01/30/23 02:57 PM
01/30/23 02:57 PM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline OP
master
a12rag  Offline OP
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
Just curious if there is any experience with replacing the ECM on a 24V 2001 Cummins ? Truck in question has approx. 270k miles on the clock . . . up til a couple weeks ago, was running fine. Went to use, and ZERO fuel pressure . . . no start. Lift pump has been changed out to FASS unit. Local mechanic is saying to replace both lift pump & VP44 . . but will ONLY do so, if replaces the ECM - which is NLA, but a couple companies do provide rebuild service . . . question is, does the ECM need to be replaced ? Should try changing the pumps ?? . . . Truck is 2001, 1 ton dually, quad cab.

Appreciate input . . .

Cheers,

Mark

Re: 2001 Cummins ECM Replacement ? [Re: a12rag] #3117751
01/30/23 03:35 PM
01/30/23 03:35 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

You need to get the fuel pump to run. The FASS pumps are usually wired with an external relay. Need to see how its wired. If nothing else run power and ground direct to the pump and see what it does. Its possible the driver in the ECM has failed. I would find a better mechanic.

Re: 2001 Cummins ECM Replacement ? [Re: NITROUSN] #3117867
01/31/23 10:49 AM
01/31/23 10:49 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Mine did the zero fuel pressure thing but still ran. Changed out the lift pump and still no pump action. No power to the pump and no obvious reasons why so I assumed the driver was toast. Found a switched ignition only power source in the fuse box and powered the lift pump from there. There is a potential safety issue with the pump running with the ignition on regardless of the engine running or not. Bleeding the fuel system is a snap tho with the constant flow.

Kevin

Re: 2001 Cummins ECM Replacement ? [Re: Twostick] #3117878
01/31/23 11:18 AM
01/31/23 11:18 AM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline OP
master
a12rag  Offline OP
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
Originally Posted by Twostick
Mine did the zero fuel pressure thing but still ran. Changed out the lift pump and still no pump action. No power to the pump and no obvious reasons why so I assumed the driver was toast. Found a switched ignition only power source in the fuse box and powered the lift pump from there. There is a potential safety issue with the pump running with the ignition on regardless of the engine running or not. Bleeding the fuel system is a snap tho with the constant flow.

Kevin

Thanks, above makes sense . . . although, if have the service manual and are able to "duplicate" how the ECM fires up the lift pump, then could duplicate, OUTSIDE the ECM . . .kinda of like external regulator for the alternator . . .

Re: 2001 Cummins ECM Replacement ? [Re: a12rag] #3117956
01/31/23 05:22 PM
01/31/23 05:22 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Originally Posted by a12rag

Kevin

Thanks, above makes sense . . . although, if have the service manual and are able to "duplicate" how the ECM fires up the lift pump, then could duplicate, OUTSIDE the ECM . . .kinda of like external regulator for the alternator . . .

Just inspect the wiring to the lift pump to see if it had been modified with a relay for the Fass. If not then check for ground to the lift pump and power. You will only have power when cranking or if you just bump the starter there will be power there for about 15 seconds. It will take you a whole 5 minutes to diagnose. I would get fuel pressure before I spent any more money. Also make sure there is lots of fuel in the tank.

Re: 2001 Cummins ECM Replacement ? [Re: NITROUSN] #3118100
02/01/23 01:15 PM
02/01/23 01:15 PM
Byron, NY
W.I.N. Racing Offline
top fuel
W.I.N. Racing  Offline
top fuel

Byron, NY
Typicaly its the board on the pump not the ECM that causes the pump failure... it gets corroded and burns up.

'01 P1500, Blown/Inj BAE,/Veney ,Bruno/CS2,Dana 60
'01 Dodge 3500 S Cummins Auto, Fresh air kit, 4" Exhaust,
'05 Dodge Magnum R/T - Too Much to list
'60 Willys CJ5
'01 International LPX - Project,DT466, Allison
'64 Plymouth Valiant, Inj 528 Hemi, 2spd
Re: 2001 Cummins ECM Replacement ? [Re: W.I.N. Racing] #3118115
02/01/23 02:44 PM
02/01/23 02:44 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Originally Posted by W.I.N. Racing
Typicaly its the board on the pump not the ECM that causes the pump failure... it gets corroded and burns up.

