Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: Rhinodart] #3094492
11/15/22 09:34 PM
11/15/22 09:34 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Been down three times without a helmet on, according to you guys I should be maimed, destroyed, and dead! Read my first sentence, and you can keep telling all the anecdotes you want, nobody will change my mind. I am thinking of NOT moving to Tennessee because of their archaic "everyone must wear a helmet" law! If I want to wear one then I will, nobody should forced to do anything against their will... tsk
shock shruggy
it is YOUR choice, I do know more than one motorcycle riders that are still in coma's after crashing many years ago without a helmet on whiney puke
I saw one guy die after he got pitch off of his Yamaha 850 4 stroke triple road bike not wearing a helmet. tsk
He owned a junkyard in Hesperia, CA and one of his customers had a Suzuki 750 triple two stroke chopper, they raced each (without helmets or any other riding gear) other3 times up and down the road in front of the junkyard, the Suzuki beat him every time and beat him worst each time they raced. After the last race the owner of the junkyard was downshifting and trying to stop in time to turn into the driveway to his yard and the bike started hopping and ended up throwing him off of it into the ditch beside the road, he slid on his back into the ditch and hit his head on a large rock splitting his skull wide open. That crash happened at probably below 30 MPH shruggy That was on a Saturday around noon, he died later that afternoon while being transported to a hospital is what I learned when I stop by his yard on Monday morning to find out how he was doing puke rant shruggy

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 11/17/22 02:49 AM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: Rhinodart] #3094494
11/15/22 09:39 PM
11/15/22 09:39 PM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Online content
Too Many Posts
topside  Online Content
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
Uh, no, I'm not saying it's instant death to not wear a helmet or the other stuff, just that there are no guarantees, and fate is capricious.
I've had a few "get-offs" on dirt bikes and got away with them, though those were relatively low speeds & comparatively soft landings.

Do whatever you want, no hassle from me.

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: topside] #3094496
11/15/22 09:46 PM
11/15/22 09:46 PM
CA
C
crackedback Online content
top fuel
crackedback  Online Content
top fuel
C

CA
Please have plenty of insurance too so we don't have to fund your care if you end up really messed up. People fall down skating, hit their head and die. If your number is up, bye bye

The outliers of the broken neck bs compared to the lives saved is miniscule.

If helmets didn't do any good, nobody in motorsports would be required to wear one.

Last edited by crackedback; 11/15/22 09:47 PM.
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: crackedback] #3094513
11/15/22 10:10 PM
11/15/22 10:10 PM
Buckeye Lake
56_Royal_Lancer Offline
My Mouth Is Shut II
56_Royal_Lancer  Offline
My Mouth Is Shut II

Buckeye Lake
I see that the bike in the video is an FJR. I was riding my FJ 1100 about 85mph on Rt 40 near National Trail Raceway with my wife on the back. A deer ran out and I hit it square in the hindquarters. Hard. Split the fairing on the bike, busted off the steel turn signal stalk and I never did find the scoop for the right carbs. The unbelievable part is we never went down, though it definitely got my undivided attention. If you check out the picture the scoop is gone, as is the signal stalk. Blow up the picture and you may be able to see the splits in the fairing. I've always worn gear, I'm just more comfortable that way. Like they say, there's 3 kinds of riders: Been down, Going down, Going down again.

fj.jpg
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: 56_Royal_Lancer] #3094526
11/15/22 10:55 PM
11/15/22 10:55 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
When its your time to die, its your time. No one and no thing will prevent it from happening.

Along the same lines, if its not your time, its not your time.

We have all seen things that have happened to people where we are amazed they are still alive and walking around, and we have all seen things where people have died where we can't believe they died from that.

Bottom line? Let the people live their lives as they choose, as long as its not hurting you or your family. Personal safety is indeed personal safety. It is not your right or duty to interject your personal safety on to me or anyone else.

When I was young and a wild driver, I made the decision not to ride bikes because I figured I would end up killing myself. It was my decision. If you want to ride, go for it, and wear what ever you feel comfortable with.

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: poorboy] #3094537
11/15/22 11:40 PM
11/15/22 11:40 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I gave up riding shortly after getting married as it was no longer just me. I also lost two friends in the same accident on separate M/C's That were taken out by a wrong way driver on I-5 in Oregon. The had helmets and other protective gear but the head on collision at combined speed or ~130MPH they did not stand a chance. they met the worn way driver on a curve at the crest of a hill. The driver had a history of mental problems. That to a point I could understand. But when it was revealed her 15 YO son was sitting beside the whole time it took the freedom of riding away. Every time I crested a hill or went around a blind corner I was as far right as I could be and ready with the brakes.
So no more, twocents

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: A12] #3094550
11/16/22 01:19 AM
11/16/22 01:19 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Decided on "Rolling the dice and taking my chances".............what could possibly go wrong? shruggy wink At least I'm wearing protective eyewear, only because it seems to be a law in every State except Iowa (is that forced personal safety?)

