Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: poorboy] #3094838
11/16/22 11:49 PM
11/16/22 11:49 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
So deer single out stupid people....how's that work?

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: A12] #3094850
11/17/22 12:42 AM
11/17/22 12:42 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by A12

Guess you missed my post on your time to die, or not your time to die?

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: poorboy] #3094885
11/17/22 09:04 AM
11/17/22 09:04 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by poorboy

I saw the results of the fully "protected" bike rider that missed a curve at about 80 mph and drove the bike through an Aerostar Ford van. He hit the van just to the right side of the center of the front bumper, missed the motor by inches, went through the dash and came out through the back hatch. All that safety equipment he was wearing didn't help much. The only thing the brain bucket did was made it easier to identify who the guy was, but those riding with him knew his name.

Nobody is advocating that you be required to wear safety gear, but that you are stupid for not wearing it and if your example above is your excuse for not wearing it you definitely fall into that camp. When you splatter yourself all over someone else's vehicle it is not just you that suffers. It's the people you hit, it's your family and it's your friends too, it's the EMT's that sponge you out of the vehicle you splattered yourself on. But yeah, it's just you that suffers.

As for the loud pipes saves lives idiots out there, you're the type people aim for.

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: Sniper] #3094888
11/17/22 09:17 AM
11/17/22 09:17 AM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
Great post!

A friend was doing a cross country motorcycle trip and smoked a deer in Colorado. I saw the video and there was literally nothing he could've done besides not be riding at all. He had most of his gear on and walked away with a couple bruised ribs and I think he broke his collarbone too. The bike was totalled and had to get shipped back to Detroit. I know far too many stories like this to *not* wear a helmet. Even just putting around the neighborhood it's usually gloves, jacket, helmet, and boots about half the time. I'm bad at wearing armored pants though.

Motorcycling is inherently dangerous and I'm going to actively do everything I can to protect myself in case of the worst.

'18 Ford Raptor, random motorcycles, 1968 Plymouth Fury III - 11.37 @ 118
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: Blusmbl] #3094984
11/17/22 02:14 PM
11/17/22 02:14 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
In 50 years of riding I have known 2 people put in nursing homes from bike wrecks with no helmet. The cause of both wrecks was booze/dope, helmets would not have changed anything.

I used to believe the when your number's up crowd, but these days I prefer to fudge things in my favor. I still don't believe it's the gubbamint's job to make people wear safety gear.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: slantzilla] #3095011
11/17/22 03:25 PM
11/17/22 03:25 PM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
Back before I got my drivers license, I rode dirt bikes very aggressively. Lots of crashes, broken collar bone, broken finger, amnesia, went down on the road once and got road rash on my knees, hands and an elbow. Still after all that I was pretty fearless. Then I got my license and rode on the street for a bit. WAY to scary! Plus the weather. I quit that pronto and now I prefer the safety and comfort of a convertible.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: Sniper] #3095024
11/17/22 04:04 PM
11/17/22 04:04 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Originally Posted by Sniper

Nobody is advocating that you be required to wear safety gear,

Oh? Some lawmakers not only "advocate" it but have passed laws requiring it.

When you splatter yourself all over someone else's vehicle it is not just you that suffers. It's the people you hit, it's your family and it's your friends too, it's the EMT's that sponge you out of the vehicle you splattered yourself on. But yeah, it's just you that suffers.

That argument has been around for ages...it's as lame now as it was then.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: John_Kunkel] #3095026
11/17/22 04:06 PM
11/17/22 04:06 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Originally Posted by Sniper

Nobody is advocating that you be required to wear safety gear,

Oh? Some lawmakers not only "advocate" it but have passed laws requiring it. I am talking about people in this thread

When you splatter yourself all over someone else's vehicle it is not just you that suffers. It's the people you hit, it's your family and it's your friends too, it's the EMT's that sponge you out of the vehicle you splattered yourself on. But yeah, it's just you that suffers.

That argument has been around for ages...it's as lame now as it was then.
You'd know all about lame

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: Sniper] #3095107
11/17/22 10:44 PM
11/17/22 10:44 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
For those that say "when it's your time"
I was taught, In life we have choices,
The choices one makes sometimes determines that, as well as their life whistling twocents

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: poorboy] #3095114
11/17/22 10:59 PM
11/17/22 10:59 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I saw the results of the fully "protected" bike rider that missed a curve at about 80 mph and drove the bike through an Aerostar Ford van. He hit the van just to the right side of the center of the front bumper, missed the motor by inches, went through the dash and came out through the back hatch. All that safety equipment he was wearing didn't help much. The only thing the brain bucket did was made it easier to identify who the guy was, but those riding with him knew his name.

What was he wearing that was going to protect him from his stupidity? When a motorcyclist hits and immovable object at 80 MPH after missing a curve, I'm thinking nothing would have protected them except MAYBE an airbag and I'm not sure even that would have done so whistling twocents

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: TJP] #3095224
11/18/22 02:01 PM
11/18/22 02:01 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i have had my motorcycle rider on my license since i was old enough to ride.
got my "harley education" paid for from my neighbor when he crashed his and i got to rebuild it for him.
after that, i rode [his bike] for a while until he moved.
i haven't ridden since, close to 30 years or more.
still have the rider on my license, but i wouldn't climb aboard one because i couldn't keep it upright standing still. laugh2
probably just time to give it up.
beer

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: TJP] #3095350
11/18/22 09:10 PM
11/18/22 09:10 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by TJP
For those that say "when it's your time"
I was taught, In life we have choices,
The choices one makes sometimes determines that, as well as their life whistling twocents

Yep, life style choices make a difference when your day to die arrives...

