11/11/22 01:30 AM
11/11/22 01:30 AM
New State
kidmopar Offline OP
master
kidmopar  Offline OP
master

New State
Thinking of buying a "brand-X" car ( 2013 Ford Escape ) that was slightly rear-ended , however her insurance totaled the car for $3000.00 ...........

About 100k on car everything else in great shape ....... I'm seeing very minimal damage to rear facia and small bump on lift-gate. she just wants the 3k for the car

Haven't called yet ....... does anyone have experience getting salvage title car insured ? ? ? Thank you for any / all replies ! bow

Re: Insurance for "salvage title" car ? [Re: kidmopar] #3093321
11/11/22 06:53 AM
11/11/22 06:53 AM
USA
S
Suregrip391 Offline
top fuel
Suregrip391  Offline
top fuel
S

USA
I don’t think you can, atleast in NY you cannot until you jump through some hoops getting a state inspection done after the repairs are made and then and only then can you get that salvaged title turned into a rebuilt title. Assuming you passed the state inspection. Check with your state DMV. It may be online what you need to do if you don’t want to make a call. Good luck Kev.

Re: Insurance for "salvage title" car ? [Re: kidmopar] #3093322
11/11/22 07:22 AM
11/11/22 07:22 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

Here's what you need to do:

- check with your insurance company (or other companies if yours won't) to find out what their requirements are for insuring a vehicle on a salvage title, or with salvage history. It is possible to do, though many companies that do so will require you to have the title changed from a salvage title to a rebuilt title.

- If the latter is true, contact your state BMV to find out what steps need to be taken in order to have the title updated. For example, in Ohio, the OHSP must inspect the vehicle in person. They check the VIN, and that all safety items are working, and that the vehicle is roadworthy. Here's a link to Ohio's process, just for reference. https://services.dps.ohio.gov/vehicleInspection#!

- Don't take as gospel anything anyone tells you about "I knew a guy,' or "I wouldn't worry about it," or "In state XYZ, we do this, so you should do the same."

- with regard specifically to the 2013 Escape, if it has the 1.6 Ecoboost, it may not be worth buying, as they had significant engine and electrical problems. Our company fleet is made up largely of Escapes, and when the model change was made, our 1.6's were constantly in the shop, many for extended periods of time, many for weeks/months on end. Complete engine replacements, PCM failures, wiring harness replacement, etc.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Insurance for "salvage title" car ? [Re: not_a_charger] #3093325
11/11/22 07:51 AM
11/11/22 07:51 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
Before even thinking about it contact you states DMV and see what needs to be done. "salvage" in my state you can not drive until it is repaired(need all receipts for parts/repairs made and pics). After this you need to take it to a state inspection(not the same for yearly inspections) then they will go over it an if it passes you will then be able to get a good title for it.

Re: Insurance for "salvage title" car ? [Re: not_a_charger] #3093334
11/11/22 08:58 AM
11/11/22 08:58 AM
Central Michigan
N
nuthinbutmopar Offline
super stock
nuthinbutmopar  Offline
super stock
N

Central Michigan
Originally Posted by not_a_charger

- check with your insurance company (or other companies if yours won't) to find out what their requirements are for insuring a vehicle on a salvage title, or with salvage history. It is possible to do, though many companies that do so will require you to have the title changed from a salvage title to a rebuilt title.

- If the latter is true, contact your state BMV to find out what steps need to be taken in order to have the title updated. For example, in Ohio, the OHSP must inspect the vehicle in person. They check the VIN, and that all safety items are working, and that the vehicle is roadworthy. Here's a link to Ohio's process, just for reference. https://services.dps.ohio.gov/vehicleInspection#!

- Don't take as gospel anything anyone tells you about "I knew a guy,' or "I wouldn't worry about it," or "In state XYZ, we do this, so you should do the same."

This is all you really need to know.

I'll add that I bought a LOW mileage Rebuilt Title car for my business from a family that bought salvage cars and repaired them. They had pictures of the car before repair, and it was obvious they did quality work. They had a dealer license so the paperwork was 100% good. Insurance company didn't bat an eye, and the rate was exactly the same. Drove it for 3 years and 100k miles and got 90% of my money back.

Re: Insurance for "salvage title" car ? [Re: nuthinbutmopar] #3093431
11/11/22 12:58 PM
11/11/22 12:58 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar

I'll add that I bought a LOW mileage Rebuilt Title car for my business from a family that bought salvage cars and repaired them. They had pictures of the car before repair, and it was obvious they did quality work. They had a dealer license so the paperwork was 100% good. Insurance company didn't bat an eye, and the rate was exactly the same. Drove it for 3 years and 100k miles and got 90% of my money back.

Similar experience. Bought a Cavalier for my kid that already had a valid WI salvage title. Insurance company said nothing. Drove that little car for years. Traded it in and they gave us pretty close to what we paid for it. Zero issues.

Re: Insurance for "salvage title" car ? [Re: nuthinbutmopar] #3093454
11/11/22 01:39 PM
11/11/22 01:39 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar

Right. Some insurers don't care at all about a salvage title and will insure it regardless, some want you to get a rebuilt title, some won't touch it at all.

DBAP
Re: Insurance for "salvage title" car ? [Re: not_a_charger] #3093513
11/11/22 05:20 PM
11/11/22 05:20 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
In California (with a possible exception to classic vehicles), once a salvage title, always a salvage title. I have had some and never had trouble getting insurance. As a matter of fact, AAA totaled my Durango and never dropped the insurance. Still has the same full coverage that it had prior to the accident.