Thats the VP44 injection pump not the lift pump. He has no fuel pressure to the pump and needs to diagnose it. Even if the ECM driver for the lift pump has failed there are still ways to safely power up the lift pump. Poster also should have a quality scan tool pull all the codes. Myself I would get fuel pressure first before spending a dime anywhere else.

Re: 2001 Cummins ECM Replacement ? [Re: NITROUSN] #3118140
02/01/23 04:26 PM
02/01/23 04:26 PM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline OP
master
a12rag  Offline OP
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
Thanks for the replies . . . I agree, if the lift pump is not getting power, that is easy to diagnose . . . . unfortunately this is my brothers truck and he is located 5hrs away from me. Just getting the information from him, from what his mechanic told him . . . I personally would try to "hot wire' the lift pump to see if it works . . . then go from there . . . but sounds like brother is just going to wipe his hands of issue by selling truck "as is" . . . shame, after all these years . . .but he & wife are in their 70's and don't want to be "stranded' anywhere . . . truck is in good condition, other than this issue.

My issue with his mechanic, is saying "replace" the ECM, without any explanation other than "I always replace when there are that many kms/miles on truck" . . . seems like a good way to make $$$$$, without actually diagnosing what is "Actually" not working . . .

Just wanted to see what the collective wisdom of Moparts on subject was . . .

Thanks,

Re: 2001 Cummins ECM Replacement ? [Re: NITROUSN] #3122500
02/18/23 11:10 AM
02/18/23 11:10 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
You need to get the fuel pump to run. The FASS pumps are usually wired with an external relay. Need to see how its wired. If nothing else run power and ground direct to the pump and see what it does. Its possible the driver in the ECM has failed. I would find a better mechanic.

Agreed , I have a 2000 that I relocated the lift pump rearward and just extended the wires to new location, eventually the lift pump stopped working so I just wired a relay to a key on source and added my own relay. I put tens of thousands of miles on it like that , never touched the ECM .

Find a new mechanic ...

running up my post count some more .
Re: 2001 Cummins ECM Replacement ? [Re: a12rag] #3122503
02/18/23 11:15 AM
02/18/23 11:15 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

Kevin

The ECM has a timer circuit that runs the lift pump for a few seconds to charge the line then shuts off till the truck runs and then starts back up. Your Fass pump is a blockage in the line because there is a small pump inside the VP that will draw fuel from the tank , I drove my 2000 to the gas station from my house after working on my truck to get fuel and had forgot to plug the pump back in. I figured it out when I floored it, edge box and DD stage 3 injectors, and the truck stumbled but just light throttle the track drove the 4 miles round trip fine.

running up my post count some more .
Re: 2001 Cummins ECM Replacement ? [Re: JohnRR] #3126051
03/02/23 10:01 PM
03/02/23 10:01 PM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline OP
master
a12rag  Offline OP
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
*Update* . . . so my brother had his truck taken to a "different mechanic" than the one he originally talked with . . . lo and behold - replaced the lift pump, and all is fine !! . . . Shocking to think there are mechanics out there robbing people the way the original one was going to do ! . . . Good to have the FSM and then understand how things are supposed to work, so you can diagnose ! . . .

Cheers,

Re: 2001 Cummins ECM Replacement ? [Re: a12rag] #3126056
03/02/23 10:20 PM
03/02/23 10:20 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

*Update* . . . so my brother had his truck taken to a "different mechanic" than the one he originally talked with . . . lo and behold - replaced the lift pump, and all is fine !! . . . Shocking to think there are mechanics out there robbing people the way the original one was going to do ! . . . Good to have the FSM and then understand how things are supposed to work, so you can diagnose ! . . .

Cheers,

What did I tell you.