09/29/22 01:38 PM
09/29/22 01:38 PM
massachusetts U.S.A.
1969ronnie Offline
super stock
1969ronnie  Offline
super stock

massachusetts U.S.A.
wave I have 4 BACKYARD BUDDY lifts in my place . 3 of the Buddy Lifts are 7,000 OverHeights , and 1 is a 9,000 OverHeight Lift for My 1 Ton Quigley 4X4 V-10 Van . ALL Made in the U.S.A. with USA Steel . None were Cheap , and can hold a Tank without moving around . And when I retire , I'll sell them and get a lot of my money back . boogie and My 2 Post Work Lift is a 10,000 pound MOHAWK , which does Not apply to this post . drive Ronnie

Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: Hemi_Joel] #3081689
09/29/22 01:43 PM
09/29/22 01:43 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Originally Posted by TJP
Back in 2005, I bought a bend pack XT-XL 9000. I bought it from some outfit online where it was ridiculously cheap, about $2,300 bucks if I remember right including truck freight. I had them ship it to a truck terminal down in the city so I didn't have to try and unload it from a truck at my place. Then I went to the truck terminal with my open car trailer and had them set it on the trailer. When I got home I cut the banding off of it and with the help of one or two strong friends, we unloaded it one piece at a time and set it up.
I have looked at the backyard buddy, as well as other lifts at shows. I really like the backyard buddy. If I was to buy another lift, I would not buy a bend pack, I would buy a backyard buddy. It seems much more stable and better designed.

out of curiosity, why are you not liking the bend pak ? I had an hd-12 since 2005 ? or so and no complaints. the only issues I've had were due to lack of maintenance spank. It's pretty much seen daily use (not like a muffler shop) but has been used way more than a 'hobbyist lift" no real complaints other than parts that have been needed are a bit $$$ beer

My bend pack has a tendency to sway a bit when the vehicle is raised up high and you put a bunch of side pressure on it. It kind of sways back and forth which is a little unnerving. I should note that it is not fastened to the floor, it is freestanding. But it is designed for that. I have a wheel kit so I can move it around. Also the safety latches to keep the car from falling if a cable breaks are each operated by an individual air cylinder, which is controlled by a single air switch. I have had problems when lowering it where one of the safety latches does not release all the way and then the vehicle starts coming down on three posts but not the other and goes out of level. I have to pay really close attention to make sure that doesn't happen or else it could collapse. There is no way for the operator to know if all the safety latch is released except to begin lowering the vehicle and see if it comes down level.
When I looked at the backyard buddy, The vertical legs were square box tubes. The carriage rode up and down on tubes that fit tightly around the legs. I had them raise it up and I pushed on the side of it and it seemed like it is more stable against sway than the band pack that has three sided legs and internal sliders for the carriage. And the backyard buddy had a mechanical linkage going to each safety latch so that one of them could not stick without the operator feeling it on the control lever.

Mine is bolted and I have never experienced a problem with the latches. I will look on mine but I believe the height of the latch plates are independently adjustable and should all engage at the same time. Only other thing I could think of is the spring loaded latch is not functioning properly. Whatever the issue is I would investigate and get it corrected as it is a definite safety issue that could have catastrophic consequences frown
beer

Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: TJP] #3081700
09/29/22 02:09 PM
09/29/22 02:09 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
not to be a problem on the OP's post but IMO,
ALI certification should be a requirement for any lift sold. Here's a link to a video that explains things a little bit more beer

VIDEO LINKY ON ALI CERTIFICATION

Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: TJP] #3081789
09/29/22 07:56 PM
09/29/22 07:56 PM
MICHIGAN
DynoDave Offline
master
DynoDave  Offline
master

MICHIGAN
Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE
I bought mine locally from Uresco. I ran out of room and had to start stacking Mopars in my garage.

That's who I was going to buy from some year back, then got a deal on a used one from a friend of mine. They seem like a good bunch of folks.

My bend pack has a tendency to sway a bit when the vehicle is raised up high and you put a bunch of side pressure on it. It kind of sways back and forth which is a little unnerving. I should note that it is not fastened to the floor, it is freestanding. But it is designed for that. I have a wheel kit so I can move it around. Also the safety latches to keep the car from falling if a cable breaks are each operated by an individual air cylinder, which is controlled by a single air switch. I have had problems when lowering it where one of the safety latches does not release all the way and then the vehicle starts coming down on three posts but not the other and goes out of level. I have to pay really close attention to make sure that doesn't happen or else it could collapse. There is no way for the operator to know if all the safety latch is released except to begin lowering the vehicle and see if it comes down level.
When I looked at the backyard buddy, The vertical legs were square box tubes. The carriage rode up and down on tubes that fit tightly around the legs. I had them raise it up and I pushed on the side of it and it seemed like it is more stable against sway than the band pack that has three sided legs and internal sliders for the carriage. And the backyard buddy had a mechanical linkage going to each safety latch so that one of them could not stick without the operator feeling it on the control lever.

Movement is scary to me. The Backyard Buddy was my favorite when I was shopping. Not at all cheap, but very nice.

Originally Posted by TJP
IMO, ALI certification should be a requirement for any lift sold.

up

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: TJP] #3081816
09/29/22 09:02 PM
09/29/22 09:02 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Originally Posted by TJP
ALI certification should be a requirement for any lift sold. Here's a link to a video that explains things a little bit more beer

I read the ALI site thoroughly. The problem I have is they only have one level of certification, which I assume is based on commercial, not consumer, use. The reason this is important it it means a consumer is likely over buying because the lift won't go through anywhere near as many cycles as it would in a commercial setting. It's a shame they don't have a consumer level of testing since people only using them for a hobby have no way of knowing the quality of a lift without paying a high price for a lift certified for commercial use.

