10/29/22 07:20 PM
10/29/22 07:20 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
My current plan is to trench from the power outlet and replace the outlet box with a junction box. I will dig and lay the conduit but I will have the electrician run wiring from the greenhouse and put a splice where the power outlet was.

I am not sure if the greenhouse is a service or feeder. I found out a few days ago that I can not attached the service meter box to the greenhouse. Since it is not built onto a foundation it is considered a temporary building according to codes. Temporary buildings can not have a service mounted on the building. At least that is what I was told. So I would assume it is a feeder? shruggy

Another side question.
When I do outside telecom wiring I have to use gel filled compression splices.
Is there a type of splice I should make sure is used or just leave it to the electrician who knows the codes?

Re: Electrical Meter/Service question *update* [Re: IMGTX] #3090401
10/30/22 09:07 AM
10/30/22 09:07 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by IMGTX
My current plan is to trench from the power outlet and replace the outlet box with a junction box. I will dig and lay the conduit but I will have the electrician run wiring from the greenhouse and put a splice where the power outlet was.

I am not sure if the greenhouse is a service or feeder. I found out a few days ago that I can not attached the service meter box to the greenhouse. Since it is not built onto a foundation it is considered a temporary building according to codes. Temporary buildings can not have a service mounted on the building. At least that is what I was told. So I would assume it is a feeder? shruggy

Another side question.
When I do outside telecom wiring I have to use gel filled compression splices.
Is there a type of splice I should make sure is used or just leave it to the electrician who knows the codes?

My copy of the NEC is getting dated (2017) but if you have no foundation then Section 225 probably applies as a "structure". If you want to bury conduit and then run discrete wires, there is nothing wrong with that. You can direct bury UF if your local inspector definitely does not consider the connection box on the greenhouse as a service entrance. Otherwise you could direct bury USE and get the same results. As to the telephone wiring, contact your local telephone provider, saves a lot of headaches down the road.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Electrical Meter/Service question *update* [Re: 6PakBee] #3090446
10/30/22 11:52 AM
10/30/22 11:52 AM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
Codes are different depending where you live. Here if the panel is over 50' from the meter base it has to have a service disconnect at the meter. New spec homes will put the panel on other end of house from service and end up having to have the outside disconnect. Lol! We wouldn't have any problem just hooking up the green house to the 50amp breaker in the panel because it's nothing more than like adding a garage feed.

Now the circuit on the bottom that's not fused going to the other barn would get a 10 day notice to either add a breaker or we would return and turn off power until it was fixed. All circuits other than the main must be fused. It's common to find panels like that because people don't want to buy the expensive breaker.

Page 2 of 2 1 2