02/04/23 05:35 PM
K
KOS Offline
pro stock
KOS  Offline
pro stock
K

Originally Posted by Mike@440Source
Hello everyone. This is my first post here, so I thought I'd post something as an icebreaker since I spend my days on the phone helping others. I get a few questions now and then from those who are looking at the Stealth heads and wonder if they can be ported to Max Wedge. I grabbed an old MW ported casting and rough-CC'd an intake port, doing the same for the current CNC offering. CC's are rough since I didn't have my plexiglass here at work.
MW = 270ish, just in case someone wants to run a MW-sized non-raised runner head. I didn't think I'd be one of those guys, but here we are...mostly because what I'm building needs to look "correct".

Standard port Stealths are 255ish as advertised; you'll have to port them to MW if you wish to go this route vs buying TF270's or a set of Indy's.

Mike

what do they pickup in flow?

Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: KOS] #3119703
02/07/23 06:12 PM
02/07/23 06:12 PM
Carson City
Mike@440Source Offline OP
Mike@440Source  Offline OP

Carson City
Originally Posted by KOS
Hello everyone. This is my first post here, so I thought I'd post something as an icebreaker since I spend my days on the phone helping others. I get a few questions now and then from those who are looking at the Stealth heads and wonder if they can be ported to Max Wedge. I grabbed an old MW ported casting and rough-CC'd an intake port, doing the same for the current CNC offering. CC's are rough since I didn't have my plexiglass here at work.
MW = 270ish, just in case someone wants to run a MW-sized non-raised runner head. I didn't think I'd be one of those guys, but here we are...mostly because what I'm building needs to look "correct".

Standard port Stealths are 255ish as advertised; you'll have to port them to MW if you wish to go this route vs buying TF270's or a set of Indy's.

Mike

Depends on who is doing the MW port work and the flow bench being used, assuming it's being used correctly.

Mike

Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: Mike@440Source] #3119860
02/08/23 08:40 AM
02/08/23 08:40 AM
Yes
S
sixpakdodge Offline
master
sixpakdodge  Offline
master
S

Yes
Originally Posted by KOS

Mike

Depends on who is doing the MW port work and the flow bench being used, assuming it's being used correctly.

Mike

We're well aware of those variances...so I interpret your response as meaning "Not enough, but you can do it if you want".

Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: sixpakdodge] #3119916
02/08/23 12:32 PM
02/08/23 12:32 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Just as with original max wedges, I'm sure the narrowing and rather severe port window angle is no doubt better than a standard port.....but is still limited by the lack of the raised roof and floor and the limited cross section due to the standard spring pocket and rocker arm geometry. This makes the transition to the bowl a pinch point.....but I suppose the MW logically increases the intake plenum volume and "charge" filling (or pushing through) the hole.

I always wondered where the crossover point between a low port Max wedge and say a raised standard window port like a TF 240 really shows up for a typical 550-650HP 500" combo.

It's a case where dry flow on a bench might show similar flow numbers....but in reality we know the suspended fuel doesn't 'turn' as easily as the air.

The stealth heads still look to be a great bargain, particularly when OEM sleeper appearance is a priority. 255 is a pretty decent port cc especially compared to a 906/452 port

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: Streetwize] #3120005
02/08/23 03:30 PM
02/08/23 03:30 PM
Pattison Texas
CSK Offline
master
CSK  Offline
master

Pattison Texas
Originally Posted by Streetwize
Just as with original max wedges, I'm sure the narrowing and rather severe port window angle is no doubt better than a standard port.....but is still limited by the lack of the raised roof and floor and the limited cross section due to the standard spring pocket and rocker arm geometry. This makes the transition to the bowl a pinch point.....but I suppose the MW logically increases the intake plenum volume and "charge" filling (or pushing through) the hole.

I always wondered where the crossover point between a low port Max wedge and say a raised standard window port like a TF 240 really shows up for a typical 550-650HP 500" combo.

It's a case where dry flow on a bench might show similar flow numbers....but in reality we know the suspended fuel doesn't 'turn' as easily as the air.

