Pasadena, Texas
F
fal3 Offline OP
enthusiast
fal3  Offline OP
enthusiast
F

Pasadena, Texas
Cannot figure out how to install the lower rod. Anybody have a picture of it installed on trans. Or secrets to getting it installed. Background: all I did was remove the lower rod when I pulled the engine/trans together to separate the trans from engine-that's it. The swivel end was attached to the torque shaft. I left the swivel attached to the torque shaft to help me remember how to re-install the lower rod. Prior to this, the shifter worked flawlessly, even when upshifting or down shifting.
The shifter is in Park. I've the '67 FSM, pg. 21-47 fig 10, and when I follow the diagram's placement the rod does not line up with either the torque shaft or control lever. If I install the end of the rod with the cotter pin in the torque shaft first, as per the diagram, the swivel end does not line with the control lever; the swivel end is slightly cocked and will not smoothly slip in place; the flat side of the shaft gets rotated out of synch with the clip that holds the shaft in place for adjusting and tightening. If I install the swivel end in the control lever first, the cotter pin side is out of alignment. What I mean by that is the cotter pin slide does not just fit into place as should be expected. The best way I can describe it is the cotter pin side almost lays flat. The "hook-end" is almost parallel to the control lever. So, I went back to how I had it originally- the swivel end went on the torque shaft, the alignment is still off. What did I do/get wrong?
So, I google it. Now, I'm finding some contractionary images. One image I found shows the rod flipped: cotter pin side goes in control lever; swivel side goes in torque shaft. This is what I had originally. Also, getting contradictions on when control lever in Park. FSM, pg 21-47 under Linkage Adjustment, states "Move transmission lever, fig 6, all the way to rear (in park detent)". To the rear of what? Getting contradictions on this info. Some sources say to move to rear of engine. Others say rear of car. I know I should send photos, but too friggin' tired and frustrated to get under car now. But, if pictures important, I'll snap some tomorrow and post. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Re: '67 b-body: 727 lower rod AARRGH [Re: fal3] #3090927
11/01/22 11:47 AM
11/01/22 11:47 AM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
You do realize that the swivel is adjustable? Loosening the bolt will allow length and alignment adjustments.

Swivel.PNG

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: '67 b-body: 727 lower rod AARRGH [Re: fal3] #3090957
11/01/22 02:52 PM
11/01/22 02:52 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
To adjust the linkage.
1. Make sure the car can not roll and is safely supported.
2. Loosen the bolt in the Clamp on the shift linkage.
3. Place the shift lever inside the car in the park position.
4. Move the lever on the transmission so that the end that the shift rod connects to is all the way to the rear of the car. There will be an audible click each time you move it but the last click will engage the park prawl and will be more of a clunk. That is park.
Sometimes the linkage has worn bushings so you will need to put a little pressure on the linkage to take up the slack. If so push the bellcrank end of the linkage towards the front of the car while keeping the transmission lever in the park position. The bellcrank is the part going from the frame to the transmission with 2 arms on a shaft.
5. Tighten the bolt.

As for the alignment issues.
Are the bushings good?
Is it possible that your bellcrank isn't seated correctly in the bushings or installed reversed?
Maybe you have the rod inverted on the transmission end?
You are putting the linkage on the lower ever correct? The upper lever is commonly called the kick down linkage that connects to the carburetor.
shruggy

Hope it helps.

Re: '67 b-body: 727 lower rod AARRGH [Re: fal3] #3091265
11/02/22 08:48 PM
11/02/22 08:48 PM
Pasadena, Texas
F
fal3 Offline OP
enthusiast
fal3  Offline OP
enthusiast
F

Pasadena, Texas
IMGTX- got it installed; your info was great help. Kunkel-thanks for helpful diagram.