tools, be they Makita, Jet, Milwaukee, etc.

I'm actually still eyeing a full-size, 2.5 ton floor jack that'll only set me back about $300. And a drill press my cost is only $500. So, there's perks to staying where I am.

I think I've made my decision. Like some of you have said, there's always gonna be "that guy" and sometimes working somewhere where it's calm and quiet is worth a lot more than having to deal with an idiot at work all day for more money. Funny how a lot of us here think alike. I too had labelled this guy with the "Chevy" mentality.

Last edited by That AMC Guy; 03/25/23 08:14 PM.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: Ever have one of those experiences.... [Re: That AMC Guy] #3132324
03/25/23 09:24 PM
03/25/23 09:24 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Let's see, been doing this for "50 years". Means he's pushing 70...

We've all heard the stories from those who don't have a clue, but usually they aren't aggressive like this guy...

Re: Ever have one of those experiences.... [Re: Jim_Lusk] #3132330
03/25/23 10:06 PM
03/25/23 10:06 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline OP
master
That AMC Guy  Offline OP
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
Let's see, been doing this for "50 years". Means he's pushing 70...

We've all heard the stories from those who don't have a clue, but usually they aren't aggressive like this guy...

Honestly, I don't think he's a lot older than me. He might be in his 50's. He's just an arrogant pr*ck.

Re: Ever have one of those experiences.... [Re: larrymopar360] #3132345
03/25/23 11:01 PM
03/25/23 11:01 PM
Central Pa
M
moparjim79 Offline
pro stock
moparjim79  Offline
pro stock
M

Central Pa
Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Originally Posted by moparjim79
Just my humble point of view here- I've had side and full time positions in automotive and industrial type settings. There is almost always at least one of these at every one of those places. Sometimes, you do learn something from them, just like you did. Its a power thing. He approached you not knowing you from boo and started spouting off random generic car trivia to assert his position of command, you challenged it, he got his pampers in a twist. Typically a very effective way of dealing with these individuals is letting them speak, and do not respond or react in any way. This will be a silent psychological cue to them you don't give a ---- and they will get the clue. If this job and this establishment has perks that outweigh the negatives, id say what do you have to lose? Give it a shot, you may be surprised how much you two have in common. Or, as stated in a previous post, you could find yourself plotting to find ways for his lift to fail catastrophically while he's under it.

Short side story- Worked with, I think, the same dude as in your post at a small shop. He sees what I'm driving and looks at my shirt and growls out "Mopar, huh? I am so sorry you've been lied to all your life. BWAH HA HA HA!" My first response was " Hmm. Yeah. I should have got a Kia Sephia from the 90s or a early 2000 Hyundai elantra like you, because their just better on gas? Sorry man, I'm just an old gear head who wants to drive stuff I love". He got a little butt hurt because the statement was made in front of co workers that found it humorous. He later makes a half arsed attempt to find some common ground with me since he sees I can do more than oil changes and tire rotations. He blurts out, " I almost ordered a T A Challenger brand new when I was graduating high school. It was spec'd out with a 426 wedge, a pistol grip automatic, and the heavy duty 9" rear". I made the mistake of not following my own advice and asked, " what year did you graduate?" He replied "1975". We didn't speak much afterwards...
It was a Cordoba lol. I'm so tired of all the chevy sheep that have to immediately make anti-Mopar comments. All they know is following the herd. And to prove they are morons they can't ignore your shirt, they have to say something dumb.

You're right IMO, it's a power thing and something gone awry in childhood. "Must lower other people's self esteem because I can't raise mine" kind of thought process. Also explains the chevy love. A need to belong with a herd.

So, this brought to mind another story of mine. A very well known photographer in Carlisle whose name I won't mention, let's just say, B.H.
B.H. was known for senior pictures and my mother caught wind of this and let me know it was going to be a thing. I let her know immediately it was only going to be a thing if my car was in these pictures. She agreed without hesitation. The moment I pulled up in my charger at a park only a few blocks from the fairgrounds,, B.H. started to fire off the mopars suck cannon at me and my mother. He was so unprofessional and just an ass pirate. After the session, he packs up his gear and says to me, "Thats a really nice car. If I wouldn't be accused of being a redneck in this area, I'd buy it from you right now." I simply said, "not for sale dude." And drove home. Had the car for all of 18 years before I sold it. The pictures are still on my parents wall.

