Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: Guitar Jones] #3087493
10/19/22 01:09 PM
10/19/22 01:09 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 19,653
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 19,653
PA.

I don't think that is what he said at all. You seem to have made a pretty rash assumption.



Assumption hell. I hate thieves and paying for things they steal. How does Walmart make up for thieves???
When you leave things go unpunished it keeps happening.


1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time




Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: 440sourcedotcom] #3087495
10/19/22 01:16 PM
10/19/22 01:16 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 11,502
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 11,502
W. Kentucky
50 heads at $1000 each, I'd already have a lawyer working on it. If nothing else but for the principal of the whole deal. I'd also contact the BBB, not that it would do any good, but at least it would be there if people checked them out.

Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: justinp61] #3087505
10/19/22 01:41 PM
10/19/22 01:41 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,094
central texas
K
krautrock Offline
top fuel
krautrock  Offline
top fuel
K

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,094
central texas
it's probably 50 heads at ~ $300each if they were bare heads.
i think they are $1k complete and with CNC work.

Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: krautrock] #3087514
10/19/22 02:21 PM
10/19/22 02:21 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,564
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
master
JERICOGTX  Offline
master
J

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,564
MN
Bob must have attended the Bill Coon school of how to screw people over on Cylinder heads.


69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: JERICOGTX] #3087529
10/19/22 03:16 PM
10/19/22 03:16 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 30,213
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 30,213
Oregon
There are a lot of liars and cheats in the automotive parts business. When I first starting making car parts I thought it was a big happy family. I also figured Mopar guys would all be cool since we're all working to make parts for our buddies. I found out very quickly that some of the worst kinds of people are in the business of making and selling car parts, including some guys in the Mopar business. People who shake your hand, look you in the eye and then try to steal every dime you have. Hard lesson to learn. Fortunately is is only about 10% of the vendors. The other 90% are good folk.

Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: AndyF] #3087535
10/19/22 03:51 PM
10/19/22 03:51 PM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,157
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,157
Wichita
Originally Posted by AndyF
There are a lot of liars and cheats in the automotive parts business. When I first starting making car parts I thought it was a big happy family. I also figured Mopar guys would all be cool since we're all working to make parts for our buddies. I found out very quickly that some of the worst kinds of people are in the business of making and selling car parts, including some guys in the Mopar business. People who shake your hand, look you in the eye and then try to steal every dime you have. Hard lesson to learn. Fortunately is is only about 10% of the vendors. The other 90% are good folk.


Same way with building things for Mopar customers.

I've built a LOT of stock style 727's over the years and only had a couple get one over on me. Ironically it was people I thought were good friends and had known for years. "I just need it for the show this weekend and will pay you for it next week!" mad


'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: pittsburghracer] #3087543
10/19/22 04:30 PM
10/19/22 04:30 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,120
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,120
in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

I don't think that is what he said at all. You seem to have made a pretty rash assumption.



Assumption hell. I hate thieves and paying for things they steal. How does Walmart make up for thieves???
When you leave things go unpunished it keeps happening.


Well first of all 440 Source isn't Walmart that probably has millions stolen from them every year, this was a one time deal.

Originally Posted by krautrock
it's probably 50 heads at ~ $300each if they were bare heads.
i think they are $1k complete and with CNC work.


This is probably more accurate. I hate a thief too, but there is such a thing as a business loss, tax write off. So there is that, or they could have just decided to eat it and move on. It may have cost more in legal fees, and travel expenses alone than what it was worth.


I raise chickens, so I am literally a chicken tender.

The Scamp is sold, now just two old trucks and one newer one.
'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: Guitar Jones] #3087550
10/19/22 05:02 PM
10/19/22 05:02 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 738
Carson City, NV
440sourcedotcom Offline OP
super stock
440sourcedotcom  Offline OP
super stock

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 738
Carson City, NV
Quote


This is probably more accurate. I hate a thief too, but there is such a thing as a business loss, tax write off. So there is that, or they could have just decided to eat it and move on. It may have cost more in legal fees, and travel expenses alone than what it was worth.


Yes, it was a business loss (write off.) It wasn't a big enough amount to put us out of business, but it definitely hurt. We did eat it, and move on. Nobody wants to have that kind of money stolen from them. We work hard for every dollar just like I'm sure all of you do as well. There were no "written contracts" or anything like that. Jeff (was) and we are both "handshake" kind of guys. You are only as good as your word. My opinion is that if you feel you need a written contract in order for someone to keep their promises, you shouldn't be dealing with them in the first place. We had years of successful business together that had built up mutual trust. We assumed that would continue with his brother Bob. Turns out that was an expensive mistake.

