Print Thread
leaf pack change for 71 RV chassis #3092950
11/09/22 07:48 PM
11/09/22 07:48 PM
PINE VALLEY
Ray S Offline OP
Ray S  Offline OP

PINE VALLEY
The 71 RV chassis has crazy stiff springs compared to modern RVs. I think it suffers from what many old chassis did - over-sprung and under-shocked.
I have friends who have removed leafs when working on their springs but I am reluctant to without further advice.
It already has big airbags that I use mainly for adding clearance to the rear overhang, but could be put in service for general support.
I have cleaned and added teflon between the 50 year old leafs, which helps, but the general ride is still stiff - no sway bar, and no need for one...
Front packs were rebuilt with Delrin spacers and seem about right at this point, and I could install myself.
I'd like to loosen the rear packs anyway to correct the crab from a PO hitting curbs on the right. Taking them completely off is a real problem due to arch and need for something to hold them flat (others have found out the hard way). The rear carries about 8,000 lbs. The RR has a OEM block to compensate for the 350lb Onan.

So, question is: which leafs to remove from the pack while I'm at it? I was thinking only one or two at most. I can add a sway bar and would add blocks.
I would re-clean and use Teflon strips instead of paste.

IMG_6083.JPGIMG_6353.JPG
Re: leaf pack change for 71 RV chassis [Re: Ray S] #3093470
11/11/22 02:05 PM
11/11/22 02:05 PM
Atlanta, GA
M
mgoblue9798 Offline
super stock
mgoblue9798  Offline
super stock
M

Atlanta, GA
Ray I would advise getting in touch with a driveline and chassis shop to talk to them about what you want to do.

I am sure you know that those air bags when inflated are adding to the spring rate.

Taking out leaves could allow for too much axle wrap. May require a pan hard bar to be fashioned.

You may also consider checking out what leaf packs and spring rates are under the newer 4500 and 5500 model trucks now and retrofit them with their shocks as a matched system.

Re: leaf pack change for 71 RV chassis [Re: mgoblue9798] #3093597
11/12/22 12:20 AM
11/12/22 12:20 AM
PINE VALLEY
Ray S Offline OP
Ray S  Offline OP

PINE VALLEY
Originally Posted by mgoblue9798
Ray I would advise getting in touch with a driveline and chassis shop to talk to them about what you want to do.

I am sure you know that those air bags when inflated are adding to the spring rate.

Taking out leaves could allow for too much axle wrap. May require a pan hard bar to be fashioned.

You may also consider checking out what leaf packs and spring rates are under the newer 4500 and 5500 model trucks now and retrofit them with their shocks as a matched system.

Part of the idea is to lose steel rate and add airbag rate, as airbags are much more supple than those old slabs. They literally only travel ~3" max, and no body sway on corners.
I have lateral panhards front and rear which now help with freeway tracking.
The "easy" fix is to have the same spring builder that re-arc'd the front redo the rear with Delrin slides, ~$1k

IMG_E8754.JPG