12/18/22 07:42 PM
12/18/22 07:42 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline OP
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline OP

San Jose,CA
Good news (at least for me) just out that the askis star on vin tags was not on all models automatically in 1971. As late as possible febuary, the ‘*’ could not be on the vin tag. Mine will not come with it for being an early year. I am still looking to have to tool made in case of fiture use though.

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3103495
12/19/22 02:12 AM
12/19/22 02:12 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by migsBIG
Good news (at least for me) just out that the askis star on vin tags was not on all models automatically in 1971. As late as possible febuary, the ‘*’ could not be on the vin tag. Mine will not come with it for being an early year. I am still looking to have to tool made in case of fiture use though.

From what I was told the "*" was put there to indicate the beginning and end of the VIN so no one could easily put numbers there to alter it (i.e., change for theft reasons, etc.,) . The current 17 digit VIN format uses the 9th position as a "check" digit created from the other 16 characters via a special formula.

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: A12] #3121457
02/14/23 02:51 PM
02/14/23 02:51 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline OP
migsBIG  Offline OP

San Jose,CA
UPDATE: I am in contact with a company that is looking to reproduce the mopar vin tags from 1968 to 1980's models and doing it legally. need to get a bunch of vin tag samples sent to them so they can refine the tooling. Cost should be affordable to the buyer as well. Will keep you all in the loop as I get more info over the next few weeks/months.

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3121465
02/14/23 03:05 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
this should be interesting........
beer

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3121466
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
UPDATE: I am in contact with a company that is looking to reproduce the mopar vin tags from 1968 to 1980's models and doing it legally. need to get a bunch of vin tag samples sent to them so they can refine the tooling. Cost should be affordable to the buyer as well. Will keep you all in the loop as I get more info over the next few weeks/months.

Questions;

Name of the company?

Name of the Federal agency they are dealing with?

Does Chrysler know some outfit is planning to do this?

Is Chrysler Corporation granting this outfit a license?

If so, who is the contact person at Chrysler Corporation?

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3121467
02/14/23 03:06 PM
02/14/23 03:06 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline
master
DynoDave  Offline
master

MICHIGAN
Nice! Thanks for the update.

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: Alaskan_TA] #3121508
02/14/23 04:50 PM
02/14/23 04:50 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA

Questions;

Name of the company? Good question.

Name of the Federal agency they are dealing with? Another good question.

Does Chrysler know some outfit is planning to do this? This should not concern Chrysler.

Is Chrysler Corporation granting this outfit a license? For what? A license to stamp numbers in a piece of metal?

If so, who is the contact person at Chrysler Corporation? Not relevant IMHO.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: 6PakBee] #3121522
02/14/23 05:42 PM
02/14/23 05:42 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by 6PakBee

Questions;

Does Chrysler know some outfit is planning to do this? This should not concern Chrysler.

Is Chrysler Corporation granting this outfit a license? For what? A license to stamp numbers in a piece of metal?

Agreed,....and if its the Canadian individual that I think it is......not a thing anyone can do about it, basically boils down to a MYOB for those that get their panties in a bunch over a piece of stamped tin....

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3121525
02/14/23 06:20 PM
02/14/23 06:20 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Can you get a reproduction dash VIN tag made LEGALLY for any other manufacture ??? If not then one would have to question this? Another question Why if this is a potential legal business venture does this person need you to send them samples of VIN tags to "refine" the tooling?? And as noted Where is this legal? I'm sure it's legal in some Pacific Rim countries and other places NOT IN THE USA. Hey can you have them make up some counterfeit US money plates while they're at it for me I'm sure that's legal wherever that is too. wink

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: Alaskan_TA] #3121563
02/14/23 07:58 PM
02/14/23 07:58 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline OP
migsBIG  Offline OP

San Jose,CA

Questions;

Name of the company? It is a US based company and has been doing data tags for awhile. When they have a finished product I will post their info here.

Name of the Federal agency they are dealing with? Not my company, so I don't know.

Does Chrysler know some outfit is planning to do this? Chrysler has no representation on this.

Is Chrysler Corporation granting this outfit a license? Chrysler has no legal jurisdiction on this product.

If so, who is the contact person at Chrysler Corporation?

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: A12] #3121569
02/14/23 08:14 PM
02/14/23 08:14 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline OP
migsBIG  Offline OP

San Jose,CA
Originally Posted by A12
Can you get a reproduction dash VIN tag made LEGALLY for any other manufacture ??? If not then one would have to question this? Another question Why if this is a potential legal business venture does this person need you to send them samples of VIN tags to "refine" the tooling?? And as noted Where is this legal? I'm sure it's legal in some Pacific Rim countries and other places NOT IN THE USA. Hey can you have them make up some counterfeit US money plates while they're at it for me I'm sure that's legal wherever that is too. wink

Not sure what the legal aspect of it is as it's NOT my company. I am addressing the originality in appearance of the stamping to meet with restoration needs, that is all. I will probably offer them advice on certain things as in making the tags out of aluminum instead of stainless steel, not applying any corporation identification to the tags and suggest they may not even paint them. This way they are not liable for licensing fees with Chrysler. All this is for is an original looking tag. Anything else is of no concern to me as it is not my product, not my company and I am not being compensated for anything.

