07/24/22 02:58 AM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Originally Posted by TC@HP2
Its hard to say as the butt dyno and how its applied to handling can be very subjective calls. Its even possible that cars can be mechanically capable of each other but one simply feels better because of geometry, alignment, seating, or any of a myriad of differences.

When I played in the GM world, street performance spring rates were around 400#, which is around 200# in the torsion bar world. Classic Mopars can easily get to that point. Then it becomes controlling the motion (shocks) and improving the geometry where ever possible. Mopars overall have better geometry than many of their contemporaries, but the shared cast/camber of the upper arm eccentrics become limits pretty quickly when chasing down really good alignment numbers.
and that’s why he needs to go ahead and run adjustable upper UCA,s. I’m thinking I got twice the amount of adjustment out of my SPC,s then my old offset moog bushings. Can’t remember the numbers but when I get it put back together again I’ll have the alignment guy to write it down.

Re: Torsion Bar Upgrade - Ride quality? [Re: cudazappa] #3077808
09/16/22 12:44 PM
09/16/22 12:44 PM
Saint Peters, MO
B
Brian Offline
super stock
Brian  Offline
super stock
B

Saint Peters, MO
Originally Posted by cudazappa
Another problem with larger torsion bars is that the chassis may not be able to handle the larger bars. Essentially the unibody becomes a spring. If subframe connectors, torque boxes, etc have been added, larger bars become more effective.

I think this statement is the most over looked issue when upgrading to a larger torsion bar. With a STIFF chassis, you can run larger bars and not effect the ride. I run 1.02" bars in my 6.1 Hemi Duster with the complete US Car Tool Level 2 Chassis Stiffening Kit and it's not stiff riding, but it sure doesn't lean into corners!

1971 6.1 Gen III Hemi Duster
Re: Torsion Bar Upgrade - Ride quality? [Re: Brian] #3083922
10/06/22 09:19 PM
10/06/22 09:19 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Brian
Originally Posted by cudazappa
Another problem with larger torsion bars is that the chassis may not be able to handle the larger bars. Essentially the unibody becomes a spring. If subframe connectors, torque boxes, etc have been added, larger bars become more effective.

I think this statement is the most over looked issue when upgrading to a larger torsion bar. With a STIFF chassis, you can run larger bars and not effect the ride. I run 1.02" bars in my 6.1 Hemi Duster with the complete US Car Tool Level 2 Chassis Stiffening Kit and it's not stiff riding, but it sure doesn't lean into corners!

Actually that is incorrect "common sense" thinking.
No chassis is perfectly stiff, every chassis has spring, and factors into the final equation. A stiff(er) chassis is always preferred, as it narrows down the items that are tunable by choice and with ease.
A stiffer chassis likely needs a softer TB for equal handling characteristics, applications, same concept applies to higher tire pressures or lower profile tires.
A stiffer chassis with stiffer TB's will move the performance envelope higher, if tires, brakes, engine and driver can achieve it.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Torsion Bar Upgrade - Ride quality? [Re: jcc] #3083959
10/07/22 12:17 AM
10/07/22 12:17 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Whoa.....where the heck have you been??

Page 2 of 2 1 2