Last edited by 440sourcedotcom; 10/19/22 05:02 PM.
Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: 440sourcedotcom] #3087557
10/19/22 05:13 PM
10/19/22 05:13 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 19,653
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 19,653
PA.



Well thanks at least for updating the post and telling us so some of us hopefully won’t be the next pawn. I know I won’t be.


1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time




Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: 440sourcedotcom] #3087562
10/19/22 05:29 PM
10/19/22 05:29 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 6,215
Heaven
EvilB1Dart Offline
master
EvilB1Dart  Offline
master

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 6,215
Heaven
OP,

4-years ago or today, sounds like the next order of business would be to call your State Attorney Generals office and the Michigan Attorney General's office about this. A call to one of the local MI news stations who enjoy taking on stories of businesses ripping people off would be on order also. Something could've been done about it regardless if a written contract was in-place or not. A pallet of heads didn't just leave one location to another on their own for no reason; there should be documents to prove that. If he ripped you off for Stealth heads, chances are he stiffed others for something too once the story broadens itself. I'd check with the MI AG's office about statues of limitations before giving up. Big business or small business, that's a lot of money I'd be chasing down. To hell with waiting on karma.......

FRAUD......wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain......has a statue of limitations in the State of Michigan for 6-years. You can easily work this from our office desk without ever calling an attorney for help. GO GET ALL YOUR MONEY, or at least some of it!


"Any fool can know. The point is to understand"

- A. Einstein
Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: EvilB1Dart] #3087575
10/19/22 06:14 PM
10/19/22 06:14 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 25,108
United Socialist States of Ame...
T
tboomer Offline
Too Many Posts
tboomer  Offline
Too Many Posts
T

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 25,108
United Socialist States of Ame...
I agree with Wes. Try to get your money!


The end is near.....
Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: EvilB1Dart] #3087578
10/19/22 06:26 PM
10/19/22 06:26 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,168
MI
6
68shifter Offline
super stock
68shifter  Offline
super stock
6

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,168
MI
Living in MI our attorney general is an absolute piece of trash. Unless it will benefit her you can forget about it going anywhere.

Sorry, but it’s just pathetic when people blow this off by minimizing the price of parts, writing it off as a business loss etc. Just more
of what’s wrong in this world.

Sorry this happened 440Source. $50 or $50 million a thief is a thief. I get your rationale but at the same I do wish you’d go after them or
even post a heads up on your site.


68' Barracuda (4 speed) 64' Savoy (4 speed) 65' Satellite (girl tranny)
Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: EvilB1Dart] #3087579
10/19/22 06:27 PM
10/19/22 06:27 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,885
CA
C
crackedback Offline
top fuel
crackedback  Offline
top fuel
C

Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,885
CA
Originally Posted by EvilB1Dart
OP,

4-years ago or today, sounds like the next order of business would be to call your State Attorney Generals office and the Michigan Attorney General's office about this. A call to one of the local MI news stations who enjoy taking on stories of businesses ripping people off would be on order also. Something could've been done about it regardless if a written contract was in-place or not. A pallet of heads didn't just leave one location to another on their own for no reason; there should be documents to prove that. If he ripped you off for Stealth heads, chances are he stiffed others for something too once the story broadens itself. I'd check with the MI AG's office about statues of limitations before giving up. Big business or small business, that's a lot of money I'd be chasing down. To hell with waiting on karma.......

FRAUD......wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain......has a statue of limitations in the State of Michigan for 6-years. You can easily work this from our office desk without ever calling an attorney for help. GO GET ALL YOUR MONEY, or at least some of it!


Probably more along the lines of embezzlement.

MCH/Bob was entrusted with an item they didn’t have ownership interest in and sold it for their benefit.

Embezzlement involves stealing by a defendant who has legal access to another's money or property but not legal ownership of it. This differs from theft where the defendant has neither legal access nor ownership over the stolen property (like stealing someone's car out of their garage).

Same 6 year statute of limitations as the fraud comment above. I’d be making a call…

Last edited by crackedback; 10/19/22 06:27 PM.
Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: 440sourcedotcom] #3087580
10/19/22 06:36 PM
10/19/22 06:36 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,961
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,961
Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by 440sourcedotcom
Quote


This is probably more accurate. I hate a thief too, but there is such a thing as a business loss, tax write off. So there is that, or they could have just decided to eat it and move on. It may have cost more in legal fees, and travel expenses alone than what it was worth.


