10/30/22 04:08 PM
10/30/22 04:08 PM
Virginia
BSharp Offline OP
master
BSharp  Offline OP
master

Virginia
I need to rewire the 69 Barracuda front to back. Originality is not required, and I'm using later electronic ignition, a Denso internally-regulated alternator, and aftermarket gauges, so I don't need or want a restoration harness. I'm not adding electric windows, seats, fuel pump, fan, etc., but I do plan to use OE ignition, headlight, column and wiper switches. (Unless I get talked out of it.) I'm leaning toward the Painless 10127 Mopar harness, but they seem to have the weakest of instruction manuals. The Classic Upgrade kit from American Autowire looks like overkill for what I want, and costs $1200. With that said, I'm willing to pay for a smooth installation, as I'm not really looking forward to this job. Their 20 circuit street rod kit looks good, as does the 22 circuit harness from Speedway. EZ Wiring? Ron Francis? What say Moparts?

Re: Choosing a wiring harness [Re: BSharp] #3090537
10/30/22 07:11 PM
10/30/22 07:11 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
I bought the 12 circuit harness from Speedway but have yet to install it. My Savoy is probably like your Barracuda with very few options so I think a 12 circuit would do OK for your car as well. I like the layout of the kit except for the GM based wire colors and column wiring is based on a GM style plug. The directions look pretty good but the fuse box will need to have a bracket made for mounting. I might get ambitious this winter and do the big job and fit my new headlight relay setup too with some new halogen bulbs.
The decision would be just rip it all out and start from scorched earth or replace it as I remove the old stuff beer

Gus beer

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: Choosing a wiring harness [Re: fourgearsavoy] #3090555
10/30/22 09:36 PM
10/30/22 09:36 PM
Virginia
BSharp Offline OP
master
BSharp  Offline OP
master

Virginia
That Speedway 12 circuit kit is probably enough for me too. I don't see circuits called out for dome and trunk lights, but those should be easy to add. I don't really care about wire color, but yeah, most kits are geared toward GM connectors and switches.

Re: Choosing a wiring harness [Re: BSharp] #3090557
10/30/22 09:48 PM
10/30/22 09:48 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Run away from Painless as they put all their $$ into marketing and little into product development.

You are between a rock and a wall in that you have enough changes that make a stock harness all but useless, but the changes you do have do not lend themselves to the available upgrade harnesses. I'll agree the update series is overkill for your needs

My suggestion would be to talk to American Autowire, explain the situation, and see if they would supply you with the connectors and terminals you would need (at additional cost) if you bought one of their hi-hway series kits.
This would get you everything you need to make your own custom harness.

The other option would be to buy one of the kits like the hi way series, reuse your switch connectors and source the terminals which are available. You will need to be able to understand the factory schematics and how to correctly wire in the changes.
I do have an extra set/pair of the Packard crimpers you would need if you go that way. PM me if interested.
I have used AA almost exclusively for the last 20 + years in a multitude of customers cars.
The last option would be to spring for the AA upgrade kit which is $$and overkill.
I have always preferred the hi way kits in a situation like this as you can route the harness as you want and terminate BOTH ends cleanly without a bunch of leftover cr-p you don't want or need
Francis has been around for quite some time, the speedway kit ?, Painless panic ozbbq
twocents beer

Re: Choosing a wiring harness [Re: TJP] #3090618
10/31/22 08:48 AM
10/31/22 08:48 AM
Virginia
BSharp Offline OP
master
BSharp  Offline OP
master

Virginia
Good reply, thank you. I was looking for experienced opinions, and it says a lot that you've gone back to AA multiple times. I'll talk to them and see if they can fix me up with connectors that I can build up myself. And thanks for the offer of the crimpers, but I'm pretty well set for wiring tools.

Re: Choosing a wiring harness [Re: BSharp] #3090625
10/31/22 09:18 AM
10/31/22 09:18 AM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
For a non-restoration application, American Autowire has other harnesses.
If you look around their site, you'll find several different ones.
Used one of them on a '53 F250, converting it to a 12V Neg ground system with alternator.
Used a few for swapping LS engnes into FJ40s with complete re-wiring.
They make a very good product with detailed instructions, and I'd use them again without hesitation.

Re: Choosing a wiring harness [Re: topside] #3090709
10/31/22 02:01 PM
10/31/22 02:01 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
painless reminds me of a phrase my old man would use every time i would hit my finger or thumb with a hammer driving a nail : "i didn't feel a thing !...... laugh2"
there are better options out there than "hitting your finger or thumb with a hammer".............[as has been mentioned]
beer

Re: Choosing a wiring harness EDITED [Re: BSharp] #3090852
10/31/22 10:56 PM
10/31/22 10:56 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by BSharp
Good reply, thank you. I was looking for experienced opinions, and it says a lot that you've gone back to AA multiple times. I'll talk to them and see if they can fix me up with connectors that I can build up myself. And thanks for the offer of the crimpers, but I'm pretty well set for wiring tools.

up
You are more than welcome. The terminals and SOME connectors are available if one looks hard enough. I will add substantially cheaper than AA l is likely to be or Napa (bendover), Ebay, or AMZ

Do be aware the Packard terminals require specific crimpers as do most terminals.
There's one pair for the smaller gauged wires (up to 16 ga. I think).
Another for the 14-10 ga.
Having spent some time in various engineering positions I'm a bit anal about using the correct crimpers for terminals
If you have them AWESOME smile beer

EDIT: I just looked at the painful kit you mentioned. A pre terminated fuse box is something i despise for reasons previously mentioned. I also see the harbor freight terminal assortment is still included along with butt spliced headlight pigtails CLASSY STUFF. Electronics 101A teaches to avoid connections when possible as each is a potential problem. I'll bet there's no crimping instructions either, A apair of pliers or a hammer will work panic flame ozbbq

Last edited by TJP; 10/31/22 11:08 PM.