Re: Ever have one of those experiences.... [Re: That AMC Guy] #3132354
03/25/23 11:58 PM
03/25/23 11:58 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by That AMC Guy
Originally Posted by lilcuda

My question is, why didn’t you do the work yourself and save the headache?

I think I've made my decision. Like some of you have said, there's always gonna be "that guy" and sometimes working somewhere where it's calm and quiet is worth a lot more than having to deal with an idiot at work all day for more money. Funny how a lot of us here think alike. I too had labelled this guy with the "Chevy" mentality.

I believe that in 10 years your going to look back at this decision and consider it to be one of those "I'm sure happy I made that decision." events.

I have discovered as time passes that when ever I have to make a choice concerning my future, and something triggers a red flag, I need to stop and figure out why the red flag appeared. Most often that red flag was a warning shot that whatever triggered it wasn't going to be in my best interest.

Re: Ever have one of those experiences.... [Re: ruderunner] #3132360
03/26/23 01:54 AM
03/26/23 01:54 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by ruderunner
Been doing it for 50 years but can't tell a Corvair from a Pinto from a Gremlin.

Meet that type all the time. I just nod and walk away because you can't teach someone who knows everything.

If you're serious about working there, tell them to call you when he's gone.

Yeap: Some people just "Like To Hear Themselves Speak".
Doesn't mean you have to "Listen".
And the louder they speak, the more they're 'convinced', they are Correct.
But they usually just 'Sound Off' their stupidity.

Re: Ever have one of those experiences.... [Re: poorboy] #3132516
03/26/23 07:51 PM
03/26/23 07:51 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline OP
master
That AMC Guy  Offline OP
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by poorboy

I believe that in 10 years your going to look back at this decision and consider it to be one of those "I'm sure happy I made that decision." events.

I have discovered as time passes that when ever I have to make a choice concerning my future, and something triggers a red flag, I need to stop and figure out why the red flag appeared. Most often that red flag was a warning shot that whatever triggered it wasn't going to be in my best interest.

Amen, buddy. When the Universe speaks, you listen. It's just funny too how this all played out. Thursday, I was given the phone number of the owner to contact for a job. Thursday night I procrastinated. This incident went down Friday morning. argue

I tried phoning the owner last night (Saturday), wound up leaving a message and have still not heard back. So, pretty sure everything is done.

And the stupid thing is???? I went to the place today, popped off my wheels, threw on a 1/4" set of spacers, threw the tires back on and drove the car home. Wheels didn't fall off.... I didn't die.... dogs didn't marry any cats.... the sky didn't fall.

They did apparently misplace all the trim screws for the plastic trim they removed from the back of the car, and lost one of the very special bolts for the back window but.... whatever. I'm done. I don't want to work there and I'm not taking any of my toys there ever again. There's another place just outside town that is *VERY* Old-Car friendly and I think they'll be getting my money from now on.

Re: Ever have one of those experiences.... [Re: That AMC Guy] #3132524
03/26/23 08:19 PM
03/26/23 08:19 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Yep, as much as I hate to say it, sometimes things we don't like happen for a reason we can't grasp at the time. Often times that reason we didn't understand at the time, saved our butts at some later point.

Re: Ever have one of those experiences.... [Re: poorboy] #3132621
03/27/23 08:38 AM
03/27/23 08:38 AM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
I try not to judge an entire business (especially one I've dealt with for years) on one bad experience with one employee (especially a relatively new one).

Every place I've ever worked, and every business I've ever frequented has one or more people that are hard to deal with.

It's just a question of how "bad" are they and how many of them are there.

In the post-covid tight labor market some businesses are having to employ people they might not normally employ because they need the bodies and don't have many options to choose from.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Page 2 of 2 1 2