Pa
K
koak Offline OP
mopar
koak  Offline OP
mopar
K

Pa
I can't post a pic here for some reason, but I've done dozens of these adjustments over the years. Typically with the TV lever pulled forward you can get full rearward travel at wot. This one lacked that full rearward travel by and I'm guessing, maybe 1/4 " max. I biased it by pulling the lever just off the fwd stop by about that amount. So I have full rearward travel at wot. The throttle linkage pin is touching the rear of the slot in the TV linkage and of course it moves immediately with throttle opening. This is the best I can do. The linkage is the full rod type as opposed to the bellcrank type. I was surprised when I rigged the tv open to test and the idle was affected as well. My understanding is the slot in the linkage was supposed to absorb that but I never tested that. My guess is that there are some mis matched componets contributing to this. All this aside the trans works well except this issue. It is more than slop in the driveline. If it was, it would be like half a turn of the pinion.

edit: As a further test, I pulled the shaft. Again, rear seems not to be an issue. Shaft could turn easily in one direction and more difficult, but not impossible in the other. I compared that to two 727's I have out and seemed to match one. The other which has a known issue could turn easily in one direction, but was about impossible to turn the other. I'm discounting that one, but these are things I never really looked at before so I don't really know. Was able to attach pic also.

linkage.jpg
Last edited by koak; 11/04/22 01:44 PM.
Re: 727 Torqueflite issue [Re: koak] #3091699
11/04/22 08:05 PM
11/04/22 08:05 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I saw in one of your posts that the trans fluid level could be a quart to a quart and a half low. Did you top off the fluid level?
Any Mopar trans I've ever had that was a quart low functioned poorly after the trans warmed up.

The 1st step in troubleshooting an auto trans was to be sure the fluid level was correct, not low, and not over full. With the fluid warm, vehicle on a level surface, trans in neutral (newer stuff is in park, but park doesn't work on the old transmissions), the fluid level should be at the full mark. If it isn't add, if its more the the distance between the "add and the full" above the full line, drain some out.

Until the fluid level is correct, almost every test will give incorrect info..

Re: 727 Torqueflite issue [Re: poorboy] #3091705
11/04/22 08:21 PM
11/04/22 08:21 PM
Pa
K
koak Offline OP
mopar
koak  Offline OP
mopar
K

Pa
Fluid level is correct.

Re: 727 Torqueflite issue [Re: JohnRR] #3091791
11/05/22 08:12 AM
11/05/22 08:12 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
There are at laest 2 different length KD levers at the trans itself. You may have the shorter of the two. Thus your range of adjustment is off.
Doug

Re: 727 Torqueflite issue [Re: dvw] #3091797
11/05/22 08:52 AM
11/05/22 08:52 AM
Pa
K
koak Offline OP
mopar
koak  Offline OP
mopar
K

Pa
Yeah, that’s what I am seeing. Wondering what the rhyme or reason for that was. I have a few kicking around. I’ll have to measure them up. And I believe I have the longer installed and need the shorter, but yeah. Thanks.

Last edited by koak; 11/05/22 08:57 AM.
Re: 727 Torqueflite issue [Re: koak] #3092812
11/09/22 11:38 AM
11/09/22 11:38 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by koak
I can't post a pic here for some reason, but I've done dozens of these adjustments over the years. Typically with the TV lever pulled forward you can get full rearward travel at wot. This one lacked that full rearward travel by and I'm guessing, maybe 1/4 " max. I biased it by pulling the lever just off the fwd stop by about that amount. So I have full rearward travel at wot. The throttle linkage pin is touching the rear of the slot in the TV linkage and of course it moves immediately with throttle opening. This is the best I can do. The linkage is the full rod type as opposed to the bellcrank type. I was surprised when I rigged the tv open to test and the idle was affected as well. My understanding is the slot in the linkage was supposed to absorb that but I never tested that. My guess is that there are some mis matched componets contributing to this. All this aside the trans works well except this issue. It is more than slop in the driveline. If it was, it would be like half a turn of the pinion.

edit: As a further test, I pulled the shaft. Again, rear seems not to be an issue. Shaft could turn easily in one direction and more difficult, but not impossible in the other. I compared that to two 727's I have out and seemed to match one. The other which has a known issue could turn easily in one direction, but was about impossible to turn the other. I'm discounting that one, but these are things I never really looked at before so I don't really know. Was able to attach pic also.

