southern conn
1969gtx Offline OP
mopar
1969gtx  Offline OP
mopar

southern conn
Has anyone used Brother's title service

1965 A/FX Plymouth 9.50 et @139 mph
1965 A/FX awb plymouth flashback [email]10.26@129mph[/email] mph on pump gas 426 hemi
1969 GTX Hemi 4 speed 12.50 et @ 112mph in F.A.S.T TRIM
1970 GTX 4406pac 4 speed 11.05 @126.9 mph in F.A.S.T TRIM

http://www.AFXER.com
Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: 1969gtx] #3093144
11/10/22 01:26 PM
11/10/22 01:26 PM
Atlanta, GA
M
mgoblue9798 Online content
super stock
mgoblue9798  Online Content
super stock
M

Atlanta, GA
Look up "Vermont title loophole". This is what some of the title services use to get your paperwork anyway.

Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: 1969gtx] #3093174
11/10/22 03:25 PM
11/10/22 03:25 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

I asked a guy at the local DMV and he told me how to do it according to TN law.

I have to run an ad in the local paper like they do with bankruptcy's/foreclosures and if nobody responds in 30 or 60 days I bring the ad and a rubbing of the VIN to him and he issues a new title.

Many states have a system to get a title for abandoned cars but few people know or use them.

I would contact the local DMV by talking to the director in person. Nobody will ever help on the phone from what I have seen.

Also you should be able to have a shop file for a mechanics lien-title for non payment for repairs in many states.

Hope it helps.

Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: mgoblue9798] #3093178
11/10/22 03:52 PM
11/10/22 03:52 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by mgoblue9798
Look up "Vermont title loophole". This is what some of the title services use to get your paperwork anyway.

Agreed, this is currently the cheapest and safest way to acquire "legal" documentation to acquire a title thru one's State, if it can be done here in Massachusetts which has the toughest rules/regulation/laws/idiot DMV-RMV employees, you can do it elsewhere

....... https://youtu.be/hcHKNoMHDSs

Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: DAYCLONA] #3093186
11/10/22 04:40 PM
11/10/22 04:40 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA

Agreed, this is currently the cheapest and safest way to acquire "legal" documentation to acquire a title thru one's State, if it can be done here in Massachusetts which has the toughest rules/regulation/laws/idiot DMV-RMV employees, you can do it elsewhere

I find this to be total freiking BS that it's that easy to get a title. Why because I just had a car STOLEN from me and I had the original OHIO title, the registration was up to date and the car was insured, I had the car at what I thought was a good friend's home body shop and was in no hurry to have him re-paint it. Then he started to ghost me every time I offered to pick the car up and bring it to my storage. He kept saying it was okay and in safe storage in his pole barn and not to worry. Finally got to him the day after I checked with BMV and title bureau that the title was still in my name and the registration was still current. I said I'm here for my car when he says "It's gone". "What do you mean it's GONE!" He goes into this wild a$$ story of how he had to move it to his father's place and when he went to get it back it was GONE. The county sheriff and the insurance company did an investigation and even flew a drone around his home and his father's home and nothing. They think he re-titled it out of state and then sold it. So I say this is total BS that it's that easy to get a title for ANYTHING and I don't know how many times since I've heard the VERMONT LOOPHOLE BS and now see how easy it is to STEAL someone's vehicle even if they are holding a legitimate title in hand. Rant over........for now.

Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: A12] #3093191
11/10/22 05:09 PM
11/10/22 05:09 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Hmm. If he retitled it but didn't change the VIN, and it's relatively recent, I would think that your DMV can run the VIN in other states and find out where it went. IF that was what happened.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: 6PakBee] #3093198
11/10/22 05:25 PM
11/10/22 05:25 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Right. If that VIN was used it would come up right away.
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Hmm. If he retitled it but didn't change the VIN, and it's relatively recent, I would think that your DMV can run the VIN in other states and find out where it went. IF that was what happened.

Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: NITROUSN] #3093207
11/10/22 06:08 PM
11/10/22 06:08 PM
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted by NITROUSN

I am not a lawyer and I have not played one on TV either but I have to ask how this would play out.

Obviously it would take some days in court but would the new "owner" have to turn the car over or would the person who sold it after re-titling it just have to pay restitution (with possible jail time) and the car is now owned by someone else.