No longer taking $h!t from anyone!
Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: DUFFMAN] #3081832
09/29/22 09:24 PM
09/29/22 09:24 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
My buddy just put a garage up and bought an Advantage lift. I'm sure he sourced it through a local distributor. Maybe a Google search would get you some info? We are in SE WI. If I get any more details/info I'll pass it on.

Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: DUFFMAN] #3081841
09/29/22 09:43 PM
09/29/22 09:43 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by DUFFMAN
Originally Posted by TJP

I read the ALI site thoroughly. The problem I have is they only have one level of certification, which I assume is based on commercial, not consumer, use. The reason this is important it it means a consumer is likely over buying because the lift won't go through anywhere near as many cycles as it would in a commercial setting. It's a shame they don't have a consumer level of testing since people only using them for a hobby have no way of knowing the quality of a lift without paying a high price for a lift certified for commercial use.

Valid point, but when someone's life could be at stake I' say spend the $$. a 1000 or 1500.00 isn't worth it to me>
I don't know what the certification costs but for some reason I don't think it's cheap but it's worth a premium to me.
My first two lifts, when it was still a hobby for me, came from a company named Auto Lifters out of Wichita KS. Both lifts were made here and certified. Great company They could not compete with the overseas garbage so the owner said rather than lower his standards/cost he shut the business down. pity

Last edited by TJP; 09/29/22 09:47 PM.
Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: DUFFMAN] #3081844
09/29/22 09:52 PM
09/29/22 09:52 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
Originally Posted by TJP

Yeah with all the cheap chinese crap you can get these days it's too bad there's not some sort of minimum certification. So that you know what you're getting is actually safe but you're not paying a premium for commercial unit.

Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: TJP] #3081845
09/29/22 09:56 PM
09/29/22 09:56 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by TJP

Valid point, but when someone's life could be at stake I' say spend the $$. a 1000 or 1500.00 isn't worth it to me>

And that's the quandary. I have a finite budget for my garage. I agree that the assurance of safety is worth the extra money, but if I spend another $2000 on a lift I'm going to have to give up on something else.

Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: DUFFMAN] #3081886
09/30/22 07:21 AM
09/30/22 07:21 AM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Last night I sent an inquire to a local place that sells Forward lift, which are built by Rotary.

Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: DUFFMAN] #3082095
09/30/22 09:27 PM
09/30/22 09:27 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
And that's the quandary. I have a finite budget for my garage. I agree that the assurance of safety is worth the extra money, but if I spend another $2000 on a lift I'm going to have to give up on something else.

just make sure it's not you life as the 2k won't matter at that point nor will what you bought with it wink just trying to be helpful not a smart a-- up

Reminds me of years ago a buddy stopped by ona Sat. and said I just saw the best license plate frame yet! i said OK what'd say? He says get me a beer first.
I hand him the beer:

He proceeds to say "He who dies with the most toys, is DEAD". Whoa, that made me think a bit shock

I almost stopped him at the comma and said that's older than you thinking he was going to say WINS.

Last edited by TJP; 09/30/22 09:28 PM.
Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: TJP] #3082121
10/01/22 02:39 AM
10/01/22 02:39 AM
massachusetts U.S.A.
1969ronnie Offline
super stock
1969ronnie  Offline
super stock

massachusetts U.S.A.
wave Agree with above Post , thats why I bought Backyard Buddy's after bumping into my friends 4 post Rotary Challenger Lifts with a heavy 59 Dodge on it . He started Screaming at me because he thought it was going to fall over onto his next lift with another 60F 300 on it . Made in China and flopped around like it was on springs with the cars in the Air ! But I said Yours is ALI certified ! I said I wouldn't put a VW Beetle on this Chinese ALI certified Lift , and called Backyard Buddy ! ALI Certified or not , My USA with USA Steel Lifts don't move , Especially the Monster 9,000 Pound Backyard Buddy Lift with My VANZILLA on it ! iagree

Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: 1969ronnie] #3082150
10/01/22 10:10 AM
10/01/22 10:10 AM
MD
RTSE4ME Offline
top fuel
RTSE4ME  Offline
top fuel

MD
I have a Rotary Revolution 4 post before they started to offshore them. Got it off Craigslist for $2k and had a rollback haul it to my garage and roll it in.

IMG_7372.jpg
Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: RTSE4ME] #3082180
10/01/22 11:33 AM
10/01/22 11:33 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
I got mine from a local Meineke that they where selling because they where putting in a 2 post lift. $1200 it was a no brainer, When i came to pick it up the guy said he got a ton of replies about it. I looked everywhere to find a manufacture name but nothing. The cylinder was leaking so repacked it and it's good as new. Still don't know who made it but if it's in a chain repair shop it's not cheap o. Looks very similar to this.
[Linked Image]

Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: Moparite] #3082232
10/01/22 02:05 PM
10/01/22 02:05 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i just wished i had room for a lift ! frown
when i replaced the roof on my garage, i had thought about raising it and adding a second story or a loft.
that was the perfect time to do it, but like the dumazz that i am, i didn't do it.
been kicking my a$$ ever since. [ my old man : "get a bag full'a quarters and back up to the a$$ kickin' machine !" ]
beer

Re: Where to buy a 4 post lift? [Re: TJP] #3082358
10/01/22 09:23 PM
10/01/22 09:23 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Originally Posted by TJP

just make sure it's not you life as the 2k won't matter at that point nor will what you bought with it wink just trying to be helpful not a smart a-- up

If that' what it takes to be safe so be it. But I don't want to spend the money just for a sticker.

Page 2 of 2 1 2