I knew a guy that did all the right things, he was a real health nut, did everything he was suppose to do, Dr. visits every year with the full medical check up. The story book picture of great health. He was one of those guys that kept telling me I was going to be dead before I was 50.

He died at 45 years old, while exercising on his treadmill. Massive heart attack. Nothing in his medical history indicated any problems. I suppose through his great healthy efforts, maybe he was suppose to die at 25 and that stuff bought him another 20 years, so I guess, good for him. I'm 66 now.

We have all seen the proof of the old people that did everything wrong health wise, still smoking and drinking like they did as youngsters, that lived past 100 years old.

Both examples are at the extremes, but they just validate my theory that when its your time its your time, and if its not, its not.

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: TJP] #3095358
11/18/22 09:38 PM
11/18/22 09:38 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by TJP

What was he wearing that was going to protect him from his stupidity? When a motorcyclist hits and immovable object at 80 MPH after missing a curve, I'm thinking nothing would have protected them except MAYBE an airbag and I'm not sure even that would have done so whistling twocents

And if that fool would have survived that crash, 80% of the safety police would have said his safety stuff saved him.

I suppose you have never heard about somebody that by some miracle survived some crash that should have killed them? Was it safety stuff that saved his butt, or some miracle like some would say, or was it simply not that person's time to die?

Here is a possible picture for you: The guy arrives at the after death check in station. The Creator looks at him, then at the book of life, and says "Nope not your time, I'm sending you back" and does. Then the Creator looks down and wonders what excuse the people will put on the man still being alive after that terrible innocent. The Creator is probably laughing. Back on earth, the medical people are saying the guy cane back from the dead because ____________ (Fill in the blank).

The other side is: The Creator is looking in the book of life. "At 10:59 AM this morning, Joe Cool is appointed to die. Have his welcoming committee waiting for his arrival. He is going to trip over his shoe string, fall and break his neck. I'll meet with him in a couple minutes, when his appointed time has arrives.
This should be fun... up

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: poorboy] #3095359
11/18/22 09:41 PM
11/18/22 09:41 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
All well and good but for me I'm still not going to jump out of an airplane without some kind of safety device like a parachute in hopes that it's not my turn to die and think if it's not that I'm going to land through an open skylight of the My Pillow factory and safely land on a bunch of pillows. Then walk away boasting about I guess it wasn't my turn. I'll wear available proven safety gear, you all do what you like. My original post was about how to me it's always IMO best to wear protective motorcycling gear as there are somethings out there that are unavoidable in life. There are motorcycle riders and then there are motorcyclists, you can usually spot the difference.

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: A12] #3095466
11/19/22 11:54 AM
11/19/22 11:54 AM
Great White North
W
Wheeler Offline
Master
Wheeler  Offline
Master
W

Great White North
Originally Posted by A12
All well and good but for me I'm still not going to jump out of an airplane without some kind of safety device like a parachute in hopes that it's not my turn to die and think if it's not that I'm going to land through an open skylight of the My Pillow factory and safely land on a bunch of pillows. Then walk away boasting about I guess it wasn't my turn. I'll wear available proven safety gear, you all do what you like. My original post was about how to me it's always IMO best to wear protective motorcycling gear as there are somethings out there that are unavoidable in life. There are motorcycle riders and then there are motorcyclists, you can usually spot the difference.

iagree

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: A12] #3095493
11/19/22 01:10 PM
11/19/22 01:10 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by A12

laugh2
Their nose are very sensitive and can smell a dumbsh-t coming from a mile away, LOL,

No offense mean to anyone regardless of their views beer

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: TJP] #3095498
11/19/22 01:19 PM
11/19/22 01:19 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
well, i thought it was funny.......... biggrin
nothing intended nor implied.
beer

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: moparx] #3095622
11/19/22 09:43 PM
11/19/22 09:43 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I put my Son on a small "tote goat" small lawnmower engine in a small two wheel scooter frame, at 4 years old and taught him to never ride any motorize open wheel motor cycle or 3 wheeler without protective gear on, helmet, googles, glove, long sleeve jacket and shirt, boots and so on.
We lived in the Mojave Desert and could go riding in the desert from our home, we would also go out to a place called Dumont dunes near Death Valley national park on weekends to ride in the sand dunes boogie, it had some great sand dunes to ride on and a warm creek that flowed all fall, winter and spring. It was probably around 100 Ft. below sea level around 50 miles north of Baker, CA. It would start getting hot (90+F) in early to mid April so we wouldn't go out their after April first, a lot of night riding on Friday nights, all day Saturdays and some die hard riders would ride during Saturday evenings into the night realcrazy Most people wouldn't ride much after dark on Saturdays due to being worn out from the drive from L.A. CA and Las Vegas ,NV to the dunes and riding Friday night and riding all day Saturday.
My Son got deep into riding hot street canyon carvers and ended up wrecking them several times, the first time he crash he was pitch off his street and dirt bike by hitting a root on the edge of the while going fast around an downhill corner, he was high sided and ended up landing off the road in the weeds on a decomposed granite downhill bank, he was wearing his work clothes, shorts, a long sleeve sweat shirt , tennis shoes and his helmet. He was in a coma for around 6 days and in the hospital 10 days or maybe a little more with a concussion, 5 broken ribs and four crushed vertebrae's.
He got back on the bikes as soon as he could ride again and crash again two years ago , this time with all the good go fast H.D. safety riding gear on and didn't get in hurt in that crash shock, That crash broke the bike in half and didn't hurt him at all bow
I told him many times to not ride on the roads but he loves tearing up the canyons roads in the hills and mountains, he will be 52 yrs. old next month so i guess I should be thankful that he is still healthy and working.
His Son, my youngest Grandson, rides street bikes also but not as fast as his dad boogie
Thanks be to God for all things in our Lifes bow up

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 11/19/22 09:55 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3