Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I would get the hoses or suitable substitute and repeat your test to confirm your previous results. twocents

Re: Vibration problem [Re: stumpy] #3120296
02/09/23 04:15 PM
02/09/23 04:15 PM
Md.
J
J Brough Offline OP
J Brough  Offline OP
J

Md.
Originally Posted by stumpy
Have you done a compression check?

Compression checked today.
Engine cold, all plugs removed, throttle and choke propped open

#1 - 165 psi #2 - 170 psi
#3 - 160 psi #4 - 170 psi
#5 - 170 psi #6 - 165 psi
#7 - 170 psi #8 - 165 psi

#3 is a bit lower than the others. Rechecked it and got the same number.

Cranked engine over with all plugs removed to look and listen for any signs of something that could be causing the vibration. I was under the car on the lift. Nothing noticed.

Plugs look OK to me. I don't see any sign of fouling, misfire, damage, or detonation. Not the best pictures I know.

Removed valve covers to take a look. Clean inside, no obvious damage to anything. All valves move as expected when cranking the engine over. I did not try to measure lift.

I'm about ready to rule out a misfire as the source of the vibration. I've ruled out the torque converter or flex plate since those have been replaced. I am pretty sure that vibration is so great that the motor and transmission mounts cannot dampen it out. I do plan to investigate the transmission mount a little further before I rule the mounts out. Nothing from the engine or trans is hitting anything on the body of the car. The front frame rails and inner fenders are original and were in good shape. I did replace the cowl, firewall, and all the floors. The torsion bar mount is original and was in good shape.

I'm narrowing down the possibilities to something internal in the engine. I did not check the transmission to engine alignment when I put the car together. Both dowel pins in the block are in place and the engine and trans are matching numbers, so I assumed it must be right. To measure the alignment, I think I would need to disassemble the trans so I could bolt up the empty case and use a dial indicator to measure the alignment. This is quickly becoming a major job.

John

IMG_3250.jpgIMG_3251.jpgIMG_3252.jpgIMG_3254.jpg
Re: Vibration problem [Re: RJS] #3120299
02/09/23 04:18 PM
02/09/23 04:18 PM
Md.
J
J Brough Offline OP
J Brough  Offline OP
J

Md.
Originally Posted by RJS
Years back my buddy had a similar situation and i noticed he didn't have those rectangle washers under the two trans. bolts. The bolts were bottoming out and mount was ever so loose because of it.
Just another thought.
Ron

Washers are there.

Re: Vibration problem [Re: J Brough] #3120404
02/10/23 08:48 AM
02/10/23 08:48 AM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
Originally Posted by J Brough
Originally Posted by stumpy
Have you done a compression check?

Compression checked today.
Engine cold, all plugs removed, throttle and choke propped open

#1 - 165 psi #2 - 170 psi
#3 - 160 psi #4 - 170 psi
#5 - 170 psi #6 - 165 psi
#7 - 170 psi #8 - 165 psi

#3 is a bit lower than the others. Rechecked it and got the same number.

Cranked engine over with all plugs removed to look and listen for any signs of something that could be causing the vibration. I was under the car on the lift. Nothing noticed.

Plugs look OK to me. I don't see any sign of fouling, misfire, damage, or detonation. Not the best pictures I know.

Removed valve covers to take a look. Clean inside, no obvious damage to anything. All valves move as expected when cranking the engine over. I did not try to measure lift.

I'm about ready to rule out a misfire as the source of the vibration. I've ruled out the torque converter or flex plate since those have been replaced. I am pretty sure that vibration is so great that the motor and transmission mounts cannot dampen it out. I do plan to investigate the transmission mount a little further before I rule the mounts out. Nothing from the engine or trans is hitting anything on the body of the car. The front frame rails and inner fenders are original and were in good shape. I did replace the cowl, firewall, and all the floors. The torsion bar mount is original and was in good shape.

I'm narrowing down the possibilities to something internal in the engine. I did not check the transmission to engine alignment when I put the car together. Both dowel pins in the block are in place and the engine and trans are matching numbers, so I assumed it must be right. To measure the alignment, I think I would need to disassemble the trans so I could bolt up the empty case and use a dial indicator to measure the alignment. This is quickly becoming a major job.