Yes, it was a business loss (write off.) It wasn't a big enough amount to put us out of business, but it definitely hurt. We did eat it, and move on. Nobody wants to have that kind of money stolen from them. We work hard for every dollar just like I'm sure all of you do as well. There were no "written contracts" or anything like that. Jeff (was) and we are both "handshake" kind of guys. You are only as good as your word. My opinion is that if you feel you need a written contract in order for someone to keep their promises, you shouldn't be dealing with them in the first place. We had years of successful business together that had built up mutual trust. We assumed that would continue with his brother Bob. Turns out that was an expensive mistake.


That was my second thought. If there was documentation or if they were just sent. As screwed up as the legal system is now, could have ended up his word against yours.

Would have been a tough pill to swallow. I've been burglarized, knew who did it and couldn't get anything done. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth and a little less trustful. I really hate thieves.


If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: crackedback] #3087581
10/19/22 06:37 PM
10/19/22 06:37 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,120
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,120
in a cattle trailer down by th...
Well when it's your turn you can proceed as you see fit, no one has a right to tell anyone else how they should handle their situation.


I raise chickens, so I am literally a chicken tender.

The Scamp is sold, now just two old trucks and one newer one.
'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: AndyF] #3087631
10/19/22 08:37 PM
10/19/22 08:37 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 9,638
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
master
SomeCarGuy  Offline
master
S

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 9,638
Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by AndyF
There are a lot of liars and cheats in the automotive parts business. When I first starting making car parts I thought it was a big happy family. I also figured Mopar guys would all be cool since we're all working to make parts for our buddies. I found out very quickly that some of the worst kinds of people are in the business of making and selling car parts, including some guys in the Mopar business. People who shake your hand, look you in the eye and then try to steal every dime you have. Hard lesson to learn. Fortunately is is only about 10% of the vendors. The other 90% are good folk.


I talked to a guy who is friends with the Lucas tire guy. He told me quite the sordid tale about Firestone redlines and how Lucas acquired the molds and how Coker ended up selling them. It is pretty crazy somebody would marry a tire heiress and walk away with a tire mold, then somebody else copies the tire and it goes to court.


I want my fair share
Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: 440sourcedotcom] #3087734
10/20/22 09:03 AM
10/20/22 09:03 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,839
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
master
DaveRS23  Offline
master
D

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,839
Benton, IL.
I have been through similar situations. It is a lot of time and trouble to pursue a thief especially when the chances of any real satisfaction is near zero. The only real reason to give the thief any more of your attention is so that others may become aware of it and not get ripped off themselves. If the States Attorney, BBB, local business organizations and every Mopar group and board you can think of were made aware of this, maybe a future victim would get the message. You could get some satisfaction out of that while doing a real service to your own customer base.

And be sure to post the sordid story on your own web site.

twocents


KOS
Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: DaveRS23] #3087770
10/20/22 10:52 AM
10/20/22 10:52 AM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,309
Tulsa, Oklahoma
340Cuda Offline
master
340Cuda  Offline
master

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,309
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Legal actions can take a lot of time, money and be emotionally draining.

I can fully understand why someone would just let Karma deal with the issue.

Even before this I had decided years ago that Modern Cylinder was not a place I would want to do business.

Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: 340Cuda] #3087774
10/20/22 11:12 AM
10/20/22 11:12 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,579
N/E, Michigan
RATTRAP Offline
pro stock
RATTRAP  Offline
pro stock

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,579
N/E, Michigan
Bob's Last Name Lets get it out there!

Re: Anyone talked to Bob at Modern Cylinder Head? [Re: RATTRAP] #3087780
10/20/22 11:29 AM
10/20/22 11:29 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,933
Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,933
Marion, South Carolina [><]
Originally Posted by RATTRAP
Bob's Last Name Lets get it out there!

Modern Cylinder Head Inc. (MCH) founded in 1996 by Jeff Kobylski.
On July 21, 2013 Jeff lost his battle with Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma.

Bob, Jeff's brother, is now running Modern Cylinder Head.


CHIP
'70 hemicuda...8 sec street car
'69 road runner 440-6, 4 speed
'71 Demon 340
'73 Chrysler New Yorker
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax...toy hauler
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6






Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1