San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline OP
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline OP

San Jose,CA
Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
Originally Posted by migsBIG
Still waiting on some doner vin tags to send in for comparison for tooling. The guy doing it wants to make them correct and I don't believe you need paperwork or broadcast sheet copy to make a vin tag, so it would be an easy restoration process for those without anything. Win/Win for everyone.

Donor VIN tags?

Mere possession of a loose VIN tag is a Felony inside the USA.

California (that is where you are?) also has state laws against it.

If you send 'donor' VIN tags across state lines & across a border into another country, the felonies just add up to help prosecute you.

You want to 'help' a counterfeiter? At that point you become an accomplice to his crimes.

I do not know you personally, so I'll ask - are you so ignorant of the VIN laws that apply in this scenario that you are actually stupid? shruggy

You seem to be trying very hard to establish a criminal record, so I had to ask. twocents

You must get your info from MSNBC for all your fake news.

Selling vin tags in not illegal as everybody in every state sells new and used tags on eBay and other sites. If buying tags was illegal win vin numbers on then, why did you buy 40+ fender tags off my eBay page a few years ago? Wouldn’t that be just as illegal? Dude, I know you mean well and good, but it jump to conclusions was an Olympic even, you would get gold, silver and bronze.

I have talked to California DMV, State Highway Patrol, County sheriff department and local law enforcement over the years and they all said that you can affix a replacment/restored tag as long as you do not alter the tag and numbers on said vehicle.

If your going to question the laws in California, then look up vehicle code 10750 VC vehicle code “it doesn't prohibit the restoration by an owner of the original vehicle identification number when authorized or prevent the manufacturer from placing business numbers on new motor vehicles or parts”.

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3125065
02/27/23 04:39 PM
02/27/23 04:39 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Fender tag isn’t a vin tag, not even same discussion.

You’ll need a license from Chrysler to repop their trademark on a part. Good luck with that on this.

Here’s what is the deal. Guy A will make them without a trademark. Guy B will add the logo and both will claim they didn’t know this was wrong or what the other guy was intending to do with it when the vin is illegally swapped onto a donor chassis. Guy B will say it was sold to me, so it must’ve been legal, don’t look at me.

That violates federal law that has been posted on this forum before, to which said counterfeiters didn’t like so they continue to bend this around to make themselves feel better about contributing to more faked cars. Just like cheating on your taxes, it’s not illegal until you get caught. Any sort of authority figure can be snowed by saying something along the lines of “I’m just restoring my car,” when that’s not really the game here. Leaving out the part about “restoring by changing the car that is under the vin tag” doesn’t mean you just got told what you wanted to hear.

I want my fair share
Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3125074
02/27/23 05:09 PM
02/27/23 05:09 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Fender tag isn’t a vin tag, not even same discussion.

You’ll need a license from Chrysler to repop their trademark on a part. Good luck with that on this.

Here’s what is the deal. Guy A will make them without a trademark. Guy B will add the logo and both will claim they didn’t know this was wrong or what the other guy was intending to do with it when the vin is illegally swapped onto a donor chassis. Guy B will say it was sold to me, so it must’ve been legal, don’t look at me.

That violates federal law that has been posted on this forum before, to which said counterfeiters didn’t like so they continue to bend this around to make themselves feel better about contributing to more faked cars. Just like cheating on your taxes, it’s not illegal until you get caught. Any sort of authority figure can be snowed by saying something along the lines of “I’m just restoring my car,” when that’s not really the game here. Leaving out the part about “restoring by changing the car that is under the vin tag” doesn’t mean you just got told what you wanted to hear.

Sooner or later these kinds of posts always degenerate to this. That OBVIOUSLY everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, who ever wanted a replacement VIN tag is doing it for some nefarious reason. This discussion will never be resolved. Everyone reads the actual law to suit their motives and that's where it usually ends.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: 6PakBee] #3125122
02/27/23 09:17 PM
02/27/23 09:17 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline OP
migsBIG  Offline OP

San Jose,CA
I find it weird that everybody that says it was illegal have never posted a source or link to why said tags are illegal. On the other hand, I have talked with multiple law enforcement members, lawyer and a government representative and all have said the opposite. So who am I to believe, the people that make and enforce the laws or the people just randomly posting on a forum? All I’m trying to do is find a proper restoration part for a project. People thinking everything illegal because they heard a store about someone who bought a car at one point is going on absurd. Fine, you guys win. I give up. I’m telling (redacted) they can’t get a proper restoration replacement tag made. I can’t find vin tag samples to use anyway and I just don’t want to be involved in this any longer as I’m not getting payed for my work. I just wanted to contribute something to the hobby for people who wanted a nice touch to their cars. I’m out. F all this noise. Sorry for those that wanted something nice, but these guys say you can’t have it. Remember who ruined it for you.

