03/24/23 05:05 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline OP
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Read through to the end:
https://www.streetmusclemag.com/news/what-i-learned-today-with-jeff-smith-holley-carb-o-ring-care/

Does Ethanol get blamed for the deterioration that may actually be the BTEX additives ?
Can't say - I don't seem to suffer the effects of 10-15% Ethanol that I hear about.
I do use Viton generally where applicable & available.

Re: Ethanol vs BTEX [Re: topside] #3131974
03/24/23 05:49 PM
03/24/23 05:49 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Ethanol is corrosive. Fuel system materials, rubbers, etc, are damaged by this trash. Fuel mileage is decreased due to fewer BTU/gallon. And food prices are increased because of the corn being used

It is death to older equipment and stuff using carburetors. Often jetting needs to be increased to offset the leaner mixture.

It's usefulness is bullsh!t fed to a low information public by those who benefit from it's use.

https://www.reuters.com/business/en...te-than-gasoline-study-finds-2022-02-14/

U.S. corn-based ethanol worse for the climate than gasoline, study finds

Corn-based ethanol, which for years has been mixed in huge quantities into gasoline sold at U.S. pumps, is likely a much bigger contributor to global warming than straight gasoline, according to a study published Monday.

The study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, contradicts previous research commissioned by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) showing ethanol and other biofuels to be relatively green.

President Joe Biden's administration is reviewing policies on biofuels as part of a broader effort to decarbonize the U.S. economy by 2050 to fight climate change.

“Corn ethanol is not a climate-friendly fuel,” said Dr. Tyler Lark, assistant scientist at University of Wisconsin-Madison Center for Sustainability and the Global Environment and lead author of the study.

The research, which was funded in part by the National Wildlife Federation and U.S. Department of Energy, found that ethanol is likely at least 24% more carbon-intensive than gasoline due to emissions resulting from land use changes to grow corn, along with processing and combustion.

Geoff Cooper, president and CEO of the Renewable Fuels Association, the ethanol trade lobby, called the study "completely fictional and erroneous," arguing the authors used "worst-case assumptions [and] cherry-picked data."

Last edited by CMcAllister; 03/24/23 05:52 PM.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Ethanol vs BTEX [Re: CMcAllister] #3131978
03/24/23 05:59 PM
03/24/23 05:59 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline OP
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Oh, I'm hip to the corrosive nature: I used to crew a Sprint Car. Drain & flush everything soon as we got home.
Ethanol or methanol, both pretty nasty stuff where vehicles are concerned.
I'm also quite aware of the geo-monetary-political clusterf**k we've been thrown into.
Just thought the article was intriguing and worthy of discussion and/or insight.

Re: Ethanol vs BTEX [Re: topside] #3131985
03/24/23 06:07 PM
03/24/23 06:07 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Originally Posted by topside
Read through to the end:
https://www.streetmusclemag.com/news/what-i-learned-today-with-jeff-smith-holley-carb-o-ring-care/

Does Ethanol get blamed for the deterioration that may actually be the BTEX additives ?

BTEX short for
benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene

makes sense that special O-rings last longer

Re: Ethanol vs BTEX [Re: 360view] #3132007
03/24/23 07:49 PM
03/24/23 07:49 PM
PA
moparacer Offline
master
moparacer  Offline
master

PA
Originally Posted by 360view
Read through to the end:

BTEX short for
benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene

makes sense that special O-rings last longer

Which one makes it smell like old stale fox pi$$?

I run it in my Berrycuduh and that is my only complaint. The smell. puke

Last edited by moparacer; 03/24/23 07:54 PM.

67 Barracuda street/bracket car 11.27-119
68 Dart 502 BB 8.70s-152
414 cid SB Dragster 7.65-174
Re: Ethanol vs BTEX [Re: topside] #3132049
03/24/23 11:43 PM
03/24/23 11:43 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Oh, I'm hip to the corrosive nature: I used to crew a Sprint Car. Drain & flush everything soon as we got home.
Ethanol or methanol, both pretty nasty stuff where vehicles are concerned.
I'm also quite aware of the geo-monetary-political clusterf**k we've been thrown into.
Just thought the article was intriguing and worthy of discussion and/or insight.

Holley internal gaskets and seals don't like to be left to dry out. We dealt with that back in the day. The old "make the vent tubes look like a water fountain" trick.

O rings were bad. I knew guys who would store them in cans of gas.

Easy check is drop the needle and seat in the hole. It should have to be pushed in and have some resistance with the o ring. If it falls in easily, it needs to be replaced.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Ethanol vs BTEX [Re: CMcAllister] #3132206
03/25/23 03:12 PM
03/25/23 03:12 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
this will sound stupid [and i have been accused of being stupid many times, so flame away laugh2] but has anyone tried a green colored o-ring like is used in ac systems, and if so, how long did it last ?
any time i use o-rings, i apply a TINY amount of "o-ring grease" i have in a tube. it makes them easier to assemble in the mating part.
i think it is made by Parker, who makes o-rings.
just the "stoopid old man question of the day"............. i'm not involved in any where near the experience you fellows have with fuel systems, so i'm just trying to learn a little before i croak....... grin
beer