The stealth heads still look to be a great bargain, particularly when OEM sleeper appearance is a priority. 255 is a pretty decent port cc especially compared to a 906/452 port

I agree ^^^^ I have the Super Stealths they dont sell them anymore on my 512 street car, they use .650 offset intake rockers I made them Max w size no pinch , my old junk runs pretty good for what it is, it makes more power than I thought it would, very surprised for a non raised port head

1968 Charger COLD A/C Hilborn EFI
512ci 9.7 compression, Stealth heads, 4.10 gear A518 ODtrans 4100lb,10.93 full street car trim
2020 T/A 392 Stock 11.79 @ 114.5

Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: sixpakdodge] #3120048
02/08/23 07:16 PM
02/08/23 07:16 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Originally Posted by sixpakdodge
Originally Posted by KOS

Mike

Mike

We're well aware of those variances...so I interpret your response as meaning "Not enough, but you can do it if you want".

FWIW, Had MCH port my Eddys to their typical oversized "std." port. Then had them CNC port them to MW size. Then had them put in 2.19s. Kept testing along the way. I was kinda surprised how little they improved, and the 2.19s were worth about half of the total improvements

Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: BSB67] #3120196
02/09/23 11:24 AM
02/09/23 11:24 AM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
My .02 is.........
With small port heads, like a steath or Ede Head......... the main reason one would bring them out to MW size would be to facilitate the use of a MW sized manifold.
Not so much for the perceived big increase in flow from the head itself.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: fast68plymouth] #3120200
02/09/23 11:44 AM
02/09/23 11:44 AM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Yeah, that's kind how I see it too, especially on a big cube motor there's probably more power potential from taking advantage of the larger plenum manifolds available than from the port opening itself.

The larger plenum and manifold runners would likely help the torque peak hang on a little longer in the powerband with no real downside at all.

The indy EZ is kind of the opposite of what scenario of we're talking about here in that it takes a raised port larger runner MW and necks it down in the head in order to fit a standard 906 B/RB manifold.

Back when that Head was introduced there were very few MW manifolds available.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: Streetwize] #3120340
02/09/23 07:39 PM
02/09/23 07:39 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I had two sets of Indy heads with Max Wedge ports, CNC 440-1 and a set of Max Wedge SR heads, there was 50 HP differences on my old pump gas Duster motor on the same dyno the same day.
There was 65 HP difference on the 526 C.I. race motor with higher compression and race gas shruggy Both sets of heads were either 75.0 or 76.0 CC, CRS realcrazy No other changes, same cam, same compression ratio, same intake and carb. same ignition and timing. More air and fuel makes more power. up

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: Streetwize] #3120483
02/10/23 03:35 PM
02/10/23 03:35 PM
Kalispell Mt.
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
Happy Birthday HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here

Kalispell Mt.

I honestly don't know why anyone would bother with a standard port, they are barely higher performance than a comparable SB head. A 906 barely outflows an X head, raw stealth barely out performs a raw eddy SBM head. Something with 440 CID deserves a MW size port even in a very mild application. If it don't make good TQ something else is wrong beside the port volume. Heck a 392 genIII hemi has bigger ports and they make plenty of TQ in grocery getters.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: HotRodDave] #3120496
02/10/23 04:20 PM
02/10/23 04:20 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Our Stealth Street Car 543 is done....With 440Source heads opened up to MW ports...

[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/Vxss_Z43BLQ?feature=share[/video]

Last edited by Dragula; 02/10/23 04:21 PM.

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: HotRodDave] #3120504
02/10/23 05:06 PM
02/10/23 05:06 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by HotRodDave

I honestly don't know why anyone would bother with a standard port, they are barely higher performance than a comparable SB head. A 906 barely outflows an X head, raw stealth barely out performs a raw eddy SBM head. Something with 440 CID deserves a MW size port even in a very mild application. If it don't make good TQ something else is wrong beside the port volume. Heck a 392 genIII hemi has bigger ports and they make plenty of TQ in grocery getters.

Standard port heads are good for 700+ hp with a good head like the Trick Flow. So nothing to sneeze at. They work just fine for stock block stroker motors.

Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: AndyF] #3120540
02/10/23 07:32 PM
02/10/23 07:32 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Originally Posted by AndyF

Standard port heads are good for 700+ hp with a good head like the Trick Flow. So nothing to sneeze at. They work just fine for stock block stroker motors.