Re: Insurance for "salvage title" car ? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #3093576
11/11/22 10:15 PM
11/11/22 10:15 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
In California (with a possible exception to classic vehicles), once a salvage title, always a salvage title. I have had some and never had trouble getting insurance. As a matter of fact, AAA totaled my Durango and never dropped the insurance. Still has the same full coverage that it had prior to the accident.

You may want to see what they'll pay if it gets totaled again as they may pay next to nothing as they already totaled the vehicle. What I'm trying to say is what your paying may not be worth it shruggy beer

Re: Insurance for "salvage title" car ? [Re: TJP] #3093824
11/12/22 10:40 PM
11/12/22 10:40 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk

You may want to see what they'll pay if it gets totaled again as they may pay next to nothing as they already totaled the vehicle. What I'm trying to say is what your paying may not be worth it shruggy beer

Perhaps, but anything would be fine. They already paid for it once...

Re: Insurance for "salvage title" car ? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #3093992
11/13/22 05:45 PM
11/13/22 05:45 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Online content
I Live Here
poorboy  Online Content
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I haven't kept up with the current trends, but it used to be a "salvage title" in IL meant the vehicle had to be rebuilt by a licensed rebuilder, then after it passed inspection, it was forever branded with a "rebuilt title". An insurance company salvage title means it was a car they considered as totaled that that have paid off the owner on. The salvage title allows the insurance co to sell that vehicle, and generally keeps it out of the hands of the general public until it has been repaired.

Now, a vehicle that has been "totaled" by an insurance company that has been bought back by the vehicle owner does not get a salvage title. The owner does not give up the title, he keeps it as it was. An insurance "total" simply means the insurance company deems that the repair cost is with in a % range of the value of the vehicle and is not worth repairing, as far as the insurance company is concerned. With older vehicles, it doesn't take much to reach the "totaled" price range of an insurance company. The damage to the vehicle could be completely cosmetic, and have nothing to do with the vehicle's function. I've bought and driven many insurance company "totaled" vehicles, some for several years and many miles.

Its the insurance company's choice on if they will insure a vehicle they have "totaled". Most will cover the vehicle for liability coverage only, until you prove the cosmetic repairs have been completed to their satisfaction. It the vehicle retains full coverage, it generally excludes the previously damaged area unless it has been repaired. It the insurance company totaled the vehicle because of a rear quarter panel damage, but the full covered vehicle was involved in a head on crash, they would pay for the value of the vehicle, less the amount paid out because of the previously damaged area, if those repairs were not made.

I bought a Dakota extended cab pick up a few years ago. The old guy driving it misjudged the distance to a parked car, and damaged the passenger side door, rear cab panel, and the front corner of the truck bed. The truck was a great truck, it just looked bad. I wanted to cover it for lability coverage only. My insurance wanted to put the truck in "high risk" because apparently, the police officer at the seen reported the truck looked "really bad". I drove the truck to my agent, and showed them the door still fully functioned, (it didn't even have much wind whistle through it)., and the truck was still fully functionally. My agent took pictures and documented that he agreed with me. They covered it for normal liability coverage. I drove that truck for 4 years, and the lady I sold it to is still driving it two years later. I suspect the truck was totaled by the old guy's insurance and he bought it back. I bought the truck from the old guy's grandson.

I can tell you lots of totaled vehicles that were bought back and delivered many more years of service. Those often make great winter beaters, or to and from work vehicles.

Re: Insurance for "salvage title" car ? [Re: poorboy] #3094022
11/13/22 09:01 PM
11/13/22 09:01 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Much of your post is correct. I'll just add a few fine points.

I have been a licensed rebuilder here in Illinois for decades. Contrary to common opinion, a salvage designation may have absolutely nothing to do with the condition of the vehicle. And often doesn't. Just one example; theft recovery. The vehicle may not have a scratch on it when recovered, but many insurance companies will 'salvage' it simply to sever any liabilities. They don't know what, if anything, happened to the vehicle during the theft.

There are tons and tons of reasons why an insurance company 'salvages' a vehicle. My neighbor told his insurance company that if they didn't 'total' his son's Camaro after a fender bender, he was taking all of his business elsewhere. He didn't want the young man to have it in the first place. Then there are salvages due to a lack of parts availability. I bought a really nice 300C last year that only needed a rear bumper assembly and quarter repair. But some of the parts were on back order. Then there are repair rejections. Customers won't accept the repair. And on and on. There are so many reasons that a vehicle may get a salvage title. And as I have already said, it may have nothing to do with the condition of the vehicle.

My experience with insurance on rebuilts is that most companies are fine with it. Illinois has issued a valid, negotiable title, and that is all they need to know. But occasionally a company will want an agreed to value, and once in a blue moon, a company will only go liability. But usually full coverage is not problem.

Master, again and still
Re: Insurance for "salvage title" car ? [Re: DaveRS23] #3094067
11/14/22 07:39 AM
11/14/22 07:39 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

ust one example; theft recovery. The vehicle may not have a scratch on it when recovered, but many insurance companies will 'salvage' it simply to sever any liabilities. They don't know what, if anything, happened to the vehicle during the theft.

Insurers also total theft vehicles if they are unrecovered after a certain time frame, usually 30 days. This is per the policy contract with the insured, and is designed to facilitate prompt payment of the claim so that the insured can have the funds to replace the vehicle.

DBAP