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3121572
02/14/23 08:18 PM
02/14/23 08:18 PM
GA
roadrunninMark Offline
master
roadrunninMark  Offline
master

GA
Good luck with getting your repo tag,please keep posting your results. I had my vin tag off my car for over 10 years.. I bought a redone dash pad and had to send the old one in for a core but didn't have the correct rivets to put on new pad. So it went in storage with a lot of other parts. I was recently getting the parts together and I searched for 3 days on where I put the tag. I was starting to worry that I lost it. Luckily I found it but I was thinking if I hadn't, where could I get a repo. Having title, sheet and fender tag, I had plenty of reference showing the correct vin.

By the way, it is a 71 car and has the asterisks on the tag.

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3121667
02/15/23 07:54 AM
02/15/23 07:54 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
Originally Posted by A12

Not sure what the legal aspect of it is as it's NOT my company. I am addressing the originality in appearance of the stamping to meet with restoration needs, that is all. I will probably offer them advice on certain things as in making the tags out of aluminum instead of stainless steel, not applying any corporation identification to the tags and suggest they may not even paint them. This way they are not liable for licensing fees with Chrysler. All this is for is an original looking tag. Anything else is of no concern to me as it is not my product, not my company and I am not being compensated for anything.

Just my thoughts here and no comments other wise but if it’s made out of aluminum with no paint, it would be easy to spot. If it’s easy to spot by any law offecer as a manipulated vin tag, the entire car could be confiscated. Just saying.

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: fastmark] #3122049
02/16/23 02:06 PM
02/16/23 02:06 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline
master
DynoDave  Offline
master

MICHIGAN
Originally Posted by fastmark
Originally Posted by A12

Just my thoughts here and no comments other wise but if it’s made out of aluminum with no paint, it would be easy to spot. If it’s easy to spot by any law offecer as a manipulated vin tag, the entire car could be confiscated. Just saying.

Wouldn't a transfer like this fix that visual concern?

ECS TRANSFER

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: DynoDave] #3122280
02/17/23 11:08 AM
02/17/23 11:08 AM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline OP
migsBIG  Offline OP

San Jose,CA

Just my thoughts here and no comments other wise but if it’s made out of aluminum with no paint, it would be easy to spot. If it’s easy to spot by any law officer as a manipulated vin tag, the entire car could be confiscated. Just saying. [/quote]

Wouldn't a transfer like this fix that visual concern?

ECS TRANSFER

[/quote]

That is an option someone can take to make it more original. To be honest I don't think there is going to be much fuss over these tags. After my initial investigation into reproduction tags, I found out something very interesting. You literately can get the tooling to make tags that is cheaper than buying two sets of tags! No joke, I found no less than six in the united states and fourteen internationally that could make the tooling for the lettering for just a few hundred dollars that could be done in a home press. From the stainless tags to the paint stamp, a person could make sets if they wanted to do it. The two main reasons people didn't do this was lack of knowledge and laziness. Hopefully we can get out of this stigma of reproduction tags and go back to being a fun hobby again.

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3123933
02/23/23 11:38 AM
02/23/23 11:38 AM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Intent is what makes it Illegal. twocents

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: NITROUSN] #3123946
02/23/23 12:24 PM
02/23/23 12:24 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline OP
migsBIG  Offline OP

San Jose,CA
Still waiting on some doner vin tags to send in for comparison for tooling. The guy doing it wants to make them correct and I don't believe you need paperwork or broadcast sheet copy to make a vin tag, so it would be an easy restoration process for those without anything. Win/Win for everyone.

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: DAYCLONA] #3124117
02/23/23 09:25 PM
02/23/23 09:25 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Originally Posted by 6PakBee

Questions;

Agreed,....and if its the Canadian individual that I think it is......not a thing anyone can do about it, basically boils down to a MYOB for those that get their panties in a bunch over a piece of stamped tin....

The Feds can have a say.

Canadian source for the counterfeit? That brings customs on both sides of the border into play.

This could lead to a HUGE sting.

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: migsBIG] #3124121
02/23/23 09:32 PM
02/23/23 09:32 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Still waiting on some doner vin tags to send in for comparison for tooling. The guy doing it wants to make them correct and I don't believe you need paperwork or broadcast sheet copy to make a vin tag, so it would be an easy restoration process for those without anything. Win/Win for everyone.

Donor VIN tags?

Mere possession of a loose VIN tag is a Felony inside the USA.

California (that is where you are?) also has state laws against it.

If you send 'donor' VIN tags across state lines & across a border into another country, the felonies just add up to help prosecute you.

You want to 'help' a counterfeiter? At that point you become an accomplice to his crimes.

I do not know you personally, so I'll ask - are you so ignorant of the VIN laws that apply in this scenario that you are actually stupid? shruggy

You seem to be trying very hard to establish a criminal record, so I had to ask. twocents

Re: Need a repop vin tag. [Re: Alaskan_TA] #3124139
02/23/23 11:26 PM
02/23/23 11:26 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota

Donor VIN tags?

Mere possession of a loose VIN tag is a Felony inside the USA.

California (that is where you are?) also has state laws against it.

If you send 'donor' VIN tags across state lines & across a border into another country, the felonies just add up to help prosecute you.

You want to 'help' a counterfeiter? At that point you become an accomplice to his crimes.

I do not know you personally, so I'll ask - are you so ignorant of the VIN laws that apply in this scenario that you are actually stupid? shruggy

You seem to be trying very hard to establish a criminal record, so I had to ask. twocents

Please cite the legal references for those statements as I can find no backup for them other than you stating them on other forums. I sold an E-body dash pad. Removed the VIN prior to the sale. Am I going to be led away in handcuffs?

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4