What you are getting with spinning the shaft one way verse the other is correct for a properly functioning overrunning clutch/sprag.

If that picture is of your setup I see a problem , the flat bar from the carb to the top link is not supped to be angled like that , it has to be pretty much horizontal , it is screwing up the movement of the throttle linkage being like that and more than likely why the idle is changing.

What is that carb from, the connection point is way to low, if you can't raise it up put a spacer under the carb to raise it assuming you have hood clearance.

running up my post count some more .
Re: 727 Torqueflite issue [Re: JohnRR] #3092822
11/09/22 12:10 PM
11/09/22 12:10 PM
Pa
K
koak Offline OP
mopar
koak  Offline OP
mopar
K

Pa
"Shaft could turn easily in one direction and more difficult, but not impossible in the other." Since the problem only comes on with heat, I'm assuming it is leakage to the rear clutch apply at this point rather than a sprag issue, which I would think, should be evident all of the time.

The carb is a TQ from a '74 400, but the throttle pivot location is in the same as every production TQ I have or have seen. I am using a thick base gasket and am not going to use an additional spacer. The kd linkage is unknown. I'm assuming it is 4bbl since it lines up with the 4bbl carb, which is more outboard than 2bbl, but can't say for sure. I didn't love that bar lean either, but in all of my research I have seen it on others and assumed it was ok. Did they have lower KD linkages for 4bbls? The only difference I noticed was for single piece vs the bellcrank type. Both were used on trucks of this era seemingly with no rhyme or reason (at least to me). EDIT: Below is a 3,400 mile '78 LRT and another un-modified 360 4bbl same era. Note the bar positions

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG
Last edited by koak; 11/09/22 12:20 PM.
Re: 727 Torqueflite issue [Re: koak] #3093078
11/10/22 09:59 AM
11/10/22 09:59 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
"Shaft could turn easily in one direction and more difficult, but not impossible in the other." Since the problem only comes on with heat, I'm assuming it is leakage to the rear clutch apply at this point rather than a sprag issue, which I would think, should be evident all of the time.

this has nothing to do with heat or rear clutch apply leakage , that is how the sprag operates , it's NORMAL. If you had rear clutch apply leakage you be having slipping issues in ALL forward gears.

The carb is a TQ from a '74 400, but the throttle pivot location is in the same as every production TQ I have or have seen. I am using a thick base gasket and am not going to use an additional spacer. The kd linkage is unknown. I'm assuming it is 4bbl since it lines up with the 4bbl carb, which is more outboard than 2bbl, but can't say for sure. I didn't love that bar lean either, but in all of my research I have seen it on others and assumed it was ok. Did they have lower KD linkages for 4bbls? The only difference I noticed was for single piece vs the bellcrank type. Both were used on trucks of this era seemingly with no rhyme or reason (at least to me). EDIT: Below is a 3,400 mile '78 LRT and another un-modified 360 4bbl same era. Note the bar positions.

ok scratching my head on that one as it does not look right to me. The width of the carb linkage attachment points side to side are the same 2bbl and 4 , what is different in the location front to back 2bbl vs 4bbl, 4 is more forward.

running up my post count some more .
Re: 727 Torqueflite issue [Re: JohnRR] #3093084
11/10/22 10:46 AM
11/10/22 10:46 AM
Pa
K
koak Offline OP
mopar
koak  Offline OP
mopar
K

Pa
"this has nothing to do with heat or rear clutch apply leakage , that is how the sprag operates , it's NORMAL."- Yes, we both agree. That is what I was trying to say, sprag seems not to be an issue

If you had rear clutch apply leakage you be having slipping issues in ALL forward gears.-ok. Hmmm. There is no slipping at all that I can discern other than what I noted.

Page 2 of 2 1 2