Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Oil Change At Chrysler Dealer Upsell? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #3081522
09/28/22 05:41 PM
09/28/22 05:41 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,532
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,532
Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Originally Posted by 340Cuda
I recently had he oil changed in my 2008 D3500 Cummins at one of the local Dodge dealerships.

I was told they had nothing but synthetic oils.


Getting hard to find conventional oil in parts stores, unless you buy the house brand (NAPA, Fram).


This is very true - products in general. I use Castrol Syntec 0W40 for my 2016 Challenger Scat Pack & cannot find it in any stores around me. I just ordered two jugs of it online today through Amazon. Hey - what are you gonna do? I prefer to support brick & mortar, but they ain't got!


Syntec name has been discontinued. Edge is the top of the line Castrol now. Ask them for the European stuff. May have it stuck somewhere other than the oil racks if it's not out front. Use part numbers. Works better than descriptions for some of the counter monkeys.

5W40 may be easier to find.


If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Oil Change At Chrysler Dealer Upsell? [Re: 6PakBee] #3081572
09/28/22 08:39 PM
09/28/22 08:39 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,925
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,925
aZLiViN
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
I went through the same thing when we bought our 2010 Cummins. Owners manual calls for 5W-40 full synthetic or "engine damage may occur". OK, I call up the dealership and ask them about this. I tell them that the other Cummins we had never had this requirement (1998, 2001, 2005) and all I ever used was 15W-40 conventional. They tell me that they use 15W-40 conventional in all their Cummins and have not had any problems. So I ask if I use 15W-40 conventional and have an engine problem, will they warranty it? Crickets at first and then the music began with the dancing to follow. So I've been using the Valvoline 5W-40 full synthetic. Cheap insurance.


2010 would run 15/40 and 5w/40 if you live in an ice box….. like Nord Dakota
Honestly if your 2010 is stock the oils getting so polluted with the regen strategy that synthetic is a waste. Regen is why they have the service reminder. At a calculated interval of 2-3% oil dilution the “oil change required” message comes up. They “said” that they’d tested up to 10% dilution without any ill findings. The 08-12 6.7 (pre DEF) they recommended at oil change to have the level at the “S” in safe on the stick. That would give room for growth due to fuel dilution….. I never thought I’d see the day where it was “normal” for the oil level to rise during a service interval. 08-12 was a must to delete imho……

Re: Oil Change At Chrysler Dealer Upsell? [Re: CMcAllister] #3081647
09/29/22 10:17 AM
09/29/22 10:17 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,149
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,149
Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Originally Posted by 340Cuda
I recently had he oil changed in my 2008 D3500 Cummins at one of the local Dodge dealerships.

I was told they had nothing but synthetic oils.


Getting hard to find conventional oil in parts stores, unless you buy the house brand (NAPA, Fram).


This is very true - products in general. I use Castrol Syntec 0W40 for my 2016 Challenger Scat Pack & cannot find it in any stores around me. I just ordered two jugs of it online today through Amazon. Hey - what are you gonna do? I prefer to support brick & mortar, but they ain't got!


Syntec name has been discontinued. Edge is the top of the line Castrol now. Ask them for the European stuff. May have it stuck somewhere other than the oil racks if it's not out front. Use part numbers. Works better than descriptions for some of the counter monkeys.

5W40 may be easier to find.


Sorry - I meant Edge.


No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Oil Change At Chrysler Dealer Upsell? [Re: J_BODY] #3081656
09/29/22 10:35 AM
09/29/22 10:35 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,741
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
master
6PakBee  Offline
master

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,741
North Dakota
Originally Posted by J_BODY
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
I went through the same thing when we bought our 2010 Cummins. Owners manual calls for 5W-40 full synthetic or "engine damage may occur". OK, I call up the dealership and ask them about this. I tell them that the other Cummins we had never had this requirement (1998, 2001, 2005) and all I ever used was 15W-40 conventional. They tell me that they use 15W-40 conventional in all their Cummins and have not had any problems. So I ask if I use 15W-40 conventional and have an engine problem, will they warranty it? Crickets at first and then the music began with the dancing to follow. So I've been using the Valvoline 5W-40 full synthetic. Cheap insurance.