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3125142
02/27/23 10:28 PM
02/27/23 10:28 PM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
I find it weird that everybody that says it was illegal have never posted a source or link to why said tags are illegal. On the other hand, I have talked with multiple law enforcement members, lawyer and a government representative and all have said the opposite. So who am I to believe, the people that make and enforce the laws or the people just randomly posting on a forum? All I’m trying to do is find a proper restoration part for a project. People thinking everything illegal because they heard a store about someone who bought a car at one point is going on absurd. Fine, you guys win. I give up. I’m telling (redacted) they can’t get a proper restoration replacement tag made. I can’t find vin tag samples to use anyway and I just don’t want to be involved in this any longer as I’m not getting payed for my work. I just wanted to contribute something to the hobby for people who wanted a nice touch to their cars. I’m out. F all this noise. Sorry for those that wanted something nice, but these guys say you can’t have it. Remember who ruined it for you.

Interesting. So if only <1% of repro tags are ever used illegally, the ONLY solution would be to make it illegal to make them.
So the <1% hurts the 99%.
Likewise: if only 1 of the many firearms one makes (legally), gets used illegally, then make it illegal to make firearms.
There are too many laws being used, or generated, that are being used this way in society.
Punish the innocent masses because of a few miscretes.

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3126263
03/03/23 08:59 PM
03/03/23 08:59 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline

Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
UPDATE: I am in contact with a company that is looking to reproduce the mopar vin tags from 1968 to 1980's models and doing it legally. need to get a bunch of vin tag samples sent to them so they can refine the tooling. Cost should be affordable to the buyer as well. Will keep you all in the loop as I get more info over the next few weeks/months.

Questions;

Name of the company? It is a US based company and has been doing data tags for awhile. When they have a finished product I will post their info here.

Name of the Federal agency they are dealing with? Not my company, so I don't know.

Does Chrysler know some outfit is planning to do this? Chrysler has no representation on this.

Is Chrysler Corporation granting this outfit a license? Chrysler has no legal jurisdiction on this product.

If so, who is the contact person at Chrysler Corporation?

I think the point that person was trying to make is that unless it's a blank plate with the number stamped on in someone is selling a product with Chrysler//Stellantis's trademark logos on it so they would have some legal jurisdiction over it.

The whole vin tag thing is a grey area. The law talks about being illegal to remove it but what about cases like this when it's attached to a dash that's being restored or replaced, or the vehicles where it's attached to the drivers door and the door needs to be replaced. Doing a quick search online it seems like for newer cars car manufacturers provide a service that you can get a replacement vin tag from them, some of the forms to request it are even on the nhtsa website.

One thing that comes to play is with a replacement there's always going to be people out there to criticize it and rightly so. If you're looking at buying a car and one has a vin that's never been touched and another one has been replaced or looks questionable you know what car has a higher chance of getting picked.

I also ran across this website which has vin tags and the various other labels. Which might be a handy source for restoration purposes.

https://www.alumaphoto-plateco.com/products/vin-tag-replacement/vin-tags.html

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: 5thAve] #3127177
03/07/23 08:59 AM
03/07/23 08:59 AM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline OP
migsBIG  Offline OP

San Jose,CA

The whole vin tag thing is a grey area. The law talks about being illegal to remove it but what about cases like this when it's attached to a dash that's being restored or replaced, or the vehicles where it's attached to the drivers door and the door needs to be replaced. Doing a quick search online it seems like for newer cars car manufacturers provide a service that you can get a replacement vin tag from them, some of the forms to request it are even on the nhtsa website.

One thing that comes to play is with a replacement there's always going to be people out there to criticize it and rightly so. If you're looking at buying a car and one has a vin that's never been touched and another one has been replaced or looks questionable you know what car has a higher chance of getting picked.

I also ran across this website which has vin tags and the various other labels. Which might be a handy source for restoration purposes.

[/quote]

They only do sticker version. Posted on their site main page: "NOTE: WE WILL NOT REPLICATE ANY ID TAGS OR PLATES FOR LATE MODEL VEHICLES AS ALL THE INFORMATION WILL BE SENT TO LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES. NOTE: WE DO NOT DO ANY "STAMPING" OR "EMBOSSING", ONLY PERMANENTLY PRINTED COPY".

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3127289
03/07/23 02:24 PM
03/07/23 02:24 PM
5thAve Offline
5thAve  Offline

They only do sticker version. Posted on their site main page: "NOTE: WE WILL NOT REPLICATE ANY ID TAGS OR PLATES FOR LATE MODEL VEHICLES AS ALL THE INFORMATION WILL BE SENT TO LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES. NOTE: WE DO NOT DO ANY "STAMPING" OR "EMBOSSING", ONLY PERMANENTLY PRINTED COPY". [/quote]

It says they don't do LATE MODEL vehicles. There's pics and info all over their site for muscle car era and earlier metal tags

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3127405
03/07/23 10:14 PM
03/07/23 10:14 PM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
The whole vin tag thing is a grey area. The law talks about being illegal to remove it but what about cases like this when it's attached to a dash that's being restored or replaced, or the vehicles where it's attached to the drivers door and the door needs to be replaced

Then according to some folks here: all those folks who've replaced a door or dash pads are GUILTY of breaking the law.
It's really just a matter of "The INTENT of the law, rather then the WORDING of the law.
To many focus entirely on the WORDS alone.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4