My ported Stealths work great with a little spray. 600 hp with a mild combo on the street is lots of fun and we regularly had the 250 nitrous jets in last year at the track. 300 tune in currently. I'm sure I'm creeping up on the limits of this stock block so standard port heads work fine for what I'm doing.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: GY3] #3120542
02/10/23 07:36 PM
02/10/23 07:36 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Yes you are.

I tell customers that std port heads are fine for stock blocks, good MW heads like CNC ported Indy heads or TF 270 heads should be paired with an aftermarket block. Customers hate to hear that advice since aftermarket blocks suck for Mopar guys. But anything over 700 or 750 hp starts to rattle the main caps and starts the process of cracking the main webs. It is just a matter of time before the block cracks. Might last a season, might last 3 or 4 before it lets go.

Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: AndyF] #3120621
02/11/23 09:42 AM
02/11/23 09:42 AM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Yes you are.

I tell customers that std port heads are fine for stock blocks, good MW heads like CNC ported Indy heads or TF 270 heads should be paired with an aftermarket block. Customers hate to hear that advice since aftermarket blocks suck for Mopar guys. But anything over 700 or 750 hp starts to rattle the main caps and starts the process of cracking the main webs. It is just a matter of time before the block cracks. Might last a season, might last 3 or 4 before it lets go.

I keep hearing that but we've been over 750 for a while now.

We pulled it apart for a health and wellness check last winter. Bearings, main caps and bottom end looked fine.

A few things I think help with longevity: It never sees over 6,000 rpm, it has a relatively lightweight Molnar rotating assembly, short Mahle pistons and I'm conservative with timing to keep it out of detonation.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: AndyF] #3120687
02/11/23 01:56 PM
02/11/23 01:56 PM
Puyallup, WA
S
StealthWedge67 Offline
master
StealthWedge67  Offline
master
S

Puyallup, WA
Yes you are.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough with my current build. Andy, you weighed in on my plans at the outset and thought it could eclipse the 700 mark, I’ve since then made an adjustment in cam specs, having Howards custom grind a stick real close to your 470-build article cam. My block is decked..020, so I ended up at 3.875 stroke & 468 cubes in my 400 block with TF270’s and a big 4150 up top.

Great to see someone from Source posting here. I ran a set of Stealths for a dozen years and never had one issue with them. One of the best bang per buck purchases Ive ever made! I remember when I had MCH CNC them, they said they had a MW port program. I didn’t go that direction at the time because of intake selection. but iit was tempting. Here I am a few years later with a set of 270’s on the same low-deck block.

Last edited by StealthWedge67; 02/11/23 02:24 PM.

LemonWedge - Street heavy / Strip ready - 11.07 @ 120
Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: HotRodDave] #3120732
02/11/23 05:53 PM
02/11/23 05:53 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT

People are scared they will loose torque, then wonder why they can’t make more HP, give up and build a BBC with rectangular ports…

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: GTX MATT] #3120739
02/11/23 06:13 PM
02/11/23 06:13 PM
Kalispell Mt.
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
Happy Birthday HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here

Kalispell Mt.
Originally Posted by GTX MATT

People are scared they will loose torque, then wonder why they can’t make more HP, give up and build a BBC with rectangular ports…

I prefer a large high flowing port and shorter cam duration than needing to use a larger cam to get the same power out of a smaller port. It just makes for a more street friendly engine in my opinion.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: HotRodDave] #3120746
02/11/23 06:27 PM
02/11/23 06:27 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Online work
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Online Work
"Little"John

PA.

The Stealth head was designed as a performance replacement for a stock head which it does a great job of. It can easily flow over 300 cfm with the valves it comes with after some port work. A 906 head can be ported to over 300cfm too but they start getting a little thin. A max wedge port opening isn’t a magic bullet to turn it into a TrickFlow or Indy head. We already have that area covered well.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Stealth Heads, Max Wedge vs Std Port [Re: pittsburghracer] #3120748
02/11/23 07:04 PM
02/11/23 07:04 PM
Hot Rod Ridge
FastmOp Offline