John

Agreed, just that engines don't develop a balance issue. Unless a weight flys off and you would have noticed that. Balancer/ tourque conveter issues wold be my next look.

Last edited by B1MAXX; 02/10/23 08:52 AM.
Re: Vibration problem [Re: B1MAXX] #3120440
02/10/23 12:48 PM
02/10/23 12:48 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by B1MAXX

Agreed, just that engines don't develop a balance issue. Unless a weight flys off and you would have noticed that. Balancer/ tourque conveter issues wold be my next look.

He has already swapped the converter and flex plate. I am not trying to be offensive to him in any way pity but rather he is beginning to chase ghosts as my old German boss would say. (IE: chasing his tail.)

He did one thing that MAY have alleviated the problem. I would go back and repeat that test to confirm or deny its affect. Then go from there twocents beer

I will say I had one years ago that I did everything short of pulling the motor and tearing it down. Even did new bearings. NADA, never did find it, but I put 40K + miles on the car before selling it to a friend. 5 years later he said it had been the best car he ever owned except for that 67-72MPH vibration popcorn

Last edited by TJP; 02/10/23 12:53 PM.
Re: Vibration problem [Re: TJP] #3120449
02/10/23 01:26 PM
02/10/23 01:26 PM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
Originally Posted by TJP

He has already swapped the converter and flex plate. I am not trying to be offensive to him in any way pity but rather he is beginning to chase ghosts as my old German boss would say. (IE: chasing his tail.)

Yep . I see that now. scope

Re: Vibration problem [Re: B1MAXX] #3120465
02/10/23 02:39 PM
02/10/23 02:39 PM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida
How far is the DS yoke into the trans?
Got a pic?

Re: Vibration problem [Re: BDW] #3120604
02/11/23 01:38 AM
02/11/23 01:38 AM
Northern California
lilcuda Offline
super stock
lilcuda  Offline
super stock

Northern California

So you have a video according to your first post. Set up a YouTube account and post it so we can see it. It might reveal something.

'67 is an abbreviation of 1967
67' is an abbreviation of 67 feet
They are not interchangeable.
Re: Vibration problem [Re: TJP] #3120724
02/11/23 05:14 PM
02/11/23 05:14 PM
Md.
J
J Brough Offline OP
J Brough  Offline OP
J

Md.
Originally Posted by TJP

He did one thing that MAY have alleviated the problem. I would go back and repeat that test to confirm or deny its affect. Then go from there twocents beer

I will say I had one years ago that I did everything short of pulling the motor and tearing it down. Even did new bearings. NADA, never did find it, but I put 40K + miles on the car before selling it to a friend. 5 years later he said it had been the best car he ever owned except for that 67-72MPH vibration popcorn

No offense taken. I absolutely feel like I am chasing my tail. It should not be this hard to figure out. I intend to repeat the no trans mount test. I will have some help so I can not only evaluate vibration inside the car but can also evaluate from underneath. I will be able to raise and lower the end of the transmission some to see if that changes anything. Although with the trans bolted firmly to the engine, how raising or lowering the end of the transmission could change the vibration when the transmission is in Park is not clear to me. I ordered another transmission mount. It is also a rubber mount and aftermarket. Made by Anchor. Don't expect it to fix the problem, but would be great if it did.

I am beginning to second guess my observation that the vibration suddenly appeared. Perhaps it was there all along and I wrote it off as a wheel/tire issue. I am running aftermarket Magnum 500's with bias ply Polyglas tires that were hard to get to balance. Certainly if it turns out to be a balance issue with the rotating assembly, that did not just all of a sudden happen. There are no weights that flew off.

R/ John

Re: Vibration problem [Re: BDW] #3120726
02/11/23 05:22 PM
02/11/23 05:22 PM
Md.
J
J Brough Offline OP
J Brough  Offline OP
J

Md.
Originally Posted by BDW
How far is the DS yoke into the trans?
Got a pic?

I do not have a pic. I'll get some. I am using the stock driveshaft that was in the car originally and rear springs/ride height are stock. Although on the lift it probably will be further out than it would normally run. I don't think it is anywhere near bottoming out on the output shaft. Plus the vibration occurs when the car is stationary in Park, neutral, and in gear when holding the brake. Seems like if the yoke was the problem it would occur only when moving.

R/ John

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4