2010 would run 15/40 and 5w/40 if you live in an ice box….. like Nord Dakota
Honestly if your 2010 is stock the oils getting so polluted with the regen strategy that synthetic is a waste. Regen is why they have the service reminder. At a calculated interval of 2-3% oil dilution the “oil change required” message comes up. They “said” that they’d tested up to 10% dilution without any ill findings. The 08-12 6.7 (pre DEF) they recommended at oil change to have the level at the “S” in safe on the stick. That would give room for growth due to fuel dilution….. I never thought I’d see the day where it was “normal” for the oil level to rise during a service interval. 08-12 was a must to delete imho……


Okay, I'm confused. I thought that with a Cummins, during the filter regeneration raw diesel fuel was injected ahead of the catalytic converter to raise the exhaust temp to 'burn' the filter out. If this is the case, how does this contribute to oil dilution?


"Only the best and brightest"
Re: Oil Change At Chrysler Dealer Upsell? [Re: 6PakBee] #3081868
09/30/22 12:06 AM
09/30/22 12:06 AM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,925
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,925
aZLiViN
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Originally Posted by J_BODY
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
I went through the same thing when we bought our 2010 Cummins. Owners manual calls for 5W-40 full synthetic or "engine damage may occur". OK, I call up the dealership and ask them about this. I tell them that the other Cummins we had never had this requirement (1998, 2001, 2005) and all I ever used was 15W-40 conventional. They tell me that they use 15W-40 conventional in all their Cummins and have not had any problems. So I ask if I use 15W-40 conventional and have an engine problem, will they warranty it? Crickets at first and then the music began with the dancing to follow. So I've been using the Valvoline 5W-40 full synthetic. Cheap insurance.


2010 would run 15/40 and 5w/40 if you live in an ice box….. like Nord Dakota
Honestly if your 2010 is stock the oils getting so polluted with the regen strategy that synthetic is a waste. Regen is why they have the service reminder. At a calculated interval of 2-3% oil dilution the “oil change required” message comes up. They “said” that they’d tested up to 10% dilution without any ill findings. The 08-12 6.7 (pre DEF) they recommended at oil change to have the level at the “S” in safe on the stick. That would give room for growth due to fuel dilution….. I never thought I’d see the day where it was “normal” for the oil level to rise during a service interval. 08-12 was a must to delete imho……


Okay, I'm confused. I thought that with a Cummins, during the filter regeneration raw diesel fuel was injected ahead of the catalytic converter to raise the exhaust temp to 'burn' the filter out. If this is the case, how does this contribute to oil dilution?


Fuel gets past the rings….. the oil level will rise in that era.

Re: Oil Change At Chrysler Dealer Upsell? [Re: 3hundred] #3082102
09/30/22 09:26 PM
09/30/22 09:26 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,701
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,701
WI
Originally Posted by 3hundred
Originally Posted by justinp61
Did you check the owners manual?


FWIW, to me, synthetic oil and nitrogen for tires are of quite dubious benefit, and considering the cost, given a choice, I wouldn't pay the difference. Near 50 years ago I was a mechanic, I've NEVER seen an oil failure, seen plenty of lack of maintenance failures. Just keep the oil and fluids changed. 2¢


You are aware engines have changed drastically in 50 yrs...right? Clearances, OHC, DOHC, VVT, DOD,AFM,mechanical high pressure fuel pumps, variable displacement oil pumps...the list goes on...those are all part of modern lube systems. You can mess with manufacture suggestions all you want.....I would not!

Re: Oil Change At Chrysler Dealer Upsell? [Re: Dcuda69] #3082118
09/30/22 11:27 PM
09/30/22 11:27 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,172
Fort Worth, Texas
3hundred Offline
master
3hundred  Offline
master

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,172
Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Originally Posted by 3hundred
Originally Posted by justinp61
Did you check the owners manual?


