Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Oh good, even safer gas cans [Re: moparx] #3120173
02/09/23 09:28 AM
02/09/23 09:28 AM
Kansas
65fury Offline
65fury  Offline

Kansas
All the farm and home stores around here sell a 5 gallon jug called a “U jug” which I guess means universal. It states right on it “not for fuel” but it’s awful convenient they sell them in red, yellow, and blue.....
Personally I prefer the translucent/white one so I can see how much is left in it at a glance, since I don’t currently have multiple types of fuel laying around. They kind of resemble the 5 gal race fuel jugs but not as robust. Works fine. Dads been using one for years

Last edited by 65fury; 02/09/23 09:31 AM.
Re: Oh good, even safer gas cans [Re: 65fury] #3120240
02/09/23 01:59 PM
02/09/23 01:59 PM
Candler,NC / Myrtle Beach, SC
J
JDMopar Offline
master
JDMopar  Offline
master
J

I've used rubber valve stems to make vents with. All you have to do is remove the valve core from the stem, drill a half inch hole in the appropriate place for a vent on the jug, run a wire thru the hole you just drilled thru the jug and out the fill opening. Attach the rubber valve stem by running the wire thru it so the threaded end the cap screws onto comes thru the new hole first, pull it thru the jug and pop it in place just like you would on a wheel. When you need the vent, take the cap off. I have bought the replacement pour nozzles from Tractor Supply and they work well. I fixed my yellow 5 gallon diesel jug, plus my two 5 gallon red jugs for jet ski gas this way, and they work great. All 3 of those jugs came with the F'd up nozzles and no vents.

Re: Oh good, even safer gas cans [Re: JDMopar] #3120261
02/09/23 02:51 PM
02/09/23 02:51 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by JDMopar
I've used rubber valve stems to make vents with. All you have to do is remove the valve core from the stem, drill a half inch hole in the appropriate place for a vent on the jug, run a wire thru the hole you just drilled thru the jug and out the fill opening. Attach the rubber valve stem by running the wire thru it so the threaded end the cap screws onto comes thru the new hole first, pull it thru the jug and pop it in place just like you would on a wheel. When you need the vent, take the cap off. I have bought the replacement pour nozzles from Tractor Supply and they work well. I fixed my yellow 5 gallon diesel jug, plus my two 5 gallon red jugs for jet ski gas this way, and they work great. All 3 of those jugs came with the F'd up nozzles and no vents.

the EXACT method i used to install my valve stem vents ! up
the only difference was i drilled mine to 7/16" because my stem diameters were that size. i used a step drill to insure the hole was round, and the drill didn't catch on the can during break through, boogering up the hole.
beer

Re: Oh good, even safer gas cans [Re: moparx] #3120264
02/09/23 02:59 PM
02/09/23 02:59 PM
J
JDMopar Offline
master
JDMopar  Offline
master
J

Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by JDMopar

the EXACT method i used to install my valve stem vents ! up
the only difference was i drilled mine to 7/16" because my stem diameters were that size. i used a step drill to insure the hole was round, and the drill didn't catch on the can during break through, boogering up the hole.
beer

Yep....when I drill the hole, I use a butterfly bit that is intended for wood. Works like a champ, and the step bit sounds like a great solution too. I'm not that hi tech yet cause I'm old and set in my ways...lol. no

Re: Oh good, even safer gas cans [Re: wjb123] #3121000
02/12/23 08:04 PM
02/12/23 08:04 PM
delivering your oil
nutso suave Offline
I Live Here
nutso suave  Offline
I Live Here

delivering your oil
I have one of those new cans…it’s easy to use and uses the weight of the can to open the fill valve, with a built in vent. Easy to use. The earlier ones were a pain in the butt but these seem like an improvement over my old cans (which I still have).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3