I have heard that with real estate it can be the latter in many cases. shruggy

Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: A12] #3093208
11/10/22 06:15 PM
11/10/22 06:15 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan
Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA

I find this to be total freiking BS that it's that easy to get a title. Why because I just had a car STOLEN from me and I had the original OHIO title, the registration was up to date and the car was insured, I had the car at what I thought was a good friend's home body shop and was in no hurry to have him re-paint it. Then he started to ghost me every time I offered to pick the car up and bring it to my storage. He kept saying it was okay and in safe storage in his pole barn and not to worry. Finally got to him the day after I checked with BMV and title bureau that the title was still in my name and the registration was still current. I said I'm here for my car when he says "It's gone". "What do you mean it's GONE!" He goes into this wild a$$ story of how he had to move it to his father's place and when he went to get it back it was GONE. The county sheriff and the insurance company did an investigation and even flew a drone around his home and his father's home and nothing. They think he re-titled it out of state and then sold it. So I say this is total BS that it's that easy to get a title for ANYTHING and I don't know how many times since I've heard the VERMONT LOOPHOLE BS and now see how easy it is to STEAL someone's vehicle even if they are holding a legitimate title in hand. Rant over........for now.

What year car was it?

Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: IMGTX] #3093220
11/10/22 07:06 PM
11/10/22 07:06 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Stolen property in almost all cases leaves the guy with the car screwed. Legally no mater what its considered illegal possession of stolen property..The crooks in between should face legal prosecution charges as they are felons.
Originally Posted by IMGTX

I am not a lawyer and I have not played one on TV either but I have to ask how this would play out.

Obviously it would take some days in court but would the new "owner" have to turn the car over or would the person who sold it after re-titling it just have to pay restitution (with possible jail time) and the car is now owned by someone else.

I have heard that with real estate it can be the latter in many cases. shruggy

Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: NITROUSN] #3093234
11/10/22 08:06 PM
11/10/22 08:06 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Stolen property in almost all cases leaves the guy with the car screwed. Legally no mater what its considered illegal possession of stolen property..The crooks in between should face legal prosecution charges as they are felons.

Read up on the Wild Cherry van

https://www.motorious.com/articles/news/wild-cherry-van/

Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: Sniper] #3093263
11/10/22 09:35 PM
11/10/22 09:35 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I know for a FACT that the person who holds the oldest legal title will ALWAYS win in court. The problem is most cars are destroyed or parted out before that ever happens... frown

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: IMGTX] #3093266
11/10/22 09:48 PM
11/10/22 09:48 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by IMGTX
I asked a guy at the local DMV and he told me how to do it according to TN law.

I have to run an ad in the local paper like they do with bankruptcy's/foreclosures and if nobody responds in 30 or 60 days I bring the ad and a rubbing of the VIN to him and he issues a new title.

Many states have a system to get a title for abandoned cars but few people know or use them.

I would contact the local DMV by talking to the director in person. Nobody will ever help on the phone from what I have seen.

Also you should be able to have a shop file for a mechanics lien-title for non payment for repairs in many states.

Hope it helps.

up This is the legal and legit way to do it. You do not want to be looking over your shoulder wondering if a leagl owner or Heir is going to pop up and CLAIM your investment. You can also Call the state DMV Office for added help if needed. twocents twocents popcorn

Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: mgoblue9798] #3093272
11/10/22 10:00 PM
11/10/22 10:00 PM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Here's a video explaining how to navigate the Vermont process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcHKNoMHDSs

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: 2boltmain] #3093320
11/11/22 05:59 AM
11/11/22 05:59 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
Wow, A12. That’s sucks. Hope this was not a classic car. There are only two ways you can get a title in Texas. One is a long process that requires an inspection of the car by a certified LEO of the current vin in all places to verify that vin. The current owner of record is sent a letter stating that someone is trying to get a title for the car. If no reply, then you contact a bonding agent and get a bonded title on a pretty big dollar amount of more than the restored value of the car. The bond is not expensive though. That’s where most people end the story. I called a bonding underwriter and asks what happens if within the three years of the bond, someone claims the car. He said, “ We pay the bond to the person and come after you legally for the entire bond amount in court.”
The other way evolves a judge to grant a title. It’s a little complicated and most judges won’t take time to do it. I know a guy that is doing it and I’m afraid he is “ stretching it” somewhat. He may get in trouble someday and the judge may too. And in my best a Forrest Gump voice, “ and that’s all I’m going to say about that.”

Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: 2boltmain] #3093377
11/11/22 10:29 AM
11/11/22 10:29 AM
Connecticut
1972CudaV21 Offline
master
1972CudaV21  Offline
master

Connecticut
Originally Posted by 2boltmain
Here's a video explaining how to navigate the Vermont process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcHKNoMHDSs

Only problem: You’ll be paying a 6% Vermont tax based on sale price. If the sale price is too low in their opinion, do they use a classic car value guide?

China is the enemy.
Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: 1969gtx] #3093448
11/11/22 01:36 PM
11/11/22 01:36 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Every state rules are not the same on tilting cars with missing titles, been there, done that.
California was a lot harder than Oregon is, I bought a 1966 Dodge Coronet and a 1967 Plymouth Satellite from a local tow yard, both had been their over 20 years, the tow yard owner told the local DMV office here in Oregon that he had lost the titles and gave me a bill of sale and they issue both new titles to me after checking to make sure that cars had not been reported stolen or had liens on them shruggy
They are not salvage titles. boogie

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 11/11/22 01:37 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: Cab_Burge] #3093733
11/12/22 03:47 PM
11/12/22 03:47 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
not sure if it has been previously mentioned before or not, but some states do not have titles for vehicles made before a certain YOM.
possibly just a transferable registration.
beer

Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: moparx] #3093794
11/12/22 07:10 PM
11/12/22 07:10 PM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Originally Posted by moparx
not sure if it has been previously mentioned before or not, but some states do not have titles for vehicles made before a certain YOM.
possibly just a transferable registration.
beer

In California, that's what was famously called a 'pink slip'. Had a go around with my DMV over that. I won!

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: getting a title for a old car [Re: John Brown] #3093985
11/13/22 04:56 PM
11/13/22 04:56 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Online content
I Live Here
poorboy  Online Content
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
The problem with old cars is that unless the car has been listed as stolen, and has not been registered in the last 10 years, most State held paper work disappears from the records after 7-15 years. Once the time the records drop off, most States do not have a record of the vehicle's last registered owner.

In IL if you go through the process and get a bonded title, after that 3 year bond period, the State deems their bonded title as the original. The process includes a national stolen car title search, if the car has been processed as stolen or turns up as registered in a different state the process stops immediately. It it clears the stolen car data base, the bond process displays what they claim is a legal search for the original owner, which could be a simple statement in a local paper. Any person holding a title for the vehicle in the search has 3 years from the printed date to make a claim the vehicle. After the 3 years has passes and no one has made a claim of ownership, the State has determined that the bonded title shall be considered as the original title. IL sends you a written and dated statement that says the bond requirement time has been completed and they give you a reference number if anyone at any time challenges your title. Any person holding older dated paper work past the end of the bond time has wall art.

The bottom line is, as a vehicle owner that may have a vehicle in any kind of storage for what ever reason, it is your responsibility to be sure your car is where it is suppose to be. You probably need to go to the location every couple of years and lay your hands on it. If the storage facility can't or won't let you lay your hands on your car, you probably need to contact the local police to start the stolen car process. If the storage place won't let you look at your own car, something fishy is probably going on. Any title processing starts with a stolen car title search, if the car title number shows up in that search, the process stops, and the process to get you involved begins. However, if you have received payment for a stolen car from an insurance company, the rights to that car are no longer your rights, those rights for claim belong to the insurance company. The insurance company has the right to sell a theft recovery vehicle that they have paid out on. Usually, once an insurance company pays off on a stolen car, that title is removed from the stolen car data base. The car that was stolen from you 20 years ago that the insurance company paid you for, may well show up at a car show near you, but that guy can legally own the car now. You have no claim to it.

I don't buy many vehicles that don't have a title that matches the vehicle ID number. The few that I have bought, I have known their history dating back at least 10 years. I often talk with a former owner about the car and its history. Then before I buy it, I do the stolen car search to see if it coms back clear. Then its on to the bonded title process for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2