FWIW, to me, synthetic oil and nitrogen for tires are of quite dubious benefit, and considering the cost, given a choice, I wouldn't pay the difference. Near 50 years ago I was a mechanic, I've NEVER seen an oil failure, seen plenty of lack of maintenance failures. Just keep the oil and fluids changed. 2¢


You are aware engines have changed drastically in 50 yrs...right? Clearances, OHC, DOHC, VVT, DOD,AFM,mechanical high pressure fuel pumps, variable displacement oil pumps...the list goes on...those are all part of modern lube systems. You can mess with manufacture suggestions all you want.....I would not!


You did note synthetic is NOT required in this application, 2018 Jeep GC, 3.6? IIRC, full synthetic is only required for SRT's at this time. I think the biggest move in synthetics these days is in the 0W category. As I recall from the "old days" extreme temperature breakdown resistance was the primary benefit of full synthetics. I AM using it (5W-20) in our newer cars because the dealer quit offering semi synthetic, full synthetic is NOT required AT LEAST ACCORDING to Chrysler. MS-6395 IS required.

With that out of the way, there is a case to be made for full synthetic in the 3.6 because of failing rocker arms. Is it an oiling failure, design issue, quality issue? dunno. Early Pentastars required 5W-30, in 2013 they changed it to 5W-20. Only the first guess do we have any control over, but there's LOT's of failed 3.6 rocker arms that have ONLY been fed a diet of full synthetics, so crapshoot.

FWIW, our Hemi lifters are noisy no matter what oil they're fed.

For the cost of nitrogen, I'll go through the drill of adding air every fall.


'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'93 Ramcharger 5.7 Hemi
'93 Ramcharger 318 sold
'01 3500 4x4 Cummins 6 speed sold RIP bawling
'13 300 S sold
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: Oil Change At Chrysler Dealer Upsell? [Re: 3hundred] #3082350
10/01/22 08:02 PM
10/01/22 08:02 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,149
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,149
Highland, MI.
Neither dealer I talked to could tell me when Chrysler started "requiring" the 3.6 to use nothing but 0w20. My 300 is a 2016 & the Dodge dealer does all the oil changes & uses semi-syn 5w20. So far, no rocker arm issues, even though I get clatter which is quite audible when the engine is cold - takes about 10 minutes of driving before it subsides. I've had two dealers look for this & they come back with "no rocker arm issues" each time. Personally, looking at repair videos & listening to what the Chrysler techs are saying, I don't see how these rocker assemblies can remain trouble-free in under 100,000 miles. Same thing with the driveshaft center support bearings on the 300's & Chargers. THEY ARE ALL GOING TO FAIL PREMATURELY! If you are driving a late model Charger or 300 & you are starting to feel a driveline vibration at highway speeds, it's the center support bearing! It's a 2-grand repair if you are out of warranty.

Rant off.


No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Oil Change At Chrysler Dealer Upsell? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #3082555
10/02/22 06:31 PM
10/02/22 06:31 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 442
Central NY
G
GarageDodge Offline
mopar
GarageDodge  Offline
mopar
G

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 442
Central NY
My wifes 12t&c van with3.6 calls for 5w-30 for oil 298kand no problems with anything in the engine,Sons 2016 chrysler 300 with a 3.6 198k calls for 5w-20no problems both were bought with less than 30k on them oil &filter changed every 4000miles.

Re: Oil Change At Chrysler Dealer Upsell? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #3083034
10/03/22 07:57 PM
10/03/22 07:57 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,925
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,925
aZLiViN
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Neither dealer I talked to could tell me when Chrysler started "requiring" the 3.6 to use nothing but 0w20.


Something else to consider is that the 0-20 oil may be recommended as that’s how they tested the engine and “maybe” they were able to see a slight mpg improvement. EPA loves when corporate can show them that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2






Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1