Eye Protection Requirements for Motorcycle Riders
Every state—with the exception of Iowa—requires all motorcycle riders to have eye protection. If a rider does choose not to wear a helmet, they are still required to have eye protection by either wearing goggles or having a windshield.
Some states have regulations specifying what type of eyewear is permitted, while others, like Kansas, simply require that the eyewear be shatterproof and scratch-resistant. DOT-certified goggles and glasses will generally satisfy these requirements, but check with local rules if you intend to use prescription glasses.

Rolling the dice and taking my chances 01.jpg
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: poorboy] #3094592
11/16/22 10:15 AM
11/16/22 10:15 AM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Originally Posted by poorboy
When its your time to die, its your time. No one and no thing will prevent it from happening.

We have all seen things that have happened to people where we are amazed they are still alive and walking around, and we have all seen things where people have died where we can't believe they died from that.

Bottom line? Let the people live their lives as they choose, as long as its not hurting you or your family. Personal safety is indeed personal safety. It is not your right or duty to interject your personal safety on to me or anyone else.

When I was young and a wild driver, I made the decision not to ride bikes because I figured I would end up killing myself. It was my decision. If you want to ride, go for it, and wear what ever you feel comfortable with.

The problem with that logic is that sometimes you don't simply die immediately all clean and tidy. (At least not right away).

When I was kid a teenager in the neighborhood was fooling around on his little honda motorcycle. Front tire slipped on a flattened soda can and he went down and hit his head--closed head injury.

He lived for another 25 or so years but was totally dependent on his entire family (mostly his mom) for literally everything. To feed him, bathe him, He eventually passed away from a lung infection. Not sure what would have happened if he would have outlived his mother. I guess he would have been a ward of the state relying on tax money and the kidness of strangers..

Last edited by wingman; 11/16/22 10:25 AM.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: wingman] #3094593
11/16/22 10:18 AM
11/16/22 10:18 AM
Dunnellon, FL
longram60 Offline
mopar
longram60  Offline
mopar

Dunnellon, FL

I hit a turkey buzzard once. Stayed up, took the windscreen out. What a mess it made (Bird sh*t). I'm a AGAT ridderr (All The Gear All the Time).

1979 AMC Spirit, NHRA Q/SA
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: crackedback] #3094606
11/16/22 11:03 AM
11/16/22 11:03 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by crackedback
Please have plenty of insurance too so we don't have to fund your care if you end up really messed up. People fall down skating, hit their head and die. If your number is up, bye bye

If helmets didn't do any good, nobody in motorsports would be required to wear one.

Says right on the helmet something like not good for anything over 5mph, had a few helmets that had that label on them and they were Snell rated. Keep the anecdotes coming, I must be the luckiest guy in the world riding for 50 years and still being alive! I pretty much always rode with a helmet off road, been down hundreds of times while not on the highway and to me it makes more sense then dulling your senses on the highway whey you need them most... wave As far as eye protection is concerned I HAVE to wear it because I had gunpowder ignite in my face when I was 17 and my eyes are sensitive to wind, so I have to have a windscreen and glasses on. Illinois law states that you don't have to wear eyewear if the windshield is so many inches above the handlebars, too lazy to look up the exact law but I remember it when I was a board member of Illinois ABATE...

Last edited by Rhinodart; 11/16/22 11:09 AM.

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: Rhinodart] #3094628
11/16/22 12:21 PM
11/16/22 12:21 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
As far as eye protection is concerned I HAVE to wear it because I had gunpowder ignite in my face when I was 17 and my eyes are sensitive to wind,

Well if you had protective gear on (safety googles) your eye's wouldn't have been damaged whistling

Sorry just being an a-s and joking. beer I say it should be the individuals choice much like seatbelts.
I wear them others don't. their choice
But I will say their families and friends are the ones who usually pay the price. That is what made my decisions twocents up

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: Rhinodart] #3094635
11/16/22 12:47 PM
11/16/22 12:47 PM
Loudoun County, VA
Brad_Haak Offline
super stock
Brad_Haak  Offline
super stock

Loudoun County, VA
... I must be the luckiest guy in the world riding for 50 years and still being alive!

I just think you're old-school biker and a slow learner. Like's been said by others before me, common sense isn't as common as people believe. Stay safe, regardless up

2021 Challenger 6.4L Scat Pack 1320 (2022)
100% stock: 1.680, 11.894 at 113.75 (DA 175 ft)
wheels, tires, air filter: 1.714, 11.833 at 115.80 (DA 310 ft)

1973 Challenger 452 ci street/strip (2008)
pump gas, DOT radials: 1.454, 10.523 at 126.44 (DA 514 ft)
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: A12] #3094638
11/16/22 12:50 PM
11/16/22 12:50 PM
Eau Claire, WI
Charger727 Offline
super stock
Charger727  Offline
super stock

Eau Claire, WI
And put on some darned gloves !!!

When I laid mine down, my right hand leather glove was peeled back and torn right down to exposing my bare skin - but I didn't get a scratch on my hand!

Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: Rhinodart] #3094655
11/16/22 01:31 PM
11/16/22 01:31 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Been down three times without a helmet on, according to you guys I should be maimed, destroyed, and dead!

Same for me, road rash is all I got.

Read my first sentence, and you can keep telling all the anecdotes you want, nobody will change my mind. I am thinking of NOT moving to Tennessee because of their archaic "everyone must wear a helmet" law! If I want to wear one then I will, nobody should forced to do anything against their will... tsk

Couldn't have said it better, I'm a firm "let those who ride decide" advocate.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: Rhinodart] #3094656
11/16/22 01:33 PM
11/16/22 01:33 PM
CA
C
crackedback Online content
top fuel
crackedback  Online Content
top fuel
C

CA

Says right on the helmet something like not good for anything over 5mph, had a few helmets that had that label on them and they were Snell rated. Keep the anecdotes coming, I must be the luckiest guy in the world riding for 50 years and still being alive! I pretty much always rode with a helmet off road, been down hundreds of times while not on the highway and to me it makes more sense then dulling your senses on the highway whey you need them most... wave As far as eye protection is concerned I HAVE to wear it because I had gunpowder ignite in my face when I was 17 and my eyes are sensitive to wind, so I have to have a windscreen and glasses on. Illinois law states that you don't have to wear eyewear if the windshield is so many inches above the handlebars, too lazy to look up the exact law but I remember it when I was a board member of Illinois ABATE...

Yet motorsports require the useless things. Got it.

Don't care if you do or don't... don't be a burden to the rest of us if you happen to have a poor result from that decision.

Last edited by crackedback; 11/16/22 01:36 PM.
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: poorboy] #3094657
11/16/22 01:34 PM
11/16/22 01:34 PM
Star Idaho
67vertman Offline
master
67vertman  Offline
master

Star Idaho
Originally Posted by poorboy

This man gets it! iagree

We ALL make choices about our safety everyday. Some are better than others.

As a Construction Manager, who has held thousand of safety tail-gate meetings, it amazed me to watch what "some people" would do, even when they knew it was dangerous! The only reason OSHA and "Safety" Rules came about is because of them.
I have seen to many people die because their own actions!

So wear your PPE or don't....and live and die by those decisions.

Last edited by 67vertman; 11/16/22 01:35 PM.

My Monster are real!

Living within your means makes life pretty easy.
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: crackedback] #3094659
11/16/22 01:38 PM
11/16/22 01:38 PM
Star Idaho
67vertman Offline
master
67vertman  Offline
master

Star Idaho

Yes they do....as they would be held liable if they didn't!

Just as "loud Pipes Saves Life's" so does a "Brain Bucket"

My Monster are real!

Living within your means makes life pretty easy.
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: John_Kunkel] #3094667
11/16/22 01:50 PM
11/16/22 01:50 PM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel

Couldn't have said it better, I'm a firm "let those who ride decide" advocate.

Just make sure all your insurance premiums are paid up, because as a taxpayer I am a fan of "let those who pay have the say".

Too many folks in this world don't want to be told what to do, but then expect someone else to pay the toll when their bad decisions come home to roost.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: crackedback] #3094719
11/16/22 03:51 PM
11/16/22 03:51 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Don't care if you do or don't... don't be a burden to the rest of us if you happen to have a poor result from that decision.

I have plenty of insurance, some state MAKE you have the insurance, And to the one who says common sense applies, I used to teach common sense when I was a college instructor, yes it CAN be taught. And I also believe that the day you were conceived your life was programmed by the creator, there is almost nothing you can do about the day you were born and the die you will die regardless of what everybody else thinks... wave

Last edited by Rhinodart; 11/16/22 03:54 PM.

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Why it's best to wear protective motorcycle gear even if you [Re: 67vertman] #3094835
11/16/22 11:29 PM
11/16/22 11:29 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by 67vertman

Yes they do....as they would be held liable if they didn't!

Just as "loud Pipes Saves Life's" so does a "Brain Bucket"

I saw the results of the fully "protected" bike rider that missed a curve at about 80 mph and drove the bike through an Aerostar Ford van. He hit the van just to the right side of the center of the front bumper, missed the motor by inches, went through the dash and came out through the back hatch. All that safety equipment he was wearing didn't help much. The only thing the brain bucket did was made it easier to identify who the guy was, but those riding with him knew his name.

For the record, If I get injured to the point someone has to do everything for me, weather it be by my decisions, or someone else's decisions, you have my permission to pull the plug. That is not the kind of living I want. That decision of mine is on every medical and legal document I've ever signed.

As far as motorsports, if I want to participate in their activities at their facilities, I have to decide to follow their rules, ignore the rules and take a chance of getting booted out and off their grounds, or to not participate. That is how the game is played.

I believe there is often too much protection available for stupid people, that is one of the reasons the world is in the shape its currently in. I'm including myself in that statement at some level. As my old buddy Forrest Gump says "Stupid is what stupid does." As long as the consequences for stupid actions only effect the stupid person, they should be able to be as stupid as they want.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3